Galaktoboureko Crumble

Galaktoboureko Crumble

Galaktoboureko came along with the Greek refugees from Asia Minor and thus has a great influence from the Middle Eastern sweets. It consists of phyllo sheets and in the middle a custard made from fine semolina. It is baked in the oven and it is then bathed in a thick syrup.
My maternal grandmother after my grandfather’s death came to stay with us. As I have told you before, she was suffering from dementia and the first signs of her illness appeared when she came to live with us. Before this awful disease took her brain away she was showing great love to her grandchildren. When I was in high school and was returning home disappointed from an exam or lesson and she saw me, she was saying to my mom: “Anastasia (my mom’s name) the child is sad, let’s make her a galaktoboureko to lift her mood a bit.” That was my grandmother; she thought she could fix a bad mood with a delicious dessert! And perhaps that was quite right. Sugar has a thing of making you see things in a more optimistic way. But the most important thing was that I felt the love and caring of her by gestures such as that one.

Galaktoboureko Crumble
So, galaktoboureko is a favorite sweet of mine not only because it is simply delicious, but also because it is filled with emotions, feelings, memories and events of my childhood. In a previous post I made the original recipe which has layers of phyllo and in between a custard cream made with semolina. On top it is drizzled with syrup made with sugar and honey.

Galaktoboureko Crumble
This time I wanted something simpler and since I know many of you are a bit hesitant to use phyllo, I thought of making galaktoboureko as simple as possible for anyone to try. I think my experiment was successful and I urge you to give this dessert a try. It is easy and so wonderfully rich and tasty.

Galaktoboureko Crumble
In place of phyllo I used corn flakes and instead of syrup I used sugar, cinnamon and honey. The result is an alternation of crunchy and chewy outside to a creamy, soft inside. I am definitely going to make this again, especially for a gathering or party, because it can be made the day before and just add the topping and bake it before serving it.

Galaktoboureko Crumble

Galaktoboureko Crumble

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Dessert
For the Bottom Crust
  • 150 gr. / 5 oz. corn flakes (crushed)
  • 150 gr. / 5 oz. sugar
  • 150 gr. / 5 oz. butter (melted)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
For the Cream
  • 800 ml / 27 fl oz. fresh milk
  • 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. sugar
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 50 gr. / 1.7 oz. fine semolina
  • 30 gr. / 1 oz. corn starch
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 40 gr. / 1.4 oz. butter
For the Topping
  • 90 gr. / 3 oz. corn flakes (broken barely with your hands)
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 50 gr. / 1.7 oz. sugar
  • 50 gr. / 1.7 oz. melted butter
For the Bottom Crust
  1. In a bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon.
  2. Add the corn flakes and mix.
  3. Pour the butter and mix until you will get a batter like a mud.
  4. Take a square pan 19cm X 19cm / 7.5 in X 7.5 in.
  5. Spread the corn flakes mixture to cover the bottom and the sides of the pan about 5 cm / 2 in. high.
  6. Put aside.
For the Cream
  1. In a pot pour the 700ml / 23.6 fl oz. of milk and 50 gr. / 1.7 oz. of sugar and put it in medium heat.
  2. Take a bowl and add the rest of the sugar the eggs, the rest of the milk, the semolina, the corn starch and the vanilla extract.
  3. Whisk to incorporate.
  4. When the milk starts to get hot, take couple of spoonfuls of it and pour it to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and whisk.
  5. In this way you bring both batters at the same temperature.
  6. Remove the pot from fire and pour the egg/semolina batter to it whisking continuously.
  7. Bring back to fire, add the butter and continue to whisk until it thickens.
  8. Remove from fire and pour it over the crust.
For the Topping
  1. Spread on top of the cream the barely crumbled corn flakes to cover the cream completely.
  2. Mix the sugar and the cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle it over the corn flakes.
  3. Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
  4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the topping takes a nice dark gold color.
  5. Take it out of the oven.
  6. Let cool completely and cut it in squares.
  7. You can serve it either as it is, or drizzle some honey and cinnamon on top or caster sugar and cinnamon.
Recipe for crust adapted from Easy Food Cookbook

