Anthotiro Stuffed Mushrooms with Dried Fig Sauce

Anthotiro Stuffed Mushrooms

Zeus was a notorious womanizer, having in his conquest list many women known and unknown in ancient years. Even his sister Dimitra wasn’t able to escape his attention. One day he turned into a bull and seduced the otherwise difficult and distant Dimitra. From this union a girl was born and they gave her the name Persephone.

Dimitra was very fond of her daughter and she was returning that love equally. As Persephone was growing, her beauty became more and more astonishing. Her uncle Pluto, the god of underworld, was the victim of god Eros who stuck him with his arrow straight in the heart. One day Persephone along with Athena, Artemis and the Oceanic Nymphs was picking flowers in a vast plain. At one moment, she strayed from the other company trying to find the most beautiful one. Pluto, grasped the opportunity, opened the land in two and with his chariot abducted the beautiful Persephone. Since the other girls were far away from her, nobody could hear her screams.

Anthotiro Stuffed Mushrooms

Dimitra, not knowing where her daughter was, started mourning her loss. Day and night she was trying to find her daughter or find whatever happened to her. Since she was the goddess of the earth, she let everything to wither. The earth stopped producing food for people and nature had fallen into sleep. In one of her travels, she found shelter in the court of king of Eleusis. They gave her shelter and the myth says that in order to compensate them for their hospitality allowed one tree to grow, the Fig tree. She not only did that, but she showed them how to cultivate it and enjoy its fruits.

When Zeus saw that, the situation could lead to starvation and consequently to the extinction of human race, ordered his brother Pluto to release Persephone, so as to go back to her mother. Pluto did one trick. He gave Persephone to eat a pomegranate knowing that, if the girl ate something from the underworld she would have bonded and had to return. She ate six seeds. When Dimitra found out, she became really angry and Zeus to calm her down offered a compromise. For every seed Persephone ate, she had to live with Pluto. For every month she stayed with Pluto she had another one with her mother.

Anthotiro Stuffed Mushrooms

Thus, the deal was six months with her husband and six months with her mother. Dimitra had no choice than to accept it. Nevertheless, when Persephone was away, the earth was mourning. The trees lost their leaves and the ground was unfriendly to cultivation. Those six months represented fall and winter. When Persephone was with her mother, nature was celebrating and those six months were spring and summer.

Fig is an ancient tree almost as old as olive tree in Greece and its fruits were sacred. Ancient Athenians gained a lot of money from its export. It is said that one of the reasons Xerxes, king of Persia, attacked Athens was just to be able to get his hands on the fig trees.

Anthotiro Stuffed Mushrooms

Anthotiro is a traditional Greek cheese made from the combination of sheep or goat’s whey with sheep or goat milk. It has low calories and can be found in fresh or dried form. It is similar to Italian ricotta and if you cannot find it, you can substitute with the latter.

I was feeling really gourmet the past weekend and came up with these delicious stuffed mushrooms. The combination of savory cheese stuffing to the sweet winey sauce was simply irresistible.

Anthotiro Stuffed Mushrooms

Anthotiro Stuffed Mushrooms with Dried Fig Sauce

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer
  • 14 medium sized mushrooms, stems removed
  • 6 dried apricots, cut in small cubes
  • 4 dried figs, cut in small cubes
  • 1 cup sweet red wine
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup finely chopped mushroom stems
  • A small bunch of parsley
  • 150 gr. anthotiro or ricotta
  • 100 gr. light cream cheese
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil
  1. Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F.
  2. In a small pyrex or any oven proof vessel put the dried fruits along with the wine.
  3. Bake for about 30 minutes.
  4. Remove and set aside.
  5. In a rack place the mushrooms with their hat facing up.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes.
  7. Remove and set aside.
  8. While baking, go ahead and make the stuffing.
  9. In a skillet, pour the olive oil and in medium heat sauté the onion along with the mushroom stems until they are all soft.
  10. Add the anthotiro/ricotta and the cream cheese and stir to make a cream.
  11. Add the parsley, salt, pepper and incorporate.
  12. When it has become a smooth cream it is ready.
  13. Take a mushroom and add about 2 tsp of the stuffing.
  14. Repeat with the rest.
  15. Place them in a pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
  16. Take out of the oven.
  17. Pour some of the fig/apricot sauce on top and return to the oven.
  18. Bake for another 5 minutes.
  19. Remove, let them stay for 5 minutes and then serve.

