Roasted Beets with Aromatized Feta Mousse

Roasted Beetroot with Aromatized Feta

From very early years ancient Greeks detected the benefits of certain vegetables and beets. They included them in their diet and in many cases even added to them divine dimensions. One of these was beetroot. People back then believed that Aphrodite the goddess of beauty and love owed much of her success to the consumption of beetroots. Ancient Greeks offered to god Apollo beetroots as a gesture of gratitude and loyalty. They used to cook its leaves with honey and wine and the bulbs were used as a medicine for headaches and toothaches. Nevertheless, it was Romans who first started cultivating this vegetable in a more systematic way.
Ancient Greeks also believed in its hematopoietic ability, something that today has been proved scientifically. In case of anemia, doctors suggest to drink beetroot juice. Beetroot is also a great detox for liver and helps this organ discard useless substances that accumulate in it.
Beets contain a coloring substance called beta-cyanine that protects human body from central nervous system diseases such as Alzheimer and dementia. The fibers they contain, help our intestine’s proper function and furthermore they can control high blood pressure and cholesterol. We can safely say that beetroot is like a rubber that erases all the bad consequences modern way of life causes to our bodies.

Roasted Beetroot with Aromatized Feta
I was feeling really inspirational this past weekend and I thought of making something a bit different from the ordinary. Usually, what I do is, boil the beets and eat them with Greek yogurt and garlic. This time, I thought of pairing them with a cheese instead of yogurt. And what cheese would be more ideal than feta?
Feta cheese can be traced back to the Byzantine Empire with the name prósphatos which means recent in English. The name feta was taken later and comes from the Italian word “fetta” which means slice. It is not known whether this name refers to the fact that we cut the cheese in slices to eat it or the producers slice it to put it in barrels. Since 2002, feta has been a protected designation of origin product in the European Union. That means that only cheese that has been made from ship’s milk or a combination of ship’s and goat’s milk cheese can be called feta cheese.

Roasted Beetroot with Aromatized Feta
After a bit of thinking, I decided that instead of boiling the beets I should try roasting them as I believe that the oven gives to vegetables a more profound flavor. Instead of using plain feta, I decided to thin it with heavy cream so that the taste would be milder. Also it helped me aromatize the cheese with scallion and several other greens that gave it a unique, delicious flavor. To counterbalance the acidity of the cheese, I went on and made a very simple sauce by diluting honey in water over very low heat merely to simmer. You can use this cheese, practically in all types of salad including Greek one. It goes with everything. The combination was a total success and we all loved it, especially my husband and I, since the little one is somewhat picky.
This is a delicious appetizer or salad and you can definitely use it to impress your guests or your family!

Roasted Beetroot with Aromatized Feta

Roasted Beets with Aromatized Feta Mousse

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer
Serves: 4
  • 6 bulbs of beets
For the Feta Mousse
  • 70 gr. / 2.5 oz. of feta cheese
  • 200 ml / 7 fl oz. heavy cream
  • 1 to 2 tbsp chopped scallion depending how intense you want it
  • 2 tbsp parsley
  • 6 leaves of fresh basil
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • Salt and pepper (be careful with the salt, start with just a pinch and if you see that it needs more, add pinch by pinch because feta is salty by its own)
For the Honey Sauce
  • 90 gr. / 3 oz. honey
  • 40 gr. / 1.5 oz. water
  1. You can make this appetizer even one day before and just assemble everything before serving.
For the Feta Cheese
  1. In your food processor add all the mousse ingredients and blend until a smooth batter is formed.
  2. You can either pour it in small molds or you can put it in a bowl and put it in the fridge.
For the Beetroots
  1. Take a parchment paper, put them in and seal it.
  2. Bake them in a preheated oven at 180°C / 350°F until when piercing with a fork is really easy.
  3. Remove, peel them and set aside.
For the Honey Sauce
  1. In a small pot add the honey and water and simmer until they are incorporated.
  2. Make sure that the temperature is no more than 40°C / 104°F otherwise the honey loses all its nutritional elements and becomes just a common sweetener.
Assembly
  1. Cut the beets in slices, salt and pepper them.
  2. Take the cheese out of the fridge and if you have it in molds, unmold it, or if you have it in a bigger bowl take a spoon and form small balls.
  3. Serve everything in a platter and pour the honey sauce on top of the cheese and the beets.

