Leftovers Lasagna

Leftover Lasagna.jpg

I am sure most of you if not all, have heard about my country’s severe economic crisis and the harsh economic measurements the government has to put in force in order, at some point in the distant future, for the country to be able to go back on track.

There has never been a point in time at which my country has become more notorious than this one and a part of me feels ashamed. I feel ashamed not only because we arrived at this low point, but also because I feel I was deprived my dignity.

The truth is that, like many other countries, for years we lived with other people’s money and now it is the time for them to collect. But truth is also that you simply cannot strangle economically people to get your money. You must leave them some space to breathe and to live with a certain level of respect.

Leftover Lasagna.jpg

My family is lucky enough and up until now both I and my husband have our jobs. So, this means that every month two salaries get into our family budget. I cannot say this for thousands of other people, who saw their jobs vanish and now they try to live either with their saves or with the help of their relatives.

Trying to adapt to this new situation, I am striving to put everything in good use and not to throw food. So, last night when my son asked me what we would have for dinner, I told him that lasagna was on the menu. I had some leftover cooked meat, leftover buttermilk, leftover tomato juice, leftover Madeira wine and leftover lasagna sheets so the choice was obvious.

Now lasagna is quite a time consuming, labor intense meal and although I am dying to eat them, I don’t cook them very often. But this lasagna is different! Very easy and not as time consuming as the original, partly because they were made from leftovers and partly because I tried to cut back on their preparation time. This of course does not mean that they lacked in flavor. On the contrary, they were so delicious that even my picky son ate two portions!

Leftover Lasagna.jpg

So, I am giving you this recipe which is more an idea rather than a recipe itself, meaning that you can add an ingredient you have as leftover and take out any other you don’t have at home. I used ingredients that almost everyone has at home at any time, but even those you don’t have, you can substitute easily with others you have available.

Leftovers Lasagna

12  no boiling lasagna sheets

250 gr./8 0z. cooked meat, shredded, I used leftover chicken and veal

300 gr./10 oz.  tomato juice

¼ cup Madeira wine

1 tomato sliced

2 zucchini’s sliced

1 cup buttermilk

1 ½ cup evaporated milk

4 handfuls parmigiano Reggiano

A bunch of parsley

Couple of spoonfuls of Italian breadcrumbs

½ tsp of dried thyme, dried basil, dried oregano

Salt and pepper

1 tsp onion powder

½ tsp garlic powder

2 tsp sugar divided

1 bay leaf

Olive oil for sautéing the zucchinis

Leftover Lasagna.jpg

Set aside.

Couple of minutes before you turn off the fire pour the wine.

In a sauté pan add the olive oil and in medium-high heat sauté the zucchinis.

Set aside.

Preheat oven to 200° C/400° F.

Leftover Lasagna.jpg

Take a Pyrex or a regular pan with dimensions 30cmX20cm.

Butter it really well.

Put 4 lasagna sheets.

Throw the buttermilk.

On top of the lasagnas put the cooked meat.

Add the 2 handfuls of parmigiano.

Place another 4 lasagna sheets on top of the meat.

Leftover Lasagna.jpg

Put the sliced tomato and the cooked zucchinis on a layer.

Add the other tsp of sugar.

Pour ½ cup of the milk

Finally place the last layer of lasagna sheets and pour the rest of the milk.

Leftover Lasagna.jpg

On top sprinkle some parmigiano and the Italian breadcrumbs.

Let it rest for 15 minutes out of the oven and serve.

Leftover Lasagna.jpg

As I promised I am leaving you with some pictures of our trip to Palairos a beautiful village at the upper west side of Greece, facing the Ionian Sea.

Palairos 1.jpg

• 2 zucchini’s sliced
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 ½ cup evaporated milk
  • 4 handfuls parmigiano Reggiano
  • A bunch of parsley
  • Couple of spoonfuls of Italian breadcrumbs
  • ½ tsp of dried thyme, dried basil, dried oregano
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp sugar divided
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Olive oil for sautéing the zucchinis

1. In a small pot add the tomato juice, the herbs, the garlic and onion powder, the 1 tsp of sugar and the bay leaf in high heat.
  2. When it starts to bubble lower to medium-low and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Add the meat and cook for another 10 minutes.
  3. Set aside.
  4. Couple of minutes before you turn off the fire pour the wine.
  5. In a sauté pan add the olive oil and in medium-high heat sauté the zucchinis.
  6. Set aside.
  7. Preheat oven to 200° C/400° F.
  8. Take a Pyrex or a regular pan with dimensions 30cmX20cm.
  9. Butter it really well.
  10. Put 4 lasagna sheets.
  11. Throw the buttermilk.
  12. On top of the lasagnas put the cooked meat.
  13. Add the 2 handfuls of parmigiano.
  14. Place another 4 lasagna sheets on top of the meat.
  15. Put the sliced tomato and the cooked zucchinis on a layer.
  16. Add the other tsp of sugar.
  17. Pour ½ cup of the milk
  18. Finally place the last layer of lasagna sheets and pour the rest of the milk.
  19. On top sprinkle some parmigiano and the Italian breadcrumbs.
  20. Bake for about 15 minutes at this temperature and then lower the heat of the oven to 175°C /350°F and bake for another 30 minutes.
  21. Let it rest for 15 minutes out of the oven and serve.

