Masala with Mushrooms

Murgh Masala

Alexander the Great, son of King of Macedon Philip II and Olympias was born in Pella in 356 BC. When he was 20 years old, he succeeded his father to the throne. Undoubtedly, he is considered to be one of the most successful military heads throughout history as he managed to stretch his empire from Greece to Egypt, into northwest India and Pakistan.  He was undefeated and created one of the largest empires in the ancient world.

When his father Philip II was assassinated, Alexander was only 20 years old but with a strong background due to his tutor, the philosopher Aristotle and an experienced army under his command. When Alexander was given the generalship of Greek army, he used it to lead the Greeks in the conquest of Persia that threatened so many times the Greek sovereignty.

Murgh Masala

Alexander’s campaign lasted ten whole years and during that period he conquered Egypt, Syria, Phrygia, Armenia, Mesopotamia and Persia and arrived in India in an effort to reach the ends of the world. He, indeed, invaded India in 326 BC, but after his army’s demand he drew back. He died in Babylon very young in the year 323 BC after a struggle for some days. It is not clear until today what has caused his death. We can only assume, because of the dark history of assassinations in King’s court, that he was probably poisoned. He died as bravely as he lived, asking his commanders to bring each and every soldier pass by him. He waived in each and every one of them.

Alexander the Great is one of the most important military figures and many military schools still teach his tactics. He is considered to be a classic hero from the many other in ancient Greek history. The young of his age shows that he was gifted with cleverness, ability to inspire, strategic thinking and ambition qualities that place him in the pantheon of heroes of all ages.

Murgh Masala

As I was thinking about Alexander, I thought of India and his unfulfilled wish to annex that country to his empire. I, suddenly, craved some Indian food. Sissi my Polish blog friend who has a blog called With a Glass is a master in Asian and Far East food. She is also a great lover of Greek kitchen and has made some really delicious tweaks on classic Greek dishes. So, I snooped around her blog and found this Murgh Masala recipe. Murgh means chicken in Indian. She said that this one is the best recipe for someone to start experimenting with Indian kitchen as it is very aromatic and not hot at all. I have a very sensitive stomach and I try to avoid hot meals. I love spicy but not hot. This one sounded like the perfect idea and so I went to my kitchen to prepare it. Since, I was fed up with meat, I decided to go ahead and make it with mushrooms, made a few more changes and ta dah. It was so very special and really delicious. Everyone liked it including my son and it was marked as a foolproof delicious recipe to be made again with meat next time. For more delicious dishes from different countries of the world and the original Murgh Masala, I urge you to visit her blog. I am sure you will find something appealing to your taste buds.

Murgh Masala

Masala with Mushrooms

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Main Course
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Indian
Serves: 3-4
  • 1 kilo / 2lb. mushrooms, I used 400 gr. / 14 oz. oyster mushrooms, 500 gr. / 17.5 oz. Portobello, 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. white button
  • 1 large onion sliced
  • 2 tomatoes, mashed
  • 400 gr. / 14 oz. pommodori in a can with their juice
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cm fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 5 green cardamom pods
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp mild chili powder
  • 200 ml / 6.7 oz. hot water
  • 1 tsp ground cumin divided
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • A bunch of fresh parsley
  • Olive oil
  1. Cut mushrooms in thick pieces.
  2. In a pan pour couple of olive oil tablespoons.
  3. Sauté mushrooms in batches.
  4. Set aside.
  5. Take a deep pot, add olive oil and sauté the onion on medium heat until it becomes light brown.
  6. Add the garlic and sauté for another couple of minutes.
  7. Throw the cinnamon stick and the cardamom pods and continue to sauté for couple of minutes more.
  8. Add the turmeric, the chili powder, ½ tsp of cumin, the paprika, the tomatoes, the mushrooms and the water.
  9. Add salt and cook at low heat for about 30 minutes.
  10. Remove the lid from the pot; add the remaining ½ tsp of cumin and the fresh ginger and increase the heat to high and cook until the sauce starts to thicken.
  11. If you don’t want to wait so long, you can thicken it with a couple of tbsp. of corn starch dissolved in couple of tbsp. of water.
  12. Couple of minutes before turning off the heat, sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
  13. Serve with basmati rice.
Note: The author of the original recipe and Sissi advise us to let it stay for a couple of hours and then reheat it and eat it. To be honest I wasn’t able to leave it that long. I just let it stay for an hour and it was still delicious!
Original recipe from Sissi and her site With A Glass

