Chocolate Avocado Mousse

Chocolate Avocado Mousse

Greece was among the last countries that learned about and started to consume chocolate. In 1841 and while Greece was having half the size of what it is today Pavlidis family opened a pastry shop in down town Athens. In there they were selling baklava, lokums and other traditional Greek sweets. The after the Turkish occupation newly born country and its high society are hungry for new desserts and flavors.

Spyros Pavlidis, the young member of Pavlidis family, printer in occupation decides to leave the country and travel around Europe to acquire new experiences and see more places. After a trip that will last ten whole years and visits to numerous cities of the continent he learns about chocolate and his production and decides to bring back to his country the mastering.

Chocolate Avocado Mousse

His first attempts to produce chocolate are made with a coffee mill and the first chocolate as a beverage appears in the Greek scene between 1852 and 1863. What is really amazing is the fact that he was so passionate about it that he managed to import cocoa beans from abroad in an era when no one here new what cocoa was. As business was growing rapidly Spyros Pavlidis invested in buying the first manual machine for the production of chocolate. In 1961 the first chocolate bar appears in the family’s store ready to steal the hearts of everyone.

His chocolate won the gold medal in Paris’ world competition and they will follow another 18 medals in the years to come all of them shown on the packaging of the chocolate.

Chocolate Avocado Mousse

Between 1871 and 1876 the production of chocolate becomes industrialized and the first steamed machine is imported and starts to work at full speed.

From then on the company continues to grow and produces apart from that first chocolate a big range of chocolate bars and sweets. In 1988 the company was bought by Jacobs Suchard and in 1991 Kraft acquires the majority of stocks continuing the production of chocolates of all kinds and enriching the product line with many other new products. (Source: Pavlidis)

Chocolate is an inseparable part of my diet and I know for many of my friends too. So, since many of them are fastening, I thought of trying to find a way to enjoy it even now. This Chocolate Mousse is so rich and packed with flavor you wouldn’t have guessed it is made not with heavy cream but with avocado. I loved every bite and I am sure everyone who loves chocolate will appreciate it.

Chocolate Avocado Mousse

Chocolate Avocado Mousse

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Dessert
  • 3 ripe avocados
  • ⅓ cup honey
  • 1 tsp stevia
  • 50 gr. / 2 oz. vegan chocolate
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp black rum
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2-3 drops of orange extract
  • Pinch of salt
  1. In your blender add everything and blend until you have a smooth cream.
  2. Place in individual bowls.
  3. Put in the fridge for at least two hours to chill.
  4. Remove and garnish with fresh fruits or orange grind.
Recipe inspired by the Kitchn

Μους Σοκολάτας με Αβοκάντο

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Επιδόρπιο
  • 3 ώριμα αβοκάντο
  • ⅓ φλ. μέλι
  • 1 κ.γ. Stevia
  • 50 γρ. Σοκολάτα υγείας
  • ½ φλ. κακάο σε σκόνη
  • 1 κ.σ. μαύρο ρούμι
  • 1 κ.γ. εκχύλισμα βανίλιας
  • 2-3 σταγόνες εκχύλισμα πορτοκαλιού
  • Μία πρέζα αλάτι
  1. Στο μπλέντερ σας προσθέστε τα πάντα και χτυπήστε μέχρι να έχετε μια απαλή κρέμα.
  2. Βάλτε τη σε ατομικά μπολάκια.
  3. Τοποθετήστε τα στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον δύο ώρες.
  4. Αφαιρέστε και γαρνίρετε με φρέσκα φρούτα ή φλούδα πορτοκαλιού.
Σημείωση: Τα αβοκάντο πρέπει να είναι πολύ ώριμα, δηλαδή όταν τα πιέζεις να είναι πολύ μαλακά. Συνήθως αυτά που πουλάνε τα σούπερ μάρκετ θέλουν γύρω στις 6 ημέρες για να φτάσουν σε αυτό το σημείο.
Έμπνευση από το the Kitchn

62 Responses to Chocolate Avocado Mousse

1. Diana Scholz says:

I’m not sure I’d ever think to put the avocado in this recipe (although I do love avocado in anything), so very intrigued to taste.

3. Jill Hanson says:

looks good, although I do not think I would make it. I would try it though if someone else did.

5. gale mccarron says:

This looks fabulous! What an interesting blend of flavors. Would love to try.

7. belinda bell says:

I would not have thought to use these together but they do looks yummy

9. Kathleen says:

Interesting combination of flavors!

11. Nettie Moore says:

I have to try this mousee! Yum! Nettie

As you might suspect in Switzerland chocolate is much more present in my life than elsewhere. Good quality chocolate (such small artisan shops are everywhere) is very expensive, so once we get used to it, we have to enjoy it rarely…. In short, I eat less sweets here than ever!
    Your mousse looks so gorgeous, I cannot believe it’s made with avocados!

15. I have been trying and tasting avocado desserts for the past months but I haven’t tried a chocolate mousse so far, that’s sounds yummy and very interesting! :-)

17. Elizabeth says:

Gosh this sounds amazing! I’ve never tried avocado mousse before but it’s definitely high on my list of recipes to try. Pinning for later!

19. This chocolate mousse looks super delicious and can be enjoyed guilt free.

21. Ranesha says:

Sounds amazing I am going to pin this recipe so I can try it late next week.

23. This looks amazing and your pictures are fantastic.

25. I love chocolate with avocado. This mousse looks so smooth and delicious.

27. Manila Spoon says:

I can only imagine just how creamy-licious this mousse is!

29. Kelly says:

I never would have thought to use avocado! I know they are full of good nutrients and fats. Definitely a great choice!!