Γαλακτομπούρεκο με Κορν Φλέικς

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Επιδόρπιο
Για τη Βάση
  • 150 γρ. Κορν φλέικς (θρυμματισμένα)
  • 150 γρ. ζάχαρη
  • 150 γρ. βούτυρο (λιωμένο)
  • 1 κ.γ. κανέλα
Για την Κρέμα
  • 800 ml φρέσκο γάλα
  • 100 γρ. ζάχαρη
  • 2 αυγά
  • 50 γρ. σιμιγδάλι ψιλό
  • 30 γρ. κορν φλάουρ
  • 1 κ.γ. εκχύλισμα βανίλιας, ή μία βανιλλίνη
  • 40 γρ. Βούτυρο
Για το Γαρνίρισμα
  • 90 γρ. Κορν φλέικς (το σπάτε χοντρά χοντρά με τα χέρια σας)
  • ½ κ.γ. κανέλα
  • 50 γρ. ζάχαρη
  • 50 γρ. λιωμένο βούτυρο
Για τη Βάση
  1. Σε ένα μπολ ανακατέψτε τη ζάχαρη και την κανέλα.
  2. Προσθέστε τα κορν φλέικς και ανακατέψτε.
  3. Ρίξτε το βούτυρο και αναμίξτε μέχρι να πάρετε ένα ομοιόμορφο μείγμα.
  4. Πάρτε ένα τετράγωνο ταψί 19 cm X 19 cm.
  5. Απλώστε το μίγμα κορν φλέικς να καλύψει το κάτω μέρος και τις πλευρές του ταψιού σε ύψος περίπου 5 cm.
  6. Βάλτε στην άκρη.
Για την Κρέμα
  1. Σε μια κατσαρόλα ρίξτε το 700ml γάλα και 50 γρ. ζάχαρη και βάλτε σε μέτρια φωτιά.
  2. Πάρτε ένα μπολ και προσθέστε την υπόλοιπη ζάχαρη, τα αυγά, το υπόλοιπο γάλα, το σιμιγδάλι, το κορν φλάουερ και το εκχύλισμα βανίλιας ή τη βανιλλίνη.
  3. Ανακατέψτε μέχρι να ενσωματωθούν.
  4. Όταν το γάλα αρχίζει να ζεσταίνεται, πάρτε μερικές κουταλιές από αυτό και ρίξτε τις στο μπολ με τα υπόλοιπα συστατικά και ανακατέψτε.
  5. Με αυτόν τον τρόπο φέρνουμε το μίγμα στο μπολ στην ίδια θερμοκρασία με το γάλα.
  6. Βγάλτε την κατσαρόλα από τη φωτιά και ρίξτε το μίγμα αυγού/σιμιγδαλιού ανακατεύοντας συνεχώς.
  7. Βάλτε πίσω στη φωτιά, προσθέστε το βούτυρο και συνεχίστε να ανακατεύετε μέχρι να πήξει.
  8. Βγάλτε από τη φωτιά και ρίξτε τη πάνω από τα κορν φλέικς.
Για το Γαρνίρισμα
  1. Απλώστε πάνω από την κρέμα χοντροκομμένα κορν φλέικς να τη σκεπάσουν πλήρως.
  2. Αναμίξτε τη ζάχαρη και την κανέλα σε ένα μπολ και πασπαλίστε τις πάνω από τα κορν φλέικς.
  3. Προθερμαίνετε το φούρνο στους 180° C.
  4. Ψήστε για 30 έως 35 λεπτά μέχρι να πάρει ένα ωραίο σκούρο χρυσό χρώμα.
  5. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο.
  6. Αφήστε να κρυώσει εντελώς και κόψτε το σε τετράγωνα κομμάτια.
  7. Τρώγεται το ίδιο καλά είτε ως έχει, ή ρίχνοντας λίγο μέλι και κανέλα στην κορυφή ή ζάχαρη άχνη και κανέλα.
Η συνταγή για τη βάση είναι προσαρμογή από το Easy Food Cookbook

40 Responses to Galaktoboureko Crumble

1. What an amazing grandmother! The story made me smile. I love your mother’s name.

I think I remember your traditional form of galaktoboureko and I remember I promised myself to make them… now I’ll have a dilemma because both this one and the previous version look equally delicious! This one is particularly original! Your grandmother was so right… but I’ll add that a delicious sweet treat made by a loving person improves the mood 100x better than the same product bought somewhere…

5. Nettie Moore says:

Reminds me of a delicious dessert my Italian grandmother used to make, looks wonderful! Nettie

7. This looks super delicious! Love the idea of using corn flakes in places of phyllo

this looks so good she sounds lovely and really sorry about the dementia thats hard

11. Erica (@Erica's Recipes) says:

I can see why your grandmother suggested this to lift your mood – this would lift my mood. This sounds so delicious – love that it has cornflakes! And that filling, looks amazing.