Γεμιστά Μανιτάρια με Ανθότυρο και Σάλτσα Σύκου

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
  • 14 μεσαίου μεγέθους μανιτάρια, βγάλτε τους μίσχους τους και βάλτε τους στην άκρη
  • 6 ξερά βερύκοκα, κομμένα σε μικρούς κύβους
  • 4 ξερά σύκα, κομμένα σε μικρούς κύβους
  • 1 φλ. Μαυροδάφνη ή όποιο άλλο γλυκό κόκκινο κρασί
  • 1 κρεμμύδι, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 1 φλ. ψιλοκομμένους μίσχους μανιταριών
  • Ένα μικρό μάτσο μαϊντανό
  • 150 γρ. ανθότυρο φρέσκο
  • 100 γρ. Τυρί κρέμα light
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι
  • Ελαιόλαδο
  1. Προθερμαίνετε το φούρνο στους 175° C.
  2. Σε ένα μικρό πυρέξ βάλτε τα αποξηραμένα φρούτα μαζί με το κρασί.
  3. Ψήστε για 30 λεπτά περίπου.
  4. Βγάλτε τα από το φούρνο και αφήστε τα στην άκρη.
  5. Σε ένα ταψί τοποθετήστε τα μανιτάρια με το καπέλο τους στραμμένο προς τα επάνω.
  6. Ψήστε για 15 λεπτά.
  7. Βγάλτε τα από το φούρνο και αφήστε τα στην άκρη.
  8. Όσο ψήνονται, προχωρήστε και κάντε τη γέμιση.
  9. Σε μια κατσαρόλα, ρίξτε το ελαιόλαδο και σε μέτρια φωτιά σοτάρετε το κρεμμύδι μαζί με τους ψιλικομμένους μίσχους μανιταριών ώσπου να μαλακώσουν.
  10. Προσθέστε το ανθότυρο και το τυρί κρέμα και ανακατέψτε για να γίνει μια κρέμα.
  11. Προσθέστε το μαϊντανό, αλάτι, πιπέρι και ενσωματώστε.
  12. Όταν έχει γίνει μια λεία κρέμα είναι έτοιμο.
  13. Πάρτε ένα μανιτάρι και προσθέστε περίπου 2 κουταλάκια από τη γέμιση.
  14. Επαναλάβετε με τα υπόλοιπα.
  15. Τοποθετείστε σε ένα ταψί και ψήστε για 30 λεπτά περίπου.
  16. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο.
  17. Ρίξτε μία δύο κουταλιές από τη σάλτσα σύκου/βερίκοκου στην κορυφή και επιστρέψτε τα στο φούρνο.
  18. Ψήστε για ακόμα 5 λεπτά.
  19. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο, αφήστε τα να μείνουν για 5 λεπτά και στη συνέχεια σερβίρετε.

62 Responses to Anthotiro Stuffed Mushrooms with Dried Fig Sauce

1. I’m coming over from the Make It Pretty Monday Party and I have to say I stopped in my tracks when I saw your mushroom photographs! They are stunning!! I am just learning how to use my new camera and have so far to go! It would be wonderful if you would share your lovely post with us at our Wonderful Wednesday Link Party, at mustlovehome.com. The party starts Tuesdays at 4PM and runs all week! Hope to see you there – Christine at Must Love Home

3. How original, it looks very yummy! 😀

5. Τρελαίνομαι για γεμιστα μανιταρια πασεις φυσεως!!!

Καλό Σουκου!

