Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce

Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce

Between 1600BC and 1100BC a great civilization flourished in mainland Greece and more specifically in the Peloponnese peninsula; The Mycenaean Civilization. It grew so strong and powerful that dominated eastern Mediterranean Sea, Crete and the islands of Aegean Sea.

The center of this civilization was the city of Mycenae, from which historians gave it its name. In the beginning they were greatly influenced by their prior and most sophisticated Minoan civilization through trade between them. Nevertheless, afterwards they managed to create their own powerful and influential society based on monarchy and a clearly specified rank system. They had strong army and their military leaders enjoyed a high status and privileges.

Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce

I am sure you all remember Trojan War that took place in Asian Minor, supposedly, because of the love of Paris son of the king of Troy for beautiful Helen wife of Menelaus king of Sparta. When Paris abducted Helen, her husband asked for help from his brother Agamemnon. Agamemnon was the king of Mycenae, thus he was the leader, at that point of time, of the Mycenaean civilization. Eventually, as we all know, Greeks managed to win and conquer Troy. This story, although may have some completely imaginary facts as the romantic part of the love between Paris and Helen, shows the imperialistic intends and of Mycenaean civilization.

Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce

Celery comes from the French céleri, which in turn comes from Italian seleri, which furthermore, comes from Late Latin selinon. Latins took it from Greeks as the earliest attested form of the word is the Mycenaean Greek se-ri-no, written in Linear B syllabic script. In 1952 the English architect Michael Ventris with the help of John Chadwick, a classic literature teacher, managed to decipher 87% of the numerous texts that were found from that period.

In North America, the type of celery that is widely traded is called ‘Pascal’ celery. In Europe the dominant variety of celery is Apium graveolens var. rapaceum grown. The last decades we also have the North American variety circulating in the market.

Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce

On Holy Saturday night, after the Resurrection Service, people return home and after 50 days of fasting they can, finally, enjoy a normal meal. The traditional meal that is served that night is called “magiritsa” and is a type of thick soup with lamb’s intestines and greens. To tell you the truth, although my whole family likes this, I don’t. So, what I usually do, is make something similar but with meat instead. This Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce is a traditional Greek dish that is eaten a lot especially throughout the colder months of the year. Nevertheless, it is also perfect for this occasion when we return back home after service and it is very late at night. It is a dish packed with celery flavor, hearty, filling and so, so tasty. You can make it either with pork or chicken, both are equally delicious.

Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce

Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Main Course
  • 1.5 kilos / 3 lb. pork or chicken, cut in thick pieces
  • 2 kilos / 4 lb. celery, cut in pieces about 4 cm / 1.5 in. long
  • 2 leeks, sliced
  • 2 scallions, sliced
  • A bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped
  • Salt, pepper
  • 2 cups water, divided
  • Olive oil for sautéing the greens and meat
For the Avgolemono Sauce
  • 1.5 cups milk full fat
  • 2 eggs
  • Juice of 3 lemons
  • 5 tbsp corn starch
  • 2.5 cups of the stew’s juice
  1. In your pressure cooker add the celery along with 1 cup of water in high heat.
  2. When it starts to boil, cover with the lid and follow your manufacturer’s instructions.
  3. From the time the valve starts to release the steam and you lower the heat, you have to cook them for 45 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and let the pressure cooker rest.
  5. In the meantime, take a skillet and pour three to four tbsp. of olive oil and sauté the scallions and leeks until they become soft.
  6. Transfer them to a bowl and in the same skillet add again some more olive oil and sauté the meat pieces for about 2 minutes per side.
  7. Remove and set aside.
  8. Open the pressure cooker and strain all the water from the celery.
  9. Remove the celery for the cooker and put it aside.
  10. In this same pressure cooker pour a few tbsp. of olive oil and place the meat pieces.
  11. On top of them add the celery, the leeks, the scallions and the chopped dill.
  12. Salt and pepper them and pour 1 cup of water.
  13. Close the pressure cooker and follow the same procedure as before.
  14. This time you will cook for half an hour.
  15. When the time has passed, let the pressure cooker rest.
  16. When all the steam is out of the pressure cooker open the lid and strain the juice, keeping 2 to 2.5 cups of it.
  17. You will need it for the avgolemono sauce.
For the Avgolemono Sauce
  1. In a pot pour all the milk, but ¼ cup.
  2. In a small bowl add the ¼ cup milk and the corn starch and whisk to dissolve.
  3. Set aside.
  4. In another bowl whisk the eggs with the lemon juice and set aside.
  5. Turn on fire to medium/high and put the pot with the milk on top.
  6. Add 1 cup from the stew’s juice to the milk.
  7. The rest 1 cup of stew’s juice pour it in the egg/lemon batter slowly, slowly so as to bring both batters at the same temperature.
  8. When the milk/juice batter starts to bubble, add the corn starch and whisk.
  9. When it starts to thicken, remove from heat and add the egg/lemon/stew juice batter and whisk to incorporate.
  10. Bring again to fire, reduce heat to low and let it boil, whisking constantly for couple of minutes.
  11. If your sauce is too thick you can add the rest ½ cup of juice to thin it.
  12. If not simply discard it.
  13. Pour the avgolemono sauce to the stew and make sure it covers the meat and the greens.
  14. Serve in a deep dish.

