Lemon Mint and a Trip to Dubai

Lemon-Mint

Last week our company participated with a stand in the Paper Arabia 2015 Exhibition in Dubai and my husband and I went there to support our representative. Exhibition lasted three days and we stayed another two to explore the city.

Our company converts tissue paper into toilet paper, kitchen towel, napkins, facial tissue and handkerchief. We service the Greek market and we export to over 15 countries in Europe. Lately we started a cooperation with a chain of supermarkets in the Gulf and we went there to promote our company and see how the products we send there are placed and marketed.

dubai 1

It was quite a tiring trip, with the first three days completely consumed at the exhibition center and only late at night did we have the chance to go out and have a late dinner. Thankfully, everything went very well and I was very happy with the interest and feedback I received. After finishing with my duties, we had the chance to just go around Dubai and do some tourism.

dubai 2

Dubai before 1960’s was a dessert and people were living in homes as the one showed in the picture. It was during the 60’s that oil was discovered and from then on the lives of these people have changed dramatically. From desert cabins they became billionaires owning big houses, expensive cars and sky scrapers. Quite a change don’t you think?

dubai 3

Dubai is a very rich with luxurious restaurants and hotels city, but very expensive. I compared prices with Greece and they were truly much more expensive than here. Also, eating out is quite expensive, as in order to eat in a moderately good restaurant a salad, a main course and a beverage one pays about 50 euros/56 dollars per person, whereas here you can eat in a same establishment with about 30 euros/34 dollars.

Locals are the minority of the population being about 800.000, with the majority being people from India, who are about 60% of the total population. There is no taxation and the locals have everything free i.e. education, health care system etc. plus 10,000 euros/ 11,308 dollars per child per month as a subsidy from the Sheik. Not bad!!

Lemon-Mint

One of the main disadvantages of the city is its climate. While we were there temperature didn’t fall under 39°C/102°F and the humidity was crazy high. These made the conditions extremely hard for anyone who would want to walk around. That’s why they all take their walks in the malls were air condition is available. The city is full of skyscrapers and the only buildings that present an architectonic interest due to their Arabic style are the mosques . What I mean to say is that, according to my personal opinion, instead of all these high establishments which are not in their culture, I would prefer buildings that would be closer to the Arabic architecture have a local color and be closer to their mentality. Also, all this money spent in these enormous buildings could have been spent in creating green and oases something that would improve the microclimate of the area and perhaps bring some rain and coolness. All these air conditions and cars the only thing they are doing is to increase the temperature to even higher levels making it unbearable for more than 15 minutes. All in all is a very luxurious, exaggerated city, a great experience for me, but not quite my style.

Lemon-Mint

While there, I tried several kitchens as there is no local kitchen available apart from only one place in the city and unfortunately we didn’t have the time to go there. One of the things I really liked there was Lemon-Mint. It is basically a lemonade with mint inside, very refreshing and digestive after a filling meal. When I came back I tried to recreate it and it was a success. So here I am giving you photos from Dubai and two recipes for Lemon-Mint slightly different one from the other. The first makes a thicker juice while the second resembles more a common lemonade. You can choose whichever you want.

Lemon-Mint

Lemon Mint 1

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Smoothie
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: UAE
  • 2 lemons, cut in pieces with their skin on
  • 1 lt / 34 fl oz. of water
  • ½ cup syrup (1/2 cup water, ½ cup sugar)
  • 2 handfuls of mint
  1. In a pot add the sugar and water and boil just until the sugar melts.
  2. Remove transfer it to a glass vessel and place it in the fridge to cold.
  3. In your blender mix the lemon, water, and mint and blend until the mint has been chopped finely.
  4. Add the cold syrup and stir.
  5. Pass it through a strainer to take out all the little pieces.
  6. Put in the fridge until the time you are about to serve it.
  7. Serve it with ground ice.
If you want it sweeter increase the amount of water and sugar to 1 cup.
If you want stronger lemon flavor decrease the water by 1 cup.

Lemon Mint 2

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Smoothie
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: UAE
  • 150 ml / 5 fl oz. lemon juice
  • 350 ml / 12 fl oz. water
  • ½ cup syrup (1/2 cup water, ½ cup sugar)
  • 2 handfuls of mint
  1. In a pot add the sugar and water and boil just until the sugar melts.
  2. Remove transfer it to a glass vessel and place it in the fridge to cold.
  3. In your blender mix the lemon juice, water, and mint and blend until the mint has been chopped finely.
  4. Add the cold syrup and stir.
  5. Put in the fridge until the time you are about to serve it.
  6. Serve it with ground ice.

