Veal Stroganoff

34.JPG

My brother brought me a little box of Hungarian paprika last year. To tell you the truth, I didn’t have the chance to use it as often as I wanted. So, when I saw this recipe for Beef Stroganoff, I thought that it was the right meal for me to finally use some of this aromatic and beautifully colored paprika. The original recipe comes from Closet Cooking. I made quite a few alterations as always and the final result was amazing. The sauce was so full of flavor and the beef just melted in your mouth. Definitely a winter dish from the ones that warm your heart and make you smile in a cold day.

The dish comes from Russia and it took its name from the Stroganov family, rich peasants who eventually became counts thanks to Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia. I love all this history behind the dish, don’t you?

Anyway, the dish was absolutely delicious and I will definitely repeat it in the future!

36.JPG

200 ml crème fraiche or sour crème

1 cup red wine

2 cups stock from the veal

8 tbsp olive oil, divided

2 tbsp corn flour

37.JPG

In a pot pour the 4 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the veal for couple of minutes. Add the water and the 2 cups of red wine and boil for an hour or an hour and a half. Take the veal out and reserve the stock.

In another pot, pour the other 4 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the onion in medium heat, until it becomes soft. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté, until they become soft as well.

Add the veal, the tomato paste, the paprika, the dill, 1 3/4 cups of the reserved stock and 1 cup of red wine. Reduce heat and boil until the veal is soft.

Mix the corn flour with the ¼ of the veal stock that you reserved and throw it back to the pot. When the sauce is thickened, remove from heat and add the crème fraiche.

Serve over pasta or rice.

35.JPG

36 Responses to Veal Stroganoff

1. kristy says:

I really love meat with loads of gravy and yours looks simply amazing.
    Hope you’re having a wonderful festive season.
    Blessings,
    Kristy

I made a stroganoff once in the slow cooker and the sauce was so good. This looks like a delicious version as well! Definite comfort food.

5. I love veal stronganoff especially made with veal and not beef! This recipe sounds perfect and I love the touch of dill too.

7. Julie M. says:

Stroganoff is one of my all time favorite dishes. My mom used to make it for us all the time growing up. This version looks positively mouthwatering!

9. Kristen says:

That looks so hearty and delicious. Veal isn’t something my husband enjoys so I don’t get to eat it often.

11. Raina says:

I am a big fan of stroganoff. Your recipe looks and sounds delicious, especially with the Hungarian paprika.

I love the new look of your blog…very nice:)

13. Anzz says:

Love your new site. Great work. There is an award waiting for you at my site. Do collect it.

15. sally says:

Looks so hearty! I might leave out the veal and increase the mushrooms to make a vegetarian version.

17. Melissa says:

This looks so good!!! And the photos are awesome! Makes me want to reach into my computer and grab the food, lol.

I love the history too. Thanks for sharing the background story, and the recipe!

21. Faith says:

Your new site is gorgeous, Katerina! I always love hearing the story behind a recipe too…it makes it even more special. Your Stroganoff looks delicious!

23. muppy says:

you just reminded me how much i love stroganoff :)

25. Simply Life says:

my family would go crazy over this dish!

27. Zoe says:

The sauce of this dish is beautiful. No wonder you would make this dish again.

Κατερίνα μου πολύ ωραίο φαίνεται.
    Και λίγο καυτερό & πικάντικο του πάει. Οι βιδούλες δίπλα υπέροχο συνοδευτικό.

31. una receta perfecta me encanta,luce sabrosa y tentadora,abrazos.

33. Your veal stroganoff looks delicious!

35. Jeannie says:

Looks simply delicious! It looks like curry! yummy!

37. Rita says:

I was sure I had commented on your veal, but it didn’t happen. My recipe is very similar to yours except I make it with beef; love veal. I will be trying this next time for sure.
    Rita

39. Looks like a great homely dish for the chilly nights, very interesting points about the origin of the dish. I always like a bit of history with my food :)
    Take care..

41. Ambreen says:

Stroganoff looks super good, very delicious!

43. Hi Katerina-It’s been ages since I visited your blog. So nice to hear from you…I missed your blog and now, to see you posted a Hungarian dish, I would call it such; actually a Veal Gulyash since you used that amazing paprika from Hungary!
    Plating is beautiful, simple, delicious, yet so elegant!

45. I have never made strognanoff..this looks so delicious!

That makes such a nice presentation, Katerina. The color must come from the tomato paste and paprika. I’ve usually made a white stroganoff. This looks delicious. Like the veal in place of beef too.

49. Laurie says:

Looks delicious..my family would love ths!

51. Love Stroganoff, your dish looks so good! Pure comfort food!

53. Prathima Rao says:

Simply irresistible..Totally loved the sauce recipe ;)

55. Corina says:

I love stroganoff. It’s a great autumn and winter dish.

57. Mari says:

Κατερίνα έχω κι εγώ πάπρικα από την Ουγγαρία και δεν την έχω χρησιμοποιήσει ακόμη, αν βάλεις τόση πολύ (2 κουταλιές) στο φαγητό γίνεται καυτερό; Πάντως το φαγητό φαίνεται πεντανόστιμο!!
    Φιλιά πολλά

• Katerina says:

Αν η πάπρικά σου είναι γλυκιά σαν τη δική μου τότε δεν έχεις κανένα πρόβλημα. Αν είναι καυτερή τότε ρίξε με προσοχή, ίσως 2 κουταλάκια του γλυκού. Φιλιά Πολλά!

59. Tiffanee says:

WOW! That looks so delicious! I wanted to eat it right off your blog!

61. Andrea says:

Wow that looks so delicious!!

63. Kirsten says:

What a gorgeous dish! My husband adores Beef Stroganoff, so I will be making this for him, soon. Your new site is beautiful!

65. Candace says:

I adore Veal. I never have thought to make stroganoff with it. That must be amazing. Your pictures are just gorgeous, Katerina. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I’m pinning it to try soon. Have a great week!

67. divya says:

Looks super delicious and inviting..

69. Wow! Your Veal Stroganoff looks so perfectly delicious with the pasta!