Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms.jpg

I am back from my last week of vacations for this summer (photographs will follow) and I feel kinda sad. In two weeks from now, schools are starting and we will be back to our winter routine. Summer is over and with it those long, lazy, out in the open days. This makes me feel a bit melancholic and depressed. I like winter and all the celebrations it brings with it, but summer has a unique magic especially in this country. Summer is so full of life, full moons, swimming, sunsets, beach walks etc. that are very hard for me to let go.

Anyway, as we say, if you cannot change things just sit back and enjoy. For the end of August and summer, I am giving you the recipe for a very fine and tasty Greek meze.

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms.jpg

When Pola from World on a Plate told us that the theme for this month was stuffed vegetables, the first thing that came to my mind was stuffed tomatoes and peppers (Gemista in Greek). But then I thought that, this is something everyone knows and makes one way or another.

And then, when I went to the supermarket, I saw these beautiful zucchini blossoms and I immediately understood that they were there for some reason. Their mission was to become a beautiful appetizer full of Greek flavors and my submission to World on a Plate for this month!

Zucchini blossoms are very delicate and they have to be treated with care and love.

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms.jpg

These blossoms are stuffed with feta cheese. In Greece we stuff them with rice and ground meat too. Either we fry them as in this case or we bake them.

In any way we make them, they taste deliciously and it is the perfect appetizer during warm, summer days!

This recipe is so easy and delicious you cannot believe it!

world_on_a_plate3.jpg

World on a plate is a blogging cultural exchange. On the last Sunday of the month, bloggers from all over the world get together to interpret a food through the lens of their home country cooking. Each blogger will produce a wonderful dish featuring the food chosen that is typical of her/his home country and will tell us a bit about the dish.

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

21 zucchini blossoms

200 gr. / 7 oz. feta, crumbled

3 tbsp evaporated milk

2 tsp spearmint

Dash of onion and garlic powder

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms.jpg

For the batter

4 tbsp of flour

Water until it becomes a batter as thick as the one we make crepes

Dash of salt

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms.jpg

Wash carefully the blossoms and remove the stems.

Mix feta, milk and herbs.

Stuff the blossoms and close them carefully.

Put them in the fridge for half an hour.

Make the batter by mixing water, flour and salt.

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms.jpg

In a pot pour olive oil and put it in high heat.

Bath the blossoms to the water/flour batter and let them drain.

When oil is hot, fry them until they become somewhat crispy.

Remove and serve.

They can be eaten warm or cold as well!

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms.jpg

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

• 21 zucchini blossoms
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. feta, crumbled
  • 3 tbsp evaporated milk
  • 2 tsp spearmint
  • Dash of onion and garlic powder
For the batter
  • 4 tbsp of flour
  • Water until it becomes a batter as thick as the one we make crepes
  • Dash of salt

1. Wash carefully the blossoms and remove the stems.
  2. Mix feta, milk and herbs.
  3. Stuff the blossoms and close them carefully.
  4. Put them in the fridge for half an hour.
  5. Make the batter by mixing water, flour and salt.
  6. In a pot pour olive oil and put it in high heat.
  7. Bath the blossoms to the water/flour batter and let them drain.
  8. When oil is hot, fry them until they become somewhat crispy.
  9. Remove and serve.
  10. They can be eaten warm or cold as well!

Κολοκυθοανθοί Γεμιστοί

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό

• 21 κολοκυθοανθούς
  • 200 γρ. φέτα τριμμένη
  • 3 κ.σ. γάλα εβαπορέ
  • 2 κ.γ. δυόσμο
  • Μία πρέζα αλάτι και πιπέρι
Για το Χυλό
  • 4 κ.σ. αλεύρι
  • Νερό μέχρι να γίνει ένας παχύρευστος χυλός σαν αυτόν που φτιάχνουμε τις κρέπες
  • Μια πρέζα αλάτι

1. Πλύντε προσεκτικά τους κολοκυθοανθούς και βγάλτε τους στήμονες.
  2. Ανακατέψτε τη φέτα, το γάλα και τα αρωματικά.
  3. Γεμίστε τους κολοκυθοανθούς και κλείστε τους προσεκτικά.
  4. Βάλτε τους στο ψυγείο για μισή ώρα.
  5. Φτιάξτε το χυλό ανακατεύοντας όλα τα υλικά.
  6. Σε μία κατσαρόλα βάλτε ελαιόλαδο και ανοίξτε το μάτι στη μέγιστη θερμοκρασία.
  7. Βουτήξτε τους κολοκυθοανθούς στο χυλό, τινάξτε λίγο να στραγγίσουν.
  8. Ρίξτε τους στο καυτό λάδι και τηγανίστε για ένα δυο λεπτά μέχρι να γίνουν λίγο τραγανοί.

