Vanilla Ice Cream with Vanilla Bean

Vanilla Ice Cream

Since spring has officially made its entrance and the weather has started to improve, ice creams have started to make their appearance. In Greece, apart from the usual night clubs, restaurants/tavernas and bars, there is another one category which is unique; cafeterias. You will certainly ask what is so unique about them. Well, apart from the obvious coffee and all the rest of the beverages that are served in there, their clients have the chance to enjoy a big range of sweets, ice creams or savory snacks. So, these places can practically serve from a light breakfast to a simple dinner.
Ice cream is an indispensable item in their menus and one can find a vast selection from simple vanilla and chocolate to more extravagant mastic, stracciatella or exotic fruits ones. Unlike Italians, Greeks do not have a steady consumption of ice cream throughout the year. During winter, although all dining places and cafeterias have ice creams in their menus, people prefer to have as a dessert more wintery sweets such as lava cakes, soufflés, syrupy Greek sweets, French pastries etc.

Vanilla Ice Cream
On the contrary, when weather starts to improve, ice cream starts to come first in our preferences and its consumption soars. I still remember when we were kids that we counted each and every ice cream we were consuming and we were competing with each other as to whom would eat the most. Did you have such thing where you lived?
Unfortunately, nowadays unless you know that a restaurant prepares its own ice cream, the majority of the ice creams that circulate are made with powdered milk and ingredients of ambiguous origins. I cannot avoid consuming such types of ice creams, neither can I deter my son from doing so. What I can do is trying to decrease the quantity of them. For this reason, when spring starts, I dust my ice cream maker and start making my own ice cream. Usually, I, first, make chocolate because both my son and I are big chocoholics and then I prepare also couple of fruity ones like strawberry or peach. Check this Vanilla, Almond Ice Cream or  this No Machine, No Eggs Chocolate Ice Cream or this Very Chocolate Ice Cream, Kid’s Friendly Edition or this Peach Sorbet for more ideas on ice creams.

Vanilla Ice Cream
Every year, I am trying a new recipe that either it is good and I add it in my recipe box or discard it. This year I made this delicious vanilla ice cream which was really good. I used a vanilla bean which made a huge difference in flavor and also the texture and the taste of this particular one were really extraordinary. I would say that this ice cream is of restaurant quality and of course it is homemade something that is priceless by itself. It was not as easy as the other recipes I have tried, but I can tell you it was certainly worth the added effort. I really recommend it as it took rave opinions by everyone who tried it.

Vanilla Ice Cream

Vanilla Ice Cream with Vanilla Bean

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ice Cream
  • 250ml / 8.5 fl. oz. full fat milk
  • A pinch of salt
  • 130 gr. / 4.5 oz. sugar
  • 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
  • 500 ml / 17 fl. oz. heavy cream
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp white rum
  1. In a pot heat the milk, salt, and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
  2. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and throw them into the milk.
  3. Then add the bean also to the milk.
  4. Remove from fire, and let it stand for half an hour for the vanilla to release its aromas.
  5. In a bowl, stir together the egg yolks.
  6. Remove the vanilla bean and bring the milk again on the stove and warm it.
  7. Temper the egg yolks by adding a few spoons of milk to the yolks while whisking to bring both batters at the same temperature.
  8. Pour the warmed yolks back into the milk in the pot.
  9. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heat-resistant spatula.
  10. When the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula remove from fire.
  11. In a separate bowl pour the heavy cream straight from the fridge.
  12. Use a strainer and strain the custard into the heavy cream.
  13. Add the rum and the vanilla extract, cover it and put it in the fridge for at least three hours or overnight even better.
  14. When the custard is completely cooled, pour it in your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
  15. Freeze for a few hours and there you have your ice cream ready to be consumed.
Recipe adapted with changes from David Lebovitz

