Greek Style Pizza

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

I have a confession to make; I love, love pizza. I could eat this thing almost every day in several variations of shape and materials. I believe pizza is one of the most versatile meals in the international kitchen, in the sense that it has a bread base on which you can add anything your heart desires without any problem.

Modern type of Pizza comes from Italy and more specifically from Napoli. What you don’t know is that the word pizza comes from the Latin verb pinsere, which means to press and from the Greek word pektos, which means solid and is Greek in origin.

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

In ancient Greece, people made bread and covered it with herbs and cheese.  They also poured oils on top of these. Later in Byzantine period the word transformed to become pita which means pie. Although pizza is an Italian “naturalized citizen” in everyone’s mind, truth is that all Mediterranean people have in their local kitchens different types of ‘pizzas’ according to their customs and local products. This is because of the strong bonds created among the different civilizations around the Mediterranean Sea during the ancient years.

In modern Greece, in Kimolos a Greek island in Aegean Sea, they make a pizza style dish called Ladenia which is close to what we know today as pizza. It is made with a dough crust and topped with tomatoes, onions and olive oil.

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

I was craving for some pizza lately. Because of the diet program I follow, I do not have the chance to taste my beloved dish as much I want it. But this Sunday I decided to make one according to my liking and add on top of the crust all these ingredients I so much enjoy in a good Greek salad. I made the crust from the previous day and I stored it in the fridge. So, Sunday morning I started chopping and baking.

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

A couple of months ago, I visited an exhibition of Greek products in downtown Athens and I received some beautiful gifts from Mr. Baxevanis, owner of Selesia. It is a company that sells traditional Greek products such as olives, olive oil, honey etc. You can check their site at www.selesiagreen.gr. Among other things I got a vase with olives in olive oil aromatized with garlic. With this pizza, I found the perfect opportunity to use these deliciously flavored olives. It was a pure dream. I can tell you one thing, it was the first time in my blogging history, that I rushed to take the pictures so as to sit down and enjoy my slices, so please be linear with my photos. Usually, it is my husband and son who make me anxious to finish my shooting, but this time it was my angry self who was chasing me haha! I am not going to tell you how many pieces I ate, that ashamed I feel. Take a guess!

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

20 olives, pitted

2 tsp sugar

½ tsp oregano

Olive oil

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

For the Crust

I made the crust the previous day as follows:

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

For the Topping

Preheat oven to 200° C / 400° F.

Remove and drain them in the strainer.

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

Take a pan rectangular or cyclical and cover it with parchment paper.

I like my crust thin so I tried to extend the dough as much as I could.

If you like your dough thick, then make it smaller.

Scatter the chopped, drained tomatoes and the onions.

Add the feta cheese, the ½  tsp of dried oregano and throw the peppers and olives.

Remove from the oven let it cool for 5 minutes and serve.

Greek Style Pizza.JPG

• ½ tsp sugar
  • ½ to 1 onion, sliced thinly
  • 2 peppers, sliced
  • 20 olives, pitted
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • ½ tsp oregano
  • 270 gr. / 9.5 oz. feta cheese (you can increase to 300 gr / 10 oz.), cut in small cubes
  • Olive oil

For the Crust
  1. I made the crust the previous day as follows:
  2. Put all the ingredients for the crust in the mixer bowl and mix with the hook for 7 minutes.
  3. After this time a soft somewhat elastic and slightly sticky ball will be gathered around the hook.
  4. You can either place it in an oiled glass bowl in the fridge overnight or you can let it rise for several hours until it doubles its volume at room temperature. The choice is yours.
For the Topping
  1. Preheat oven to 200° C / 400° F.
  2. One to two hours before making the topping, take the dough out of the fridge to arrive at room temperature.
  3. In a small pot add the tomato pieces, the ½ tsp of dried oregano, thyme, basil and sugar.
  4. Drizzle some olive oil and let them boil at medium temperature for about five minutes.
  5. Remove and drain them in the strainer.
  6. Take a pan rectangular or cyclical and cover it with parchment paper.
  7. I made my pizza in a rectangular mode and it had dimensions about 50cm. / 20 in. X 30cm. / 11 in.
  8. I like my crust thin so I tried to extend the dough as much as I could.
  9. If you like your dough thick, then make it smaller.
  10. Scatter the chopped, drained tomatoes and the onions.
  11. Add the feta cheese, the ½ tsp of dried oregano and throw the peppers and olives.
  12. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden and the toppings have melted.
  13. Remove from the oven let it cool for 5 minutes and serve.

