Feta Cheese Soufflé

Feta Souffle.JPG

As I promised you in my previous post, I am sharing with you some of the festivities that take place during this period in Greece and I will begin from the biggest carnival parade held by the municipality of Patra.

Patra is the third biggest city in Greece after Athens and Thessaloniki and holds the most famous and large carnival. Its story goes back 180 years. During the carnival period, there are several thematic activities such as masquerades, lost treasure hunting, carnival for children and many others. The last weekend of the carnival period and particularly on Sunday a big parade takes place with thematic chariots, taking their themes from everyday life, politics, international news and funny events. About 40.000 volunteers get dressed in costumes which are been sewed during the year. The carnival preparation for every year’s festivities in this city starts almost immediately after the end of the previous one. After the end of the parade, all participants along with the visitors burn the carnival king at Saint Nicolas’ harbor.

Feta Souffle.JPG

If you see the pictures this whole event may remind you of the Rio de Janeiro’s parade and indeed is almost similar only smaller.

Xanthi, which is another Greek city, holds another one carnival parade with traditional aspects taken from the life of people, as they used to live in the old days.

In Theva they imitate the “vlachiko gamo” or vlachiko marriage. In a previous post I have told you in details about the customs that prevailed during the old days, when two people were about to get married. In this case people mock the whole ceremony and make fun.

Feta Souffle.JPG

Since this is the final week of our carnival, the tirinì as we call it or cheese week, I have decided to make something cheesy. So, I thought of taking my chances and make a soufflé. I took the classic soufflé recipe and infused some Greek flavors in it. Now, I know many of you are intimidated by the thought of making a soufflé. I was too, but since I managed to tame the dough, I said to myself that soufflé had to be the next step. Well, I can tell you this, if you think making a soufflé is a challenge, then think again. Trying to photograph it, is a real challenge! As you will see in my pictures, I first made a sample in one ramekin, to see how much time had I had, before it deflated. Then I arranged my photo props, had my camera ready and balanced and started making the soufflé. As soon as I took them out of the oven, I immediately placed them in the scenery and started shooting as fast as I could. I can tell you, it was the most anxious shooting I have ever done.

Feta Souffle.JPG

Anyway, this is a tried and true recipe and the good thing is that you can double it, triple it or downsize it to one serving very easily. I took the basic soufflé recipe from Judith Jones’ book “The Pleasure of Cooking for One” and by doing several changes, I managed to create a soufflé with genuine Greek flavors.

At the end of the post, I gathered for you some photos of the Patra’s carnival to see the big parade there!

Feta Souffle.JPG

Feta Cheese Soufflé

4 teaspoons margarine + 1 tbsp of margarine for buttering the ramekins

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2/3 cup hot milk

Salt, be careful with slat as feta is a salty cheese anyway, I added ¼ tsp

¼ tsp of paprika

2 large egg yolks

2 large egg whites

2/3 cup feta cheese, grated

2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped

2 ramekins

Feta Souffle.JPG

Brush the inside of two  14 cm X 8 cm / 5 by 3 in. rectangular ramekins or two rounded ones 10 cm X 7 cm / 4 by 2 3/4 in. with 1 tbsp of margarine and coat all the inside with the Parmesan cheese.

Set aside.

Melt the 4 tsp of margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat.

Add the flour and whisk.

Let it cook for 1 minute and remove from heat.

Feta Souffle.JPG

Add the milk and whisk vigorously to combine.

Return to stove and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.

Season with salt and paprika.

Remove from heat and pour the egg yolks.

Place egg whites in a medium bowl and whisk until they form soft peaks.

Add the cheese and dill and stir to combine.

Feta Souffle.JPG

Fold in gently the egg whites and divide the batter into the prepared ramekins.

Bake until top is browned and soufflé has risen, between 15 to 18 minutes.

Serve immediately.