7. Adele says:

Oh delicious. I became addicted to figs when I was on holiday in Turkey a few years back, so tasty!

• I totally understand that! I remember that moment perfectly, when my turkish neighbour gave me a bag of fresh figs from his trip back home. I couldn’t stop eating them! They were incomparably better, to all figs I’d ever tried before. But I like dried fruits too. They are perfect for sweets cravings and what not too many people know, they are such good source of various minerals (calcium especially).

9. Cecilia says:

I love mushrooms, and this recipe is definitely high up there. Thanks.

Your mushrooms sound wonderful! And thanks for sharing the story of Persephone.

13. I always love the mythology lessons I get from your posts! And the recipe looks delicious. I am a huge fan of mushrooms. :-)

15. Happy Belated Birthday Katerina! Wow you have completely won me over with this delicious recipe, jaw dropping photos and the story about Zeus and his family. I can’t wait to share and send smoke signals about this delicious recipe!

17. Priya says:

This is an awesome photograph I have ever seen… Recipe is awesome and photo describes it well

19. What a lovely combo! These look fantastic..

21. I may be in love with the fig sauce!

23. Sandra says:

I’ve never seen such a beautiful presentation of mushrooms! I can see myself sipping on a glass of bubbly with these!

25. Nicky says:

I have heard the story of Persephone many times, but this is the first time I’ve heard of the Fig tree as a gift. I like your version, as I love figs. Figs are wonderful fruits and we buy them whenever they are in season or dried. Your stuffed mushrooms look divine and I can’t wait to try them.

27. Ilka says:

I could just go for one of these stuffed mushroom right now! Looks so good!:)

29. I love stuffed mushrooms, this sounds like a wonderful preparation with the fig and apricot sauce!

31. Laurie says:

These look amazing! Fun to make and fun to eat!

These mushrooms look so good Katerina, like the cheese in it and the sweet fig on top…I would love these as appetizer…great for entertaining.
    Have a wonderful weekend dear :)

35. Wow, these mushrooms look absolutely wonderful. I live figs, I need to try this asap!

37. Kelly says:

This is what I saw on pinterest the other day that had me drooling!I’m going to have to watch what time of day I see your pins. They make me hungry, LOL!

39. Monica says:

These are indeed very gourmet. I imagine every bite packed with flavor.

41. Elizabeth says:

Mmm these sound lovely! A perfect little appetizer.

43. What a beautiful myth and such gorgeous mushrooms. My husband adores figs so I can’t wait to try these! Can’t wait to hear more beautiful stories, also!

As you know Katerina, my grand-daughter is fascinated with Greek Mythology. I can’t wait to share this wondrous post with her.

Unfortunately, she hasn’t acquired a taste for mushrooms yet but, I’m working on it, lol…in that instance, she doesn’t take after her grammy, lol…

Your presentation is beautifully executed in words and taste, Katerina. Thank you so much for sharing…

47. What a beautiful appetizer. I love that these are gluten free too.

49. Diane says:

I always enjoy your stories. Ancient Greek Mythology is so rich. These mushrooms look VERY gourmet indeed. They would make a beautiful party tray! Or side dish. Yum!

51. kushi says:

That looks so cute and sounds amazingly delicious! YUMMY!

53. I knew bits and pieces of Persephone story, so cool to read it all and see the season,s connection. And truly wow on the recipe, these look gorgeous. And cool dried fig sauce.

55. Super unusual…sounds so tasty!!

Oh, I love stuffed mushrooms! Your version looks fantastic–and would be great to serve guests!

59. We adore stuffed mushrooms and yours look absolutely delectable!

61. Tara says:

The perfect sweet/savory bite, love this recipe!!

63. wondering how fast I can get home to make these.

65. Oh my word these sound divine! Savory, sweet, creamy, just perfect! I haven’t heard of Anthotiro before, so I’ll be on the lookout for it. I suspect I’ll have to go with the ricotta that you suggested.