Χοιρινό με Σέλινο

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Κυρίως Πιάτο
  • 1,5 κιλό χοιρινό ή κοτόπουλο, κομμένο σε χοντρά κομμάτια
  • 2 κιλά σέλινο, κομμένο σε κομμάτια περίπου 5 cm
  • 2 πράσα, κομμένα σε φέτες
  • 2 κρεμμυδάκια, κομμένα σε φέτες
  • Ένα ματσάκι φρέσκο άνηθο, ψιλοκομμένο
  • Αλάτι, πιπέρι
  • 2 φλ. νερό
  • Ελαιόλαδο για το σοτάρισμα των χόρτων και των κρεάτων
Για τη Σάλτσα Αυγολέμονο
  • 1,5 φλ. γάλα πλήρες
  • 2 αυγά
  • Χυμός 3 λεμονιών
  • 5 κ.σ. κορν φλάουρ
  • 2,5 φλ. ζωμό από το φαγητό
  1. Στη χύτρα βάζουμε το σέλινο μαζί με 1 φλιτζάνι νερό σε δυνατή φωτιά.
  2. Όταν αρχίσει να βράζει, σκεπάζουμε με το καπάκι και ακολουθούμε τις οδηγίες του κατασκευαστή.
  3. Από τη στιγμή που η βαλβίδα αρχίζει να απελευθερώσει τον ατμό και χαμηλώνουμε τη φωτιά, θα πρέπει να τα μαγειρέψουμε για 45 λεπτά.
  4. Αφαιρούμε από τη φωτιά και αφήνουμε τη χύτρα να ξεκουραστεί.
  5. Εν τω μεταξύ, παίρνουμε ένα τηγάνι και ρίχνουμε τρεις έως τέσσερις κουταλιές ελαιόλαδο και σοτάρουμε τα κρεμμυδάκια και τα πράσα μέχρι να μαλακώσουν.
  6. Τα μεταφέρουμε σε ένα μπολ και στην ίδια κατσαρόλα προσθέτουμε και πάλι λίγο λάδι και σοτάρουμε τα κομμάτια κρέατος για περίπου 2 λεπτά ανά πλευρά.
  7. Τα βγάζουμε και τα αφήνουμε στην άκρη.
  8. Ανοίγουμε τη χύτρα και στραγγίζουμε το σέλινο.
  9. Το βγάζουμε από τη χύτρα και το βάζουμε στην άκρη.
  10. Στην ίδια χύτρα ρίχνουμε μερικές κουταλιές ελαιόλαδο και τοποθετούμε τα κομμάτια του κρέατος.
  11. Από πάνω προσθέτουμε το σέλινο, τα πράσα, τα κρεμμυδάκια και τον άνηθο ψιλοκομμένο.
  12. Βάζουμε αλάτι και πιπέρι τους και ρίχνουμε το άλλο 1 φλιτζάνι νερό.
  13. Κλείνουμε τη χύτρα και ακολουθούμε την ίδια διαδικασία όπως και πριν.
  14. Αυτή τη φορά θα μαγειρέψουμε το φαγητό για μισή ώρα.
  15. Όταν ο χρόνος έχει περάσει, αφήνουμε τη χύτρα να ξεκουραστεί.
  16. Όταν όλα ο ατμός βγει από τη χύτρα, ανοίγουμε το καπάκι και στραγγίζουμε το ζουμί κρατώντας 2 έως 2,5 φλυτζάνια.
  17. Θα τα χρειαστούμε για τη σάλτσα αυγολέμονο.
Για τη Σάλτσα Αυγολέμονο
  1. Σε μια κατσαρόλα ρίχνουμε το γάλα εκτός από ¼ φλιτζανιού.
  2. Σε ένα μικρό μπολ προσθέτουμε το ¼ φλιτζανιού γάλα και το κορν φλάουερ και ανακατεύουμε να διαλυθεί.
  3. Αφήνουμε στην άκρη.
  4. Σε ένα άλλο μπολ χτυπάμε τα αυγά με το χυμό λεμονιού και αφήνουμε στην άκρη.
  5. Ανοίγουμε την εστία σε μέτρια/υψηλή θερμοκρασία και βάζουμε την κατσαρόλα με το γάλα επάνω.
  6. Προσθέτουμε στο γάλα 1 φλιτζάνι ζωμό από το φαγητό.
  7. Το υπόλοιπο 1 φλιτζάνι χυμό του φαγητού το ρίχνουμε στο μίγμα αυγού/λεμονιού σιγά-σιγά ώστε να έρθουν τα δύο μίγματα στην ίδια θερμοκρασία.
  8. Όταν το γάλα αρχίσει να βράζει, προσθέτουμε το κορν φλάουρ και ανακατεύουμε.
  9. Όταν αρχίσει να πήζει, το βγάζουμε από τη φωτιά και προσθέτουμε μίγμα αυγού/λεμονιού/ζωμού και ανακατεύουμε να ενσωματωθούν.
  10. Βάζουμε ξανά την κατσαρόλα στη φωτιά, μειώνουμε τη θερμοκρασία στο χαμηλό και αφήνουμε να βράσει, ανακατεύοντας συνεχώς για μερικά λεπτά.
  11. Εάν η σάλτσα είναι πολύ σφιχτή, μπορείτε να προσθέσετε το υπόλοιπο ½ φλιτζάνι ζωμό για να αραιώσει.
  12. Αν όχι απλά πετάξτε το.
  13. Περιχύνουμε φαγητό με τη σάλτσα αυγολέμονου έτσι ώστε να καλύπτει το κρέας και τα πράσινα.
  14. Σερβίρουμε σε βαθύ πιάτο.