Μασάλα με Μανιτάρια

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Κυρίως Πιάτο
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Ινδική
Serves: 3-4
  • 1 κιλό μανιτάρια, χρησιμοποίησα 400 γρ. πλευρώτους, 500 γρ. πορτομπέλλο, 100 γρ. λευκά
  • 1 μεγάλο κρεμμύδι κομμένο σε φέτες
  • 2 ντομάτες, πουρέ
  • 400 γρ. τοματίνια στο χυμό τους
  • 2 σκελίδες σκόρδο, λιωμένες
  • 2 εκατοστά τζίντζερ φρέσκο, τριμμένο
  • 1 ξύλο κανέλας
  • 5 πράσινα κάρδαμα ολόκληρα
  • 1 κ.γ. κουρκουμά
  • 1 κ.γ. ήπιο τσίλι σε σκόνη
  • 200 ml ζεστό νερό
  • 1 κ.γ. τριμμένο κύμινο
  • 1 κ.γ. πάπρικα
  • Ένα μάτσο φρέσκο μαϊντανό
  • Ελαιόλαδο
  1. Κόβουμε τα μανιτάρια σε χοντρά κομμάτια.
  2. Σε ένα τηγάνι ρίχνουμε δυο κουταλιές ελαιόλαδο.
  3. Σοτάρουμε τα μανιτάρια σε δόσεις.
  4. Αφήνουμε στην άκρη.
  5. Παίρνουμε μια βαθιά κατσαρόλα, προσθέτουμε το ελαιόλαδο και σοτάρουμε το κρεμμύδι σε μέτρια θερμοκρασία μέχρι να γίνει ανοιχτό καφέ.
  6. Προσθέτουμε το σκόρδο και σοτάρουμε για άλλα δύο λεπτά.
  7. Ρίχνουμε το ξυλάκι κανέλας και τους λοβούς του κάρδαμου και συνεχίζουμε να σοτάρουμε για δυο λεπτά ακόμη.
  8. Προσθέτουμε τον κουρκουμά, το τσίλι σε σκόνη, ½ κουταλάκι του γλυκού κύμινο, την πάπρικα, τις ντομάτες, τα μανιτάρια και το νερό.
  9. Προσθέτουμε αλάτι και μαγειρεύουμε σε χαμηλή φωτιά για περίπου 30 λεπτά.
  10. Αφαιρούμε το καπάκι από την κατσαρόλα, προσθέτουμε το υπόλοιπο ½ κουταλάκι του γλυκού κύμινο και το φρέσκο τζίντζερ και αυξάνουμε τη θερμοκρασία σε υψηλή και μαγειρεύουμε μέχρι η σάλτσα να αρχίσει να δένει.
  11. Εάν δεν θέλετε να περιμένετε τόσο πολύ, μπορείτε να τη δέσετε με δύο κουταλιές κορν φλάουρ διαλυμένο σε δυο κουταλιές νερό.
  12. Δυο λεπτά πριν σβήσετε τη φωτιά, πασπαλίστε με τον ψιλοκομμένο μαϊντανό.
  13. Σερβίρουμε με ρύζι μπασμάτι.
Σημείωση: Ο συγγραφέας αυτής της συνταγής και η Σίσσυ από την οποία την πήρα μας συμβουλεύουν να αφήσουμε το φαγητό να ξεκουραστεί για δύο ώρες και μετά να το ξαναζεστάνουμε και να το φάμε. Εγώ μπόρεσα να το κρατήσω μόνο μία ώρα και μετά το φάγαμε και ήταν τέλειο!
Συνταγή ελεύθερη προσαρμογή από το site With a Glass

46 Responses to Masala with Mushrooms

1. This looks amazing. The pictures are mouthwatering and the food looks like it is hearty and tasty!

3. NancyC says:

This looks like a delicious dish–perfect for a mushroom-lover like me! :)

5. Priya says:

I always love to try mushrooms and yet to try gravy version at home.. Lovely share

7. marcela says:

The pictures, recipe and idea are terrific! I totally love masala!

9. mjskitchen says:

Mushrooms are a great substitute for meat and one we use all of the time. I’ve marked this as a meatless main to try very soon. The flavors sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing!

11. Janet says:

Wow! YUMMY! I love this food. It looks nice and delicious. Thanks1

A great story, a yummy recipe, and a new blog to visit – wins all the way around!

