Vanilla, Almond Ice Cream Topped with Caramel Sauce

Vanilla Ice Cream

Η συνταγή και στα ελληνικά στο τέλος της ανάρτησης.

Odysseus, one of the most brave and clever Greek leaders of the Trojan war, after 10 years of fighting, he left Troy to return to his country, the Greek island of Ithaca. After facing many dangerous adventures, he and his men arrived at an unknown island. What they didn’t know was that, this island was inhabited by Cyclops. Cyclops were giants with only one eye in the middle of their forehead. This race was brutal, with absolutely no culture and they were also man eaters.

As they were wondering around, they found a cave. In there, there was enough food and drink for everyone, so they helped themselves and after that they fell asleep. That cave was the home of Polyphemus one of the Cyclops. Polyphemus was the son of god Poseidon and the sea nymph Thoosa. After some time, Polyphemus, leading his flock of giant sheep, returned to his cave. He led the flock in the cave and rolled an enormous stone against the mouth of the cave and closed the entrance.

Vanilla Ice Cream

When he realized the existence of intruders, he became enraged. He, then, grabbed two of Odysseus’ men and ate them. Odysseus realized that he couldn’t do anything at that point, otherwise they were all doomed to be eaten by the monster. Polyphemus ate and drank milk from his giant sheep and fell asleep. Next morning, Polyphemus woke up and along with his milk ate two of Odysseus’ men. He, then, led his flock out of the cave, closed the entrance and left them alone. Odysseus started making a plan. He ordered his men to take a large timber and sharpen it, creating a very sharp point. They then hid the timber away from plain view.

When Polyphemus returned he followed the same ritual as the previous day and he grabbed two men and ate them. Odysseus spoke for the first time to the giant and he offered him a very strong wine he had brought with him. Cyclops, who had never had wine before, became completely drunk. Polyphemus asked Odysseus name. He replied that his name was “No Man”. Polyphemus said to Odysseus that as a gift for giving him to drink this wine thing, he would eat him last and then he immediately fell into a deep sleep.

Vanilla Ice Cream

Odysseus lost no time. He and his men took out the timber and heated the sharpened end in the fire until it glowed red.  Then putting all their strength, they pushed the red point into the eye of Polyphemus. The Cyclops woke up with a shout that created an earthquake. He was blind, he couldn’t see anything. The other Cyclops came to see what has happened, but he was crying that “no Man” has done it. The other Cyclops then left thinking that Polyphemus got crazy. Polyphemus had to take out his flock, so he thought that along with the sheep, the intruders would go out too and then he would be able to catch them. But Odysseus has thought about that and he tied every man to a sheep’s belly. That’s how all men got out of the cave without Polyphemus realizing that under each sheep there was a man hiding. Odysseus and his men ran back to their ship. As they sailed away from the harbor, Odysseus called out to Polyphemus, laughing at him and telling him that it was not “No Man”, but he, Odysseus, who had blinded him and fooled him.

Vanilla Ice Cream

Drinking milk in ancient Greece was considered barbaric custom and they only used it to make cheese. That’s why Polyphemus is presented drinking milk. It was only after World War 1, that milk consumption has started to climb and people begun consuming milk on a daily basis.

This ice cream is so easy, it is a joke and its taste is out of this world. The caramel sauce on top only enhances the tasty result and my two men devoured it so quickly that for a moment I thought they would devour me just like Cyclops Polyphemus lol!

Vanilla Ice Cream

Vanilla, Almond Ice Cream Topped with Caramel Sauce

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Dessert, Ice Cream
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: International
For the Vanilla Ice Cream
  • 1 can 397 gr. / 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups cold heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp white rum or any alcohol you want to keep the ice cream from becoming too tough
  • 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. roasted almonds, crushed in big chunks
For the Caramel Sauce
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup heavy cream
For the Vanilla Ice Cream
  1. In your mixer bowl beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
  2. Add the condensed milk, the vanilla extract, the alcohol and the almonds and fold gently.
  3. Place in a glass or stainless steel container and freeze for at least three hours.
For the Caramel Cream
  1. In a deep pot, in medium heat, put the sugar and water.
  2. Do not whisk, just swirl the pot.
  3. Just let it boil until it becomes medium amber.
  4. Take it off the heat and very carefully add the heavy cream whisking continuously.
  5. Put aside and let it cool.
  6. Serve the ice cream dollops with caramel cream on top.

Παγωτό Βανίλια με Αμύγδαλα και Σάλτσα Καραμέλας

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Επιδόρπιο, Παγωτό
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Διεθνής
Για το Παγωτό Βανίλια
  • 1 κουτί 397 γρ. ζαχαρούχο γάλα
  • 2 κ.γ. εκχύλισμα βανίλιας
  • 2 φλ. Κρέμα γάλακτος 35% λιπαρά
  • 2 κ.σ. λευκό ρούμι για να διατηρήθεί το παγωτό μαλακό
  • 100 γρ. ψημένα αμύγδαλα, κομμένα στο multi σε κομματάκια
Για τη Σάλτσα Καραμέλας
  • 1 φλ. ζάχαρη
  • ½ φλ. νερό
  • ½ φλ. κρέμα γάλακτος
Για το Παγωτό Βανίλια
  1. Στο μίξερ σας χτυπήστε την κρέμα γάλακτος σε σαντιγύ.
  2. Προσθέστε το ζαχαρούχο, το εκχύλισμα βανίλιας, το ρούμι και τα αμύγδαλα και ανακατέψτε απαλά.
  3. Τοποθετήστε σε ένα γυάλινο ή ανοξείδωτο δοχείο και παγώστε το για τουλάχιστον τρεις ώρες.
Για την Σάλτσα Καραμέλας
  1. Σε μια βαθιά κατσαρόλα, σε μέτρια φωτιά, βάλτε τη ζάχαρη και το νερό.
  2. Μην ανακατέψετε, απλά κουνήστε λίγο την κατσαρόλα να διαλυθεί η ζάχαρη.
  3. Αφήστε να βράσει μέχρι να πάρει ένα βαθύ κεχριμπαρένιο χρώμα.
  4. Βγάλτε από τη φωτιά και ρίξτε προσεκτικά, λίγο λίγο την κρέμα γάλακτος ανακατεύοντας συνέχεια.
  5. Βάλτε στην άκρη και αφήστε το να κρυώσει.
  6. Σερβίρετε μπάλες παγωτού με καραμέλα στην κορυφή.