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Fusion

• 4 teaspoons margarine + 1 tbsp of margarine for buttering the ramekins
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • ⅔ cup hot milk
  • Salt, be careful with slat as feta is a salty cheese anyway, I added ¼ tsp
  • ¼ tsp of paprika
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 large egg whites
  • ⅔ cup feta cheese, grated
  • 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
  • 2 ramekins

1. Brush the inside of two 14 cm X 8 cm / 5 by 3 in. rectangular ramekins or two rounded ones 10 cm X 7 cm / 4 by 2¾ in. with 1 tbsp of margarine and coat all the inside with the Parmesan cheese.
  2. Set aside.
  3. Preheat oven to 220° C / 425° F degrees with a rack set in the center of the oven.
  4. Melt the 4 tsp of margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat.
  5. Add the flour and whisk.
  6. Let it cook for 1 minute and remove from heat.
  7. Add the milk and whisk vigorously to combine.
  8. Return to stove and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
  9. Season with salt and paprika.
  10. Remove from heat and pour the egg yolks.
  11. Place egg whites in a medium bowl and whisk until they form soft peaks.
  12. Add the cheese and dill and stir to combine.
  13. Fold in gently the egg whites and divide the batter into the prepared ramekins.
  14. Bake until top is browned and soufflé has risen, between 15 to 18 minutes.
  15. Serve immediately.

1. Recipe for the basic souffle freely adapted from Judith Jones’ “The Pleasure of Cooking for One”.
2. The bowl in which you will whisk the egg whites must be very clean. Julia Child added 1 tbsp of vinegar and ½ tsp of salt and wiped it with a paper kitchen towel.

Σουφλέ Φέτας

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Fusion

• 4 κ.γ. μαργαρίνη + 1 κ.σ. μαργαρίνη για τα φορμάκια
  • 2 κ.σ. τριμμένη παρμεζάνα
  • 2 κ.σ. αλεύρι για όλες τις χρήσεις
  • ⅔ φλ. καυτό γάλα
  • Μία πρέζα αλάτι
  • ¼ κ.γ. πάπρικα
  • 2 μεγάλοι κρόκοι αυγών
  • 2 μεγάλα ασπράδια αυγών
  • ⅔ φλ. τριμμένο στον τρίφτη τυρί φέτα
  • 2 κ.σ. άνηθο φρέσκο, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 2 φορμάκια

1. Αλείψτε το εσωτερικό από δύο 14 cm X 8 cm ορθογώνια φορμάκια ή δύο στρογγυλά με διαστάσεις 10 cm X 7 cm με 1 κ.σ. μαργαρίνης και καλύψτε το εσωτερικό με την τριμμένη παρμεζάνα.
  2. Βάλτε στην άκρη.
  3. Προθερμαίνετε το φούρνο στους 220° C και τοποθετείτε τη σχάρα στο κέντρο του φούρνου.
  4. Λιώστε τα 4 κουταλάκια μαργαρίνη σε μια μικρή κατσαρόλα σε μέτρια φωτιά.
  5. Προσθέστε το αλεύρι και ανακατέψτε με το σύρμα.
  6. Αφήστε το να μαγειρευτεί για 1 λεπτό και κατεβάστε από τη φωτιά.
  7. Προσθέστε το γάλα και ανακατέψτε με το σύρμα έντονα για να γίνει ομοιογενές.
  8. Ξαναβάλτε το στη φωτιά, ανακατεύοντας συνεχώς, μέχρι να πήξει.
  9. Βάλτε το αλάτι και την πάπρικα.
  10. Αποσύρετε από τη φωτιά και ρίξτε τους κρόκους των αυγών.
  11. Τοποθετήστε τα ασπράδια σε ένα μέτριο μπολ και χτυπήστε μέχρι να γίνουν μαρέγκα.
  12. Προσθέστε το τυρί και τον άνηθο και ανακατέψτε να ενσωματωθούν.
  13. Διπλώστε απαλά τα ασπράδια και μοιράστε το μίγμα στα φορμάκια.
  14. Ψήστε έως ότου πάρουν ένα σκούρο χρυσαφί χρώμα και φουσκώσουν, από 15 έως 18 λεπτά.
  15. Σερβίρετε αμέσως.

1. Η συνταγή είναι ελεύθερα προσαρμοσμένη από το βιβλίο της Judith Jones “The Pleasure of Cooking for One”
2. Το μπολ στο οποίο θα χτυπήσετε τη μαρέγκα πρέπει να είναι πολύ καθαρό χωρίς ίχνος λίπους ή κάτι άλλου. Η Julia Child λέει ότι αν ρίξουμε 1 κ.σ. ξύδι και ½ κ.γ. αλάτι και το τρίψουμε στο εσωτερικό του μπολ με ένα χαρτί κουζίνας το καθαρίζουμε πολύ καλά. Έτσι και έκανα!