Παντζάρια Ψητά με Αρωματισμένη Μους Φέτας

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
Serves: 4
  • 6 βολβούς παντζαριού
Για την Μους Φέτας
  • 70 γρ. τυρί φέτα
  • 200 ml κρέμα γάλακτος light ή κανονική
  • 1 έως 2 κ.σ. ψιλοκομμένο κρεμμυδάκι, ανάλογα με το πόσο έντονο το θέλετε
  • 2 -3 κ.σ. μαϊντανό
  • 6 φυλλαράκια φρέσκο βασιλικό
  • ¼ κ.γ. σκόνη σκόρδου
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι (να είστε προσεκτικοί με το αλάτι, ξεκινήστε με μία πρέζα και αν δείτε ότι χρειάζεται να προσθέσετε περισσότερο βάλτε άλλη μία πρέζα, γιατί η φέτα είναι αλμυρή από μόνη της)
Για τη Σάλτσα Μελιού
  • 90 γρ. μέλι
  • 40 γρ. νερό
  1. Μπορείτε να κάνετε αυτό το ορεκτικό ακόμη και μία ημέρα πριν και να το ολοκληρώσετε λίγη ώρα πριν το σερβίρισμα.
Για την Μους Φέτας
  1. Στο μπλέντερ σας προσθέστε όλα τα υλικά της μους και ανακατέψτε μέχρι να ομογενοποιηθούν και να δημιουργηθεί μία απαλή κρέμα.
  2. Μπορείτε να τη μοιράσετε είτε σε μικρά καλούπια ή μπορείτε να τη βάλετε σε ένα μπολ και στο ψυγείο.
Για τα Παντζάρια
  1. Πάρτε μια λαδόκολλα, βάλτε τα μέσα και σφραγίστε τη.
  2. Ψήστε σε προθερμασμένο φούρνο στους 180° C μέχρι να μαλακώσουν τόσο ώστε καρφώνοντας τα με ένα πιρούνι να είναι εύκολο.
  3. Βγάλτε τα από το φούρνο, ξεφλουδίστε τα και βάλτε τα στην άκρη.
Για τη Σάλτσα Μελιού
  1. Σε μια μικρή κατσαρόλα προσθέστε το μέλι και το νερό και βάλτε τα σε πολύ χαμηλή φωτιά ίσα να ενσωματωθούν.
  2. Σιγουρευτείτε ότι η θερμοκρασία είναι όχι περισσότερο από 40° C αλλιώς το μέλι χάνει όλα τα θρεπτικά του στοιχεία και γίνεται μια κοινή γλυκαντική ουσία.
  3. Ολοκλήρωση
  4. Κόψτε τα παντζάρια σε φέτες και αλατοπιπερώστε.
  5. Βγάλτε το τυρί έξω από το ψυγείο και αν το έχετε σε καλούπια, ξεφορμάρετέ το, ή αν το έχετε σε ένα μεγαλύτερο μπολ με ένα κουτάλι σχηματίστε μικρές μπάλες.
  6. Τοποθετήστε τα όλα σε μία πιατέλα και ρίξτε από πάνω το μέλι.

60 Responses to Roasted Beets with Aromatized Feta Mousse

1. I love beets, they are so delicious so many ways – and your appetizer is just beautiful! What a lovely combination of flavours, Katerina. The feta mousse is incredible. I enjoyed reading your post as well – it was interesting to learn more about beets as well as about feta too!

3. Nicole says:

Such gorgeous presentation!! Looks really healthy too. Definitely trying this out.

We grow Beets in our garden and this is a perfect recipe to try. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!

7. swathi says:

Looks delicious love that feta mousse. thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

9. I’ve grown some beautiful beets in my garden but never really knew what to do with them. This looks pretty tasty! Anything with feta cheese is automatically a winner in my book. :-)

11. Lisa Sharp says:

I’ve never had beets but I love cheese and honey so maybe this is the perfect way for me to try them!

13. Erica (@Erica's Recipes) says:

I have only recently discovered that I love roasted beets! My mother gave us canned beets growing up, which were terrible. Fresh beets are entirely different. This looks gorgeous, I can’t wait to try this recipe.

15. Adele says:

Sounds delicious and your presentation is incredible!

17. What great information about beets AND feta cheese! I never knew all the benefits of beetroot. You are a fount of knowledge!!

Ooh, these beets sound amazing!
    Also, just wanted to let you know I posted a recipe using the wonderful wild thyme honey I got in your package. Thanks again for a great giveaway!

Gosh, I haven’t roasted beets in ages! Yours look fabulous—and paired with a feta mousse??? Loving this combination.

23. Am not a fan of beets but your dish makes me to try it out..

25. I just love your recipe for the Feta Mousse, a delicious compliment to the roasted beets – which are one of my favorites.

27. Sandra says:

I love beets and need to make them more often. I’ve never tried them with feta mousse! That sounds delicious!

29. I LOVE what you did with the cheese and roasting the beets was brilliant!

31. Stephanie says:

It is so pretty! We make something similar and it is delicious. I can’t wait to try your version. Thanks for sharing!

33. marcela says:

oh wow! it looks so healthy and fresh… totally love it!

35. LydiaF says:

Katerina this is a beautiful plate. I am a beet fan, I love the roots as well as the greens, especially when they’re young and tender. Wonderful combo with the feta and honey!

37. I love beets and enjoyed reading about all of their diverse benefits, this preparation of the roasted beets paired with feta sounds amazing!

39. Nicky says:

The color of beets adds a beautiful color to the plate. The flavor roasting gives them is wonderful. I prefer roasting to boiling because of it. I will often cube my beets and add feta and a drizzle of balsamic, but this looks really good. I’ve pinned it to try this the next time beets are available at the market.

