Savory Puff Pastry Nests

Savory Puff Pastry Nests.JPG

November has the longest nights and I think it is now that everyone realizes that winter has already settled here. Apart from the somewhat depressing feeling, November for me is the month of celebrations as I have my Name Day on the 25th and it is also the beginning of my blogging travel. At this time of the year is, I think, when we start, timidly, to think and crave about Christmas. Every year shops start to decorate even earlier than the year before in an attempt to warm people’s feelings and arouse their purchasing needs. And I think they succeed.

Christmas is a very important feast for Christians of all doctrines and the same stands for us here who are Christian Orthodox. As we move closer to Christmas, I will recount some of our customs, thrills, stories, fairytales and legends following this feast. Also, because of my Name Day and since my blog becomes 6 years old, I will have for you many gifts to celebrate together all these happy moments. Stay tuned and don’t miss the fun.

Savory Puff Pastry Nests.JPG

Regarding the food I prepared today, sausages are very popular in Greece and they are sold through supermarkets or butcher stores. In the old days they used to be only from pork, but today that modern way of life has put a burden on everyone’s health, companies and individuals have started making them with beef, chicken or turkey. Many people especially in the rural areas of Greece continue to make their own sausages and share them with their friends and family.

To be honest, I am not very fond of sausages, but my family is and so once in a while and particularly if a friend brings to me a homemade one, I find the opportunity to create something that all my family, including me, will enjoy.

Savory Puff Pastry Nests.JPG

The same stands for these little Puff Pastry Nests filled with homemade leek sausage topped with mashed potatoes. They were so delicious, they vanished in moments and they also gave me an idea of what to make as an appetizer during Christmas festive gatherings.

And since Christmas is coming and for you my friends in US, Thanksgiving is this month, every week I will have for you a festive menu to get ideas on what you can prepare for your friends and family during these months. So, let’s see first the menu idea and then proceed in preparing these delicious, little treats. They were very easy to make and they were packed with flavors.

Savory Puff Pastry Nests.JPG

• 900 gr. / 32 oz. peeled potatoes
  • 200 ml / 7 oz. milk, scalded
  • 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. melted margarine or butter
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper
For the Mashed Potatoes
  1. In salted water boil the potatoes until completely soft and done.
  2. Remove from fire and drain them.
  3. Put them in a food mill and make them puree.
  4. Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix until they are incorporated.
  5. Put aside.
For the Sausage
  1. Cut the sausage in medium pieces and place them in your blender.
  2. Mix until they mushy just like the ground meat.
  3. Take a pot and place it on the stove in medium heat.
  4. Throw the ground sausage, the tomato juice and all the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil.
  5. Lower heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove from fire.
  7. In the mean time we can prepare the puff pastry nests.
  8. Preheat oven to 200° C / 400° F.
  9. Butter two 15 case muffin pans.
  10. Put the puff pastry rosettes so as to cover the bottom and the sides of each case.
  11. With a fork, pinch the dough in several places.
  12. Put in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
  13. Take them out.
  14. Leave the oven turned on.
  15. Add 1 to 1 ½ tbsp. of the ground sausage to each nest.
  16. Take a plastic food bag and fill it with the mashed potatoes.
  17. Cut the one tip of the bag so as to have an opening of about 1,5 cm / 0.5 in.
  18. Start decorating with the mashed potatoes the same way you do with the cupcakes.
  19. Place the muffin tins in the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the mashed potatoes tips have taken a golden color.
  20. Remove from the oven, let them cool a little bit and then serve.

