Calzone with Feta Spread and Tomato

Calzone with Feta

Once upon a time there was a very unhappy king. He was sitting all day long in his big throne filling unhappy and so miserable. His jesters were trying to make him smile and his court was trying to make him happy, but with no effect. Apart from the fact that he was unhappy, he didn’t have any appetite as well. The palace chefs were making the most beautiful, delicious, tasty meals in the world but in vain. The king was just looking at them and then ordered to take them away from him.

One day a very old, wise man appeared in the palace. When he found out about king’s condition, he asked him if he had any worries about his family or the people he ruled. The king replied that he had no worry in the world about anybody. He, then, asked if he was doing something tiring and the king replied that he was sitting all day long without doing anything that would make him tired. After all that, the old man suggested that the cause of his anorexia was the bread that was served in the palace. It was not sweet enough. He advised the king to order his chefs to make him the sweetest bread in the world. The chefs started a race as to who is going to prepare the sweetest bread of all adding sugar, honey and everything else that would make their breads really sweet. But all their efforts led nowhere.

Calzone with Feta

The king furious called the wise man again and he accused him of fooling him and threatened with a severe punishment if he couldn’t cure him. The wise man proposed to the king to follow him and do exactly as he would tell him, in order to be cured once and for all from his anorexia. The king accepted the challenge and followed him. The old man submitted the king to a three days labor. The first day the king had to harvest the wheat from the land all day long. The second day he threshed the wheat and put it in sacks. The third day the old man told him that he had to carry the sacks to the mill to make flour. At this point, I have to tell you that all these days both the king and the old man were unfed. By the third day, the king started feeling his stomach empty and hungry, but he didn’t say anything.

Calzone with Feta

When they returned from the mill the man put the king to make his own bread and placed it in the oven to be baked. Needless to say, that while the bread was baking, the king was on pins and needles waiting eagerly for the bread to get ready. When, finally, the bread was out of the oven, the king took a big bite and shouted that that was the sweetest bread he ever had. The old man told him that the sugar of that bread was his labor and it was sweet because he made it entirely on his own. The king left old man’s cottage taking with him a priceless lesson and from then on he completely changed his ruling. He became more interested in his subjects’ lives and worked really hard to make his kingdom a great place to live.

This is a fairytale based on a folklore story from the island of Kefallonia. My son had it as homework during the weekend for his Greek course. As I was baking these stuffed calzones, I couldn’t think of a more appropriate story to share with you and here it is. Needless to say that the calzones were out of this world delicious and they are so easy to make you won’t believe it.

Calzone with Feta

• 1 ½ tbsp. milk
  • ½ tsp oregano
  • 1 ½ tbsp. chopped chives
  • 1 ½ tsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 large or 2 small tomatoes, sliced
For the Calzones
  1. In your stand mixer put all the ingredients and mix in slow speed for 5 minutes.
  2. Increase speed to medium and mix for another 10 minutes.
  3. Oil a bowl and place the dough in there and let it rest for one hour.
  4. Put the dough in the fridge for at least three hours or overnight.
For the Feta Spread
  1. Mix everything in a bowl except the tomato.
  2. Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
  3. Take the dough out of the fridge and divide it into five or six balls depending how big you want your calzones.
  4. On your floured bench, with a rolling pin open each ball in a big circle.
  5. Add 3 spoonfuls of the spread and top it with two slices of tomato on one of the circle’s hemisphere that is closer to you.
  6. Cover it with the other hemisphere and seal the edges.
  7. Transfer to a baking pan covered with parchment paper.
  8. Bake for 10 minutes in 200°C and then reduce temperature to 175°C / 350°F and bake for another 20 minutes approximately.
  9. If you see the top getting darker cover with an aluminum foil until they are done.
  10. Remove, let it stay for 5 minutes and serve.
Note: I baked them in two batches. In the first I did as I tell here but in the second I left the oven burning at 175°C / 350°F during the entire baking time.
Recipe for the dough adapted from King Arthur Flour

