Greek Gyros

Greek Gyros

I think that the most famous and well known Greek food is probably souvlaki. And it has every right to be, as it is not only super delicious, but also it is an easy to put together and whole meal on its own.

In Greece, we love souvlaki and all its variations. In every neighborhood one will find more than one store that make and sell them. I can safely say that there is not one person who doesn’t eat it at least once every two weeks. Souvlaki is something like street food for us not so because it is sold by street vendors, but more in the sense that we buy it and eat it quickly and sometimes even as we walk.

There are three types of souvlaki with pita those being kalamaki (pieces of meat threaded through a wooden stick), Kebab (a sort of long sausage like burger) and gyros. All these can be eaten either plain or wrapped in a pita.

Greek Gyros

Gyros is basically large pieces of pork stacked one on top of the other, pierced in their center by a metal stick that turns around an electric element. A man with a sharp knife cuts every now and then the parts of the meat that are done, leaving the inner part bake as well. Souvlaki, by far, is one of Greeks’ most favorite food and apart from the easiness to consume it even while you are walking, it is super tasty too.

Souvlaki draws its routes from ancient Greece. The first mention of it is in Iliad, where we see Achilles barbeque parts of meat. Igisippos in his ancient cookbook mentions a meal called Kàndavlos that contains parts of broiled meat, cheese, pita and dill that was served with stock. In ancient Roman scripts, we can see souvlaki made with intestines and later in Constantinople there were street vendors selling souvlaki with pita. Nevertheless, it was not until the ’40 that souvlaki started having the massive acceptance it has today by the Greeks.

Greek Gyros

We all love souvlaki and we adore gyros, so I thought I should try to make it at home. I knew it was not going to be exactly as the one we eat in souvlaki stores, but it would be homemade, with good quality meat with no fats. I marinated the meat and left it overnight and next morning I baked it and broiled it. It was so juicy and tender you cannot believe. You can try this marinade in other pork parts like spareribs, chunks, pork tenderloin etc. It gives the meat such a great flavor and makes it super tender.

Greek Gyros

Greek Gyros

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Main Course
  • 5 pork thick chops
For the Marinade
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (feel free to add as many cloves as you like, the stronger the better)
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • ⅓ cup mustard
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. In a non-reactive bowl place all ingredients of the marinade and the chops.
  2. Mix well.
  3. Cover with a cling film and place it in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Next Day
  1. Preheat oven to 220°C / 425°F.
  2. Take out of the fridge the chops and let them come at room temperature.
  3. Place them on a baking tray and bake them for 15 minutes turning them around after 8 minutes.
  4. Change from bake to grill and broil them for another 10 minutes turning them around again after 5 minutes.
  5. Remove and let them rest for 5 minutes.
  6. Stack them one over the other and with a sharp knife start slicing thin pieces.
  7. Serve with pitas and tzatziki.

Γύρος με Πίτα

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Κυρίως Πιάτο
  • 5 χοιρινές μπριζόλες
Για τη Μαρινάδα
  • 1 κρεμμύδι, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 2 σκελίδες σκόρδο, λιωμένο
  • 2 κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • ⅓ φλ. μουστάρδα
  • ¼ φλ. ελαιόλαδο
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι
  1. Σε ένα γυάλινο μπολ βάζουμε όλα τα υλικά της μαρινάδας και τις μπριζόλες.
  2. Ανακατεύουμε καλά.
  3. Σκεπάζουμε με μια μεμβράνη και τοποθετούμε το στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον 6 ώρες ή όλη νύχτα.
Την επόμενη ημέρα
  1. Προθερμαίνουμε το φούρνο στους 220°C.
  2. Βγάζουμε από το ψυγείο τις μπριζόλες και τις αφήνουμε να έρθουν σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου.
  3. Βάζουμε σε ένα ταψί και ψήνουμε για 15 λεπτά γυρίζοντάς τις μετά από 8 λεπτά.
  4. Γυρίζουμε το φούρνο στο γκριλ και ψήνουμε για 10 λεπτά ακόμα, γυρίζοντας τις πάλι μετά από 5 λεπτά.
  5. Αφαιρούμε και αφήνουμε να ξεκουραστούν για 5 λεπτά.
  6. Τις τοποθετούμε τη μία πάνω στην άλλη και με ένα κοφτερό μαχαίρι ξεκινάμε να κόβουμε λεπτές φέτες.
  7. Σερβίρουμε με πίτες και τζατζίκι.

