Choco-Tahini Spread

Choco-tahini Spread

I know for many of you schools have already started and all kids are beginning slowly, slowly to adjust to their everyday routine. Here, schools start a bit later, on the 11th of September and our school, since it follows an international program, starts this coming Friday 4th of September. My son has decided to abandon the Greek system and follow an English-speaking school with a system that is close to the Anglo-Saxon one. To be honest, I am a little anxious on how he is going to manage this change, but I assume, since he wanted it so much, he will be able to cope with it and eventually adapt to having to learn everything in English.

Having studied in both systems, I know it is not easy to have to learn everything in a foreign language and it takes time and double the effort you have to put, so as to be able to keep up with the rest of the students. So, let’s hope that this whole venture will prove successful and he will be able to complete his high school studies in this system and consequently be able to continue his studies abroad.

Choco-tahini Spread

But before we arrive at his college years, when I will have to say goodbye to him and let him live by his own, I have to solve more urgent matters such as his break snack and his lunch. I am sure, I am not going to say something original here by mentioning that having to plan a child’s snacks and menus for every week is a pain in the neck really. Most of the times you are running out of ideas and even if you have some, they are scrutinized by the little one with unpredictable reactions. Thankfully, my son is quite easy going child and most of the times he eats what he sees when he opens his lunch box. I cannot begin to imagine how hard this is for a mother of a picky eater.

Choco-tahini Spread

I was a very picky eater when I was a child. I was eating a very narrow selection of food and at very small quantities. My mother says that when it came to food I was a nightmare. She tells me that by the time I became 5 years old, she had to paint the kitchen cupboards because they were discolored from the cleaning she had to do after I was throwing up my food. I feel so sorry for her, but hey look at me now! Not only have I changed my attitude towards food, but I became a food blogger. So, she must have done something right between all my vomits and now!

Anyway, going back to school meals and snacks, I think I have the perfect spread for those of you who believe that Nutella should be consumed in moderation and it is not the best thing in this world to be eaten every single day. This is a healthy substitute consisting of tahini, real chocolate, sesame oil, honey and butter or margarine depending which one you prefer to use. This is a totally healthy snack for your children and for you, with the beautiful flavor of tahini pairing perfectly with the chocolate. I loved every spoon and so did my son. Do give this a try and you can also use it as frosting just like I did in these brownies.

Choco-tahini Spread

Choco-Tahini Spread

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Breakfast, snack
  • 50 gr. / 1.7 oz. semi-sweet chocolate 50 to 60% cocoa
  • 150 gr. / 5 oz. tahini paste
  • 40 gr. 1.5 oz. sesame oil
  • 70 gr. / 2.5 oz. honey
  • 50 gr. / 1.7 oz. butter or margarine
  1. Melt chocolate in a glass bowl in microwave as follows.
  2. Place the pieces in the glass bowl and put for 30 seconds.
  3. Remove and mix.
  4. Repeat this procedure just until chocolate has melted completely.
  5. In another bowl mix tahini with the sesame oil.
  6. Add the honey and the melted chocolate and mix again to incorporate.
  7. Add the butter and mix well so there are no lumps.
  8. Put in a small vase in cool place and use it as a spread on toasted bread, or on waffles, pancakes, crepes etc.
  9. I made two vases.
  10. One was eaten in a week and the other one I kept it to see how much it lasts.
  11. This is the third week and it preserves just fine.
Recipe adapted from Stelios Parliaros