59 Responses to Feta Cheese Soufflé

1. Rhoda says:

I like the valuable info you supply to your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and take a look at once more here frequently.

I’m reasonably sure I will be told plenty of new stuff right right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

3. Catherine says:

Dear Katerina, Your souffle looks so beautiful. I cannot wait to give it a try. The photos are beautiful. I will be pinning this one. Blessings my dear friend, Catherine xo

5. Katerina, these just looks simply amazing and I am in love with the recipe. Thank you so much for sharing at Best of the Weekend – I’m featuring this at tomorrow’s party and am so thrilled that you shared it with us. Hope you have a wonderful Friday!

7. I’d love to make savory souffle and feta cheese sounds fantastic! Oh I can almost taste it! Saving this recipe and will try it in the near future. I enjoyed looking at the parade photos, too. Thank you for sharing!

9. This looks delish. I love Greek flavors and can’t wait to make it! Pinned to my board :)

11. Nicky says:

This souffle looks beautiful and delicious. I didn’t know that Greece celebrated Carnival too. The photos of the parade looks like so much fun. Thanks for linking up with us at Let’s Get Real Friday Link Party. It’s good to have you and I hope you’ll join us again

Cheese souffles are so delicious and your feta souffle looks perfect!

15. Lisa says:

This looks beautiful and delicious! Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/03/try-new-recipe-tuesday-march-4.html

17. Thanks for linking up with the Let’s Get Real party. We hope you’ll join us again this week.

19. Marla says:

Great recipe – looks absolutely fabulous. Makes my mouth water. Shared on google and will pin. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Friday Blog Hop!

21. Diane Balch says:

Beautiful souffle I have never seen a recipe for a feta soufflé. Thanks so much for sharing it on foodie friday.

23. Pinning for later!

Thanks for linking up on my #oscarhop ! Be sure to chat w/ us today on Twitter w/ that hashtag! #oscars #redcarpet

25. Cynthia says:

Those carnivals sound like fun! And this dish looks delicious. Thank you for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next time.

27. omg, that looks wonderful and those carnival picture look like so much of fun, i have heard a lot about carnivals from my greek friend, its time to visit sometime soon!

29. Well risen and super yummy!

31. Crystelle says:

Oh me oh my! That looks so yummy! I bet the feta really adds!!!
    xx Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

Hi Katrina,
    Just look at the rise you got on your Souffle, it looks awesome. I just love the combination of flavor in your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend.
    Come Back Soon!

35. The souffle sounds great (hats off to you for photographing it so well), but I am in love with those moulds, they are so cute and pretty!

37. peps says:

Εντυπωσιακό!!
    Φούσκωσε, ξεροψήθηκε, πολύ όμορφο είναι!!!

39. G’day! Gorgeous and stunning photo yum!
    Thanks for sharing! Viewed as part of Foodie Friends Friday Nothing But Noodles Pasta Party!
    Cheers! Joanne

41. Oh my!! I could never get soufflé to that height and so airy :)

43. Wow, how awesome. I can’t wait to make this. Love Feta, Love Souffle. How did you get those pics? Great stuff. Great share. Saw you on Friday Favorite’s link party!

45. Deepti says:

What a wonderfully risen soufflé it is….I love the combination with feta cheese! a great festivity indeed, colorful and bright pictures…

Katerina, without you I would never think feta has such endless use possibilities! I like it a lot and am putting down this recipe to try soon. I had no idea there were such carnival festivities in Greece too. Thank you for sharing Greek traditions with us again.

Feta cheese is my favorite!! This souffle looks super.

though i’ve never made a souffle, i think that a cheesy version would be the only one worth my time. beautiful creation!

53. Preety damn delicious!!
    i’m a huge fans of feta cheese, lovin it’s savoury all the way

Your souffles look perfectly beautiful! And I love the addition of feta cheese…delectable!

This Feta cheese soufflé looks awesome Katerina, love that is all puffed up and yes, must taste so good…I am saving this recipe so I can try later…
    Hope you are having a lovely week my dear :D

59. gloria says:

Look delicious ! I love souflée! look beautiful!

