Greek Style Tortilla Wraps

Greek Style Tortillas.JPG

During summer, fruits and vegetables can be found in abundance here. It is this time of season, when all of us consume as many as possible and our summer dishes are making a very good use of them. Apart from s/m where vegetables are sold, usually the best quality ones, can be found either in small greengroceries or in farmer’s market.

Greengroceries exist almost in every neighborhood just like bakeries, drugstores and butcheries. They buy from producers and their prices are more expensive than the ones of the s/m.

Greek Style Tortillas.JPG

Farmer’s markets are programmed to take place once a week in every neighborhood. The municipality chooses one road that is big enough to carry the market, but not as important to the local transportation as to create a jam and closes it down once a week for the market to take place. At six o’clock in the morning all sellers are all set behind their booths that are loaded with vegetables and fruits of all kinds. People from the area start visiting and buying their fresh produce. At 3 to 3.30 in the afternoon the farmer’s market closes down, farmers pick up their stuff and leave. Once the road is empty from people, the garbage trucks pass by and clean the area from the trash, so as for the road to be given back to traffic. The municipality collects a special fee from each and every farmer in order to provide this service.

Greek Style Tortillas.JPG

In farmer’s market the rule of every free market is applied. In early morning, prices of produce are high. As time passes by, farmers start lowering their prices, so as to sell as much as possible from their yield. Of course, price and quality go hand in hand in this case. In the morning you buy expensive, but you get the very best of everything. As day passes by, what is left starts to be of inferior quality and thus the price is equivalent.

Unfortunately, where I live, farmer’s market takes place every Friday, which makes it impossible for me to visit, since I am working. So, I buy my greens form the local greengrocer. Nevertheless, these days that I was on holidays and stayed for a few days at home after returning from our trip, I had the chance to visit and buy some really good stuff from my farmer’s market.

Greek Style Tortillas.JPG

I was thinking what to do with them, as I wanted to change from the ordinary, classic, summer, vegetable dishes and so I decided to make these tortilla wraps. They are very easy to make and they are the perfect snack for the office or a light lunch or supper. I dressed them with a Greek yogurt/feta cheese sauce to give them a Greek twist and it matched perfectly with the vegetables. Very refreshing and tasty choice especially during warm summer days.

Greek Style Tortillas.JPG

For the Yogurt/Feta Sauce
  • 200 ml / 7 fl oz. Greek yogurt
  • 100 gr. / 4 oz. feta cheese
  • 1 garlic clove
  • ¼ tsp dried mint
  • Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 200° C / 400° F.
  2. Arrange vegetables including onions so one doesn’t overlap the other.
  3. Drizzle with olive oil and salt them.
  4. Bake until they become soft.
  5. Remove and let them cool, while you prepare the sauce
For the Yogurt/Feta Sauce
  1. In a blender add all the ingredients and pulse until they are all incorporated.
Assembly
  1. Take a tortilla, add some veggies and top with couple of spoons of the sauce.
  2. They can be eaten warm or at room temperature but the sauce must be somewhat cold.

Τορτίγιες Ολικής Άλεσης με Ψητά Λαχανικά και Σάλτσα Φέτας/Γιαουρτιού

Για τη σάλτσα με Γιαούρτι/Φέτα
  • 200 ml γιαούρτι
  • 100 γρ. τυρί φέτα
  • 1 σκελίδα σκόρδο
  • ¼ κ.γ. ξηρό δυόσμο
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι

1. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
  2. Τακτοποιήστε τα λαχανικά συμπεριλαμβανομένων και των κρεμμυδιών έτσι ώστε το ένα να μην επικαλύπτει το άλλο.
  3. Ρίξτε λίγο ελαιόλαδο και αλάτι.
  4. Ψήστε μέχρι να μαλακώσουν.
  5. Βγάλτε τα από το φούρνο και αφήστε τα να κρυώσουν, ενώ ετοιμάζετε τη σάλτσα
Για τη σάλτσα με Γιαούρτι/Φέτα
  1. Σε ένα μπλέντερ προσθέστε όλα τα συστατικά και χτυπήστε τα μέχρι να ενσωματωθούν.
Συναρμολόγηση
  1. Πάρτε μια τορτίγια, προσθέστε μερικά λαχανικά και από πάνω δυο κουταλιές της σούπας σάλτσα.
  2. Τρώγονται ζεστά ή σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου, αλλά η σάλτσα πρέπει να είναι κάπως δροσερή.

39 Responses to Greek Style Tortilla Wraps

1. ωραίο, υγιεινό και καλοκαιρινό!!
    απίθανο!!