Άλειμμα Ταχινιού με Σοκολάτα

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Πρωινό, σνακ
  • 50 γρ. σοκολάτα κουβερτούρα 50 έως 60% κακάο
  • 150 γρ. ταχίνι
  • 40 γρ. σησαμέλαιο
  • 70 γρ. μέλι
  • 50 γρ. βούτυρο (μαργαρίνη για όσους νηστεύουν)
  1. Λιώστε την σοκολάτα σε ένα γυάλινο μπολ στο φούρνο μικροκυμάτων ως εξής.
  2. Τοποθετήστε τα κομμάτια στο γυάλινο μπολ και βάλτε τα για 30 δευτερόλεπτα.
  3. Αφαιρέστε και ανακατέψτε.
  4. Επαναλάβετε αυτή τη διαδικασία μέχρι η σοκολάτα να λιώσει εντελώς.
  5. Σε ένα άλλο μπολ ανακατέψτεε το ταχίνι με το σησαμέλαιο.
  6. Προσθέστε το μέλι και τη λιωμένη σοκολάτα και ανακατέψτε και πάλι να ενσωματωθούν.
  7. Προσθέστε το βούτυρο και ανακατέψτε καλά έτσι.
  8. Βάλτε σε ένα βαζάκι σε δροσερό μέρος.
  9. Έκανα δύο βάζα.
  10. Το ένα καταναλώθηκε σε μια εβδομάδα και το άλλο το κράτησα για να δω πόσο κρατάει.
  11. Αυτή είναι η τρίτη εβδομάδα και διατηρείται μια χαρά.
Συνταγή προσαρμογή από το Στέλιο Παρλιάρο

49 Responses to Choco-Tahini Spread

1. Winnie says:

This is something I NEED to try!
    Tehini is super popular here, but never with chocolate.
    It sounds fantastic
    Thanks for the recipe Katerina :) I’m saving it

3. Congrats to your son. And for this healthier alternative to nutella. What a yummy dip and topping sauce.

Your Choco Tahini Spread looks awesome, I can’t wait to try it. Hope you are having a great Labor Day weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!

7. Stephanie says:

YUM! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! This post has been pinned on the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I love having you and can’t wait to see you next week!

Good luck to your son in his new school, Katerina! If you son loves chocolate as much as I do, I’m sure he loved this. What a great idea!

11. Growing up, we had a little fun with Tahini adding it to molasses or honey for a sweet spread. Love your choco version.

13. I love the sound of this chocolate spread. I should try!

15. Gaaaaah sorry I meant COCOA, not coconut 😉

17. You are brilliant for combining sweet coconut with nutty/earthy tahini! I MUST try this!

19. This looks delicious, I bet the flavor combination is amazing!

22. Tara says:

That is such a great idea, looks like a magnificent spread!

24. Catherine says:

Dear Katerina, what a fabulous idea for tahini…I love the sound of this spread. I need to make it and always have a jar of it in the house. xo, Catherine

26. I do love Nutella, but don’t think it’s very “healthy” to eat often. Sometimes, fine, but I love this idea. All these healthy things all nuzzled up together in one jar. Yes, please!

28. Diane says:

I have my eye on this spread for my husband. He has a sweet tooth that needs some healthy food to satisfy it! He would love this spread, and so would I!

30. Kristen says:

I have never heard of a chocolate tahini spread. Sounds like something I would love!

32. Rebecca B. says:

I am sure that your son will adapt just fine :) This spread sounds amazing and will send him off to school on a good foot :)

34. I love the tahini “twist” you added to this spread Katerina, But best of all to know I can indulge in nutella healthfully has brought a big smile to my face!

36. ZazaCook says:

Your son will have a lot of success! He will become bilingual which is a very good thing! Bravo!!!
    This Choco-Tahini Spread looks terrific!

38. I am sure your son will adjust much faster than you think, a good move. And that is so funny how you were such a difficult and picky eater when younger. This healthier Nutella is just awesome Katerina, will try it for sure. great for adults too!

40. Abigail says:

I am so intrigued by the this and I can see how delicious it is! Thank you for sharing with us this healthy alternative to nutella – a must try for sure!

43. I love tahini, and I love chocolate, so I’m definitely going to give this a try! My daughter is allergic to all nuts, so nutella has not been an option for us, and I would love to have a new type of snack for her. I wish your son all the best in his schooling!