And I was hesitating today in my organic shop over the basket of beetroots… I wish I had bought some! In Poland children usually hate two vegetables: beetroot and spinach, so for long years I didn’t like either. As a teenager I started to like both of course, but I think here I have just discovered the best way to enjoy this vegetable! Feta sounds like a perfect companion for beetroot, so thank you so much for sharing your recipe and the fascinating story, as always (and I definitely must roast it instead of boiling next time!)
    PS It’s amazing but I also eat beetroot in yogurt and garlic dressing! Nothing traditional… I don’t know how I had this idea.

43. Pin, tweet, su and yum (your buttons showed up for me today)
    Thank you for linking up at the Let’s Get Real Weekly Link Party.
    Please join us next week as well.

45. What a lovely dish. Love this combo!

Oh Katerina, what a wonderful and informative post. Beets are more versatile than many realize, especially me, lol…I remember someone telling once that vegetables reveal their benefits in their color. As for beets, I guess that means good for the blood.

I must say, I have never paired beets with any kind of cheese. I would love to try this recipe with Feta, Katerina although, I happen to have fresh home made yogurt “processing” on the counter. Maybe I’ll try them both!!!

Thank you so much for shedding the light on the benefits of beets and sharing this inspiring recipe, Katerina…

P.S. I don’t know whether you know or not but I had a difficult time getting over to your blog from your comment on my blog. It goes to your profile but when your blog is clicked in the profile the following link comes up. http://neocounter.neoworx-blog-tools.net Thank goodness I have your link in my sidebar. I think you may be able to change the link on your profile page. Thanks again, Katerina…

your feta mousse is awesome! what a unique complement to those beautiful beets. :)

51. I love roasted beets and this looks perfect. Beautiful presentation!

54. This is a beautiful dish. I love beets.

56. Elena says:

What an awesome dish! I love roasted beets!

58. What a beautiful dish, I love what you have done with the feta.

60. Platter Talk says:

Thanks for posting this recipe of two of our favorite foods: roasted beets and feta. Sheer heaven!

62. Heidy L McCallum says:

I love beets and feta…So I’m thinking together might be right up my alley!

64. Oh my this looks awesome! I can’t wait to try it. I think this will be perfect for one of our Tapas nights! Thanks for this beautiful recipe. Pinning!

66. this looks fabulous…I can’t wait to try it

68. Kristen says:

Man, I love roasted beets. These look awesome

70. Elizabeth says:

I am intrigued by this feta mousse! I need this in my life (once I stop calorie counting). What a gorgeous recipe!

72. Manila Spoon says:

What an awesome combination of flavors you have here! Yum!

74. I absolutely adore beets and don’t eat them near enough. Your recipe looks delicious!

76. Angela says:

This is a stunning recipe!! I love roasted beets and the feta mousse you paired it with sounds really wonderful.

78. Love roasted beets. Love feta. Win-win recipe here. I made a goat cheese souffle once, but your mousse sounds divine!!!!!

I’m so glad that I’ve always enjoyed eating beets knowing how healthy they are. The honey sauce and cheese are a delicious way to serve them!

82. There’s no better way to cook beets than roasting them. I love all the flavors you have included.

84. Tara says:

Beets are one of my faves!! I would have this gobbled down, looks amazing!!

86. We adore roasted beets and I can only imagine what an incredible pairing the feta mousse must be with them. Outstanding dish my friend!

90. I have never tried roasting beets! Now I have to try this! Thanks! Bookmarked!

92. kushi says:

This is innovative and ultimate combo :-) super delicious!

94. beets are so underused and roasting them is the best. Perfect pairing with the feta mousse.

97. πολύ ωραίο ορεκτικό! η μους φέτας φαίνεται νοστιμότατη!
    φιλιά!

Unusual recipe and we’d love it! Beets are a favorite around here….really like the idea of serving them with a cheese mousse.

101. A great appetizer, Katerina. I must give this feta mousse a try soon.

Absolutely delicious combination!!! Have a great week, Katerina, XOXO

I usually do beets with goat cheese, but feta sounds like a fantastic choice.

107. Balvinder says:

This sounds really interesting with feta mousse.
    Happy New Year Katrina!

109. I am with you on roasting the beets Katerina mou, they become so sweet that way!! I am loving the Feta Mousse. That was a food trend about 3 yrs back here in the US. They suddenly decided that feta is a killer cheese. We could of told them that!!
    Awesome recipe and pics as usual my sweet friend.

I amde your carrot & ginger soup. My daughter and I loved it, my husband ate it, but wanted more cream in it. Ugh, men!!
    Thank you for a delicious recipe!

111. Pam says:

It sounds delicious to me and I agree with roasting the beats. That’s a combo I would’ve never considered but have to try now. Interesting with the feta facts, that’s one good old cheese! :-)

113. Sues says:

Mmm this is my idea of perfection! My husband doesn’t like beets, but maybe this would help to convince him :)

I really like this recipe – must try it out