Zucchini Blossoms with Three Cheeses and Mint

Zucchini Blossoms with Cheese

I was reading in the news the other day that a Chinese company, in order to increase its sales and punish its employees for their poor performance, obliges them to eat sour zucchinis. The company puts those employees who do not achieve their targets in sales to eat sour zucchinis in front of their coworkers and their supervisors.

In case someone spits the zucchinis, he or she is obliged to eat more. This method is supposed to give the employees incentives for increasing their productivity, so as to avoid this horrible procedure in the future.

Zucchini Blossoms with Cheese

It seems that this particular company has also other methods of punishing its workforce but seeing that they had no actual importance and clout among its staff, they decided to resort to such a cruel method. Now what do you think about that?

Unfortunately for them, instead of increasing the performance, they faced a 50% staff resignations. I think this is a great case study of how to treat your staff.

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

I was reading that article and coincidentally, a friend of my father’s, who has a vegetable garden, gave us some zucchinis with their blossoms on. Have you ever tried zucchini blossoms? If not, you have no idea how delicious they are! Plus they are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, natural fibers, vitamin B6, folic acid, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium. Also, and this is something not so well known, zucchinis contain polyphenols, just like olive oil, that have antioxidant properties and protect from heart attacks and diabetes.

You can fry them plain or you can stuff them with cheese, ground meat or rice. They are delicious in whichever way you decide to make them. I decided to stuff them with three types of cheese and add some mint to jazz them up a bit and let me tell you they were absolutely delicious.

Zucchini Blossoms with Cheese

Zucchini Blossoms with Three Cheeses and Mint

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer
  • 100 gr. / 4 oz. la vache qui rit cheese or 6 triangles or cream cheese
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. yellow cheese of any type, grated (you can use Monterey Jack)
  • 60 gr. / 2 oz. feta cheese, finely crumbled
  • 5 tbsp milk
  • 2 tsp dried mint
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of paprika
For the Breading
  • 16 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 22 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • About 25 to 30 blossoms
  • Olive oil to fry them
  1. In a bowl mix all the cheeses, milk, mint, paprika and salt.
  2. Remove the stamens of the flowers and stuff them with 1 tsp of the cheese batter.
  3. Close them carefully.
  4. In another bowl, mix the flour with the water and salt until one batter as thick as the one of the crepes is formed.
  5. Bathe the stuffed flowers in it and place them in a rack to drain a bit until oil becomes ready to fry them.
  6. Fry them in batches.
  7. It took me about one to one and a half minute per batch but this depends on the fire.
  8. You will understand they are done when they take a nice golden color outside.
  9. After the second batch I lowered the heat from 8 to 7 because the oil started becoming too hot.
  10. Remove, let cool a bit and serve with tzatziki or plain yogurt on mayonnaise.

Γεμιστοί Κολοκυθοανθοί με Τυριά και Δυόσμο

Για το Χυλό
  • 16 κ.σ. αλεύρι για όλες τις χρήσεις
  • 22 κ.σ. νερό
  • 1 κ.γ. αλάτι
  • Άνθη περίπου 25 έως 30
  • Ελαιόλαδο για το τηγάνισμα
  1. Σε ένα μπολ ανακατέψτε όλα τα τυριά, το γάλα, τον δυόσμο, την πάπρικα και το αλάτι.
  2. Αφαιρέστε τους στήμονες των λουλουδιών και γεμίστε με 1 κουταλάκι του γλυκού από το μείγμα τυριών.
  3. Κλείστε τα προσεκτικά.
  4. Σε ένα άλλο μπολ, ανακατέψτε το αλεύρι με το νερό και το αλάτι μέχρι να γίνει ένα χυλός σαν αυτόν που φτιάχνουμε τις κρέπες.
  5. Βουτήξτε τους ανθούς σε αυτό και τοποθετήστε τους σε μια σχάρα να στραγγίξουν λίγο μέχρι να κάψει το λάδι.
  6. Τηγανίστε σε δόσεις.
  7. Μου πήρε περίπου ένα με ενάμισι λεπτό ανά παρτίδα, αλλά αυτό εξαρτάται από τη φωτιά.
  8. Θα είναι έτοιμοι όταν πάρουν ένα ωραίο χρυσαφί χρώμα.
  9. Μετά τη δεύτερη παρτίδα μείωσα τη θερμοκρασία από το 8 στο 7 επειδή το λάδι άρχισε να γίνεται πολύ καυτό.
  10. Βγάλτε τους, αφήστε να κρυώσουν λίγο και σερβίρετε με τζατζίκι ή απλό γιαούρτι, ή μαγιονέζα.