44 Responses to Leftovers Lasagna

1. Kim Bee says:

Gorgeous food and views. A fabulous combo if you ask me.

3. Didi says:

Katerina, I too am ashamed at the way our government handled everything for so long…
    I’m embarrased that the entire world had to know our economic affairs and were waiting on tip toes to hear what would happen.
    Things are not much different here in the America.
    Tough times for all… prices are going up on gas, utilites and food by the hour, yet our paychecks remain the same. I am trying to can and process the summers bounties by frequenting farmers markets and stands. I’ve been canning and freezing. Even going to our favorite farmers with my aunts and mom to pick what they call weeds, or what we know as “vlita”.
    Your lasagna made my mouth water!!

5. Anyuta says:

I made Mexican Lasagna for dinner last night, but I had never heard of National Lasagna Day. I love a fun euscxe to make something special! Your Zucchini and Spinach version looks fantastic!

I was just reading that the average American throws away almost 300 pounds of food a year. This is shameful! What a wonderful way to use leftover food. There are many people here who have lost jobs also with our recession. Hopefully, we’ll all get back on track soon.

What beautiful photos!

9. Ambreen says:

Katerina, so sorry to hear about the crisis in your country. I sincerely hope that things get better soon!
    That’s a fantastic way to use leftovers, looks really delicious. And thanks for sharing the pictures of your beautiful village!

Thanks for sharing your feelings on the tight financial situation in your beautiful country. And am pleased to read both you and your husband have secure jobs. I fear that many countries (including us) are about to face the same problems. It’s a constant worry for all of us.

I think my mother was the queen of creativity with leftovers! We learned from her. Love how you’ve created this fabulous lasagna dish, Katerina.

13. this post is definitely inspiring me to not only make lasagna, but to take care in using up leftovers…thank you!

15. Se ve muy apetitosa y bella debe ser un éxito,me encanta abrazos hugs,hugs.

17. Tina says:

First off, this is a veggie lasagna recipe I have never tried and it looks delicious. I love your step by step instructions.
    Beautiful photos of your vacation, thanks for sharing those! I can dream about a lovely place like this.

Thanks for your nice comments at my site. I was thinking of you when I made a Pastitsio the other day. Not the traditional recip
    with the long noodles but that feta based bechamal sauce came out well. Will share with you soon.

Your lasagna looks wonderful. No matter how much (or little) I have, I always feel great using up leftovers.

I am so sad for your beautiful country, and I hope you can weather these tough times. Believe it or not, I’ve never been to Greece (other than a few days on Corfu) and I hope I make it there sometime. All the best to you and your sweet family.

I hope your beautiful country can get the economy back on track. I need to do a better job reusing my leftovers…what a lovely and delicious lasagna!

23. Julie says:

Beautiful photos! The lasagne looks delicious, love that it’s made with leftovers!

25. Great idea for the lasagna, it looks amazing. I love the two different colors of the pasta. Beautiful place to vacation!

27. Everyone knows what’s going on in Greece and some of the news stories break my heart. Congratulations that you’re doing well and I hope it continues.

I love making a “new over” from leftovers. I always feel like I’ve saved money while at the same time putting something special on the table for my family.

29. Great idea Katerina:) I love to reuse food or do a make over.

Katerina mon amie, la Grèce traverse un moment très dur. Ce qui arrive n’est pas de la faute du peuple grec qui est en train de payer les conséquences d’une politique gérée par les banques et le capital.
    Tes lasagnes sont magnifiques et tes photos sublimes.
    Réalisés de cette façon, je passerai le reste de ma vie à manger des plats cuisinés à partir de restes.
    A bientôt.

33. You did an absolutely job in creating this delish lasagna with leftover. It’s a sin to throw food away.

This lasagna is the perfect use of all those veggie leftovers! Way to not let anything go to waste.

37. Miriam says:

The lasagna looks completely clever and delicious! Pasta is always my prefered way to use up leftovers :)
    I am sorry to hear about what is going on in the world economically and to your beautiful country in particular. I wish your family the best of luck and prosperity to be had.
    Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

39. Reeni says:

I am so sorry Katerina! You did a wonderful job re-purposing your leftovers! This looks crazy delicious!

41. I am amazed you restrained yourself this long to say something about the situation you live in. I am sorry you are in the middle of this situation but you should not feel shame. Leftover recipes like this one can be the best and you used incredible creativity here.. The way you write reminds me a bit of some stories my mom tells as a child during the depression. Things eventually look up.

43. Your lasagna looks terrific. I use leftovers to create new dishes all the time. Thank you for sharing the photos of your trip to a beautiful place that I have never been to. Lovely.

45. Claire says:

Delicious leftovers! We can all use recipes like these, and that one looks really wonderful, with the veal and tomatoes. The photos are beautiful too, great memories to take into the cooler weather.