13. Wow, looks absolutely fabulous. Both crunchy and creamy, yum! :)

15. This looks so decadent ! You had me at phyllo already !

17. Perfect combo and sounds inviting..

19. Manila Spoon says:

The best recipes are the ones that remind you of wonderful memories! This looks scrumptious!

21. Corn flakes with honey and cinnamon is such a delicious combination.

23. This looks super yummy!

25. Simply gorgeous, this looks like it’s calling my name!

27. Elizabeth says:

This sounds amazing! I need this sweet in my life!

29. This dessert looks SO good, I could dig into a piece right now!

31. All the textures in this dessert look scrumptious! Recipes that remind me of family are so special :)

33. Diane says:

How sweet those good memories are. I remember your original version of this recipe with the phyllo dough. So elegant and lovely..and yes, intimidating for my skill level:) This recipe looks scrumptious and easy enough to make it a new family favorite!

35. Grandmother’s are right so often, especially about desserts. This looks awesome. Great that you can make it ahead. Perfect for parties.

37. I agree with your grandmother, a good dessert is definitely the cure for a bad mood, this galaktoboureko sounds wonderful!

Grandma’s recipes are the best! I have many wonderful recipes from my husband’s and my mother. Strangely enough, my mother-in-law started to have dementia after her husband died also. I wonder if there is a correlation? What a delicious dessert recipe to share from your dear grandmother, Katerina!

41. This looks super yummy, all creamy and delicious! And I love that it’s easy. What a fun substitution those cornflakes make.

43. Erlene says:

It’s funny how food can remind us of fond memories.Every time I have roast beef, I think of my grandmother and her awesome garlic roast beef sandwiches. This recipe looks simple enough for me to make and I would love to give this a try.

45. Such a really sweet story about your grandmother! And what comforting, delicious dessert – truly perfect for sharing with loved ones to let them know you care – just like your grandmother would have!

47. I love Greek cuisine (I had a Greek boyfriend for 3 years when I was a student, his step-father had a Greek restaurant and we went to Creta too), I didn’t know this dessert and it looks very original and yummy, will try it for sure :-)

a good dessert can certainly turn my day around, and this one is AWESOME! great textures, plenty of sweetness, and it’s a looker too!

51. Angie says:

Tears came to my eyes while reading about your grandmother. My dad passed away in November, and he had experienced a form of dementia. He lived with my brother and his family. He loved his grandchildren and loved to do things to make them happy like your grandmother did. Such a sweet story. Thank you for sharing this.
    I was attracted to your photo immediately – the recipe looks AMAZING!

53. Aww, what an awesome grandmother you had my sweet friend! I know you cherish her memory! I know she would be smiling if she saw this amazing version!! ♥

55. mjskitchen says:

Love your grandmother’s belief that a delicious dessert can cure a bad mood. Works for me. :) This is certainly a great dessert to start with. Very lovely!

57. Katerina that looks like such an amazing dessert and corn flakes is an great substitute!

59. Από τις φωτογραφίες και μόνο, καταλαβαίνω πόσο λαχταριστό είναι. Πολύ μου αρέσει αυτή η πιο απλοποιημένη εκδοχή. Όσο και να αγαπώ το συγκεκριμένο γλυκό, είναι δύσκολο να βρεθεί χρόνος για να το φτιάξω. Έτσι όμως μάλιστα!
    Μου αρέσει πολύ κ η επικάλυψη με κανέλα και μέλι!
    Σε φιλώ

61. manu says:

What a great dessert!! It seems to be so easy.
    Thanks for sharing

What an interesting and delicious twist to the original recipe!!! I absolutely adore galaktoboureko! Thanks for sharing, Katerina, have a great week, XOXO

65. Balvinder says:

Lovely! I am thinking to make this recipe by replacing semolina and barley with gluten free ingredients.

Oh my dear Katerina, I could just cry reading such a lovely memory. I think most grandmas believe they can bake all the troubles of the world away in a sweet and memorable treat. Indeed I agree:)

I can’t believe you adjusted this recipe so we may all try it without being intimated by the phyllo. Guilty! The cornflakes are genius!

I am saving this recipe with the hope of one day trying it. Thank you so much for sharing its story and a recipe…

I think I’m of the same mind as your grandmother. At least I know a slice of this would works wonders at cheering me up if I was down.

Nice modifications to the Classic recipe!

74. Totally tempting and delicious!

Πολύ δελεαστικό!!!
    Καλή εβδομάδα.

78. Your grandma is so sweet! If I had a grandma when I was growing up, I would have made a sad face just so that she would make me this extravagant dessert. Crispy and creamy and a drizzle of goodness on top, oh my this one is a winner.