Lentil Purée with Squid

Lentils and Squid.JPG

Carnival is officially over. From today on, a lent period of 40 days starts, that will end Saturday before Easter Sunday. This Monday is called Clean Monday because of the fact that Christians clean themselves physically and spiritually. The lent period of 40 days symbolizes the 40 days Christ spent in dessert fastening and praying. Clean Monday is a public holiday here in Greece and Cyprus and apart from specific food we consume this day, there is also the custom of flying kites. Children of all ages buy kites and fly them, weather permitting.

During this day, the family table consists of seafood (i.e. squid, octopus, shrimps, shells, mussels etc.), tahini halvà, olives, taramosalata, azyme bread called Lagana, legumes, dolma without meat and other dishes that do not contain meat.

Taramosalata is a dip made from tarama, which is the salted and cured roe of the cod or the carp. This roe is mixed with either breadcrumbs, or mashed potato, lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil. It is consumed as a dip with lagana and other vegetables.

Lagana is an azyme bread, which means that it does not contain sourdough and it is consumed during this day replacing the normal bread.

Lentils and Squid.JPG

Lentils and Squid.JPG

I prepared several dishes for the occasion, but since it was going to be a long post, I will share them with you post by post. Today, I will start with the first dish which is a combination of legume and seafood. I saw this dish in a very old magazine of my mother’s called “Εγώ” and I loved the idea of combining two ostensibly different flavors in one dish. I didn’t follow the magazine’s way of making them, but I decided to use my own recipes and I can tell you it was a success. I do not like lentils that much, I prefer beans. I find lentils somewhat blunt and uninteresting. Well, with the squid they take a whole new meaning. I was curious if the experiment would work, but it worked perfectly. The sautéed squid balanced beautifully with the plane flavor of lentil purée.

In the past I have combined seafood with starch successfully with Santorini Fava with Shrimps you can check it out. I am adding this dish to the “do it again” ones. In my next posts you will see yet another one recipe for Lagana bread and other delectable Clean Monday dishes. Also, you can check my Tahini Halvà  and a Lagana I made in the past!

Lentils and Squid.JPG

2 tsp salt

3 tbsp olive oil

1/3 cup olive oil

Lentils and Squid.JPG

For the Squid

1 kilo / 2 pounds squid cleaned and cut in slices

Flour to sprinkle the squid

Olive oil to sauté

Salt and pepper

1/3 cup of dry white wine or any other wine you have available

1 garlic clove, minced

Lentils and Squid.JPG

Put a pot in medium/high heat and pour the 3 tbsp of olive oil.

Add the onion garlic and lentils after you have washed them well.

When it starts to boil, close the lid and let it cook in low heat for 1 ½ hour.

Remove the bay leaves and put everything in a blender and make them puree.

Throw the puree back to the pot and keep warm.

Lentils and Squid.JPG Lentils and Squid.JPG

For the Squid

Clean the squid thoroughly and flour it.

Salt and pepper it.

Remove from fire.

Serve the lentils purée and above them the squid with the sauce.

Lentils and Squid.JPG

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • ⅓ cup olive oil
For the Squid
  • 1 kilo / 2 pounds squid cleaned and cut in slices
  • Flour to sprinkle the squid
  • Olive oil to sauté
  • Salt and pepper
  • ⅓ cup of dry white wine or any other wine you have available
  • 1 garlic clove, minced

1. Put a pot in medium/high heat and pour the 3 tbsp of olive oil.
  2. Add the onion garlic and lentils after you have washed them well.
  3. Sauté for one minute and then add everything but the salt and the ⅓ cup of olive oil.
  4. When it starts to boil, close the lid and let it cook in low heat for 1 ½ hour.
  5. Open the lid, increase the temperature to medium/high and add the salt and olive oil and boil for three more minutes.
  6. Remove the bay leaves and put everything in a blender and make them puree.
  7. Throw the puree back to the pot and keep warm.
For the Squid
  1. Clean the squid thoroughly and flour it.
  2. In a skillet pour 3 tbsp of olive oil in medium/high heat add the garlic and squid and sauté for couple of minutes.
  3. Salt and pepper it.
  4. Pour the wine and sauté for another couple of minutes, until it becomes somewhat thick.
  5. Remove from fire.
  6. Serve the lentils purée and above them the squid with the sauce.