Recipe for the dough adapted from King Arthur’s Flour

Ελληνική Πίτσα

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Κυρίως Πιάτο

Για τη Βάση
  • 241 γρ. προζύμι κατευθείαν από το ψυγείο
  • 113 γρ. ζεστό νερό της βρύσης
  • 298 γρ. αλεύρι για όλες τις χρήσεις
  • 1 κ.γ. αλάτι
  • ½ κ.γ. μαγιά
  • ½ κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • ½ κ.γ. ξηρό βασιλικό
  • ½ κ.γ. κρεμμύδι σε σκόνη
  • ½ κ.γ. σκόνη σκόρδου
Για πάνω από τη Βάση
  • 4 ντομάτες, ψιλοκομμένες χωρίς τους σπόρους
  • ½ κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • ½ κ.γ. ξερό βασιλικό
  • ½ κ.γ. ξερό θυμάρι
  • ½ κ.γ. ζάχαρη
  • ½ έως 1 κρεμμύδι, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 2 πιπεριές, κομμένες σε φέτες
  • 20 ελιές, χωρίς κουκούτσι
  • 2 κ.γ. ζάχαρη
  • ½ κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • 270 γρ. τυρί φέτα, κομμένη σε κυβάκια (εγώ χρησιμοποίησα την πολύ μαλακή σαν βούτυρο η οποία έλιωσε πολύ όμορφα και απλώθηκε σε όλη την πίτσα)
  • Ελαιόλαδο

Για τη Βάση
  1. Έκανα τη βάση από την προηγούμενη ημέρα ως εξής:
  2. Βάλτε όλα τα υλικά για τη βάση στο μπωλ του μίξερ και ανακατέψτε με το γάντζο για 7 λεπτά.
  3. Μετά από αυτό το χρόνο μια μαλακή μπάλα κάπως ελαστική και ελαφρώς κολλώδης θα συγκεντρωθεί γύρω από το γάτζο.
  4. Μπορείτε να την τοποθετήσετε είτε σε ένα λαδωμένο γυάλινο μπολ στο για την επομένη, ή μπορείτε να την αφήσετε να φουσκώσει για αρκετές ώρες μέχρι να διπλασιαστεί όγκο σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου. Η επιλογή είναι δική σας.
Για πάνω από τη Βάση
  1. Προθερμένετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
  2. Μία ώρα με δύο ώρες πριν από το ψήσιμο, βγάλτε τη ζύμη από το ψυγείο, να φτάσει σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου.
  3. Σε μια μικρή κατσαρόλα, ρίξτε τα κομμάτια της ντομάτας, το ½ κουταλάκι της ρίγανης, το θυμάρι, το βασιλικό και τη ζάχαρη.
  4. Ρίξτε λίγο ελαιόλαδο και αφήστε να βράσουν σε μέτρια θερμοκρασία, για περίπου πέντε λεπτά.
  5. Βγάλτε από τη φωτιά και στραγγίστε σε σουρωτήρι.
  6. Πάρτε ένα ταψί ορθογώνιο ή κυκλικό και καλύψτε το με χαρτί ψησίματος.
  7. Έκανα την πίτσα μου ορθογώνια και είχε διαστάσεις περίπου 50 cm.X 30 cm.
  8. Μου αρέσει η ζύμη να είναι λεπτή και έτσι άνοιξα τη ζύμη, όσο περισσότερο μπορούσα.
  9. Αν σας αρέσει η παχιά ζύμη, κάντε τη πιο μικρή σε διαστάσεις.
  10. Ρίξτε από πάνω τις ντομάτες και τα κρεμμύδια.
  11. Προσθέστε τη φέτα, το ½ κουταλάκι ρίγανη, τις πιπεριές και τις ελιές.
  12. Ρίξτε λίγο ελαιόλαδο και ψήστε σε προθερμασμένο φούρνο για περίπου 20 λεπτά ή έως ότου η ζύμη πάρει ένα σκούρο χρυσό χρώμα και τα υλικά από πάνω έχουν ενσωματωθεί.
  13. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο αφήστε τη να κρυώσει για 5 λεπτά και σερβίρετε.

