Feta Cheese Mousse with Sweet Cherry Tomatoes Confit

Feta Cheese Mousse with Sweet Cherry Tomatoes Confit

Santorini is basically what remained from a huge volcanic eruption that destroyed the earliest settlements on a formerly single island, and created the current geological caldera. Because of its volcanic soil, the island’s produce has a unique flavor. It is famous for its wines, cherry tomatoes and white eggplants.

The origins of Santorini cherry tomatoes are somewhat mysterious. There are two stories; the first says, that they came from Italy during Venetian occupation. A monk brought the seeds and they found a very friendly, fertile soil to grow. Another story says that they came from Egypt via the Santorini sailors who carried soil for opening the Suez Canal.

Feta Cheese Mousse with Sweet Cherry Tomatoes Confit

This cherry tomato is unique in flavor as it takes advantage of the waterless environment of the island, the volcanic soil full of minerals and trace elements and the necessary humidity that covers the island during the nights. In the old days and because there were no refrigerators or cans, housewives let them dry in the sun or made them double concentrated tomato paste so as to use it during winter time.

In 1926 the first factory that processed these cherry tomatoes was built and they became the first product this island started to export. In 2013 Santorini cherry tomato was included in the European Union’s list of Protected Designation of Origin which means that its name just like feta’s name are protected and cannot be used by anyone else.

Feta Cheese Mousse with Sweet Cherry Tomatoes Confit

Although weather is a bit unstable lately, I can safely say that we are heading towards summer. During summer I enjoy inviting friends and stay out and enjoy the warm weather. Before I serve the mains, I love to make something different, more to the gourmet side for lifting our appetite.

This feta mousse is lo airy and packed with flavors, mainly because of the mint, you won’t believe it. You can use it also as a spread on bread or a pita, you can make sandwiches and add it to give extra flavor or you can make it into little balls and add it to salads or roasted vegetables. I decided to pair it with Santorini cherry tomatoes in a light syrup and let me tell you the swapping between savory and sweet is absolutely delicious. This sweet confit can be used also with meat or other cheese or on a broiled piece of bread like a bruschetta.  Just try it and I am sure you will find a way that suits your taste.

Feta Cheese Mousse with Sweet Cherry Tomatoes Confit

• 500 gr. / 1 lb cherry tomatoes
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. sugar
  • 250 ml / 8.5 fl oz water
  • 1 tsp mixed red and green peppercorns
  • 2 star anises
For the Feta Cheese Mousse
  1. In a blender we add all the ingredients and mix until we get a smooth paste.
  2. Transfer to a round mold about 15 cm / 6 in. diameter and place to the fridge to cool about 2 hours.
For the Cherry tomato Confit
  1. In a pot filled with boiling water place the cherry tomatoes for one minute.
  2. Take them out put them in cold water with ice for a minute and then remove carefully their skin without destroying their shape.
  3. Put aside.
  4. In a pot add the sugar, water, peppercorns and star anises and bring to boil.
  5. Lower heat to low and let it simmer for half an hour or until it has become half the quantity from the original one.
  6. Add the cherry tomatoes very carefully and bring to boil.
  7. The tomatoes will ooze juices and through boiling they will evaporate.
  8. Boil for a few minutes or until most of the juices are absorbed.
  9. Remove, let them cool and place them in the fridge as well.
  10. Leave them for an hour and then unmold the cheese and place the cherry tomatoes on top.
  11. Serve with crostini, pitas or warm bread.
Recipe for the confit adapted loosely from Stelios Parliaros