Φακές Πουρέ με Καλαμάρι

• 1 κρεμμύδι, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 2 κ.γ. αλάτι
  • 3 κ.σ. ελαιόλαδο
  • ⅓ φλ. ελαιόλαδο
Για το Καλαμάρι
  • 1 κιλό καλαμάρια, καθαρισμένα και κομμένα σε φέτες
  • Αλεύρι για να αλευρώσουμε το καλαμάρι
  • Ελαιόλαδο για το σωτάρισμα
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι
  • ⅓ φλ. ξηρό λευκό κρασί ή ότι κρασί έχετε ανοιχτό
  • 1 σκελίδα σκόρδο, λιωμένη

1. Βάλτε μια κατσαρόλα σε μέτρια/υψηλή θερμοκρασία και ρίξτε 3 κουταλιές της σούπας ελαιόλαδο.
  2. Προσθέστε το κρεμμύδι, το σκόρδο και τις φακές, αφού τις πλύνετε.
  3. Σοτάρετε για ένα λεπτό και στη συνέχεια να προσθέσετε τα πάντα, εκτός από το αλάτι και το ⅓ φλιτζάνι ελαιόλαδο.
  4. Όταν αρχίσει να βράζει, κλείστε το καπάκι και αφήστε να βράσει σε χαμηλή φωτιά για 1 ½ ώρα.
  5. Ανοίξτε το καπάκι, αύξηστε τη θερμοκρασία σε μέτρια/υψηλή και προσθέστε το αλάτι και το ελαιόλαδο και βράστε για τρία λεπτά.
  6. Αφαιρέστε τα φύλλα δάφνης και βάλτε τα πάντα σε ένα μπλέντερ να γίνουν πουρές.
  7. Ρίξτε τον πουρέ πίσω στην κατσαρόλα και διατηρήστε τον ζεστό.
Για το Καλαμάρι
  1. Καθαρίστε το καλαμάρι καλά και αλευρώστε το.
  2. Σε μια κατσαρόλα ρίξτε 3 κουταλιές της σούπας ελαιόλαδο σε μέτρια/υψηλή θερμοκρασία, προσθέστε το σκόρδο και το καλαμάρι και σωτάρετε για μερικά λεπτά.
  3. Αλατίστε και βάλτε πιπέρι.
  4. Ρίξτε το κρασί και σοτάρετε για άλλα δύο λεπτά, μέχρι να πήξει κάπως.
  5. Βγάλτε από τη φωτιά.
  6. Σερβίρετε βάζοντας τον πουρέ με τις φακές και από πάνω τα καλαμαράκια με τη σάλτσα τους.

44 Responses to Lentil Purée with Squid

1. Looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe, on my to do list :)

3. Nicky says:

I like lentils and squid but have never had them like this. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us at the Let’s Get Real Friday Link Party. I hope you’ll join us again this week.

5. Thanks so much for sharing with the Let’s Get Real Party. We hope you’ll link up with us again this week.

Hi Katrina,
    Your Lentil Puree with Squid looks wonderful. I love your detail about the reason for your dish. We are celebrating Lent as well this month, we are asked to give up something that is important to us. Thanks for a great post! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great week.
    Come Back Soon!

9. Lisa says:

I had never heard of Clean Monday before. Thank you for sharing about it. I always love hearing about special Lenten meals, especially meatless ones, as we abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent. Thank you for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I look forward to seeing what you will share this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/03/try-new-recipe-tuesday-march-11.html

11. nipponnin says:

This is so unique! Lentil with squid? I like both!

This is my kind of meal…I love lentils. I make a Lebanese dish with lentils and rice that my grandmother used to make…always a Lenten favorite! Have a great week, Katerina!

15. I have never had lentils with squids. But this surely sounds delicious, as I love squids with anything! Thanks for sharing this unique recipe.

17. Such an interesting combo of lentils and squid. I’m curious now :)

i’ve only ever had fried squid, so i’m sure this would be a very unique eating experience for me!

21. Diane Balch says:

This is my kind of meal. We love both lentils and squid. Italians eat a lot of lentils. I didn’t know that the Greeks eat them too… but is probably so for all Mediterraneans. Thanks for bringing this to foodie friday. Pinnning.

