Cretan Dakos

Cretan Dakos.JPG

Greece is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and it owns no less than 2,500 islands, 165 of which are inhabited. Crete is the biggest of them all and it has the most amazing beaches you can imagine.

The island is rich in history and it was there that the earliest recorded civilization in Europe, the Minoan, was born and flourished between 2700 BC and 1420 BC.

Crete is an important part of Greece’s economic and cultural life and it is in the southern part of the Aegean Sea. The island is mountainous and a high mountain range crosses it from east to west. Its rocky surface has carved the character of the people living there.

Cretan Dakos.JPG

During World War II, the island played a major role in the resistance and it was there that the famous Battle of Crete took place in May 1941.

Crete has a local kitchen that diverges from all the other local kitchens in Greece. Cretan diet is considered to be one of the healthiest, most nutritious and comprehensive ones recommended by doctors and dietitians around the world.

The principal aspects of this diet include proportionally high consumption of olive oil, legumes, unrefined cereals, fruits, and vegetables, moderate to high consumption of fish, moderate consumption of dairy products (mostly as cheese and yogurt), moderate wine consumption, and low consumption of meat and meat products according to Wikipedia.

Cretan Dakos.JPG

I believe the epitome of Cretan diet is Cretan Dacos. It is an absolutely perfect dish in its simplicity and combines main and important elements for a healthy and nutritious meal. The original one is made with xinomizithra an unpasteurized Greek cheese, a sour variant of mizithra. It is made from ewes’ and/or goats’ whey with the addition of milk. The cheese is soft, white, creamy and granular. In most cases, feta cheese is a substitute of xinomizithra and this is how the rest of Greece eats Cretan Dakos. Do try it and you will realize that simple as it may look and sound, it is absolutely delicious and addictive.

Cretan Dakos.JPG

Cretan Dakos

1 tomato60 gr. feta cheese, crumbled

Pinch of oreganoand salt

6 tbsp olive oil

Cretan Dakos.JPG

In a pot with boiling water, sink the tomato and let it boil for 1 minute.

Remove, peel it and dice it.

Put the kritharokouloura on a dish and add 3 tbsp of olive oil.

Add the diced tomato, the salt and above it add the crumbled feta cheese.

Cretan Dakos.JPG

Pour the remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil and season with the oregano.

It is ready to be consumed.

Cretan Dakos.JPG

Cretan Dakos

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer, Salad

• 1 kritharokouloura (is a barley rusk typical and traditional of Crete and you can find it in deli stores or on the internet, in case you cannot find it use any type of thick barley rusk)
  • 1 tomato
  • 60 gr. feta cheese, crumbled
  • Pinch of oregano and salt
  • 6 tbsp olive oil

1. You put the kritharokouloura under the tub and bath it for a few seconds (count to 10) to make it softer.
  2. In a pot with boiling water, sink the tomato and let it boil for 1 minute.
  3. Remove, peel it and dice it.
  4. Put the kritharokouloura on a dish and add 3 tbsp of olive oil.
  5. Add the diced tomato, the salt and above it add the crumbled feta cheese.
  6. Pour the remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil and season with the oregano.
  7. It is ready to be consumed.
  8. Trust me on this it looks simple but once you start eating you simply cannot stop.
  9. The proportions are only indicative you can add or subtract according to your liking.

Κρητικός Ντάκος

‘Ολοι γνωρίζουμε και αγαπάμε αυτό το πιάτο της Κρητικής κουζίνας! Το έχουμε κάνει και μεις δικό μας!
Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Σαλάτα, Ορεκτικό

• 1 κριθαροκουλούρα
  • 1 ντομάτα
  • 60 γρ. φέτα, θρυμματισμένη
  • 1 πρέζα ρίγανη και αλάτι
  • 6 κ.σ. ελαιόλαδο

1. Βάζετε την κριθαροκουλούρα κάτω από τη βρύση για λίγα δευτερόλεπτα ώστε να μαλακώσει.
  2. Σε μια κατσαρόλα με βραστό νερό, βυθίστε την ντομάτα και αφήστε να βράσει για 1 λεπτό.
  3. Αφαιρέστε τη φλούδα και κόψτε τη σε κύβους.
  4. Βάλτε την κριθαροκουλούρα σε ένα πιάτο και προσθέστε 3 κουταλιές της σούπας ελαιόλαδο.
  5. Προσθέστε τους κύβους ντομάτας, το αλάτι και πάνω από αυτά προσθέστε την τριμμένη φέτα.
  6. Ρίξτε τις υπόλοιπες 3 κουταλιές της σούπας ελαιόλαδο και τη ρίγανη.