Η συνταγή για τη ζύμη είναι προσαρμογή από το King Arthur’s Flour

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

55 Responses to Greek Style Pizza

1. Platter Talk says:

This pizza is a work of art, if ever I’ve seen one! Thanks so much for dropping it off for our pizza party, I would love to sink my teeth into this one!!

3. Aunt Bee says:

I could eat pizza morning, noon and night! And this is AWESOME PIZZA!

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your new Red Plate and have a great weekend.

I’m with you – I love pizza!!!! It’s a whole meal and there are so many pizzas to make that I haven’t made before. Like this one! I’m putting this on my list of pizzas to make very soon!!!!

9. I love homemade pizza and this looks great! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat, hope to see you back on Thursday.

11. Very interesting to add feta cheese on top, and I’d love to give this a try! We have two little pizza lovers AND I love pizzas too. It’s almost lunch time and your pizza definitely made me hungry. :)

13. Never thought of using Feta cheese on pizza – guess that and the olives definitely gives it an authentic Greek Flavor. Awesome! :) And, instead of pizza sauce…chopped tomatoes.

15. Lisa says:

I have never tried Greek style pizza. It looks really good. Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/01/try-new-recipe-tuesday-january-21.html

Hi Katrina,
    I don’t know how many pieces of this awesome pizza you ate, but I know for sure I would have had more than 2 pieces. This pizza looks like a piece of heaven! Thanks so much for helping us celebrate Three Years at Full Plate Thursday. Have a good week and come back soon!

19. I love pizza too and with these Greek flavours; kalmata olives, pepperocini peppers and spices it makes for one tasty pizza and with a lovely Greek salad on the side, this is a weekend meal that will make everyone happy.

21. nipponnin says:

Looks wonderful! Must try recipe.

23. Linda says:

I’m thinking pizza tonight for dinner and here you’ve give me just the right idea.

25. Your Greek pizza looks fresh and very tasty!

27. I agree with you Katrina, I think no matter where you live that everyone loves pizza. Your Greek pizza sounds and looks great. I like that you put herbs in your crust for extra flavor.

29. GREAT recipe! GREAT photos Katerina!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as part of the Foodie Friends Friday Recipes that tell a Story

31. TaMara says:

We love pizza at our house. We’ll have to try this Greek style. Thanks for sharing at Food on Friday!

33. Love the spices you added to the crust. simply appetizing!

35. Simply awesome, love the simple flavors you used to make this yummy Greek pizza :)

Like you, I could eat pizza once a week if my waistline would let me! I love it. Your Greek version sounds wonderful, Katerina!

39. Deepti says:

Greek pizza looks wonderful! My husband and I never miss a chance to have a greek pizza.. Would love to try it from scratch as you did.

41. I also love pizza. And I LOOOVEE feta. This looks like my kind of meal ;)

43. Joanne Viola says:

This pizza looks so good. Love the toppings especially the feta cheese, which I love. Definitely going to save this & come back to browse your site more later today. This looks to be a site I want to follow :) So glad that I stopped here from Time Travel Thurs. :)

Katerina, this is one more reason why I should visit Greece! I am a big pizza fan and even though I have tasted only Italian pizzas, I’m sure the Greek pizza is fantastic (at least it looks as such!)