45 Responses to Vanilla, Almond Ice Cream Topped with Caramel Sauce

1. Winnie says:

O M G !!
    It’s a mouth-watering ice cream
    And so easy to make :)
    Pinning

3. mjskitchen says:

It’s going to be in the high 90s by the end of the week so ice cream weather is here! This is the perfect bowl! Love ice cream made with condensed milk and that chunks of almonds in every bite sounds fabulous. And what can one say about the caramel sauce other than “total decadence”!

5. Stephanie says:

YUM! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

7. This looks great! I love that your ice cream recipe doesn’t need a machine too. I can’t wait to make this! Thanks

9. Greatest comfort food recipe ever!

11. I love homemade ice cream so much and I also use a little booze to keep it scoopable- people think I’m crazy when I tell them!Looks delicious!

13. Oh my word. This looks AMAZING. So decadent!

15. Nettie Moore says:

This looks fantastic! Nettie

17. Nettie says:

Such a perfect dessert! Nettie

19. Tara says:

I will take caramel over chocolate, just love it and your picutres are making me drool.

21. I always love reading your posts, Katerina. Your ice cream looks fantastic and so simple to make.

What an irresistible sundae! Looks like a perfect dessert to me :)

25. Μμμμ η γλυκια λιχουδια του Σαββατοκύριακου 😉

27. Even though it is winter here Katerina, your recipe and photo makes me want to dive right in! Pinned and shared!

29. Diane says:

Love this story! And the recipe. I recently began making my own ice cream at home. So luscious! This recipe is different than any I have seen. Will need to give it a try!

31. Thank goodness you made enough or I am sure your two men would have offered you some special wine! ;=) Love Greek mythology!

33. Ice-cream is my absolute favorite dessert, this preparation with the caramel sauce sounds like heaven!

35. Abigail says:

This ice cream is calling my name! Looks luscious!

37. Love the blog – LOVE the recipe, awesome!!!

39. LydiaF says:

That ice cream does sound really simple. I’ll have to give your method a try :)

41. There’s nothing better than an ice cream dessert and I love that it can be topped with so many things. I want to try your caramel sauce soon.

43. Christina says:

Wow, this looks great. I think I will try it.

45. laurie says:

This looks incredible!Can’t wait to try it!

Your dessert sounds fantastic, and so easy!

49. Oh that looks wonderful – phew! Now I’d love some ice cream!

Awesome recipe Katerina, so simple…and I absolutely like the addition of the almonds in it…thanks for the recipe my dear!
    Have a great day :)

53. Catherine says:

Dear Katerina, what a beautiful summer dessert. This sounds wonderful. xo, Catherine

55. This looks over-the-top delicious!

57. christine says:

It’s way too early in the morning for me to want to go make ice cream…..but this one is so tempting!!!

You’re making me wish I was having this ice cream for breakfast now!

61. I always love the lore of Greece as you tell it and the dessert looks scrumptious Katerina.

What a gorgeous ice-cream bowl and it seems so easy indeed! No ice-cream machine? This is something for me! Thank you so much, Katerina for tempting us with such delicacies.

Another wonderful Greek tale and one with which I am familiar. Can you imagine what the ancient Greeks would think of ice cream? What a delightful flavor and the caramel sauce is luscious.

J’adore ta glace. Elle doit être délicieuse.

this is a truly wonderful combination of flavors! the sauce is the perfect finishing touch. :)

71. Hadia says:

Heavenly delicious, Katerina! Just need a spoon to dig in this pretty ice cream bowl!Pinning!

73. Το συγκεκριμένο παγωτό με την κρέμα γάλακτος και το ζαχαρούχο γάλα είναι από τα πιο εύκολα και νόστιμα παγωτάκια!
    Αφράτο, επιδέχεται πολλές παραλλαγές και δεν απαιτεί παγωτομηχανή!
    Ωραία η παραλλαγή με τα αμύγδαλα και την καραμελένια σος, πρέπει να έχει πολύ φίνα γεύση!

75. φαίνεται πολύ λαχταριστό στις φωτογραφίες!
    και είναι και πολύ εύκολο!
    πολύ ωραία πρόταση Κατερινάκι! Χ

77. marcela says:

no way! seriously?! These are the best home-made ice cream I’ve ever seen… I love the recipe!

Vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce….my favorite! I’m also a convert on using condensed milk in an ice cream recipe. This looks delicious and decadent, Katerina!

would love to share this with my kids

See, I had a hard time with the Iliad, but I LOVE the Odyssey!

85. I would be in heaven, I just need a spoon and I am good to go. So you don’t even need to churn it and it turns out this awesome and no egg? Sounds like a winner! Sharing and pinning, of course!

87. Sues says:

Mmmm that caramel! And this does look super easy!

89. Creamy and crunchy at the same time..my sort of ice cream!