This recipe is featured in:

Feeding Big and more

53 Responses to Cretan Dakos

1. Nicky says:

These look delicious. I love how they are so simple to make. Thanks so much for sharing them during Our Little Family Adventure’s Community Party on Facebook.

3. Yum, this looks delicious! I love simple and am always up for trying new kinds of foods. Pinned!

5. Megan says:

This looks so yummy and unique! Thanks so much for linking up at Homemade Ginger!

7. I have read about the health benefits of the Cretan diet. It is nice to get a recipe for one too. Thanks for sharing :-)

I had no idea that Greece had so many islands. I love coming here and learning about your country. It’s like getting a personal inside view. Thank you! And thank you for these Cretan Dokas! With all of the fresh tomatoes hitting the markets right now, this looks like a perfect way to enjoy them. Thanks!

11. I really wish I was a fan of feta b/c this looks great! Thanks for linking up to Sweet & Savory Saturdays #22

~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!

13. Cynthia L says:

Oh My! I am pretty speechless and pretty hungry now. This is a stunning photo of a great dish.

Thank you for posting this recipe at the In and Out of the Kitchen LInk Party. I am featuring this recipe at the Top 10 Favorites post that will go live on Monday morning. Thanks again!

Cynthia at Feeding Big

15. Krystle says:

Yum!! Pinned it! Thanks for sharing this with us at One Sharendipity Place this weekend!!

Krys @thet2women.com and http://www.worshipingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com

17. rosita says:

Me encantaria probar se ve muy tentador y deliciosos,abrazos.

19. Jennifer says:

Thanks for linking up with the Friday Flash Blog. I hope you checked out the highlighted posts as well as everyone’s terrific entries. Have a fabulous weekend!

Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

21. What a wonderful recipe and post! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing this at Best of the Weekend! Pinning to our party board. Have a wonderful week and please join us again next Friday!

23. Amy Tong says:

Yum. What a lovely recipe. It would make the perfect light lunch or dinner. I love feta with tomatoes together. :)

25. This sounds wonderful and a perfect dish for those hot evenings. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope you join us this coming week.

27. Diane Balch says:

It is so hot here in NY I could eat your lovely salad for dinner… if I could only motivate myself to go to the store. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us on foodie friday. The bread looks so delicious.

Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and hope to see you soon!

31. Lauren says:

What a gorgeous looking dish. Thank you for sharing at our Pinteresting Party!

33. Xara says:

Hi Katerina, how simple and yet so tasty!!!It would be so much nicer though to be able to enjoy it in Crete…(My wishful thinking..lol) XOXO

Mmmmm….what a wonderful started…but I could actually make a meal out of these lovely toasts! Perfect for summer :)

So rustic and delicious! Sometimes less is best :)

39. Love how rich the culture and food heritage is in Greece. It should be, since it’s the oldest civilizations :)

41. Mari Beika says:

Αυτό είναι το μεγαλείο της απλότητας!! Άντε να πάμε διακοπές στην Κρήτη να φάμε ντόπιο ντάκο!
    Φιλιά πολλά

C’est tout simplement délicieux.
    J’aime beaucoup.

what an informative post, katerina–thank you! i really like the sound of this, as i find tomatoes and feta to be a killer combination!

Katerina, I’m delighted to discover such a luscious looking, but completely unknown dish! Actually I think my half-Greek friend told me about it once… he was very enthusiastic but said it’s impossible to get the deliciousness of the special cheese and the local bread here… I will however try to prepare it anyway (I do have Greek oil brought by my friend and made by his family; I save it for special use only…).

49. Claire Davis says:

mmm feta!! this looks so savory. I also like your new blog colors!

Hmmm I don’t know if we have any kind of rusk here…but maybe it’s just called something else? Either way, sounds like a tasty meal!

53. It looks light and delicious – very summery recipe! My mom peel the tomato the same way. :) It’s packed with Greek flavors and looks delicious!

55. Ooh, great looking tomatoes!

So simple and packed with flavor…love it!
    Hope you are having a great week my dear :D

59. I studied abroad in Athens 7 years ago, and miss Greek food so much! This looks so simple but so delicious! I can’t wait to try it out, thanks for sharing!

61. LydiaF says:

I’ve pinned this to my Greek food board on Pinterest. I’m glad to have found a source for authentic recipes :)

63. Healthy appetizer, simple & easy to make with few ingredients! Thank you Katerina for sharing traditional Greek recipes!