54 Responses to Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

1. Hyosun Ro says:

Nice you could find these beautiful blossoms at the supermarket. I’ve always wanted to make stuffed zucchini blossoms, but they are very hard to find around here. These look so good!

I’ve always wanted to try doing this so I very much appreciate the inspiration! Yours look beautiful and SO delicious!

5. Sandi says:

Delicious as always, Katerina!

7. Oh I have always wanted to try and make these squash blossoms, but the task always seemed kind of daunting. However your recipe seems so simple and straightforward! I’m so intrigued…especially by the addition of spearmint! These look so scrumptious! : )

9. Raina says:

I am so sad to see summer go too but I do love the fall. I hope your son has a happy new school year:) These look wonderful. I love the flavors you have used. They must be delicious.

11. Hola amiga cuando llegue el verano haré esta hermosa receta luce muy exquisita seguiré tus pasos,abrazos hugs,hugs.

13. I keep meaning to source these out since tasting them at a local place, they were awesome!! Yours look truly fantastic, i’m inspired!

15. I have never eaten squash blossoms, but would like to give them a try. These look delicious!

These look so delicious…I would never think of eating the zucchini blossom, but I have an Italian girlfriend who I give my blossoms to, in return she brings me a few fried blossoms! Beautiful, Katrina!

19. I really want to eat zucchini blossoms – I’ve heard about them, seem them, but haven’t tasted them! Looks so good. Glad to hear you had a nice vacation and look forward to your photos! ;)

I never can bring myself to pick the blossoms.

23. Delishhh says:

These are just gorgeous – very nice!

25. Swati Sapna says:

Katerina! DO you know, the state that I was brough up in – Orissa, in Eastern India, Pumpkin Flowers were a specialty :) They look exactly like Zucchini flowers and taste very similar too, with lovely sunshine yellow petals :)
    We used to dip them in a spiced corn flour paste and fry em up! Delicious during the winter months with some hot tea :)
    Your stuffed zucchini flowers remind me of that!

27. PolaM says:

Wow! I can almost imagine how good they must taste with the mint! Now I want to make some!

29. Ambreen says:

What an interesting & unique recipe! I have never seen zucchini blossoms before, but this look so tempting & delicious!

Your zucchini blossoms look absolutely wonderful.
    And yes, there is something special about summer, isn’t there? I love fall; otherwise, saying goodbye to summer would be very painful!

33. Rania says:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SPEECHLESS!!! this is divine! bravo katerina!!

35. Miriam says:

I’ve never eaten zucchini blossoms before, but why not? This is a delicious idea!!
    Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

I’ve only eaten these in Italy….and that was decades ago! But I remember how much I adored them…even though I have no recollection of the filling. I haven’t seen zucchini blossoms locally, but I will check our farmers’ market. Yours sound incredible!!!

I love stuffed courgette flowers, but have never tried making them. They always seemed very delicate and difficult to prepare, so I’m impressed by your beautiful results! Now that I think I’m sure I have never had them with feta inside. It sounds like a wonderful idea! And of course so Greek ;-)

Des beignets de fleurs de courgettes qui se font beaucoup dans le Sud de la France. C’est très bon. Je note ta version.
    Il est toujours très difficile de laisser l’été derrière soi pour entamer une nouvelle année. Je n’aime pas beaucoup l’hiver non plus.

43. I love the addition of spearmint in the stuffing. I always grow it but rarely use it and I love it. Perfect dish!

45. Jeannie says:

What a lovely dish, don’t think I would have a chance to taste zucchini blossoms as they are not available here. Am sure they taste delicious!

I love these stuffed zucchini blossoms, but never made it myself…yours look delicious with the feta cheese and a hint of mint…YUM!
    Thanks for the recipe Katerina and hope you are enjoying your week my dear :)

49. Julie says:

I’ve never made zucchini blossoms, these look delicious. Look forward to reading about vacation.