67. Catherine says:

Dear Katerina, I love the sweet and savory together…what a beautiful and flavorful dish my dear. This looks absolutely marvelous. xoxo, Catherine

69. από τις ωραιότερες προτάσεις σου είναι αυτή νομίζω!
    εξαιρετική! μπράβο!

71. NancyC says:

These look so good–the cheesy, creamy filling sounds wonderful!

73. Sweet and savory, it sounds amazing. Love learning about Greek mythology and now I’ve found a new Cheese to try. Great post and beautiful recipe.

75. These are my kind of tasty bites, I love fruit with cheese and I must find anthotiro cheese.

77. I know I’ve said this again and again, but you just have such wonderful posts with great stories … and amazing recipes, too! I just love all the flavors in these gorgeous mushrooms – so many layers of deliciousness with the creamy filling and the amazing sauce topping! Like tiny little bites of edible art!

79. I am not familiar with anthotiro but you have me intrigued!

81. Angela says:

Oh wow, these look really fantastic! A perfect combination of flavors. Very elegant!

83. ZazaCook says:

Beautiful and scrumptious!

85. What a beautiful story and those stuffed mushrooms look incredibly delish. And that fig sauce is just beyond yum! Lovely share! :)

87. marcela says:

WOW! I totally love your recipe! The mushrooms look fantastic! MOUTHWATERING and do fancy!! Thanks so much for sharing!

89. Some of those ancient gods were real characters! Always fun to learn more about them. And fun to have this dish, too. Who doesn’t love figs? Good stuff — thanks so much.

91. Εντυπωσιακό σε εμφάνιση και σίγουρα τέλειο γευστικά!!!

This is such a delicious appetizer, Katerina!!! I am truly salivating!!! Have a great day, XOXO

They look beautiful and must taste amazing! Great recipe, Katerina!

97. Pam says:

Great story, love your story telling. So much going on with it, Persephone’s attachment to her mother, connection to the earth, the change of seasons. I will be have to read more about her now. Your mushrooms sound delicious, the best!

Τελευταία έχω ανακαλύψει τα καλύτερα μανιτάρια της αγοράς, φρεσκοκομμένα.
    Θα δοκιμάσω τη συνταγή σου την επόμενη φορά.

101. mjskitchen says:

I’ve always considered figs a fruit of the gods. They are so good, fresh, dried and roasted. What a way to highlight their flavor and versatility! I’ve never seen anthotiro, so thanks for the substitutes! These mushrooms make Zeus proud! :)

103. glria says:

Really beauty and delicious Katerina!!

Persephone has always been one of my favorite names – but I’ve had friends point out that her story is so sad, they wouldn’t use the name for their daughters.

107. Sarah says:

Oh wow, this is literally making my stomach rumble so hard. You found my favorite flavors and put them all into one stunning appetizer!

109. You have me at that fig sauce! These stuffed mushrooms look heavenly.

111. Balvinder says:

Oh my gosh, the dried fig topping look so inviting!

113. Priya says:

Just came from market with fresh mushrooms… Bookmarked it

115. Absolutely awesome mythology my sweet friend. Killer recipe!! Pinning to save!!

you’ve somehow managed to make mushrooms look appealing to me! i think a lot of it has to do with that fig sauce–yum!

Dear Katerina, with your story-telling talent, I cannot imagine a teenager refusing to read Greek mythology (“Zeus was a notorious womaniser”… excellent!).
    Thank you for this beautiful story of the fig. Either I’ve never heard it or I forgot (if it was a part of mythology I read such a long time ago….).
    This is probably the most unusual mushroom dish I’ve ever seen! And so luscious-looking too! I would never ever think of combining sweet flavours with mushrooms, first of all, and especially with a fig! I love this idea and feel very tempted to try it. I must check if I have figs.
    I have a tiny question concerning anthotiro: is it slightly tangy or rather sweetish, like ricotta?

121. manu says:

Oh this idea is so delicious and the sauce looks yummy!
    Happy week