I’ve done avocado frosting before. I could see how it could work as a mousse

33. This guilt free dessert sounds terrific..

35. I love chocolate mousse, this sounds wonderful using avocado.

37. This mousse looks so creamy and delicious, I love that it’s made with avocado, I need to give it a try!

39. I need to try this, I love chocolate desserts. I can imagine the avocado makes it so creamy.

41. Love this recipe, something so delicious made with something so healthy:-)

43. Erica S says:

I always enjoy reading your posts :-) and your dessert looks so creamy and decadent, love it!

45. This really looks delicious. I need to try this! How big are the avocados? We have so many sizes here it is hard to deduce.

47. Yum! I found a recipe a while back that was for a chocolate avocado smoothie. Being interested, I gave it a try, delish! Who knew that avocado and chocolate paired so well together!

49. I love all this Greek chocolate history!!! Truly amazing. Great and delicious mousse, chocolate pairs perfectly with avocado!

51. Jessica says:

This looks so delicious, and I love how the avocado adds lots of heart healthy fats! Yum!

53. Kallee says:

Looks divine and so creamy!

This is definitely worth trying! Avocado is so rich and smooth, I’m sure it would make a lovely ingredient in these chocolate puddings.

57. I have yet to try this avocado mousse, but I have always wanted too. Thanks for reminding me!

I had no idea that Greece was so late to the chocolate party Katerina. Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the Greek Chocolate story:)

As for your gorgeous Chocolate Avocado Mousse, all I can say is heavenly!!! I too have seen recipes for the combination but none have inspired me as much as your luscious presentation. Soooooo saving!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing, Katerina…

61. Oh how lovely!! :) This is common way of making (with a couple of exceptions) of making chocolate mousse in the low-carb world.

63. Hi Katerina, this would be a great contribution to Food on Friday: Birthday Food over at Carole’s Chatter. Please do bring it over to join in the Birthday fun. Cheers

65. What a beautiful presentation – your Chocolate Avocado Mousse looks so pretty, Katerina! It sounds really delicious too – love all the wholesome ingredients. I was interested to learn about chocolate coming to Greece too!

67. marcela says:

This is my chocolate dream…….

69. σαν ψεύτικη είναι!! δείχνει τέλεια!
    αυτό το αβοκάντο κάνει θαύματα!
    φιλιά Κατερινάκι!

71. Πόσο υπέροχη δείχνει η μους Κατερίνα!
    Έχω κολλήσει με τις φωτογραφίες σου!
    Φανταστική υφή και πολύ λαχταριστό αποτέλεσμα!
    Σε φιλώ

73. What a luscious looking dish! Fun way to use avocado. This looks sublime — thanks so much.

75. Angela says:

I cannot wait to give this a try. It looks and sounds absolutely perfect!

77. Now I can indulge in my beloved chocolate mousse healthfully…thank you my friend!

Κατερίνα τις μους τις λατρεύω.
    Με αβοκάντο δεν έχω φάει αν και όλο λεω να φτιάξω.
    Με την πρώτη ευκαιρία θα την δοκιμάσω.
    Φαίνεται πολύ ωραία πάντως.

Φιλιά πολλά

81. NancyC says:

This mousse looks wonderful–so smooth and creamy! I love that it’s healthy, too! :)

Such gorgeous mousse! And it’s practically guilt free—love that!!!

85. Tara says:

Great looking pictures and a wonderful looking chocolate mousse. It is one of my faves!!

87. Sarah says:

This looks absolutely delish! Love the little history lesson too :) Nerds unite!!

89. It looks just amazing, so creamy and delicious – what a lovely treat bonus points it’s healthy too!

Katerina, these look awesome, I heard a lot of making pudding with avocado, but never tried…now seeing your recipe, and how simple and healthy these are, I will definitely try…beautiful photos…
    Have a wonderful week :)

93. This is heavenly! I am pinning to try it soon!

95. I love the combo of avocado and chocolate. The mousse looks so very beautiful and tempting, Katerina.

Wonderful idea to use avocado instead of cream, Katerina. I love the creaminess of these and since avocado doesn’t have much flavor of its own it’s a great match with the chocolate.

99. Virginia says:

I’m excited to try this! Pinning.

101. Platter Talk says:

Mouthwatering, in every sense of the word!

103. What a great dessert – just gorgeous!

105. Kavey says:

The texture of that really looks spot on and I bet it tastes excellent!

107. Love that story. What a visionary he was! This mousse is gorgeous and I love the rum and orange extract in there. Trying this for sure.

It looks absolutely delicious, Katerina!!! I am truly salivating…Have a great week, XOXO

111. mjskitchen says:

Interesting history of Greece and chocolate. Did not know that it was one of the last countries to discover it.

Vegan chocolate mousse – that’s challenging, but looks like you did a fantastic job! I’ve heard of avocado being used with chocolate but I had no idea that it yielded such a creamy result. I’m not vegan but I have had to cut back on dairy so I need to give these a try! Thank goodness I haven’t had to give up chocolate. :)

113. Ilka says:

One of my favorite desserts!

115. Balvinder says:

Yum…. This looks magical, so smooth and shiny top.

I have heard about such a use of avocado, I am sure I will try it in the future.

119. manu says:

Chocolate and avocado is a combo I’ve never tested. I’ll give it a go.
    Thanks for sharing.

this looks absolutely luscious! i knew avocados were wonderful but i didn’t know they were THIS magical! glorious treat, katerina!

πάρα πολύ καλή ιδέα θα τη δοκιμάσω!!
    Καλή εβδομάδα.