French Profiteroles with Mastic Cream Filling

Mastic Profiteroles 4a

Η συνταγή και στα ελληνικά στο τέλος της ανάρτησης.

Pistacia lentiscus or mastic tree is, according to Wikipedia, a dioeciously evergreen shrub or small tree of the pistacio genus growing up to 4 m tall which is cultivated for its aromatic resin, mainly on the Greek island of Chios.
Mastic trees are the Chios’ trademark and they are a very important economic factor of the island. From the ancient years their cultivation was promoted and their produce was traded throughout Mediterranean Sea. The tree produces a resin with a very distinct and strong flavor. It is used in desserts, sweet breads, spirits etc. to aromatize them. Herodotus was the first to describe their resin and its unique flavor around 5th century BC. The resin comes out of the bark of the tree like tears. According to a medieval myth when Saint Isidoros was tortured by the Romans, mastic trees started crying as a sign of pain and agony.

Mastic Profiteroles 5a
Because of the preciousness of mastic trees, Chios was a very attractive “prey” for pirates and conquerors. Nevertheless, during Ottoman occupation the island enjoyed a privileged status compared to other areas, because of the mastic production.
Mastic trees live more than 100 years and its harvesting takes place from July to October. The whole procedure is called “Kentima” which means embroidery in English. The name is given to the procedure because in order to get the resin, they make 20 to 100 small incisions twice a week on the tree’s bark. These incisions help the mastic gum to come out in the form of tears. About 90% of the production is exported and about 5,000 families live from the cultivation of mastic trees. Chios Mastic Gum has been ruled by the EU as a Protected Designations of Origin product and Greece is the sole producer.

Mastic Profiteroles 6
I love French pastry, who doesn’t, and I was craving profiteroles. All this cream and chocolate deliciousness just couldn’t get out of my mind. And then I thought to add a little Greek touch to them. I love playing with flavors and trying to jazz things up a little bit. So, it came to me the idea, instead of using vanilla bean for aromatizing the crème patisserie, to add mastic and give a little flair from the island of Chios.
And so I did and they were so delicious you cannot imagine. If, by any chance, you can get your hands in this beautiful product, I urge you to try it. It resembles to nothing you have ever tasted. In case you cannot find it, you can go ahead and aromatize the cream with vanilla bean or orange which matches perfectly with the chocolate.
It’s better to make the choux balls the day before the assembly because they get firmer and easier to handle. Plus they don’t get massy when you add the cream and chocolate. So, let’s see how they are made.

Mastic Profiteroles 2a

French Profiteroles with Mastic Cream Filling

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Dessert
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Fusion
For the Choux Pastry
  • 125 gr. / 4.5 oz. milk
  • 125 gr. / 4.5 oz. water
  • 110 gr. / 4 oz. butter
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 140 gr. / 5 oz. flour
  • 250 gr. / 9 oz. egg (approximately 5 medium sized)
For the Mastic Crème Patisserie
  • 350 gr. / 12 oz. milk
  • 150 gr. / 5 oz. heavy cream 35%
  • 80 gr. / 3 oz. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 40 gr. / 1.5 oz. corn starch
  • 3 gr. / ½ tsp mastic powder
For the Chocolate Sauce
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. semi-sweet chocolate in pieces
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. heavy cream 35% fat
For the Choux Pastry
  1. Preheat oven to 200° C / 400° F.
  2. In a pot add the milk, the water, the butter, salt and sugar.
  3. Place the pot in medium/high heat.
  4. When the batter starts to boil, throw the flour and whisk for about 1 minute.
  5. At this point the batter will gather around the whisker and away from the sides of the pot.
  6. Remove from heat and put it in the mixer.
  7. In low speed and with the paddle, mix the dough and add the eggs one by one letting them to be incorporated in the dough.
  8. Take a pan and cover it with parchment paper.
  9. With a piping bag make little balls with the choux dough in the shape of a walnut.
  10. Bake for 20 minutes or until they become golden brown on top.
  11. If you have a second batch for baking, make sure you lower the oven to 175° C / 350° F.
  12. Please do not open the oven while they are baking and use the conventional oven instead of the one with air.
  13. Take them out of the oven and let them dry for a while.
  14. If you plan to complete the recipe next day, just put them in a plastic bag and store them in the fridge.
  15. Otherwise, you can fill them after couple of hours.
For the Crème Patisserie
  1. In a pot, in medium heat, pour the milk and the heavy cream.
  2. Mix the sugar, corn flour, mastic powder and the eggs in a bowl.
  3. Just before the milk/heavy cream batter starts to boil, throw ⅓ of it in the eggs’ batter and whisk.
  4. Then incorporate the two batters in the pot and start whisking.
  5. When the cream starts to thicken, remove from the fire.
  6. Empty it in a glass bowl; Cover its surface with cling film and put it in the fridge.
  7. When you are ready to fill the profiteroles, put the cream to the mixer and mix for a minute with the paddle, so as to become smooth and fluffy.
For the Chocolate Sauce
  1. Put the heavy cream in a pot in medium/high heat and when it starts to boil pour it in a glass bowl and add the chocolate.
  2. Mix until chocolate and cream are incorporated.
  3. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
Assembly
  1. In a big bowl add 3 to 4 spoonfuls of the mastic crème patisserie.
  2. Cut the little choux balls.
  3. With the piping bag or with a small spoon, fill the choux with the crème patisserie and place them in one layer in the bowl.
  4. Pour couple of spoonfuls of the chocolate sauce and continue to place the choux in layers. After each layer, pour couple of spoonfuls of chocolate sauce.
  5. On top of the last choux layer, pour all of the remaining sauce.
  6. Put them in the fridge for at least couple of hours.
  7. Take them out of the fridge 15 minutes to half an hour before serving.