Lunches like this are right up my alley, Katerina. The barley rusk is new to me, but I can think of several substitutes.
    I’ll never forget my visit to Crete…I had a temperature of 102! But I toured anyway!

I alwyas liked to get it as a starter in restaurants!
    Blog o życiu & podróżach
    Blog o gotowaniu

69. cquek says:

looks really good.

I want to visit Crete so badly!

73. This is lovely. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

This looks like a perfect lunch for me. I’m hungry just looking at it!

77. Shweta A says:

wow, totally loved its colour and texture:) Well done:)

79. I have been to Crete, beautiful island and great food. This dish is a perfect flavor of the place.

81. gloria says:

Look absolutely tempting and delicious!

83. One bite into this Creatan delicacy and you can feel it’s rich history come to life, so quick but none the less tempting, yum :-)

I love visiting your blog no just for all the delicious food you make but also you introduce me to so many new things. I would love to try this out.

87. Κατερίνα2 says:

Ωραίο μπλογκ, συνονόματη!

Στην Κρήτη ο ντάκος είναι το απόλυτο καλοκαιρινό φαστ φουντ – τουλάχιστον στην οικογένειά μου! Το καλοκαίρι το τρώω τόσο συχνά που τ’ αδέρφια μου με κοροϊδεύουν ότι το έχω αναγάγει σε επιστήμη :D Η αλήθεια είναι ότι μετά από τόσες εφαρμογές κατέληξα σε μια αλάνθαστη (για ‘μένα) μέθοδο:

1. Περίπου 5” βρέξιμο στο παξιμάδι και σούρωμα (και να σκεφτείς ότι χρησιμοποιούμε πάντα το ΜΑΝΝΑ του Τσατσαρωνάκη που είναι το πιο hardcore κριθαρένιο παξιμάδι – όσες φορές χρησιμοποιήσα κριθαροκουλούρα δεν την έβρεξα καν)
    2. Λάδωμα από τη μια μεριά σε όλη την επιφάνεια, αναμονή να απορροφηθεί και μετά λάδωμα κι από την ανάποδη (κόλπο του μπαμπά)! Αν είναι παχύ το παξιμάδι θα είναι πολύ άνοστο στο κέντρο αν δεν έχει λαδωθεί…
    3. Ξυσμένη ντομάτα στον τρίφτη. Με αυτόν τον τρόπο τα υγρά της ντομάτας ποτίζουν το παξιμάδι, γι’ αυτό και δε χρειάζεται πολύ μούλιασμα. Και όταν λέμε ντομάτα, εννοούμε μπόλικη, καλοκαίρι έχουμε!
    4.Ρίγανη μπόλικη και αλατοπίπερο, ξινομυζήθρα ή φέτα, ή ελιές αν είναι και νηστεία…

Και το χειμώνα που οι ντομάτες είναι χάλια, δοκίμασε να βάλεις λιαστές και λίγο μπαλσάμικο – δεν παίζεται!

89. Cretan Dacos are completely new to me. I like the simplicity of this recipe, and I am sure it tastes wonderful too.

91. Mari says:

It so simple to prepare yet it looks superb! I will try it with a nacional cheese.

Lovely post. Crete is one of the places I most want to visit. Thanks for taking me there!

95. Pepi says:

Η τέλεια καλοκαιρινή σαλάτα και τρώγεται και για κυρίως γεύμα!!!

97. Η αγαπημένη μου σαλάτα και ένα από τα πολύ αγαπημένα μου γεύματα!
    Το τρώω χειμώνα-καλοκαίρι και όταν έχω ξινομυζήθρα ακόμα καλύτερα!
    Φιλιά, καλή εβδομάδα!

99. CCU says:

I love this traditional Cretan recipe, delicious flavours :D

CCU

101. Vita says:

Να συμπληρώσω ότι το ιδανικό τυρί για τον ντά(γ)κο είναι η ξινομυζήθρα. Η φέτα είναι πολύ καλή εναλλακτική βέβαια για όσους δεν μπορούν να βρουν ξινομυζήθρα! Καλή σου μέρα Κατερίνα

• Katerina says:

Βαγγελιώ μου θα συμφωνήσω απόλυτα μαζί σου και γι’αυτό και στο αγγλικό κείμενο το αναφέρω ρητά. Επειδή όμως η ξινομυζήθρα δεν βρίσκεται εύκολα στο εξωτερικό δίνω την εναλλακτική της φέτας που είναι πιο εύκολα προσβάσιμο τυρί.

103. Iglika says:

Thanks for the sharing of traditional recipes! Great for the summer diner with glass of wine!