Λεμονάδα με Δυόσμο

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Χυμός
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Ηνωμένα Αραβικά Εμιράτα
  • 150 ml χυμό λεμονιού
  • 350 ml νερό
  • ½ φλιτζάνι σιρόπι (1/2 φλιτζάνι νερό, ½ φλιτζάνι ζάχαρη)
  • 2 χούφτες δυόσμο
  1. Σε μια κατσαρόλα προσθέστε τη ζάχαρη και το νερό και βράστε μόνο μέχρι να λιώσει η ζάχαρη.
  2. Βάλτε το σε ένα γυάλινο δοχείο και τοποθετήστε το στο ψυγείο να κρυώσει.
  3. Στο μπλέντερ σας ρίξτε το χυμό λεμονιού, το νερό, και το δυόσμο και ανακατέψτε μέχρι ο δυόσμος να γίνει μικρά κομματάκια.
  4. Ρίξτεε το κρύο σιρόπι και ανακατέψτε.
  5. Βάλτε στο ψυγείο μέχρι την ώρα που πρόκειται να το σερβίρετε.
  6. Σερβίρετε με τριμμένο πάγο.

Λεμονάδα με Δυόσμο

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Χυμός
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Ηνωμένα Αραβικά Εμιράτα
  • 2 λεμόνια με τη φλούδα τους ψιλοκομμένα
  • 1 λίτρο νερό
  • ½ φλιτζάνι σιρόπι (1/2 φλιτζάνι νερό, ½ φλιτζάνι ζάχαρη)
  • 2 χούφτες δυόσμο
  2. Βάλτε το σε ένα γυάλινο δοχείο και τοποθετήστε το στο ψυγείο να κρυώσει.
  3. Στο μπλέντερ σας ρίξτε το λεμόνι, το νερό, και το δυόσμο και ανακατέψτε μέχρι ο δυόσμος να γίνει μικρά κομματάκια.
  4. Ρίξτε το κρύο σιρόπι και ανακατέψτε.
  5. Περάστε το από ένα σουρωτήρι να φύγουν τα μικρά κομματάκια.
  6. Βάλτε στο ψυγείο μέχρι την ώρα που πρόκειται να το σερβίρετε.
  7. Σερβίρετε με τριμμένο πάγο.
Αν το θέλετε πιο γλυκό αυξήστε τη ζάχαρη και το νερό από ½ σε 1 φλυτζάνι.
Αν θέλετε πιο έντονη τη γεύση του λεμονιού μειώστε κατά ένα φλυτζάνι το νερό.

50 Responses to Lemon Mint and a Trip to Dubai

1. What a beautiful bowl of soup! You are making me hungry.

3. So interesting your experiences in Dubai. Thanks for sharing all the photos too! I tend to agree with everything you said. Greece is still a bit more expensive than Panama for eating out. A good steak dinner (i.e. great steak!) with buffet included and in a restaurant right on the ocean…$22.

5. Kristen says:

looks like you had an awesome trip! What a refreshing looking drink!

7. I’ve got a sore throat from my seasonal allergies—I wish i had this wonderful drink right now!

Your trip must have been an amazing experience, Katerina!!! Beautiful pictures and very refreshing drinks!I love mint in my lemonade :) Have a great week, XO

11. Elena says:

It looks like you had a wonderful trip! :) I live very close to Dubai and I have to agree…the climate is a big disadvantage!

13. Looks like you had a fantastic trip. I hope to visit there sometime. Refreshing drink.

15. This drink looks very refreshing. Looks like a wonderful time. My father in law worked in Dubai for many years. We never got a chance to visit him there.

17. Nice drink and super nice pictures of you. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Dubai, sounded fabulous!

19. What an incredible trip!! I’d love to go sometime.

21. Erica (@Erica's Recipes) says:

What a great post – the minted lemonade looks so refreshing and I enjoyed reading about your trip. Being from the US, I have never had opportunity to travel, so this was very interesting to read – thanks so much for sharing!

23. Thanks for sharing you experience in Dubai and love this refreshing drink too..

25. Dubai looks so pretty and the Lemon Mint looks very refreshing

27. What an amazing experience you had! And your lemon mint drink looks so pretty and refreshing!

29. Sounds like you had a fabulous, although exhausting, trip. I love the pictures and both of your versions of lemonade with mint.

31. Abigail says:

I have never been to Dubai so thank you for sharing your experience! I love this refreshing drink and may try it soon! Pinned.

33. What an incredible opportunity to experience a new culture. Sounds like it was a great trip.

35. This sounds so delicious and refreshing, I love mint drinks and can’t wait to give this a try!

Tiring, I’m sure, but what a great experience. Thanks for taking us along and sharing this refreshing drink.

39. Stephanie says:

Looks delicious! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! This post has been pinned on the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I love having you and can’t wait to see you next week!

41. Looks refreshing and amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic travel experiences with us!

43. Sandra says:

What a refreshing beverage and I’m assuming those pretty paper napkins and wraps are from your company! I would like the opportunity to visit Dubai as well. My husband has visited many times through his time in the military.