51. I think if we’d ever seen summer here in Seattle, Washington I would be depressed to see it go. I’m simply sad we didn’t have much of a summer. Oh well, I love the smell of fall, it’s such a wonderful season too. I’ve never attempted zucchini blossoms. You’ve inspired me to give them a try.

53. Reeni says:

This makes me sad ’cause I haven’t been able to find blossoms yet this year. They look crazy good Katerina!

55. They look delicious! I’ve never had the blossoms, I need to grow zucchini next summer, I’d love to try them stuffed.

57. Such a beautiful dish, I bought some blossoms once but just quickly grilled them. Winter is still months away, we have fall first ;-)

59. these look so beautiful and sound so delicious!

I LOVE fried zucchini blossoms and it looks like you’ve prepared them just about perfectly!

63. Elpiniki says:

I ve never made these – I cant find them here, but its really good and delicious! Yours looks amazing!

65. bergamot says:

I have never tasted zucchini flowers but the filling and the preparation make it look really appetising.

67. Katerina, what a beautiful creation this meal is! I love all the simple ingredients. Great food is simple and it tastes fantastic. Thank you for reminding us about it. :)
    We started school a week ago, and I am still adjusting to the early morning wake ups, and trying to fit my schedule into my son’s schedule. After this comment I am driving him to the gym for a workout, and will be running myself… Well, there are some benefits too. :)

69. MayMoh says:

I’ve never seen such beautiful zucchini flowers here. You made it look so delicious. Now I hope I can find these flowers here. Yes, summer is going to be over soon. Actually, it has not been like summer here. Most days are windy, gloomy, rainy and cold. I find baking very therapeutic during such miserable days :D

I’m sad that summer is coming to an end too, Katerina but, it isn’t over yet!!! What better way to “toast” the bounty of summer if not with glorious stuffed zucchini blossoms! I love that you put Feta in them. I learned something else visiting today, I had no idea zucchini blossoms could be baked!!!

Thank you so much for sharing. They truly look delicious…

Part of me feels bad that your summer is over, part of me is jealous you had a summer!

Κλως όρισες Κατερίνα.
    Το φαγητό αυτό είναι από τα πολύ αγαπημένα, βέβαια στην Αθήνα σπάνια βρίσκω ανθούς αλλά όταν είμαι στο χωριό γυρίζω τους κήπους της γειτονιάς και τους απολαμβάνω με πολλούς τρόπους.

77. Claire says:

I made fried zuchinni blossoms last year when we grew zuchinis in the garden. I didnt stuff them though and I can’t wait to try them this way! They do look beautiful and elegant.

79. Faith says:

Stuffed zucchini blossoms are such a lovely, elegant dish. They look really gorgeous, Katerina!

81. I don’t see zucchini flowers in our grocery stores. These stuffed zucchini blossoms look delish.

That looks like a delicious dish to me. I have never heard of this and would love to try it out.

85. depresja says:

That is really attention-grabbing, You are a very professional blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to searching for extra of your fantastic post. Additionally, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks

87. CCU says:

Stuffed zucchini has never looked more delicious :D
    What a delicacy!

I also feel kind of sad when I am thinking about end of summer… But in Greece you have still all September of good weather!

Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

91. Raymund says:

I wanted to make some of this for ages but I cant find some zucchini blossoms here :(

93. We are on the same page this month my friend! I also figured everyone would be making stuffed peppers, but no ;-) I love your Greek version of the stuffed zucchini blossoms – I will have to try them this way next time!

95. Eri says:

Katerina mou, I just love this recipe, it;s the way my mom cooks them. I would like them with a cold beer in the table!
    Have a nice week my friend!

97. Stuffed Zucchini looks yummy…Loved the stuffing of feta..

99. That looks like a delicious looking stuffing!

101. Margarita says:

katerina, i love this. i just love it. earlier this summer, i bought some zucch blossoms coz they were sooooooo pretty and did not know what to do with them, so i let them sit and sit until they kinda started rotting. then all i could do was chop them and saute them with other veggies. this would have been so perfect! p.s. someday, when i have a lot of money, i want to have a greek summer…