Rice Pudding (Rizògalo)

rice-pudding-4a

In Greece, it used to be a custom, children to take the names of their paternal grandparents. For example, my name is Katerina just like my father’s mother and my brother’s name is John just like my father’s father. They did it mostly to keep the generation’s name alive and out of respect for the older. That’s how they perceived continuance. Today this tradition is still kept alive but people are not as consistent as they used to be.

My grandmother Katerina was a woman who suffered many hardships in her life; from World War II to Civil War and her imprisonment for her political ideas. She raised three children and while her husband, my grandfather, was in prison too she managed to keep the family united and look after them. She was completely illiterate something that was so difficult for me to conceive as a child. When I was in elementary school I tried to teach her how to read and write, but I guess she was too old and too impatient to be able to concentrate and commit herself. She loved me so much that she sat with me for hours and pretended to learn just to make me happy. Since I had her name, I dare say that she loved me just a pinch more than her other grandchildren.

rice-pudding

As I am getting older, I miss my grandparents more and more and regret that I didn’t get as much of them as possible back when I had them all. I have the best memories of them and always keep their love inside me.

Rice pudding was one of my grandmother’s favorite sweets. Since she lived in the village for many years, the ingredients she had available were limited and she, just like all the villagers back then, tried to make the best out of them. Rice pudding is a sweet we find in almost all kitchens of the world.

rice-pudding

The introduction of rice in Europe is not so certain. Some scholars say that it was in the 8th century, while others say that it was not until late 10th century that rice first came to Europe. Rice was known to European people as early as in the ancient Greece and was used for medical purposes.

The cultivation of rice into this part of the Mediterranean was the result of the merchant vessels that set sail from these southern waters. With the property of rice to need abundant water and sun for growth, the plant settled itself in parts of Northern Italy and Spain. In Greece rice is widely cultivated in the northern and central parts of the land.

Rice pudding is an easy nutritious sweet that can be made very easily and quickly with ingredients everyone has in his closets.

rice-pudding

Rice Pudding (Rizògalo)

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Dessert
Serves: 6-7 bowls
  • 1 kilo minus 4 tbsp / 2 lb. milk
  • 70 gr. / 2.5 oz. rice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 to 5 tbsp corn starch dissolved in 4 tbsp cold milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon for garnishing
  1. In a pot add about 300 gr. / 11 oz. water and bring to boil.
  2. Add a pinch of salt and the rice and simmer until the rice becomes very soft.
  3. it took me 40 minutes.
  4. Remove from fire and drain the rice to get rid of the excess water.
  5. In another pot pour the milk and sugar and bring to boil.
  6. Throw the corn starch and whisk until it starts to thicken.
  7. Add the rice and simmer for about five minutes.
  8. With an immersion blender mash the rice and add the vanilla extract.
  9. Divide the batter to small bowls and let it stand until it reaches room temperature.
  10. Cover and put in the fridge.
  11. Just before you serve sprinkle some cinnamon on top.

Ρυζόγαλο

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Επιδόρπιο
Serves: 6-7 μπολ
  • 1 κιλό γάλα μείον 4 κουταλιές της σούπας
  • 70 γρ. ρύζι, γλασέ ή Καρολίνα
  • 1 φλ. ζάχαρη
  • 4 κ.σ. με 5 κ.σ. κορν φλάουρ διαλυμένο σε 4 κ.σ. κρύο γάλα
  • 1 κ.γ. εκχύλισμα βανίλιας
  • Κανέλα για το γαρνίρισμα
  1. Σε μια κατσαρόλα προσθέτουμε περίπου 300 γρ. νερό και φέρνουμε σε βρασμό.
  2. Προσθέτουμε μια πρέζα αλάτι και το ρύζι και σιγοβράζουμε έως ότου το ρύζι γίνει πολύ μαλακό.
  3. Εμένα μου πήρε 40 λεπτά περίπου.
  4. Βγάζουμε από τη φωτιά και σουρώνουμε το ρύζι για να απαλλαγούμε από το νερό που έχει μείνει.
  5. Σε μια άλλη κατσαρόλα ρίχνουμε το γάλα και τη ζάχαρη και φέρνουμε σε βρασμό.
  6. Ρίχνουμε το κορν φλάουρ και ανακατεύουμε μέχρι να αρχίσει να πήζει.
  7. Προσθέτουμε το ρύζι και σιγοβράζουμε για περίπου πέντε λεπτά.
  8. Με ένα ραβδομπλέντερ λιώνουμε το ρύζι και προσθέτουμε το εκχύλισμα βανίλιας.
  9. Βάζουμε το μείγμα σε μικρά μπολ και τα αφήνουμε να σταθούν μέχρι να φτάσουν σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου.
  10. Καλύπτουμε και βάζουμε στο ψυγείο.
  11. Λίγο πριν σερβίρουμε ρίχνουμε λίγη κανέλα στην κορυφή.