45. A great write-up on Dubai and it sounds like you needed this delicious drink to cool off. Lovely recipe.

Congratulations for the positive business outcome! The trip must have been very interesting indeed. Thank you for sharing your impressions with us. You confirm all what my friends have said about Dubai… but as a gourmet you have brought us this fantastic drink! It sounds delicious and I’m sure a splash of rhum would make it even better 😉

49. Kelly says:

I’d love to try this with honey. I have a lot of mint growing in my yard.

51. What an interesting post! And what a wonderfully refreshing beverage! Now, this may sound silly, but I also really loved the way you staged your photos of the recipe – as a fellow food blogger, I really appreciated the clever way you dressed up your glasses with pretty wraps! That’s such a great idea! 😀

53. Fun drink and a more fun trip.

55. Platter Talk says:

Thanks so much for sharing your travel experience with us; how wonderful for you to have that opportunity! I love the lemon-mint beverage as well; so fresh and invigorating!

57. Kallee says:

What a fun looking trip

59. This sounds so lovely and refreshing! Great experience! Thanks for linking up at this weeks #TryABiteTuesday Link Party! Hope to see you back next week!!

what an interesting post! this must be one of the most refreshing drinks ever–delicious!

63. Lovely and refreshing drink! Are these napkins some of the products from your company? They are beautiful. Dubai is toasty like HK summers…but in the desert… Glad you were able to sneak in a little fun with work.

What a wonderful experience for you and your husband! And what an amazing change in the lives of the people in Dubai. Great pictures! The lemon and mint tea would certainly be refreshing and delicious in that heat.

love this your impression of Dubai mirrors mine when we visited and I also felt the indian works were like modern day slaves

69. Both recipes sound lovely and refreshing. I’ve been to Dubai once in July. It was super hot. I’m never one to complain about the heat but I was even looking for malls to cool down in!

Definitely a yummy way to keep cool! Whoa, Dubai was sure hot! But it looks like you got to explore a bit. Love the photos of your trip—especially you and your husband :)

Fascinating post, Katerina. (Nice photos of you and your husband, too!) Had no idea the Indian population was so great there and truly enjoyed your photos.
    The mint drink looks very refreshing!

75. Μμμμ φαινεται πολύ δροσιστικο! Στην υγειά σου!
    Ευχομαι συντομα να σχεδιασεις το επόμενο ταξιδι σου!

77. I am so jealous of your trip! Looks incredible, life-changing even. And what an awesome refreshing drink!

79. Oh lucky you, even if there are some drawback to such a hot, expensive and modern city. I came close to going as I know someone who lives there. Always enriching to travel. Although more like 22 instead of 39, it is warm enough still hereto enjoy that wonderful lemonade!

I have heard some negative opinions about this city! I am surprized by the number of emigrants living there! I would not mind to get such a grant for government for a kid:) Here they give you literally nothing unless you are very very poor!
    nice to see you & your husband on the shots!:)

83. mia maria says:

Πολύ ωραίες φωτογραφίες!
    Χαίρομαι που πήγαν καλά οι δουλειές σας στο Ντουμπάι και που καταφέρατε να κάνετε και μίνι διακοπές!
    Το ποτάκι φαίνεται πολύ δροσιστικό!

Μπράβο Κατερίνα μου!
    Εύχομαι καλές δουλειές και εντός και εκτός Ελλάδος.
    Να είσαστε γεροί και δημιουργικοί.

Τώρα το Ντουμπάι ωραίο φαίνεται… κι έχει πολλά να δει κανείς.
    Συμφωνώ πως αυτά τα μεγάλα εξωπραγματικά κτιρια δεν ταιριάζουν εκεί, και μια πιο παραδοσιακή αρχιτεκτονική θα ήταν πιο σωστή.
    Θα ήθελα να πάω αλλά δυστυχώς η πολύ ζέστη και ο ηλιος δεν ενδείκνυται 😉

Το δροσερό ποτό πάντως θα το έπινα.
    Ωραίες φωτογραφίες (όλες)

Φιλιά πολλά

Your trip sounds tiring, but what a great cause!

89. Lovely photos of you and your husband…you look really fit! That’s a lovely drink!

91. Diane says:

Katerina, I admire you and your husband. Creating a company like you describe it is quite the undertaking. I’m so happy you shared your visit to Dubai. It’s a strange city. I learned a little more about it from you so it makes more sense to me. I love to see you prospering and happy. And I love your mint drink recipe. It looks so refreshing!

93. What a fun trip! And how wonderful to see pictures of you. Thanks for the recipe on the drink; it looks great! Yum!

95. What a wonderful trip I’m so happy that things went well for you. And I agree with you about the architecture. It seems as if every thing there is impersonal and has nothing to do with the local culture. I’ll have to try this lovely drink since I have a lemon farm and far too many lemons!

97. Tara says:

Looks like you had a wonderful time and I would have loved to have joined you in sipping this delicious drink!

99. What an awesome experience my friend! I love the photos of your amazing journey you shared with us!! *filakia polla kouklitsa mou*