Προφιτερόλ με Γέμιση Κρέμα Μαστίχας

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Επιδόρπιο
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Fusion
Για τα Σου
  • 125 γρ. γάλα
  • 125 γρ. νερό
  • 110 γρ. βούτυρο
  • 1 πρέζα αλάτι
  • 1 κ.γ. ζάχαρη
  • 140 γρ. αλεύρι
  • 250 γρ. αυγά (περίπου 5 μεσαίου μεγέθους)
Για την Κρέμα Ζαχαροπλαστικής με Μαστίχα
  • 350 γρ. γάλα
  • 150 γρ. κρέμα γάλακτος 35%
  • 80 γρ. ζάχαρη
  • 1 αυγό
  • 3 κρόκοι αυγών
  • 40 γρ. Corn flour
  • 3 γρ. μαστίχα σε σκόνη
Για την Σάλτσα Σοκολάτας
  • 200 γρ. κουβερτούρα σε κομμάτια
  • 200 γρ. κρέμα γάλακτος 35% λιπαρά
Για τα Σου
  1. Προθερμαίνετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
  2. Σε μια κατσαρόλα, προσθέστε το γάλα, το νερό, το βούτυρο, το αλάτι και ζάχαρη.
  3. Βάλτε την κατσαρόλα σε μέτρια/υψηλή θερμοκρασία.
  4. Όταν το μίγμα αρχίσει να βράζει, ρίξτε το αλεύρι και ανακατέψτε για περίπου 1 λεπτό.
  5. Σε λίγο το μίγμα θα πήξει και θα μαζευτεί γύρω από το σύρμα.
  6. Βγάλτε από τη φωτιά και βάλτε το στο μίξερ.
  7. Σε χαμηλές στροφές και με το κάπα, ανακατέψτε τη ζύμη και προσθέστε τα αυγά ένα-ένα ενσωματώνοντας κάθε φορά πριν ρίξετε το άλλο.
  8. Καλύψτε ένα ταψί με χαρτί ψησίματος.
  9. Με ένα κορνέ κάντε μπαλάκια σε σχήμα ενός καρυδιού.
  10. Ψήστε για 20 λεπτά ή μέχρι να ροδίσουν στην κορυφή.
  11. Εάν έχετε μια δεύτερη παρτίδα για το ψήσιμο, μειώστε το φούρνο στους 175° C.
  12. Μην ανοίγετε το φούρνο όσο ψήνονται και χρησιμοποιήστε το συμβατικό φούρνο αντί για τον αέρα.
  13. Βγάλτε τα από το φούρνο και αφήστε τα να στεγνώσουν για λίγο.
  14. Εάν προγραμματίζετε να ολοκληρώσετε συνταγή την επόμενη μέρα, απλά βάλτε τα σε μια πλαστική σακούλα και αποθηκεύστε τα στο ψυγείο.
  15. Διαφορετικά, μπορείτε να τα γεμίσετε μετά από μερικές ώρες.
Για την Κρέμα Ζαχαροπλαστικής με Μαστίχα
  1. Σε μια κατσαρόλα, σε μέτρια φωτιά, ρίξτε το γάλα και την κρέμα γάλακτος.
  2. Ανακατέψτε τη ζάχαρη, το κορν φλάουρ, τη μαστίχα σε σκόνη και τα αυγά σε ένα μπολ.
  3. Λίγο πριν αρχίσει να βράζει το γάλα πάρτε μερικές κουταλιές και ρίξτε τις στο αυγό και ανακατέψτε με το σύρμα.
  4. Στη συνέχεια ρίξτε το μίγμα των αυγών στο γάλα και ανακατέψτε καλά.
  5. Όταν η κρέμα αρχίσει να πήζει, κατεβάστε από τη φωτιά.
  6. Αδειάστε τη σε ένα γυάλινο μπολ, καλύψτε την επιφάνειά της με διάφανη μεμβράνη και βάλτε τη στο ψυγείο.
  7. Όταν είστε έτοιμοι να γεμίσετε τα προφιτερόλ, βγάλτε την κρέμα από το ψυγείο και με το μίξερ ανακατέψτε για ένα λεπτό ώστε να γίνει λεία και αφράτη.