51 Responses to Pork with Celery and Avgolemono Sauce

1. Katerina, this sounds amazing! You have a cookbook in you….one where you do an intro about history, etc. and then the recipe. That would be an awesomely different book! :)

3. I’ve never heard of avgolemono sauce before, but this dish sounds scrumptious!

5. Your recipe sounds better than the soup to me too! Great story, as usual. :-)

7. Catherine says:

Dear Katarina, what an elegant and delicious meal. This sounds beautiful…I would love this for dinner. xo, Catherine

9. Karen says:

Thanks for sharing on Let’s Get Real Friday Party.

11. You have taken the lowly pork chop to new flavor height! WOW!

13. Danielle says:

This looks so delicious! I’d love to use it on chicken!

15. Manila Spoon says:

That dish looks deliciously creamy and I want it with a plate of rice, please! :)

17. Diane says:

Beautifully done! I love the celery facts you wove into the story! I never knew the history of celery. We are so limited here in the U. S. It’s difficult to get older heritage varieties. This dish sounds delicious! We love pork and I’m loving the look of your sauce!

19. I always enjoy reading your posts with all the terrific history and background related to your recipe.

21. I love celery but I never think of it as a main flavor component! I’m growing some celery for the first time this year, I’ll be sure to try some in this dish.

23. Balvinder says:

Great post Katerina. Loved reading about the origin of celery.
    And, the lemon sauce looks excellent!

Delicious dish, Katerina! I do like the traditional “mageiritsa”, but I also like other kinds of meat in an avgolemono sauce! Judging from the pics, it turned out really good!!! Have a great Sunday, XOXO

27. The sauce looks so yum, would prefer to pair it with chicken..

29. Sandra says:

The creamy sauce looks delicious and really like how you can switch protein from pork to chicken easily! I think it’s time I invest in a pressure cooker.

31. Mmmm. This sauce sounds amazing. I am not a big celery fan, but the dill in this dish is calling my name.

33. Ilka says:

This sauce recipe sounds delicious! I need to give this a try. All your recipes look so beautiful!