47. Jeannie says:

What lovely meal using left overs! I would have 2nds too!:D Really nice photos of your holiday, Katerina.

49. Xara says:

Hi Katerina, looks like you had a great vacation, loved your pictures!!! Your dish looks amazing, I couldn’t guess it started with leftovers..Although I’m ashamed to say that I end up throwing food at times, I think that we should all adjust our daily habits and be more reserved when it comes to grocery shopping and meal planning..Tough times will eventually hit countries that prosper today, so we need to be prepared..Καλό Φθινόπωρο, ΧΟ

I believe Greece and her people will triumph through this crisis, Katerina. I also believe many dishes we hold in high esteem during the plentiful days are remembrances of times when things aren’t or weren’t so good. Comfort food at it’s best. Making due is global during these times and you have brought it to new heights. Your Lasagna looks delicious and the fact that your son went back for two servings leads me to believe it may someday be his comfort food and ask for it again. (I know pretty difficult when using leftovers though:)

Thank you so much for sharing…May you and yours stay healthy and prosper:)

53. ΕΛΕΝΗ says:

Κατερίνα μου τα λαζάνια σου δείχνουν εξαιρετικά!Μπράβο, πολύ ωραία συνταγή!
    Οι φωτογραφίες απο τις διακοπές σας καταπληκτικές!
    Καλό φθινόπωρο!
    Φιλιά!

Katerina, in fact every time I open your blog I wonder how are you and your family… We hear about the difficult economic situation in your country almost every day and I also have a half-Greek friend who tells us a bit more about what happens in Greece (you cannot believe the media at 100%). I’m glad then that you and your husband have jobs and salaries. One can only hope Greece will cope with this dramatic situation and people will have their jobs back soon. I wish you all the best! You are certainly doing a great job for your country’s touristic development with all the delicious Greek dishes you present that make us want to take a plane and run directly to a Greek restaurant ;-)
    Your lasagna looks so fabulous it’s difficult to believe it’s just a leftover dish. On the other hand, leftover dishes can sometimes be so surprisingly good… My lasagna bolognese takes hours too, but I must try your quicker leftover version one day.

57. Faith says:

What a beautiful lasagna! I hate wasting food so I’m all for using leftovers in any way that makes them taste delicious…and this looks incredible! Your vacation photos are lovely!

59. divya says:

Lip smashing dish..looks great.

61. I love using leftovers to come up with new meals. This lasagna looks great!

Hi Katerina,
    Your lasagna looks awesome! I would love to have a big piece of it. I love to use leftover and create and new dish. Dislike throwing foor too.
    The pictures of your trip are gorgeous!

65. CCU says:

My best to you and yours through this crisis my friend – you are so creative and intelligent to work around by whipping up such a delicious dinner :)

67. kiki says:

Ωραία τα αξιοποίησες! Μου αρέσουν τα προβρασμένα λαζάνια γιατί είναι πρακτικά!

69. Your lasagna is colorful and beautiful, Katerina! I wouldn’t know if you used “leftover” or not… Shhhh!! :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures from Greece! For someone who’ve never been to that side of the word, this is a very nice pleasure. I hope you had a wonderful time!

71. kyleen says:

I never would have guessed that this was leftover lasagna! It looks so filling and yummy. And Palairos is gorgeous, thank you for sharing the pictures with us!

Katerina…don’t even mention about using other countries money…we just reached 16 trillion in debt…so the boat here is very rocky…and it will eventually flip. Like you guys, we are lucky to still have our jobs :)
    Now let’s talk about less depressing issues…the leftover lasagna looks fabulous…I would love to have all this leftover in my fridge so I could come up with this good looking lasagna.
    Hope you are having a dun week…the pictures of your vacation are awesome!

One of the most wonderful things about your country is that it will forever be associated with its contributions to modern society, and not these darker days.

77. Alessandra says:

Hi! So sorry to hear about your crisis in your country. Hope things get better for you. This looks delicious! I haven’t been blogging in so long I took a break from it for awhile. I was wondering if we could connect on Facebook. Here is my Facebook link. https://www.facebook.com/#!/Alessandra20099

79. Very delicious looking leftover lasagna!

81. Tante Kiki says:

Υπέροχα τα λαζάνια σου …τέλειο πιάτο!!!!
    Καλό μήνα και καλό φθινόπωρο Κατερίνα μου!

83. Margarita says:

i am sorry to hear about the state that your country is in… i grew up in a country where life was hard all the time and still is. i feel lucky to be in the US now and to have a job. like you, i have always been good at eating everything and wasting nothing. bad fruit turns to jam. leftovers are turned into fried rice and such. you get the picture… :) i love what you did with your leftovers here, i don’t think i am creative enough to make this happen but now that you’ve given me the idea, i’m on it.

Interesting to read how people feel about the crisis. I am only waiting when it would happen with us… we all leaved more or less the same way…
    I am also trying not to waste food…

Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

87. Sutapa says:

I am drooling …..lasagna is too yummy!
    Thanks for sharing the lovely pics of your trip….Palairos is truly a beautiful village!