Για την Σάλτσα Σοκολάτας
  1. Βάλτε σε μέτρια προς δυνατή φωτιά την κρέμα και όταν πάρει βράση ρίξτε τη σε ένα γυάλινο μπολ με την σοκολάτα.
  2. Ανακατέψτε μέχρι σοκολάτα και κρέμα να ενσωματωθούν.
  3. Αφήστε το να κρυώσει για 10 λεπτά.
Συναρμολόγηση
  1. Σε ένα μεγάλο μπολ προσθέστε 3 έως 4 κουταλιές από τη κρέμα ζαχαροπλαστικής.
  2. Κόψτε στη μέση τα σου.
  3. Με το κορνέ ή με ένα μικρό κουτάλι, γεμίστε τα σου με την κρέμα ζαχαροπλαστικής και τοποθετήστε τα σε ένα στρώμα στο μπολ.
  4. Ρίξτε μερικές κουταλιές από την σάλτσα σοκολάτας και συνεχίστε να βάζετε τα σου σε στρώματα.
  5. Μετά από κάθε στρώση, ρίξτε μερικές κουταλιές από την σάλτσα σοκολάτας.
  6. Πάνω από την τελευταία στρώση σου, ρίξτε όλη την υπόλοιπη σάλτσα σοκολάτας.
  7. Βάλτε στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον δύο ώρες.
  8. Βγάλτε από το ψυγείο 15 λεπτά με μισή ώρα πριν το σερβίρισμα.

54 Responses to French Profiteroles with Mastic Cream Filling

1. Winnie says:

These are really mouth-watering!!

3. Oh how I would love to surprise my hubbie with your beautiful profiteroles for Father’s Day!

5. These look so delicious!

these are just delightful, katerina!! you can’t go wrong with profiteroles, but your filling is uniquely delicious!

9. Stephanie says:

Wow those look incredible!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

What a delicious dessert and a special treat. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday this week.
    Come Back Soon!

13. Pretty to look at but I bet they tasted insanely delicious….

15. These profiteroles look absolutely perfect! Brings back lots of memories of my Mother making a very similar recipe :)

17. Your profiteroles look amazing! Visiting from #recipeoftheweek.
    I have a monthly blog challenge called #PerfectingPatisserie if you would like to link up, there will be a full roundup.

19. Tara says:

One of my favorite desserts, and yours look amazing!!

21. Your profiteroles look absolutely amazing, Katerina! Beautiful pictures as well. All I want right now is grabing one or two through the screen!

23. These look really delicious and wish I could try one right now Pinned and shared!

25. A feast for the eyes as well as the tummy! Beautiful job my friend!

Your profiteroles look amazing! I love the Greek flavour you’ve added.

29. Your profiteroles are gorgeous and I loved learning about where Mastic comes from.

31. These look amazing…perfect bite sized treats.

What adorable pastries these are!!