35. That sauce looks amazing. What a great way to dress up a pork chop.

37. I need to get a pressure cooker, this sounds wonderful, especially with that creamy lemony sauce, yum!

39. Nettie Moore says:

That sauce sounds fabulous with lemon! Nettie

41. Tara says:

Great post, loved reading it all. The dish is awesome and I could dive right in!!

43. I like to make pork when we have company. I think it’s a fun dish for guests. That sauce looks fabulous! Yum!

45. Nicky says:

Savory dishes using celery aren’t very common and I wish they were. The combination of dill and celery is really good and I look forward to trying this with pork soon.

47. marcela says:

I’m such a sucker for pork! Love your recipe! Gonna give it a try soon!

You know, I never stopped to think that there were other varieties of celery in the world! What a wonderful combination of flavors, Katerina. It looks delicious!

what a tasty dish! i know i’ve seen the word avgolemono before but i’ve never tried anything like this sauce–it looks and sounds delicious!

53. It all looks so delicious. I love your photography and the story you always present.

Hi Katerina:)
    I love that you have highlighted the celery in this dish. I once did a rather in depth post on celery because a visitor to my blog asked, “What’s so great about celery?” However, I think celery is pretty much neglected.

This dish looks amazing and yes, Avgolemono Sauce is sooooo good too. I’d probably be happy to indulge in the lamb intestines dish if it had Avgolemono Sauce on it.

Thanks for sharing, Katerina…

57. That sauce rocks! It looks so rich and delicious and perfect with the other white meat- pork. Sharing!

59. GiGi Eats says:

Wow that sauce looks like frosting!

61. kushi says:

Sauce sounds so creamy and delicious. Can’t wait to try this out. YUMMY!

This is such a nice dish Katerina, the sound of the sauce is just amazing…like the creamy lemony flavor in it…super delicious!
    Hope you are having a great week :)

65. Avgolemono as a sauce sounds lovely, I’ve only had soups. I’m sure this recipe is a home run!

67. Κατερίνα πολύ “δυνατό” και σούπερ δελεαστικό πιάτο, με πολλά στοιχεία παράδοσης!
    Να σου πω την αλήθεια, επειδή την κλασική μαγειρίτσα δεν την τρώω, το πιάτο σου αποτελεί εξαιρετική εναλλακτική!
    Σε μικρή ποσότητα βέβαια γιατί είπαμε είναι “δυνατό” :)
    Σε φιλώ!

69. Sarah says:

What a great and unique recipe. I’ve never heard of avgolemono sauce, but love learning about new foods and techniques!

71. Outstanding dish! The flavor combine so well together. And great pictures! Thanks.

73. Angela says:

This sounds so flavorful!! Wonderful step by step photos too! Thanks for this great recipe

75. Seriously like this sauce. Would go well on so many different things.

77. Wow! This is such a divine looking platter. I have never had avgolemono sauce before but it looks so rich and creamy. Scrumptious share.

79. This meal looks so delicious and hearty! Love the use of celery.

81. mia maria says:

Το φαγητό σου σήμερα Κατερίνα μου είναι από τα πιο αγαπημένα μου. Τι ωραία σαλτσούλα!

Πολύ ωραίο φαγητό Κατερίνα μου.
    Το χοιρινό ταιριάζει με το σέλινο και το αυγολέμονο.
    Είναι απο τα αγαπημένα μου και το έφτιαξες τέλειο.
    Η σάλτσα σου πολύ ωραία.

Φιλιά πολλά :)

I have always liked this sauce although sometimes it is to sour

I make a simple pork dish with celery, mushrooms and a splash of cream. I know my family would love yours, too!

89. Monica says:

This looks mouthwatering. That sauce over the pork…mmmm, so good! : )

I love this dish, Katerina. It contains everythingI like : the pork, the celery…. and of course the dill on top! (Dill is one of my favourite herbs). I have heard and read so much about this famous Greek sauce, I must prepare it one day!

93. manu says:

Katerina, this looks delicious. I love the sauce.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a nice day

I had no idea celery differed from place to place. I assumed everyone ate the same celery I did.

97. Stella Kartsonis says:

I have been preparing this dish for years for my family! it is a favorite. Non-Greeks think it is a unique way of using celery, other than putting it into salads or filling the crevices with cream cheese! I would encourage people to make this. It is delicious!

99. Beautiful Katerina mou, one of my favorite meals I was introduced to by my ex MIL. Of course she is from Sparta!! ♥

101. Scrumptious! That sauce looks really creamy and flavoursome. I would love to pair it with some chicken.