36 Responses to Zucchini Blossoms with Three Cheeses and Mint

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week! Hope you enjoy your new Red Plate and have a great day!

3. Ομορφο καλοκαιρινο μεζεδάκι!

5. Valerie says:

We always grow zucchini but I’ve never cooked the blossoms. So trying your recipe.

7. These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them…Pinned :-0

9. Smitha H says:

this way of using zucchini blossom is new to me. looks delicious. if i try in my place it is going to be a hit as it is new here

11. Sandra says:

I bet these taste delicious! They look so delicate and pretty!

13. mjskitchen says:

We just had a very nice rain which sometimes means a lot of squash the next morning. If so, I’ll be having this for lunch tomorrow.

15. It would have been better if all of the employees quite. That’s horrible! What is not horrible is your recipe. I love zucchini blossoms and your recipe looks great!

17. Super yummy. Wish I have a chance to try out one day..

19. I’ve always wanted to do this but I can never catch my squash in time (or have enough blossoms even if I did). Great recipe. Crazy story about the worker punishment.

Katerina, I adore zucchini blossoms! I’ve never made them, but order them every time I see them on a menu. Yours look delicious and I love the filling recipe.

23. I love zucchini blossoms, this sounds like a wonderful preparation!

25. Kelly says:

I’ve heard of using blossoms before and that they’re wonderful. I have to give them a try. Your recipe looks delicious.

27. kallee says:

I have seen this once before and wanted to try it. They look like they could be really good.

Your Zucchini Blossoms are just beautiful, I love the stuffing! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!

31. Nicky says:

This looks delicious Katerina.The mint and feta cheese would add such a wonderful flavor to these. I haven’t tried them that way before.

33. I’ve got to try this soon because I love zucchini and cheese and mint! OMG, it’s like the ultimate recipe and I would probably eat the whole thing in one sitting for dinner. Can’t wait to try the recipe myself :)

35. Summer says:

This looks so delightful! Nice recipe ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

37. Balvinder says:

Not only so earthy and beautiful they sound amazingly delicious.

39. Corina says:

These look so tasty! I tried zucchini stuffed flowers once and found them a bit fiddly to make but they are so worth it!

41. Love stuffed zucchinis blossoms. Your addition of fresh mint sounds delicious. I wonder if some countries feel they can mistreat their employees because there are so many people that are willing to take their place if they quite. The revolving door of new employees is exhausting. Just pinned and shared!

I first ate zucchini blossoms in Tuscany before I was married—I never forgot how fabulous they tasted! I finally made some of my own a few summers ago—and your cheese-filled version has me craving them again!!!

I love zucchini blossoms and buy them always when I see it that the farmers market…I love you stuffing…great idea adding some mint in the mixture. Looks delicious Katerina!
    Have a wonderful week ahead my dear :)

Dear Katerina, your zucchini flowers look amazing and sound so delicious! Every year when I see them at markets, I promise myself I’ll buy and prepare them and then I forget… now the season is over (at least here no one sells them anymore….) so I’ll wait for next year!
    The story sounds cruel… I think this vegetables is also called “bitter cucumber” in Japanese recipes at least (“goya” in Japanese) and actually I like it a lot (I even want to grow it on my balcony), but in small amounts as a snack with alcohol, and of course cooked; I’ve heard it’s really awful when raw.

Μου αρέσουν πάρα πολύ οι κολοκυθοανθοί.. κι έτσι γεμιστοί με τυριά ..κόλαση!!
    Τα τρώω όλα μόνη μου 😉

I ate them once but I do not remember whether I liked them or not!:)

I ate them only once, actually I do not remember wheter I liked them or not!:)

55. These zucchinis look delicious and i love how you paired them with three different cheeses…yum!!

57. Jennifer says:

Interesting story! Haha…50% resignations! I have never had zucchini blossoms before, however, I have seen other recipes for them. Sounds intriguing with a nice cheesy filling.

59. Katerina mou you had me at zucchini blossoms and “mint”, then you added the cream cheese & the Feta? Girl, oh girl how I so wish we lived closer!! ♥ Trella!!

I live for zucchini blossoms!

63. If I had the room for a veggie garden, I would grow zucchini only for the blossoms to make your recipe.

while i know eating zucchini blossoms is a thing, i’ve never tried it or even been tempted to try it! i will say that your filling is very appealing though! :)

67. γεμιστοί με τόσο ωραία τυριά! όνειρο θα είναι!

69. Mimi says:

That is terrible! And I don’t even know what sour zucchini so are! Your blossoms are lovely, though. I need to get out my deep fryer!

71. These sound and look so good with cheese filling.