61. Oh mine! What a treat! This soufflé must taste fantastic! :) ela

63. Kenneth Kapasi says:

This is on my dinner table tonight.Very well done.Thanks for sharing.

65. Kenneth Kapasi says:

This is on my dinner table tonight.Very well done.

67. It looks soooo delicious.
    Μου αρεσει που τα έκανες σε ατομικές μερίδες :)

As I was moving through the post and seeing those gorgeous pics, I was thinking “She must have really hurried to get these pictures”! I bet it was a very anxious shoot, but well worth the results. You sold me! I so want to make this souffle!!!

this looks so good and you won’t believe my friend Mariza was one of the dancers in the carnival have been looking at her Facebook pictures

What a beautiful souffle! I love the idea of flavoring it with dill and feta…so yummy! Perfect for any celebration.

75. What a colourful and bright parade! A great celebration of cheese with this lovely soufflé. They are gorgeous and I bet you had to work fast to get those shots before they deflated. I have made a soufflés on a few occasions and it is beautiful when you first bring it out to the table. Have a super day.

77. Exquisito y lindo soufflè me gusta es una delicia,abrazos.

79. nipponnin says:

Oh so fun festival! Put me in a happy mood.
    I may have feta cheese in refrigerator. I hope I do because I want to try this recipe…at least I have similar green polka-dots tea cup which I love.

81. What a colorful and beautiful festival, and your souffle is gorgeous and delicious.

83. Tasty looking souffle!

85. These souffles are absolutely gorgeous! I’ve never tried souffle before, but I would love to dig right into one of these. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

87. We have Carnival here too. :) Starts this weekend through Fat Tuesday. A lot of women fall pregnant during this time of wild partying and parades.

Your souffle rose beautifully.

89. What an amazing fluff, Katerina! The flavour combination sounds perfect, I love that you gave it a Greeek touch! I´m among the ones that fear making soufflé, though I have done it a few times. This certainly encourages me.

91. è spettacolare! Mi piace un sacco! Il carnevale è bellissimo! Bravissima Katerina!! :) Un abbraccione!

93. This looks wonderful, Katerina. The ingredients here all go well together. I’m anxious to try this.

It looks absolutely delicious, Katerina! I could surely devour more than one portions…Have a great week, XO

97. cheese week sound just as good as last’s meat week. The souffle look gorgeous and delicious, great photo session. I would be scared too. And the parade pics at the end are so fun.

Τέλειο φουσκωτό σουφλέ. Φαίνεται τέλειο.
    Κι ωραία συνταγή. Θα την βάλω στα υπόψη.
    Ωραιο και το tip της Julia Child.

Και τα σκεύη σου φανταστικά Κατερίνα μου.
    Υπέροχες φωτογραφίες.

Μόλις κάθισα από το πρωί. Το είχα δει αυτό λίγο στο fb και ήθελα να δω τις λεπτομέρειες.
    Με ενθουσίασε η απλότητα του και οι φωτογραφίες του.
    Καλό βράδυ

103. Είναι πραγματικά εντυπωσιακό το πόσο φουσκωτό και όμορφο έγινε το σουφλέ σου Κατερίνα! Τα σουφλέ είναι από τα πλέον δύσκολα πιάτα να φωτογραφηθούν, ωστόσο τα κατάφερες περίφημα.
    Μου αρέσει πολύ και το τιπ για το καθάρισμα του μπολ μέσα στο οποίο θα χτυπήσουμε τη μαρέγκα!

I love the parade photos – not to mention the story of taking your photos. Ha! I haven’t been brave enough to try photographing soufflés for my blog!

I grew up in the US, so I knew of “Mardi-gras” from an early age. As I got older, I came to understand that Rio’s Carnivale was a celebration of the same in South America. But I didn’t realize that the festivities were celebrated in Greece too. It’s always neat to find out about different cultures’ celebrations of the same event.

109. Beautiful and perfect souffle and it looks so much fun making it. I have yet to try my hands on making a souffle.

111. Looks delectable and the photos are very beautiful.

It sounds delicous! I don’t feel any carnival atmosphere this year:)

115. divya says:

looks super yum! love it

117. Corina says:

It looks lovely and you did well to capture it so beautifully before it deflated