Florina Pepper Tart

Pepper Tart

The city of Florina is situated in mountainous northwestern Macedonia, Greece. It lies in the central part of Florina district, of which it is the capital. Florina belongs to the region of West Macedonia. The town’s population is about 17,000 people according to the last census. It is located in a wooded valley about 13 km (8 mi) south of the international border of Greece with the FYROM. The city has been inhabited since 4th century BC and played a significant role in our modern history.
In this area a particular pepper is cultivated and it is named after the region’s name, Florina pepper. It has a deep red color, and is shaped like a cow’s horn. Initially, the pepper has a green color, ripening into red when matured. This pepper is known for its rich sweet flavor, used in various Greek dishes and is exported in various canned forms abroad, usually hand-stripped, keeping the natural scents of pepper and topped with extra virgin olive oil, salt and vinegar.

Pepper Tart
The seed for this particular pepper was brought to Greece in the 17th century, and cultivated successfully by the locals, adapting perfectly to the Macedonian climate and soil. Florina’s red peppers were awarded the recognition of Protected Designation of Origin in 1994 by the World Trade Organization (WTO). Every year during the last days of August, in a small local village in Aetos, Florina a feast of peppers is held, including celebrations with music bands and cooked recipes, based on peppers which are offered to all the guests. (Source: Wikipedia)

Pepper Tart
I saw these beautiful Florina peppers in the farmer’s market and I couldn’t hold myself from buying them. I didn’t want to make them the usual way, so I started thinking about making something a bit different than the same old stuff. Something cheesy, baked in the oven said my gut feeling would be just the perfect appetizer. I bought some graviera cheese which is similar to gruyere and some anthotiro cheese which is similar to ricotta and I improvised. The result was delicious and this is something I will definitely make again, especially if I am having friends over, because it can be prepared from the day before and baked the same day. If you can find the Greek cheese where you live, give them a try they are exquisite. If you cannot just substitute with the similar ones I am giving you. This tart can be eaten warm, but also it can be eaten at room temperature, so this makes it even more appropriate for a buffet. If you cannot find Florina peppers you can use red bell peppers.

Pepper Tart

Florina Pepper Tart

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer
Serves: 6
  • 8 Florina peppers or red bell peppers
  • 300 gr. / 10.5 oz. Greek yogurt full fat
  • 2 eggs
  • 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. graviera cheese or gruyere
  • 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. anthotiro cheese or ricotta
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • 2 tbsp chopped dill
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Pepper, if you want to make it a bit hot you can add cayenne or chili pepper
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp corn starch
  • 1 tsp sugar
  1. Clean the peppers and place them in a pan covered with parchment paper.
  2. Score them lengthwise from their one side with a knife.
  3. Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F.
  4. Place them in the oven and bake until they become soft about 30 minutes.
  5. Remove and let them cool down.
  6. In a bowl add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
  7. Take a squared deep pan 18cm X18cm / 7 in. X 7 in.
  8. Butter it well.
  9. Cut all peppers and open them.
  10. Remove their seeds as well.
  11. Take five of them and cover the bottom and half the height of the sides of the pan with them without leaving any space.
  12. Pour the yogurt/cheese batter and spread to create an even level.
  13. On top decorate with the rest of the peppers cut into strips.
  14. Bake in the same oven as before for about 30 minutes.
  15. Remove, let it cool a bit and serve.

Πιπερόταρτα

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
Serves: 6
  • 8 πιπεριές Φλωρίνης
  • 300 γρ. γιαούρτι πλήρες σε λιπαρά
  • 2 αυγά
  • 100 γρ. γραβιέρα
  • 100 γρ. ανθότυρο
  • 1 κρεμμύδι, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 2 κ.σ. ψιλοκομμένο άνηθο
  • 1 κ.γ. αλάτι
  • Πιπέρι, αν θέλετε να το κάνετε λίγο καυτό μπορείτε να προσθέσετε πιπέρι καγιέν ή τσίλι
  • 1 κ.σ. + 1 κ.γ. κόρν φλάουρ
  • 1 κ.γ. ζάχαρη
  1. Καθαρίστε τις πιπεριές και βάλτε τις σε ένα ταψί καλυμμένο με λαδόκολλα.
  2. Χαράξτε τις κατά μήκος από τη μία πλευρά τους με ένα μαχαίρι.
  3. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 175 ° C.
  4. Τοποθετήστε τις στο φούρνο και ψήστε μέχρι να μαλακώσουν περίπου 30 λεπτά.
  5. Αφαιρέστε και αφήστε τις να κρυώσουν.
  6. Σε ένα μπωλ βάλτε τα υπόλοιπα υλικά και ανακατέψτε.
  7. Πάρτε ένα τετράγωνο βαθύ ταψί 18 εκ. X 18εκ.
  8. Βουτυρώστε καλά.
  9. Κόψτε όλες τις πιπεριές και ανοίξτε τις.
  10. Αφαιρέστε τους σπόρους τους.
  11. Πάρτε πέντε από αυτές και καλύψτε το κάτω μέρος και το μισό του ύψους των πλευρών του ταψιού χωρίς να αφήσετε κενά.
  12. Ρίξτε το μίγμα γιαουρτιού / τυριού και απλώστε το ομοιόμορφα.
  13. Από πάνω βάλτε τις υπόλοιπες πιπεριές κομμένες σε λωρίδες.
  14. Ψήστε στον ίδιο φούρνο όπως και πριν για περίπου 30 λεπτά.
  15. Αφαιρέστε, αφήστε το να κρυώσει λίγο και σερβίρετε.