Παγωτό Βανίλλια με Λοβό Βανίλλιας

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Παγωτό
  • 250 ml πλήρες γάλα
  • Μια πρέζα αλάτι
  • 130 γρ. ζάχαρη
  • 1 λοβό βανίλιας κομμένο στα δύο κατά μήκος
  • 500 ml κρέμα γάλακτος
  • 5 κρόκους αυγών
  • 1 κ.γ. εκχύλισμα βανίλιας
  • 2 κ.σ. λευκό ρούμι
  • Κρέμα βαλσαμική με γεύση φράουλα για το γαρνίρισμα
  1. Σε μια κατσαρόλα ζεσταίνετε το γάλα, το αλάτι και τη ζάχαρη έως ότου διαλυθεί η ζάχαρη.
  2. Ξύστε τους σπόρους από τον λοβό βανίλιας και ρίξτε τους στο γάλα.
  3. Στη συνέχεια, προσθέστε και τον λοβό επίσης στο γάλα.
  4. Αφαιρέστε από τη φωτιά και αφήστε το να σταθεί για μισή ώρα έτσι ώστε η βανίλια να απελευθερώσει όλα της τα αρώματα.
  5. Σε ένα μπολ, ανακατέψτε μαζί τους κρόκους των αυγών.
  6. Αφαιρέστε τον λοβό της βανίλιας και βάλτε το γάλα και πάλι στο μάτι της κουζίνας και ζεστάνετε.
  7. Προσθέστε μερικές κουταλιές γάλα στους κρόκους, ανακατεύοντας να φέρετε και τα δύο μίγματα στην ίδια θερμοκρασία.
  8. Ρίξτε τους κρόκους πίσω στο γάλα και ανακατέψτε.
  9. Μαγειρέψτε σε σιγανή φωτιά, ανακατεύοντας συνεχώς, ξύνοντας το κάτω μέρος με μια σπάτουλα.
  10. Όταν η κρέμα πήξει αρκετά ώστε να καλύπτει τη σπάτουλα αφαιρέστε από τη φωτιά.
  11. Σε ένα ξεχωριστό μπολ ρίξτε την κρέμα γάλακτος κατευθείαν από το ψυγείο.
  12. Περάστε από ένα σουρωτήρι την κρέμα και ρίξτε τη στην κρέμα γάλακτος ανακατεύοντας συνεχώς.
  13. Προσθέστε το ρούμι και το εκχύλισμα βανίλιας και ανακατέψτε.
  14. Καλύψτε την κρέμα και βάλτε τη στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον τρεις ώρες ή όλη νύχτα ακόμα καλύτερα.
  15. Όταν η κρέμα είναι εντελώς κρύα, ρίξτε τη στην παγωτομηχανή και ακολουθήστε τις οδηγίες του κατασκευαστή.
  16. Καταψύξτε για μερικές ώρες και είναι έτοιμη.
  17. Σερβίρετε είτε με σιρόπι είτε αν θέλετε κάτι διαφορετικό με κρέμα βαλσαμική με γεύση φράουλα.
Συνταγή προσαρμογή με αλλαγές από τον David Lebovitz

35 Responses to Vanilla Ice Cream with Vanilla Bean

1. Priya says:

The king of ice cream… No body can say NO to this… Lovely share

I love vanilla bean ice cream—and with all those yolks it must be rich and creamy!

This Ice Cream looks fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon!

7. Kelly says:

I was just given an ice cream maker and have been looking for recipes! Thank you so much!

9. I remember when I was a kid, restaurants served seasonal desserts. Things have certainly changed with time. Vanilla is an evergreen flavor I suppose and so versatile. Never goes out of fashion! Love the scoops drizzled with chocolate sauce.

11. Ilka says:

Real Vanilla Bean ice cream is just the Best! It’s a favorite in our house!

13. What a fabulous frozen treats!

15. Sandra says:

Nothing tastes better than fresh homemade ice cream! Vanilla is the best base to add your favorite flavor!

17. This looks very nice. I want to try to make ice cream again soon!

19. We do eat ice-cream year round here in New England, but we’ve never had any competitions, that I’m aware of :) Your vanilla ice-cream sounds fantastic, I bet the vanilla bean adds amazing flavor!

21. Nicky says:

We don’t eat much ice cream during colder months either. We have just started to get in the mood for ice cream again. This one would be great.