18 Responses to Rice Pudding (Rizògalo)

The story is so precious and thanks for sharing it along with this fabulous Rice Pudding. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday. We look forward to seeing you again real soon!

3. We are on a rice kick and I think I could dial down the sugar a bit and we could still enjoy it!

5. mjskitchen says:

Thanks for sharing the story on your grandparents and your name. Very interesting and sad that they suffered so many hardships. :( Your rice pudding is so a wonderful way to remember them. I love rice pudding, but never could make it right. Maybe now I can. Thanks for much!

7. ZazaCook says:

My husband and I are a big fan of rice pudding. I would love to eat one right now;)

9. Το ρυζόγαλο το αγαπάμε πολύ οικογενειακώς!
    Το σκεφτόμουν μάλιστα σήμερα το απόγευμα όπως επέστρεφα από το γραφείο και σκεφτόμουν ότι καιρό έχω να φτιάξω :)
    Και να που ήρθε η συνταγή σου να με ξεσηκώσει για τα καλά!
    Εύχομαι από καρδιάς καλή χρονιά, με υγεία και ευτυχία!
    Σε φιλώ

11. I have fond memories of a few dishes my grandmother used to make for me…it is nice when we prepare them that we are reminded of their love for us. Your rice pudding sounds good and is different in that it is blended smooth. I’ve never had it that way and must give it a try.

13. I haven’t made rice pudding in ages. Don’t know why not — it’s such good food. And one just has to have cinnamon as a garnish! I think it’s illegal not to. :-) Yours looks excellent — thanks.

15. Love rice pudding and we usually eat our still warm with the spices but will have to try your version that you can make ahead. Hope your 2017 if FAB! Just pinned!

Xoυχουλιάρικο γλυκό με παιδικές αναμνήσεις Κατερίνα μου.
    Τι ωραίο.
    Ωραία ιδέα που ελιωσες το ρύζι.. δεν το ειχα σκεφτεί.
    Εγινε πολύ ωραίο.

Φιλιά πολλά

19. Cecilia says:

I actually never had rice pudding, but I definitely would try it! Thanks for sharing. 5 stars from me …

i was actually surprised to like rice pudding, but i definitely do! what a satisfying dessert. :)

23. So nice to remember your grandmother like this, she was a strong woman. And had good taste, I adore a good rice pudding.

I wish I had even one of my grandmother’s recipes! My maternal grandmother died when my mother was only 8 years old and my paternal grandmother was already quite old by the time I was born. I’ve asked relatives if they have any of her recipes but I haven’t found any of them yet ;( Great post, Katerina! My mother made a sweet rice dessert too :)

27. manu says:

I love rice dessert and this one should be delicious!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love

Once our grandparents disappear, many of us regret we haven’t spent more time with them. And so many amazing recipes died with them… From what I have observed cinnamon is added to rice pudding in many European countries. Your version looks particularly creamy and delicate! I love the beautiful photograph.

Thanks for the glimpse into your grandparents’ lives – it sounds like there’s quite a story to tell about them. Happy New Year to you and your family!

33. I am still not used to sweetened rice desserts, but definitely would love to try this one as it looks so creamy, light and tasty. What kind of rice did you use? Will risotto or milk rice work or any round grain?

• Katerina says:

Risotto rice will be just fine. I used a type of rice that we use in soups and becomes very soft and mushy! I think that any type of rice will do if you boil it for a long time. I boiled mine more than half hour. Have a lovely day!