Μους Φέτας με Σάλτσα από Γλυκά Ντοματίνια Σαντορίνης

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
Για τη Μους Φέτας
  • 100 γρ. τυρί φέτα
  • 100 γρ. τυρί κρέμα
  • 200 ml κρέμα γάλακτος 35% λιπαρά
  • 8 φύλλα φρέσκου δυόσμου
  • ½ κ.γ. ξερό δυόσμο
  • ½ κ.γ. κρεμμύδι σε σκόνη
  • Πιπέρι
Για το Ντοματάκι Κονφί
  • 500 γρ. ντοματίνια
  • 200 γρ. ζάχαρη
  • 250 ml νερό
  • 1 κ.γ. ανάμεικτα κόκκινο και πράσινο πιπέρι
  • 2 αστεροειδείς γλυκάνισους
Για τη Μους Φέτας
  1. Σε ένα μπλέντερ προσθέστε όλα τα υλικά και ανακατέψτε μέχρι να έχετε μια λεία αλοιφή.
  2. Μεταφέρετε σε μια στρογγυλή φόρμα με διάμετρο 15 cm και τοποθετήστε τη στο ψυγείο να κρυώσει περίπου 2 ώρες.
Για το Ντοματάκι Κονφί
  1. Σε μία κατσαρόλα νερό που βράζει τοποθετήστε τα ντοματάκια για ένα λεπτό.
  2. Βγάλτε τα έξω, βάλτε τα σε παγωμένο νερό με παγάκια για ένα λεπτό και μετά αφαιρέστε προσεκτικά τη φλούδα τους χωρίς να καταστρέψετε το σχήμα τους.
  3. Βάλτε τα στην άκρη.
  4. Σε μια κατσαρόλα βάλτε τη ζάχαρη, το νερό, το πιπέρι και τους γλυκάνισους και φέρτε σε βρασμό.
  5. Χαμηλώστε τη φωτιά στο χαμηλό και αφήστε να σιγοβράσει για μισή ώρα ή μέχρι να μείνει η μισή ποσότητα από την αρχική.
  6. Προσθέστε τα ντοματίνια πολύ προσεκτικά και φέρτε σε βρασμό.
  7. Οι ντομάτες θα βγάλουν χυμούς και μέσω του βρασμού αυτοί θα εξατμιστούν.
  8. Βράστε για μερικά λεπτά ή μέχρι τα περισσότερα υγρά να απορροφηθούν.
  9. Αφαιρέστε, αφήνουμε να κρυώσει και τοποθετείστε στο ψυγείο.
  10. Αφήστε τα για μια ώρα και στη συνέχεια βγάλτε το τυρί από το καλούπι και τοποθετήστε τα ντοματίνια στην κορυφή.
  11. Σερβίρετε με κριτσίνια, πίτες ή ζεστό ψωμί.
Συνταγή για τη γλυκιά σάλτσα εμπνευσμένη από αντίστοιχη του Παρλιάρου

42 Responses to Feta Cheese Mousse with Sweet Cherry Tomatoes Confit

1. mjskitchen says:

I’ve read through this recipe twice now and since my mouth is watering and stomach is growling, I know that I will have to make this soon. Wish I could find some of the Santorini tomatoes, but I’m sure that is impossible. Knowing that soil does affect flavor, it would be interesting to taste tomatoes grown in volcanic soil. Interesting post and a gorgeous, delicious dish. The feta mousse sound fabulous!

3. Ilka says:

Looks super delicious!

5. How amazing is this!! Have a great week, Katerina. :)

7. I love the historic story behind this dish and the dish itself looks suer delicious and unique!

9. Kelly says:

We love feta in this house. This sounds delicious. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

11. Nicky says:

I haven’t had anything like this before. The addition of the mint sounds delicious. I rarely enjoy feta any other way than as a stand alone item or added to a salad or seafood dish. I’ll have to try this very soon.

oh my heavens, this sounds delicious! creamy and savory and completely satisfying, and unique too! pinned, for sure. :)

15. CakePants says:

Oh wow, feta mousse sounds divine! Several years ago I had the good fortune to be able to visit Santorini very briefly, but I didn’t get the chance to have a meal on the island. That’s so interesting that the volcanic soil gives local produce a distinct flavor!

Gorgeous starter, Katerina! I love your precision, presentation and the photograph is simply extremely professional! The mousse sounds too good to be forgotten, so I put it down on my testing list. Santorini cherry tomato must be so full of flavours from what I read… I hope to taste it one day!

I hope to get to Santorini someday – it sounds absolutely gorgeous! In the meantime, this mousse looks truly delectable.