3. These look delicious and your photos are gorgeous! I’d love to have you come link up at my homemaking party. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Blessings,
    Sarah

5. What a wonderful combo! Looks super yum…

I would bet with closed eyes that anything Greek style would be luscious and especially if you have created it. These tortillas look fabulous.

9. How unusual. Love the sound of the sauce.

Love that feta sauce. Great way to use the best of summer veggies.

13. Judy says:

Thanks for coming and linking up at #The Weekend Social. Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST The Midnight Baker ! I hope to see you there!
    Judy@ http://www.bakeatmidnite.com

15. These look so good with all those veggies and the creamy feta sauce! Have a great weekend!

17. Oh, I could just douse everything in that delicious feta sauce! What a lovely accompaniment to these wraps. I haven’t made eggplant in ages and this makes me crave it :)

19. Debi says:

Just gorgeous! I could really go for one, or more, right now.

21. My hubbie and I love making all kinds of wraps and yours look sooooo good! I also love that we can have a filling meatless meal that is delicious as well!

23. Love these delicious Greek Style Tortilla Wraps, Katerina! What a wonderful vegetarian dish for lunch or dinner!

Oh, how I love these wraps! Both the filling and sauce sound wonderful!!!

27. What a great idea Katerina. Looks yummy!

29. Susie Gall says:

These look delicious and healthy. I love summer veges and this recipe is a great way to serve them. YUM!!

31. Platter Talk says:

Beautiful and delicious creation you have put together here; I would love just one of these wraps, for starters :-)

33. I am officially in love with this recipe for Greek Style Tortilla Wraps!
    The ingredients look so refreshing and healthy! Thank you for sharing another fantastic Greek recipe!!

35. WOW, I love this idea and that it’s so healthy and vegetarian! YUM!

37. I’m not sure how the farmers markets run here, but it looks like your area organizes very well! Too bad your closest one is on Friday. I used to enjoy walking around on weekend morning to shop etc…then with small kids, it was impossible and we kinda stopped going. Now we make videos on weekends that I haven’t had time to visit farmers market. It’s too bad. Your Greek style tortilla wraps – LOVE IT! It looks a lot healthier too!

That is too bad that your farmers’ market is in your neighborhood while you are at work. The market that I prefer to visit is a very large one and open two days during the week plus on Saturday so everyone has an opportunity to visit.

Your Greek tortilla wraps look delicious and full of healthy veggies!

Very interesting as to how your markets are run. Here, during growing season, they are either set up in a small park or parking lot. Your wrap looks like a ratatouille in a flour tortilla. Since I LOVE ratatouille, this wrap has caught my eye. It looks delicious!

this is the very best kind of fusion, two of my favorite types of cuisine! lovely dish!

45. Πολύ νοστιμη μου φαινεται και η ελληνικη εκδοχή!
    Καλό μεσημερι :)

Yum! This wrap looks delicious with the yogurt and feta cheese…and so healthy with all the veggies!
    Have a great week Katerina :D

49. That is what I call fusion cuisine…I also call it delicious.

51. Farmer’s markets are amazing. And I do believe this is the first Greek tortilla I have ever seen, looks great. Especially with the eggplants.

Love the inclusion of all these veggies! They sound like great wraps!

56. Katerina, I love these wraps! They are so colourful and packed full of flavours.

Κι εγώ την περασμένη εβδομάδα που είχα άδεια πήγα στη λαϊκή.
    Ολα τα χρονια που δουλεύω δεν πηγαίνω..

Πολύ ωραία ιδέα τα ψημένα λαχανικά στη τορτίγια. Ωραία και η σως…
    Ελαφρύ και νόστιμο γεύμα. τέλεια.

60. Your tortilla wraps look full of delicious flavours, a mediterranean twist on the usual boring fillings!

I have a similar problem with my neighborhood farmer’s market. It’s Tuesday afternoons, while I’m at work!

64. One of my favorite things to do is visit our Farmer’s market. I’m lucky since I can choose three different times and places to get fresh veggies! The feta yogurt sauce looks really tasty! Such a healthy meal!

Έχω τορτίγιες μένει να βρω ηρεμία να τις φτιάξω.

There’s nothing like a farmers’ market for the quality of fresh fruit and vegetables. Yours are probably great all year round, but here in Toronto they’re usually open April through October. Your wraps look great!

70. Love a Greek Taco, those are beautiful, the gorgeous summer vegetables and I love that yogurt feta sauce!

72. What a beautiful plate of absolute deliciousness my sweet friend! I wish I lived closer and I would bring over a bottle of wine for us to enjoy! ♥

74. A great way to use the delicious veggies of Summer.

I have also noticed that vegetables sold in markets are of a poorer quality than these sold in Greek small shops or markets.
    Very fresh way of serving veggies in summer!