A Visit to My Father’s Birth Village, Sklithro

Sklithro.jpg

Perhaps some of you have noticed my absence from the blogosphere and your blogs the past week. Well, I had a very good reason; I visited my father’s birth-village in the mainland Greece.

map_of_Greece.jpg

Sklithro.jpg

My father was born and lived there until the age of 13, when he and his family moved to Athens to pursue a better life.

P7300015.JPG

The view from my balcony.

Sklithro is situated in the mountain Mavrovouni between the mountains of Kissavos and Pilion in 440m/1,444 feet altitude. It combines mountain and sea. It was founded during the Ottoman occupation of Greece and it is situated in a place naturally protected from pirates. It is said that in the place where the village was built, there was a perennial tree of Alnus Glutinosa, which is called Sklithro in Greek. That is how it took its name. The village is surrounded by chestnut and walnut trees. It has one of the best varieties of chestnuts in Greece.

P7300020.JPG

P7300018.JPG

P7300016.JPG

Chestnut tree

Although is a mountainous in only 20 minutes’ drive, you find yourself in a beautiful beach that stretches for no less than 11 klm/6.8 miles. It is true, 11 klm/6.8 miles of continuous beach.

P8010023.JPG

P8010024.JPG

P8010025.JPG

P8010029.JPG

We have a cottage in the village and we go whenever we can. This year we took some friends with us, so it was even better. The children had the time of their lives and we had the chance to unwind from work and everyday routine.

P7300014.JPG

See how they bake handmade bread in a traditional oven here.

You can also see more here.

P8010036.JPG

We ate beautiful food and we drank tsipouro a spirit that tastes similarly to ouzo and it is made there.

P8010031.JPG

P8010037.JPG This is  cod fish with skordalia. Skordalia is made with garlic, bread or potato and olive oil.

P8010033.JPG

A type of greens called vlita. In Greece we eat many varieties of greens such as these ones.

36 Responses to A Visit to My Father’s Birth Village, Sklithro

1. Μarion says:

Δεν θα σχολιάσω τις τελευταίες φωτο με τα πιάτα…:)

Το χωριό είναι σε πολύ όμορφο μέρος. Κι αυτή η θέα από τομπαλκόνι φοβερή. Η παραλία φανταστική.
    Ναστε καλά να πηγαίνετε συχνά Κατερίνα μου

3. Ambreen says:

Looks like you had a great trip, Katerina! Gorgeous pictures & delicious looking food!

5. Whats up very nice blog!! Guy .. Excellent .

. Superb .. I will bookmark your website and take
    the feeds also? I am happy to find numerous useful information
    here in the post, we need work out extra strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing.
    . . . . .

7. How lucky you are to have such a wonderful place to visit. My son and his wife just returned from Greece for their honeymoon. We’ll be going to their house for dinner tonight to see their pictures. I can’t wait. Have a wonderful week. :)

9. Sutapa says:

Wow Katrina …..what a lovely place….. everything around is so beautiful…the mountain, the trees, the beach and delicious foods!I think this one is best gift from your father to you and your family. I wish I could join you…but all your pics are so vibrant that I too can feel the serenity of this wonderful village!!!

What a lovely trip! All of the scenery is gorgeous!

Wonderful landscapes and such a luscious food! I am sure you have made everyone want togo on holiday to Greece ;-)

15. Welcome back! I knew you would share some photos and I’m here right on time! I also took 2 weeks off too, and my vacation is close to the end… having vacation withdrawal at this moment and I’m getting inspiration from bloggers. :-) Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Hope you had a good relaxing time at the beach… :-)

Everything is beautiful—the landscape, the food, that beach! I have vacation envy.

19. Julie says:

What a beautiful place! How wonderful to visit your father’s birthplace.

What a wonderfully beautiful place! I can’t imagine anything more lovely than having mountains and sea together so close. Lovely photos and the food looks amazing!

What an amazing journey into your father’s past. The beach looks gorgeous!

25. such wonderful photos! that food looks so delicious! sounds like you had a great trip!

I’m going to have to check with my daughter but I think it is quite possible she may have stayed in this area of Greece while visiting friends. She often talks of the beach and the gorgeous trees and landscape. Of course the food is to die for too!!!

Thank you so much for sharing, Katerina, what a lovely place to sit back and enjoy:)

29. Tina says:

Thoughts that sprang to mind are Paradise. Relaxing. Peace. Beauty.
    What a lovely place to spend time. Thank you for sharing that with us, Katerina. The food alone is to die for but that scenery – priceless.

(OMG, I sound like a mastercard commercial!!)

Wow Katerina, the pictures are so pretty…such a peaceful place…I am sure that you all could use a restful time…the food look very tasty and interesting these vita greens.
    Hope you are ready for the city life :)

33. Reeni says:

What a stunning place Katerina! I’m glad you were able to get away and relax! It’s good to have you back.

Nice to see you back and it looks like your little break was very relaxing and full of culinary flavours:))
    pretty surroundings and good food!

Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

37. A beautiful place! I am sure that you had a great time there. The bean dish looks extremely tempting!

Katerina, Such stunning photos of your beautiful country! Thanks for taking me along! That bean dish looks so wonderfully delicious!!

One of these days I WILL get to Greece!

43. Eri says:

Amazing place, it;s my second summer far from Greece, I just love those pictures! Have a nice day Katerina!

Absolutely gorgeous! What beautiful foods too. Very good to have you back.

47. Hermoso lugar y las comidas están irresistible,me ensantaría estar en esos lugares ,lindo post,abrazos hugs,hugs.

49. What a beautiful place. And such delicious foods. What a wonderful place to stay.

51. Looks like an awesome pilgrimage!

53. Κατερίνα μου δεν ήξερα τι να πρωτοθαυμάσω: το καταπράσινο χωριό του μπαμπά, την πανέμορφη παραλία ή αυτούς τους απίθανους γίγαντες! :)
    Πόσο τυχεροί είστε που έχετε σπίτι στο χωριό και που μπορείτε να απολαμβάνετε τέτοιες φυσικές ομορφιές!
    Φιλιά πολλά!

55. CCU says:

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and fascinating trip with us my friend :)

Wow,
    This place looks incredible and the food is just amazing!!! Sounds like you had a fun trip!

59. Xara says:

Hi Katerina,glad you’re back,looks like you had a wonderful time,away from the busy city and the horrible heat wave..The beach is just beautiful and so is all the food..I miss Greece…:(

61. Faith says:

It looks like it was an amazing trip, and I’m sure it was even more special because it’s where your father is from. Your pictures are lovely, thank you for sharing them with us! The food all looks wonderful.

63. Candace says:

Katerina, it’s so beautiful there! It’s so special that you were able to take this sentimental journey. And the food looks fantastic!

65. Katerina, what a beautiful place! What are those vlita greens? I’d like to learn about it a little more… :)

Découvrir ses racines et savourer de nouveaux plats, n’est-ce pas formidable?!!!

69. Mountains and the beach while tracing your family roots, sounds like a great time and wonderful food was enjoyed

71. Cucina49 says:

It sounds like you had an amazing time, and what gorgeous photos! Greece is near the top of my must-visit list.