• 1 ½ κ.σ. γάλα
  • ½ κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • 1 ½ κ.σ. ψιλοκομμένο σχοινόπρασο
  • 1 ½ κ.γ. φρέσκο βασιλικό, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 1 μεγάλη ή 2 μικρές ντομάτες, κομμένη σε φέτες
Για τα Καλτσόνε
  1. Στο μίξερ σας βάλτε όλα τα υλικά και ανακατέψτε σε χαμηλή ταχύτητα για 5 λεπτά.
  2. Αυξήστε την ταχύτητα στο μέσο και αναμείξτε για άλλα 10 λεπτά.
  3. Λαδώστε ένα μπολ και τοποθετήστε τη ζύμη εκεί και αφήστε τη να ξεκουραστεί για μία ώρα.
  4. Βάλτε τη ζύμη στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον τρεις ώρες ή όλο το βράδυ.
Για το Άλλειμα Φέτας
  1. Αναμείξτε τα πάντα σε ένα μπολ, εκτός από την ντομάτα.
  2. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
  3. Βγάλτε τη ζύμη από το ψυγείο και διαιρέστε τη σε πέντε ή έξι μπάλες ανάλογα με το πόσο μεγάλα θέλετε να είναι τα καλτσόνε.
  4. Σε αλευρωμένο πάγκο με τον πλάστη ανοίξτε κάθε μπάλα σε ένα μεγάλο κύκλο.
  5. Προσθέστε στο μισό μέρος της ζύμης 3 κουταλιές του αλλείματος και από πάνω δύο φέτες ντομάτας.
  6. Κλείστε με το υπόλοιπο μισό της ζύμης και σφραγίστε τα άκρα.
  7. Μεταφέρετε το σε ένα ταψί καλυμμένο με λαδόκολλα.
  8. Ψήστε για 10 λεπτά σε 200° C και στη συνέχεια μειώστε τη θερμοκρασία στους 175° C και ψήστε για άλλα 20 λεπτά περίπου.
  9. Εάν δείτε να παίρνει χρώμα πολύ γρήγορα, καλύψτε το πάνω μέρος με ένα αλουμινόχαρτο, μέχρι να γίνουν.
  10. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο, αφήστε το να μείνει για 5 λεπτά και σερβίρετε.
Σημείωση: Στη δεύτερη φουρνιά άφησα τη θερμοκρασία του φούρνου σταθερά στους 175 βαθμούς.
Συνταγή για τη ζύμη προσαρμογή από το King Arthur Flour

56 Responses to Calzone with Feta Spread and Tomato

1. What a fun and delicious way to serve a calzone! You are so creative my friend!

What a beautiful fairytale! It’s always such a pleasure to come back here and read your captivating posts. Needless to say, your calzone looks amazing.

5. This sounds amazing! We are going to have to try it soon for sure. Thanks so much for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party!

7. Always a great read and recipe! Thanks for sharing with us at #TryaBiteTuesday – tweeted & pinned to pass the word. Stop by again this week if you can – always enjoy your share!

9. I love calzones and your one is fantastic! Love the feta :)

11. What a gorgeous calzone…love the flavors you chose! And your story is just lovely!

13. Erica (@Erica's Recipes) says:

I love cazones but I never think to make them at home. Going to have to try your recipe! Looks delicious.

Your Calzone with Feta Spread and Tomato looks awesome and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

17. What a wonderful story – and so much meaning behind it too! Your Calzone with Feta Spread and Tomato looks wonderful, Katerina! It would be lovely for entertaining too!

19. These look and sound fantastic. Finn will love making these with me :)

21. Diane says:

Nummy I really want to learn how to make calzones. This recipe is getting pinned on my boards. Want to make this one for sure!

What a great story, Katerina! And the calzones look wonderful.

25. These look delicious…so much fun to eat with your hands.

27. This is a delicious calzone.

29. I love calzones and these sounds so good.

31. Manila Spoon says:

I love visiting your site Katerina, I always see something different and delicious that I wish to eat as I read your post! This calzone is certainly no exception! Yum!