23. Τη βανίλια την αγαπώ πολύ για το υπέροχο άρωμα και τα χαρακτηριστικά της σποράκια.
    Το παγωτό σου φαίνεται να έχει φοβερή υφή Κατερίνα, πλούσια και αφράτη.
    Τώρα με έκανες να θέλω πολύ να φτιάξω παγωτό!
    Σε φιλώ

25. I’m in the middle of moving. When I packed up our house I came across an Ice cream maker that was a wedding gift 18 years ago. I guess it’s high time to make some Ice Cream. This looks like a great way to get started! :)

Your ice cream sounds terrific! I actually like vanilla ice cream because it’s simple enough that you can taste the quality. So happy this one worked out for you!

29. A vanilla ice cram without vanilla beans is crap, this is a great recipe. Love ice cream but for sure have a lot less in winter. Hurray for spring!

I have made so many different ice creams and frozen yogurt, but somehow have not made vanilla ice cream…thanks for the recipe Katerina, as this come just in time for the warm weather.
    Hope you are having a fabulous week :)

Sometimes the simplest ice cream flavors are the best! A real vanilla bean ice cream is the perfect blank canvas for any topping. Love it!

35. Oh how delicious your photo looks!! Your ice cream recipes are amazing! Bookmarked! :)

To παγωτό ειναι για όλες τις εποχές Κατερίνα μου.
    Και ιδίως αν είναι με λοβό βανίλιας. Τότε είναι υπέροχο. Αν και είμαι της σοκολάτας, αυτό το παγωτό το τρώω.
    Το οτι έβαλες κρέμα βαλσαμική με γεύση φράουλα το κάνει ακόμα πιο ωραίο.

Φιλιά πολλά

39. όπως το λες, αξία ανεκτίμητη το σπιτικό παγωτό! φαντάζομαι την μυρωδιά του.
    τέλειο!
    φιλιά πολλά Κατερίνα μου!

simple perfection! this is a classic treat that you’ve executed marvelously–the texture couldn’t look more appealing!

Your ice-cream looks particularly luscious! I don’t know if it’s telepathy, but after years of hesitation I ordered my very first ice-cream maker last Sunday! (And guess what! It’s also Krups! Amazing, isn’t it???). I am especially fond of sorbets, dark chocolate flavours and I love vanilla ice-cream too, but I find them, even at the best Italian ice-cream shops in my city, much too sweet for my taste, so I’m thrilled to use your recipe adding as much sugar as I like!

45. Katerina mou, believe it or not a good vanilla is one of my favorites! I love the addition of Rum in this recipe!! As always my sweet friend, killer recipe and above all, pics!! ♥

I love homemade ice cream, especially vanilla!!! It really looks creamy, Katerina, the vanilla pod makes it a special treat! Have a great week, XO

We aren’t into a full swing of ice cream season yet here, Katerina. Although, Marion does manage a bowl of ice cream each and every night, lol…She would do a dance if I made ice cream for her. I’ve never tried it before but man oh man, I must say, yours looks incredibly delicious!!!

Thanks for sharing, Katerina…

51. Beautiful photo, the ice cream is calling me. Homemade ice cream is always fun to make.

53. Your ice looks so inviting. Homemade ice cream is easier to make sometimes than running out to the store, and it tastes so much better homemade.

55. So creamy and irresistible!

57. Ωωωω παγωτακι!

59. Summer says:

This ice cream looks amazing, Katerina. Can’t wait to try it ♥

summerdaisy.net

61. This is one creamy and delicious vanilla icecream. I bet the added rum gives it a little boost. The weather in Hong kong is starting to break and it will be no time at all before the outside swimming pools are open and the heat wave is in full force and we wont be able to make your icecream fast enough.

Well that explains my aversion to ice cream in the winter. I must be Greek.

65. glria says:

Look amazing! Really I love Ice cream!!

67. While I like lots of different flavors of ice cream, my sweet father only wanted vanilla. I know he would have loved your version.

69. manu says:

Katerina, I love vanilla icecream it remind me summer time!!!
    Thanks for sharing.