15. Looks super yummy! Love that your use mushrooms here..

17. A great venture into Indian, rare to see mushrooms too.

19. Looks delicious….Indian cuisine is so interesting.

21. Erlene A says:

This looks like a wonderful veggie version of chicken masala. My youngest is always asking for more vegetarian meals and this looks like something she would enjoy.

What a fabulous recipe! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and come back soon!

25. Monica says:

Love meal ideas with mushrooms instead of meat. This looks very satisfying!

27. I love Indian food, and prefer it full of flavor but not too hot as well, this sounds wonderful, love that you used mushrooms in place of chicken!

29. Ilka says:

This masala with mushrooms looks outrageously good!

31. Love the mixed muscles and spices and such a wonderful vegan dish for meatless Mondays. This looks so delicious I would never miss the meat. Beautiful photos, sharing everywhere!

33. Looks so tasty! And I am a huge fan of mushrooms!

35. Kelly says:

My family and I love Indian dishes. Its so good for you and flavors are so rich. I love the combination of flavors this provides. Definitely trtying.

I absolutely love Indian food! I find it extremely tasty and very fragrant! Your take on the recipe sounds delicious, Katerina :) Have a great day, XOXO

39. έχει μανιτάρια, έχει τζίντζερ, έχει όλα τα αγαπημένα μου μπαχαρικά, πως να μην μου αρέσει!!
    τέλειο!

41. ZazaCook says:

Gorgeous meal! Love the flavors!

Hi Katerina,
    I never tire of hearing of the ancient times. I passed that last blog post of yours on to my granddaughter and she completely enjoyed it and has asked me to thank you. (she is too young to comment or visit blogs on her own:)

The Masala with Mushrooms does sound like the perfect introduction for a new beginner like myself. I often wish to prepare an Indian meal but fear Marion’s belly will not appreciate it. This looks lovely and doesn’t seem to have belly fire, lol…

Thank you so much for sharing, Katerina…I’m off to visit Sissi…

I love masala – sounds like it is great paired with mushrooms.

47. Love spicy food! Just a delicious blend of flavors. This is inspired — thanks so much.

49. Catherine says:

Dear Katerina, your masala looks absolutely delicious. This with some good crusty bread is all I need. I love the flavors and spices in this dish. Delicious dear! xoxo, Catherine

51. Hey,again I learned something from your blog. Thanks! This recipe sounds wonderful. I’m glad to know it’s flavorful but not hot. The Hubby will be so appreciative! H has a “wuss” mouth and I kid him all the time about that.

53. I adore mushrooms and your masala looks positively delectable!

55. Beautiful dish and loved the history lesson!

57. Mushroom masala looks so flavourful and delicious!

59. Balvinder says:

I love this. It seems like an Indian style curry.

61. This is one scrumptious looking dish!!

63. Manila Spoon says:

Love the spices you used! I can almost smell and taste how delicious this is!

Very inviting and delicious, Katerina! Our children are our biggest critics – glad your son liked it :)

67. Nettie Moore says:

Looks amazing! Nettie

Beautiful vegetarian dish Katerina, it sounds really flavorful…I like the idea of mixed mushrooms…
    Have a wonderful week dear :)

71. Cecilia says:

What a great recipe! It sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.

73. I love this vegetarian version of masala; it looks fabulous! And mushrooms are such a delicious way to make things veggie. Great recipe, and thanks for introducing me to a new (to me) blog as well.

75. This is my kind of dish using all my favorite spices. Looks delicious.

77. With all those mushrooms and spices, this is gonna be good!

79. Diane says:

This recipe looks so tasty. I love the healthy spices in this healthy dish! What a lovely, yummy meal!

81. manu says:

Katerina this recipe is so yummy…Thanks for sharing.
    Have a nice day

83. If Sissi and you like this dish then I know it has to be good. :)

85. Your mushroom masala looks so good! I too wouldn’t be able to wait that long.

87. Sarah says:

Oooo this looks delicious and just like a curry my mother-in-law makes. Love it :)

89. I love mushrooms Katerina, this looks very tasty! Right up my alley for sure!!

Dear Katerina, what a lovely surprise on Monday (the day I usually hate)! You have bought so much joy I already see the whole working week ahead in a completely different light. Your masala with mushrooms looks fantastic and you cannot imagine how proud I am to have been trusted by such a great cook as you. I’m thrilled to learn you liked this mild dish and didn’t find it too harsh. Thank you so much for making this recipe from my blog, for the links and for all the kind words about me. I feel really honoured.