33. These calzones look wonderful and I am thankful that I do not have to go out and do all the work that the king had to do to enjoy the bread!

35. Kristen says:

wow. I love this. goat cheese is my favorite!!!

37. Love the filling of this calzone, so yum..

39. Angela says:

What a wonderful looking and sounding recipe! Love that filling.

41. Delicious idea using feta and your dough looks lovely.

43. What a heart warming story to go with a heart warming recipe. These calzones sound amazing.

Great story and so wise and true! Your calzones look delicious, Katerina.

47. I think my kiddoes would love to make this with me.

49. Nicky says:

That is a great story. It’s true that the best food is the one you make with your own hands. It’s very fitting for the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

51. Karen says:

Wow, looks great, but I would have to find a gluten free flour, but the inside looks delicious.

53. These look so delicious Katerina!

55. Great story! We love calzones and these with the feta, herbs and tomatoes sound wonderful, I need to try it soon!

This calzone really sound and looks delicious Katerina, I like that you mixed feta and cream cheese…thanks for the inspiration.
    Have a wonderful weekend :)

Το ζυμαράκι φαίνεται πολύ ωραίο Κατερίνα.
    Και το άλειμμα φέτας .. νόστιμο πολύ!!

61. These look delicious. The combination of feta and cream cheese with oregano sounds delicious. YUMMMMY!

63. Jessica says:

I’ve never had feta in a calzone before, but I bet it’s delicious, especially with the fresh tomatoes!

65. Kallee says:

Such great flavors together. Delicious!

67. Sandra says:

I only order calzones out, but I really should make it at home! Yours looks delicious!

69. Love this idea. My wife would go crazy for this recipe.

71. Love the calzone dough and the fresh tomatoes – great touch.

your calzone dough looks amazing, and the filling is even better! i’m a true feta convert. :)

75. Kelly says:

I haven’t made a capstone in so long, and we love feta!! Thanks for the recipe. I think I’m going to add caramelized onions.

77. Κάτι τετοιο μου αρεσει να εχω για σνακ!!!

79. I’ve had calzones with ricotta but never with feta…I must give your version a try.

81. Oh, you had me going there…I thought it was a true story until I reached the end. :) Nice calzones…they are popular in South America.

83. I love that feta illing, which would be great to stuff some dinner rolls too.

85. Lisa says:

Love the story and it is so true. The harder you work..the sweeter the prize. Pin

87. Wow! This looks delicious and decadent! I love feta cheese and feta cheese spread sounds even more delicious!

I’ve never seen sauceless calzones, but I can definitely get behind them!

91. Pam says:

Great story! A great tasty sweet reward for doing a good job and to teach him what’s important! Your calzones look delicious! I love them but have never made them. You have inspired me now. Thanks for the recipe!

93. ZazaCook says:

What an easy and delicious dish! I am definitely going to try your recipe soon:) Thank you so much, Katerina, for sharing this fantastic recipe.

95. Πω πω Κατερίνα δείχνουν πραγματικά υπέροχα και πολύ λαχταριστά!
    Και το άλειμμα φέτας πόσο νόστιμο :)
    Και μου αρέσει που είναι τόσο πλούσια σε γέμιση!

97. GiGi Eats says:

You know what?! I don’t think I have ever had a CALZONE before in my life. However it’s totally similar to pizza… Just folding one in 1/2, right? ha!

What a super lunch for the kids when they’re here over the holidays! Won’t they be surprised?

Delicious Calzone, Katerina!!!Very tasty stuffing!I would gladly devour more than one…Have a great week, XOXO

What a marvelous calzone filling! These would be a hit with my family!!

105. What a great fairytale, reap the benefits of your labor. And what a treat this would be, portable delish recipe and I love fetal.

107. Allison says:

Oh yum! this is making me hungry!

109. Corina says:

I love the sound of the feta spread in these!

111. Αυτά είναι!!! Μπορώ να τρώω καλτσόνε όλη μέρα, κάθε μέρα!! χαχαχαχα