21. Such a wonderful pairing! First time seeing this..

23. Balvinder says:

I have never seen something so beautiful! I wish I could taste some!

What a delicious combination, Katerina! I love how you’ve decorated your mousse too – so pretty!

27. This sounds wonderful and looks so pretty. I’ve pinned it and will definitely be making it very soon.

29. Kallee says:

I love Feta cheese! This looks gorgeous!

31. Jessica says:

This looks incredible! I love the flavors of feta cheese and tomato together, so I’m sure it tastes wonderful!

33. This looks lovely! I am a big fan of cherry tomatoes & feta, will have to give this a try :-)

35. NancyC says:

I’m a big feta cheese fan–never would have thought of making a mousse, but it looks and sounds wonderful!

37. Another beautiful display. Seeing the recipe in two languages makes me want to pick up on my Greek language studies.

39. Hadia says:

The mousse looks divine, Katerina. And I love the sweet and savory combo.

41. Pam says:

It’s starting to warm up here and this will be a perfect recipe for this summer. It looks and sounds delicious. Interesting with the history of the tomato. Thanks for sharing!

Εκανες ενα πολύ ωραίο ορεκτικό Κατερίνα
    Με δυο βασικά υλικά. Τέλειο.
    Τα ντοματάκια πολύ ωραία με το άρωμα ουζου.

Φιλιά :)

45. Such a pretty dish! And informative read. Really good post — thanks so much.

47. gloria says:

Katerina this look absolutely beautiful !!I love appetizers!

49. Τι μαγικά πράματα κανει ενας (ταλαντουχος) άνθρωπος με δυο υλικα (φετα + ντομάτα= τα αγαπημένα μου)!

51. Sonia says:

It looks so delicious! I’m sure the feta mousse is sublime, but those tomatoes though, they are so appealing!

53. Monica says:

That’s a beautiful presentation! You make me want to go on a picnic!

55. kushi says:

WOW! They look so beautiful and delicious :-)

57. smitha says:

katerina, i have never made feta cheese mousse with sweet cherry tomatoes. The very look of the pics is making me drool.

59. Corina says:

Such an unusual recipe but it looks beautiful and sound really tasty – tomatoes and feta are always wonderful together!

61. Believe it or not, I have never made confit before. But this cheese mousse and sweet cherry combo looks intriguing. Would love to try this.

63. This delicious cheesy mousse with cherry confit would be perfect on some rustic breads and crackers. I am really intrigued by your addition of star anise to the cherry tomatoes. A little tongue numbing, a little sweet. Love that combo! Sharing!

65. manu says:

This mousse is so delicious.
    I do love feta cheese.
    Thanks for the idea!
    xox

67. mia maria says:

Τι ωραία συνταγή Κατερίνα μου! Και η μους φέτα υπέροχη αλλά το κονφί ντοματάκι με έχει ξετρελάνει!

What an interesting history of this unique tomato Katerina. Chance are we will never be able to actual taste it here in the states but it’s fascinating to learn about its history and existence.

the warmer weather is being stubborn about arriving here also. I console myself in knowing it will be here, and tomato season, eventually, lol…(we haven’t even seen strawberry season yet:)

I love this Feta Cheese Mousse you have shared with us today. I imagine it to be light and fluffy and married with the tomatoes sweet and delicious.

Thank you so much for sharing, Katerina…

71. Tante Kiki says:

Υπέροχο ορεκτικό Κατερίνα και τα ντοματίνια καταπληκτικά!! Γκουρμέ!!
    Καλό βράδυ!

73. Έχω μείνει….απίθανο πιάτο!!!!…και με γεύση ούζου τα ντοματίνια!
    Θα την φτιάξω σίγουρα, ελπίζω να πετύχω το ξεφλούδισμα.

You stole my heart with this recipe, sounds, looks and must be delicious!

I am so intrigued by those tomatoes!

79. What a beautiful appetizer! Sweet confit and salted feta mousse…I love the combo of sweet and salty..delicious!

81. I love savory appetizers like this and I enjoyed the history lesson on this tomato. I would love to try one some day.