47. Atika says:

Wow, feta cheese for pizza that sounds delicious. I love reading your story about pizza :)

49. Amazing looking pizza with great toppings. I hope you ate the whole thing ;-)

51. That might just be my perfect pizza :)

this looks delicious and great history and facts as always

I love all the toppings you put on your pizza! So full of health and flavor!

57. I agree, pizza is definitely on top of my list of favorites too. Yours look fantastic. I’m jealous you get those delicious local olives there! :) ela

59. Catherine says:

Dear Katerina, The pizza sounds wonderful. The dough looks perfect too.
    I would love this with the Greek salad. Healthy and delicious. Blessings, Catherine

I adore pizza, too…and topping one with Greek salad toppings sounds amazing!!!

63. I love greek salad and never heard any such a greek style topping for pizza….
    sounds really great for my licking, feta cheese won’t ever failed for my licking!!!

65. Se ven muy linda y deliciosa esta pizza una mezcla perfecta me encanta,abrazos.

67. That is a gorgeous pizza! Thank you for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

Katerina, your homemade pizza looks fabulous, yes…pizza is so versatile, you can top it with whatever you have handy…I love the Greek touch, delicious looking pizza.
    Hope you are having a great week my dear :D

71. I love pizza too, shamelessly actually. This ones looks incredible!

73. Viviana says:

Great pizza Katerina, reminds me of how my grandmother from Greece used to do it! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

75. This looks like my perfect pizza – not too heavy! But still packed full of delicious flavours. Yum!

What a beautiful, fresh pizza, Katerina! Love the flavors and your photo is perfection.

79. Adoro la pizza! Questa devo sicuramente provare! I complimenti per le foto! Sono sempre molto belli! Bravissima Katerina! Buona giornata! :)

81. Sounds like a great pizza. Full of lovely flavors

83. Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Monday…. pinned!

85. Just the way I like it! I love those black olives.

87. Καταπληκτική συνταγή!
    Υπέροχη πίτσα και λατρεμένη επίσης!!
    Τα υλικά που έχεις βάλει είναι διαλεχτά και αγαπημένα. Ελληνικότατα και γευστικά.
    Μράβο και για την φωτογράφιση! Πολύ καλή!!!!

89. Καταπληκτική συνταγή!
    Λατρεμένη πίτσα και επίσης υπέροχη φωτογράφιση!!
    Μπράβο για όοοοολα!!!!!!!!

Kαι η ζύμη πολύ ωραία κι αρωματική.
    Πως να περιμενεις και να μην ορμήσεις πάνω της..
    Καλά έκανες και έφαγες όσα κομμάτια έφαγες…χωρίς τύψεις.

Φιλιά :)

I love pizza too! We didn’t have a lot of options growing up, but one of the few pizza places in my town was owned by a Greek couple who made the best Greek pizza!

Ha! Your speed to eat is a real compliment to this dish. Looks delicious!

97. Totally agree, pizza is the best and is an International favorite.I love your pizza, one of my favorites is with ground spiced lamb and feta.

99. Corina says:

What a great pizza! I love the topping. IT’s so simple but those ingredients together are so tasty.

Your pizza looks very professional! I am also a big fan of pizza although I don’t eat it as often as I would like to
    thanks for the book-it’s beatiful! and seems also to be very usueful
    the first thing I am going to prepare is the bean soup

103. Margarita says:

I will not have any shame if I ate this entire pizza, it looks so good. Where did you get your sourdough starter from? Or did you make it yourself. I have been wanting to try making sourdough pizza dough but the closest I’ve gotten is to let my dough sit for 2-3 nights in the fridge. I love the complexity of flavors that it brings and can only imagine how much better it would be with a real starter.

105. What a gorgeous pizza!!! I love olives so must try this! Thanks so much for stopping by our MUNCHING MONDAYS Party!!! Warmest, Nic

Πότε την ξαναφτιάχνεις να έρθω!!!Υπέροχη.

109. Yum. All the flavors I love. This looks fantastic.