45. I just need a spoon for this, no brownies necessary! :)

47. Really cool addition with the chocolate.

49. This is my kind of spread, I love tahini and never thought of mixing it with chocolate. I have to try this.

51. I sooooo love that you used Tahini in this. Mind if I borrow it?

Ooooohhh boy does this look good! So sweet and nutty at the same time!

55. Regina says:

Good morning Katerina.

This spread looks so yummy and easy to make, definitely a recipe to keep and try.

Have a great day!

Καλό μήνα Κατερίνα μου

Αλλαξατε σχολείο?
    Αμα το ήθελε ο μικρός, αστον θα τα καταφέρει.
    Καλή αρχή εύχομαι :)

Πολύ ωραίο το άλειμμα.. Ταχίνι και κουβερτούρα, το πιο ωραιο.
    Εμενα τα δικά μου δεν το τρωνε το ταχίνο…Εμένα όμως μου αρέσει.

Φιλιά πολλά :)

59. mia maria says:

Καλή επιτυχία στο παιδί πρώτα από όλα! Πολύ ωραίο το spread, νόστιμο και υγιεινό!

this looks tasty all the best for your sons new school

63. Μου ειχαν δώσει παρομοιμο spread με ταχινι (σπιτικό) πριν δυο χρόνια και είχα ξετρελαθει!
    Δεν ειχα πάρει ομως την συνταγη 😉

Καλό μήνα!

I remember your sesame paste brownies! I haven’t tried them yet, but now that I see this spread I must test either of your delicious-looking sweet treats. What a fabulous healthy alternative to the famous spread I have never really liked and so many children go crazy about…

Une pâte à tartiner très gourmande. A tester absolument.

i love seeing applications for tahini other than hummus, and extra hoorays for one that even involves chocolate!!

This looks so decadent, i want such a jar!

73. peps says:

Πολύ μου αρέσει!!!!!!!!!
    Θα το φτιάξω!!!

75. GiGi Eats says:

I’ve never really worked with Tahini, other than eating it in some hummus recipes… And I know it’s friggin’ delicious, so I am totally on board with this!

77. LOL Your story is hilarious considering. Your poor Mom!! This looks something that I would enjoy!

79. Mari says:

Πολύ νόστιμο και υγιεινό, τι άλλο να θέλει κανείς; Εγώ προσωπικά τίποτα, κάτι τέτοιες παρασκευές είναι οι αγαπημένες μου!!
    Φιλιά πολλά!!

81. Nicky says:

We love Nutella and Tahini paste. I can’t wait to put the two together.

83. This is just like nutella! It must be very delicious made with sesame paste.

85. εξαιρετική πρόταση Κατερινάκι!!
    καλύτερη και πολύ πιο υγιεινή από τα έτοιμα προϊόντα!
    καλή αρχή και καλή τύχη στο παιδί!
    φιλιά πολλά!!

87. Suzanne says:

What a wonderful spread. I am sorry I have been absent for a while and have missed so many of your posts. This is a great alternative to nutella and it looks delicious.

What a yummy, healthier alternative to Nutella! I can totally see this as a brownie topping :) Best wishes to your son as he starts at his new school!!!

91. Eha says:

As a Medical School graduate and still studying nutrition 25 years later I am totally against the so-beloved Nutella with its 70% fat and sugar composition [Thank God some countries like Denmark are fighting the product!] . . . . love the sound of your very much healthier alternative . . . . I did my primary years of school in one language and then as a migrant girl had to change to English at the beginning of high school. Am quite certain your son will be absolutely fine with his very practical decision and some years down the track will have a wonderful baseline for his tertiary studies . . . all the best!!

Congratulations to you son, and good luck to him! We are taking my youngest daughter to university today.

95. Theodora Nan says:

Ότι πρέπει για τους λάτρεις του γλυκού πρωινού. Υγιεινό και πεντανόστιμο. // Great recipe for all sweet breakfast fans. Healthy and delicious.