23. G’day! Unusual combination Katherina! YUM!
    View as party of this week’s Foodie Friends Friends St Patrick’s Day GREEN Recipes Party!
    Cheers! Joanne

25. Great dish! Lentils are my favorite and I would love to try yours with squid (calamari ).

27. Interesting combo and looks so good!

29. I like the spices you have used in this very wholesome recipe. It looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

31. TaMara says:

I’ve never had squid. This sounds very interesting.

33. It’s very interesting to see pureed lentil and it sounds delicious with squid! I looooove squid! Here in the US you can only see deep fried calamari but there are more delicious squid recipes like this one! So happy you shared this dish!

35. I love Greek food. My favorite restaurant serves squid in a garlic tomato cream sauce with toasted bread, and golden lentil soup. Thanks for another recipe.

Never would have occurred to me to puree lentils! Super idea. And squid…my favorite. In a salad especially, but it looks marvelous here. Great dish, Katerina.

I’ve never seen seafood served over lentils this way! Such a great meal for Lent!

I love your tradition of flying kites on Clean Monday. I also enjoy reading about your unique traditions.

43. Lentil puree is a new spread idea for me, it looks lovely with squid, a great flavour combo :D

45. Hi Katerina! I lost you there for a while! Glad to see you were just upgrading to a fantastic site! Love this recipe and all the others I missed and will check over; happy Lent and future Easter to you and your family.

Two of my favorite things- lentil and squid. What’s there not to love. Yummy!

Never in a million years would I think to combine lentils and squid. You see Katerina, that’s why I just adore Greek food and the celebrations that it preserves. Your dish looks lovely and I’m sure it tastes just as delicious:)

I’m so glad you included the tradition and festivities that welcome the Lenten season in Greece, Katerina. Thank you so much for sharing…

Lentils are such a wonderful ‘base’ for so many delicious meals. I love how you’ve paired them with the squid!

53. Hi Katerina! Interesting combination of lentils & squid, looks great!

55. Αγαπημενες οι φακές και τα καλαμαράκια,
    ενα τοσο μα τοσο θρεπτικό φαγητό!

57. mia maria says:

Πολύ ωραία ιδέα είχες Κατερίνα μου! Και του χρόνου, καλή Σαρακοστή!

Τι μου θύμησες με τις φακές…Οταν ήταν πολύ πιο μικρά τα παιδιά μου τις έκανα έτσι για να τις φάνε.. Μου άρεσαν κι έμενα σαν πουρές.
    Πολυ ωραία συνδυάζονται με τα καλαμαράκια.

Such an interesting combination Katerina, lentil and squid…sounds delicious…something that I would like to try.
    Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a great week my dear :D

Squid and lentils is a combination I have never thought about. I love both, so I’m sure I would like this dish a lot too. Thank you for sharing with us Greek customs once more. The mere mention of taramosalata makes me hungry… I must test the potato version ( I have only used bread until now).

65. What a great recipe to start off the season of lent. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

67. The squid and lentils look delicious!

69. This is indeed a really unexpected combination but it looks great. I have had a dish in a restaurant that mixed lentils with lobster. It was great but not Lent worthy lol. Would love to try a bowl of your dish.

I recently heard a story on NPR about fried calamari and it’s possible substitute here in the states. Sorry, but that reminded me. I love your posts about carnival and now Lent. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

great lentil recipe :-)

75. Never thought about putting lentils and squid together…learning something new every day! The dish looks fantastic! :) ela

77. I used to eat squid more often when I lived in Japan, however since I have been in Hong Kong, not so much. I love it simply prepared as you have done and quickly cooked so that it stays tender.

79. Deepti says:

Wonderful presentation! It’s always so nice to hear about various culture, religion and customs they follow.. I always love to read your stories besides your lovely food preparation…

81. Soy fan de las lentejas y este purè te ha quedado de lujo,abrazos y saludos.

We’re having lentils for dinner tonight! But with chicken instead of squid.

85. I love lentils, but never thought of combining them with squid! What a beautiful and delicious creation.

Our Lent period starts this Wendesday and ends up on Easter Sunday. No special food is prepared for the lent (maybe except the fact that people used to eat a lot of herrigs).