36. Perfect little dessert….love min desserts!

38. These are so pretty. I just love them.

looks amazing your a fab baker

42. Beverly says:

I have never heard of mastic. Thanks for the lesson. Your photos are amazing and I just want to bit the computer screen.
    Thanks for sharing at Wake Up Wednesday.
    Bev

44. Sneha says:

Beautiful! And so impressive! My husband loves Profiteroles, but I usually only buy them premade in the frozen section. I must try making them someday…Thanks for sharing a kweel update

46. Abigail says:

These profiteroles look perfect! Love, love, love them!

48. This dessert has my mouth watering. So beautiful.

50. Nettie says:

Omg, can’t show these to hubs. He begs me to make profiterole f used to order them at his favorite restaurant in New York City. they look absolutely spectacular! Nettie

52. As always this recipe looks outstanding, if I lived in your house I think I would gain 50 pounds eating!

What an interesting story about the mastic, Katerina. The process of getting it from the tree sounds very much like how we get the sap from maple trees to make maple syrup. Your profiteroles are beautiful!

56. Beautiful! And so impressive! My husband loves Profiteroles, but I usually only buy them premade in the frozen section. I must try making them someday.

Tout simplement magnifique. BRAVO!!!!!

60. Oh wow love the idea of making mastic cream filling for this lovely french sweet treat. I have some in my cupboard somewhere!

62. Elena says:

These profiteroles are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

64. I would like to dive right in to these profiteroles. They are so pretty!

Katerina, your profiteroles are just perfect…I love the mastic in the cream…I would love to get hold of a few of them.
    Have a great week my dear :)

68. glria says:

Katerina these look absolutely wonderful and delicious! The pictures are amazing!!

70. One of my favorite desserts and you made them perfectly.

72. Diane says:

Love the Mastic tree story! So interesting. this recipe is out of sight delicious! I really want to pop a morsel in my mouth now! And then another…and another… so good!

74. Πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα η εκδοχή με την κρέμα μαστίχας. Φαίνονται υπέροχα!

76. Those cream puffs look scrumptious!

78. marcela says:

It looks wonderful! I’d die to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

Such beautiful cream puffs! I still have a stash of mastic that you sent me years ago :) Thank you, my friend!!! xoxo

82. Your photography is just stunning! These need to be on a front of a magazine! Do you need any quality assurance testers? I would love to volunteer for the job. It’s a dirty job, but you know someone has to test all these profiteroles. Just pinned and shared!

They must have smelled heavenly:)

The profiteroles look amazing, Katerina!!! I love the addition of mastic in the cream filling!!!Have a great week, :)

88. Damn delicious and cute looking profiteroles….

90. Sues says:

These profiteroles are absolutely gorgeous!! I’d eat way too many of them :)

92. κατερίνα μου συνδύασες τις δύο μου αγάπες!! το προφιτερόλ και την μαστίχα!! τα λατρεύω και τα δύο.
    το γλυκάκι σου, απλά θεϊκό!!
    καλή εβδομάδα! Χ

94. mila furman says:

I just had profiteroles yesterday for desert! They were giant and delicious and I had 4!!! I think your recipe and the fact that I devoured 4 last night is a clue to start making some:)

What a creative idea! I would patent it because I already imagine pastry chefs stealing it from you :-) Apart from all the Greek cheese varieties you talk about so beautifully and with such a passion, this is one more thing on my tasting list when I go to Greece one day. I love profiteroles; my favourite are those filled with ice-cream, but I could eat crème pâtissière by kilos on its own, so I’m sure these taste heavenly!

98. Mari says:

Όλα τα γλυκά μου αρέσουν Κατερίνα, αλλά αυτά είναι από τα πιο αγαπημένα και τα έχεις φτιάξει τέλεια και αρωματικά!!
    Φιλιά!

100. Φοβερά κομψό και λαχταριστό γλυκό!
    Οι φωτογραφίες με τη σοκολάτα να ρέει έτσι όμορφα είναι απλά ανεπανάληπτες!
    Μου αρέσει πολύ η κρέμα μαστίχας! Δροσερή και διαφορετική!

102. Αυτα τα θελω πολύ!!!!
    Καλή εβδομαδα :)

104. Killer recipe my friend! ♥ I love Mastiha. One of my favorite flavors. I also love the gum. You can chew all day!! 😉