24 Responses to Greek Gyros

1. Jennifer says:

Mmmmm….a delicious classic! You are making me hungry this early in the morning! Have a lovely rest of the week, Katerina. :)

3. I always come away from your posts learning something. I didn’t know that there were different types of souvlaki and that gyros were considered one of them. Your gyros sound full of flavor from your marinade…good job.

We will love your Greek Gyros, this looks fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back to see us real soon!

7. Jennifer says:

Love the sound of that marinade. Have to try it soon. Thanks! Bookmarked! Have a wonderful day.

9. Love dishes you can wrap up and eat. Your pork chops look so good. Of course the more garlic the better… LOL

11. Balvinder says:

This looks like a healthy and simple yet delicious lunch!

13. ZazaCook says:

Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe, Katerina. Looks super delicious! Can’t wait to make it!

Well this was a timely post, Katerina! I have a big thick pork chop in the freezer and was just wondering what to do with it! Here’s the answer! Looks fabulous!

17. Monica says:

Looks so good!! A Greek restaurant opened up in our town about a year ago and it’s been so popular. Love learning more about a type of food I’m not too familiar with. And gyros are always awesome.

What a fabulous meal!! It would sure be a hit with the carnivores at my house :)

We love gyro, and often have beef ones, and I do not remember trying pork…I am surprised with the amount of mustard in the marinade…no wonder taste so good…thanks for the recipe Katerina!
    I hope you are having a nice week :)

I’ve only had gyros once and they were made with not very good tasting lamb meat. I think I would love them made with pork as yours are, Katerina!

25. GiGi Eats says:

GYROS are my life. Seriously adore them so so so so so much – same goes with shawarma! I could eat them every single day and I basically do! 😉

Ο πιο εύκολος γύρος που έχω δει.
    Και φυσικά σπιτικός και πιο υγιεινός.
    Τέλειο!!

29. Really good post — learned a lot. Love gyros! Good read — thanks.

Katerina, I love pork (beef could disappear from the earth for me, but pork… I couldn’t live without!), so imagine how your today’s post makes me hungry! When I was a student and used to party a lot, we would often go to eat some kebabs early in the morning or in the middle of the night. One day a friend took me to the only bar in town owned by a Greek man and there I had gyros. How extraordinary it was and how light and sophisticated compared to all the kebabs I’d ever had! I fell in love! I had no idea it went back to ancient Greece. Now I love it even more.
    I must do it at home and only hope my clumsy Indian naans will do instead of the delicious bread at your photograph.

33. Oh yum, that looks amazing, I would love to try this☺

it’s a simple marinade but it packs a punch of flavor! great gyros!

37. Pam says:

There are many Greek restaurants in the surrounding area, 3 of them in our little town, and gyros rule with my family, right up there with moussaka and kalamari. The gyros are all made with lamb here. I’ve never made them since they’re so delicious at the restaurants but maybe now I should try. Thanks, Katerina!

39. Sues says:

Yum! My husband and I both love gyros and these would be so much fun to have at home!

So interesting that pork is the actual gyro meat. Here in the US it’s usually lamb.

43. gloria says:

Love greek food!! Look delicious!!

45. manu says:

Oh the presentation looks divine, I bet it’s delicious too!
    Have a great week

47. My husband loves Greek food a lot and this is definitely his top favourite!