49 Responses to Florina Pepper Tart

1. This looks wonderful, i could definitely make a meal out of this!

3. I would never have thought to use peppers this way, it looks amazing and delicious.

looks tasty and what a long culinary history that area has

7. Love the idea of this dish! I need to try!

9. mjskitchen says:

It’s amazing how many different peppers there are in the world, and they all taste different. I’ve had some turkish peppers recently that were amazing. I would love to find some of these Florina peppers. What you’ve done with them here looks amazing. What a beautiful dish!

11. Stephanie says:

What a beautiful dish!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! This post has been pinned on the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I love having you and can’t wait to see you next week!

What a beautiful dish and would be very delicious. Hope you are having a fantastic day and we are so excited that you shared your post with Full Plate Thursday.
    Thanks so much and Come Back Soon!

15. Great recipe idea! And beautiful pictures!

17. Oh wow, this is so cheesy. I love it. A great way to use peppers too.

Your tart is absolutely gorgeous! I love the way you arranged the peppers.
    And I’ve told you before that I learn something every time I read your blog. I didn’t know the acronym FYROM, although I knew a little of the history over the dispute. Thanks for this post.

21. Stunning and different! Great job Katerina..

23. marcela says:

OMG! This tart looks delicious! A tart that’s carb free! ILOVE IT!

25. Balvinder says:

This looks so tasty and pretty!

27. What a stunning tart Katerina! As pleasing to the eye as it will be to my tummy! Great job my friend!

29. What a beautiful pepper recipe…so colorful too.

31. What a beautiful tart, Katerina! I love the peppers and I really enjoyed learning more about them too. They look more delicious than the red peppers we buy in the stores here that is for sure!

33. What a great idea this is!

Ta tarte est très originale et certainement délicieuse.
    Bravo!!!!

I wish we got those peppers here! This sounds so tasty!

39. Nettie Moore says:

This tart looks extremely delicious! Nettie

41. Your recipes always make me hungry! This looks so good!

this is such a work of art! if it tastes even half as good as it looks, it’s one of the most delicious tarts in the world. lovely!

45. I love love love peppers, and the creamy component is spot on. Delicious!

47. Elena says:

This tart is so beautiful!

So beautiful! The lattice of peppers is such a lovely touch. And your filling sounds amazing!

51. Αγαπημένες οι πιπεριες φλωρινης… τι ομορφα που τις έχεις στρώσει!

beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

53. This looks amazing. I am not sure I can get those peppers around my area, but I will look.

55. What a beautiful looking tart that would be great for entertaining! I have bookmarked this to make for my next party!

57. Diane says:

I’m so excited to see this recipe! We have fresh peppers coming ripe that are very similar in looks to the Florina pepper. I definitely want to try this recipe with ingredients I can find locally, here in the U.S.. It is so pretty and delicious!

59. gloria says:

This look absolutely beautiful Katerina!
    A beauty dish!

61. nipponnin says:

Such a elegant dish! So lovely presentation and love the appetizing colors!

63. Abigail says:

How cheesy-licious is this tart and those vibrant and flavorful peppers – wow! My taste buds will love this for sure!

Beautiful Greek recipe, Katerina! I know I’d love all of the flavors and it’s so pretty to look at too.

67. This pepper tart is heavenly! I had never thought of putting Greek Yogurt and bell peppers in a tart

69. Tara says:

This is amazing looking, kudos on this very different and delicious recipe!!

71. LydiaF says:

What a beautiful thing! I’ll bet the filling would be great inside roasted peppers as well.

73. Beautiful presentation and very tasty tart.

75. This is just stunning! Love the pattern the peppers make on the top. It looks absolutely delicious too.

77. This looks so amazing, Katerina. I would devour the whole tart!!!

That does look good, Katerina. And a pretty presentation with the peppers in lattice form on top. Might be fun to take to a pot luck…or even serve as a first course.

81. φοβερό timing! εγώ γράφω στην δική σου κι εσύ στη δική μου ανάρτηση!! :)
    πολύ ωραία συνταγή κατερινάκι!! θα τη δοκιμάσω σίγουρα!
    Χ

I would love to try a bit for my lunch:)

85. Eha says:

Am usually not a baker and may have to substitute for gruyere and ricotta but this looks and sounds so moreish! Have a gf with a Macedonian husband . . . guess what next!!

87. I’ve grown these wonderful sweet peppers before and can attest to how good they are. Your pepper tart sounds absolutely delicious.

So beautiful. You have created a great recipe! Add a salad and you have a perfect summer meal.

91. mila furman says:

Oh wow! This looks so incredible! And so easy right!!! Just gorgeous! A tart that’s carb free! Now that’s a hit!

93. Oh wow just a gorgeous dish, love the Florina pepper with new cheese (to me), wish I could have a bite trough the screen.

Πάρα πολύ καλό, οι πιπεριές έχουν μια νοστιμιά τώρα και με τα τυριά δένουν υπέροχα.
    Καλή εβδομάδα.

97. What a beautiful recipe Katerina! I will be making this for my family, and showing this recipe some foodie love!!