Αλμυρές Φωλιές Σφολιάτας με Λουκάνικο

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
  • 350 γρ. λουκάνικο με πράσα από γαλοπούλα ή χοιρινό
  • 30 σφολιατάκια
  • 1 φλ. κονκασέ ντομάτας
  • ¼ φλ. κόκκινο ξηρό κρασί
  • ½ κ.γ. ξηρό βασιλικό
  • ½ κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • ¼ κ.γ. κάρδαμο
  • ¼ κ.γ. κύμινο
  • ¼ κ.γ. πάπρικα
Για τον Πουρέ Πατάτας
  • 900 γρ. καθαρισμένες πατάτες
  • 200 ml γάλα, ζεστό
  • 100 γρ. λιωμένη μαργαρίνη ή βούτυρο
  • ½ κ.γ. μοσχοκάρυδο
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι
Για τον Πουρέ Πατάτας
  1. Σε αλατισμένο νερό βράστε τις πατάτες μέχρι να μαλακώσουν εντελώς.
  2. Αφαιρέστε από τη φωτιά και στραγγίστε.
  3. Βάλτε στο μύλο λαχανικών και κάντε τις πουρέ.
  4. Προσθέστε όλα τα υπόλοιπα υλικά και ανακατέψτε μέχρι να ενσωματωθούν.
  5. Βάλτε στην άκρη.
Για το Λουκάνικο
  1. Κόψτε το λουκάνικο σε μέτρια κομμάτια και βάλτε τα στο μπλέντερ σας.
  2. Ανακατέψτε μέχρι να γίνουν κιμάς.
  3. Πάρτε μία κατσαρολίτσα και βάλτε τη στο μάτι της κουζίνας σε μέτρια φωτιά.
  4. Ρίξτε το λουκάνικο, το χυμό ντομάτας και όλα τα υπόλοιπα υλικά και φέρτε σε βρασμό.
  5. Χαμηλώστε τη φωτιά και αφήστε να σιγοβράσουν για 15 λεπτά.
  6. Βγάλτε από τη φωτιά.
  7. Εν τω μεταξύ, μπορείτε να προετοιμάσετε τις φωλιές της σφολιάτας.
  8. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
  9. Βουτυρώστε δύο ταψάκια των μάφινς με 15 θήκες το καθένα.
  10. Βάλτε τις ροζέτες σφολιάτας, έτσι ώστε να καλύψουν το κατώ μέρος και τις πλευρές της κάθε θήκης.
  11. Με ένα πιρούνι, τσιμπήστε τη ζύμη σε διάφορα σημεία.
  12. Βάλτε στο φούρνο και ψήστε για 5 λεπτά.
  13. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο.
  14. Αφήστε το φούρνο ανοιχτό.
  15. Προσθέστε 1 έως 1 ½ κουταλιές της σούπας από το λουκάνικο σε κάθε φωλιά.
  16. Πάρτε μια σακούλα τροφίμων και γεμίστε τη με τον πουρέ πατάτας.
  17. Κόψτε το ένα άκρο της σακούλας ώστε να έχει άνοιγμα περίπου 1,5 cm.
  18. Ξεκινήστε με το αυτοσχέδιο κορνέ τη διακόσμηση με πουρέ πατάτας με τον ίδιο τρόπο που κάνετε με τα cupcakes.
  19. Τοποθετήστε τα ταψάκια στο φούρνο και ψήστε για 20 με 30 λεπτά, ή μέχρι οι κορυφές του πουρέ πατάτας, να πάρουν ένα χρυσό χρώμα.
  20. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο, αφήστε να κρυώσουν λίγο και στη συνέχεια σερβίρετε.

47 Responses to Savory Puff Pastry Nests

1. These are so cute. I love the savory surprise nestled under the potatoes. Delish.

3. WOW!! You are making me hungry! Happy you are a Christian. :)

The puff pastry nests look so cute and festive! Thank you for sharing other festive food ideas. I’ll be coming back to check them before Christmas. I desperately need ideas!

7. Oh these look like little bites of goodness! Thanks for sharing! Also wanted to let you know about a new linky party starting this Saturday at 8pm called “Found & Foraged” Can’t wait to party with you at http://www.houseofhipsters.com

Hi Katrina,
    Your Savory Puff Pastry nests will be a very special treat, these look delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great day!

11. Happy 6th Blogiversary!!! These delicious savoury puff pastry nests are the perfect way to celebrate. A lovely appetiser to start out the holiday seasons. Just shared! Can you please check your e-mail, just sent you a little message? Wishing you a super day. Take Care, BAM

13. Oh goodness!! Glad I have eaten. I am almost hungry again. What a wonderful array of gorgeous food photos. Yummy!! Have a great week ahead, Katerina. :)

15. Always a game for anything savory. That Creme Caramel is tempting me equally though.

17. These pastry nests look terrific with tasty topping…

19. λαχταριστές οι φωλίτσες σου Κατερίνα μου!!
    ωραίος συνδυασμός υλικών! ότι πρέπει για να υποδεχθούμε την παρέα μας!!
    καλημέρα!!!!!

21. Stephanie says:

How beautiful and delicious!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

23. I found these over at the Best of the Weekend Link Party. These sound wonderful! I have pinned them and I will be making these this winter!

25. Εδώ ταιριάζει το ”μπουκιά και συχώριο” :)

Καλό Σαββατοκύριακο!

Hi Katerina:)
    Once I finally decided that there wasn’t anything I could do about the changing of seasons this year, or any other year for that matter, lol…I decided to sit back and enjoy:) The stores here are already pushing ahead for the Chrismtas season. I think they may just skip over Thanksgiving this year, lol…And Name Days oh my they wouldn’t know where to begin, lol…I look forward to your delicious seasonal posts Katerina. If they are any where near as stunning and tempting as these savory puffs of goodness, Look out!!!

Thank you so much for sharing, Katerina…

P.S. I stumbled upon a blog in Athens that I think you might like. I’ll leave the link here if you would like to check it out:)

29. Damn delicious and elegant starter dish!!!

i like sweet tarts a lot, but these are pretty incredible too! they look picture perfect!

Well I love sausage so these savory pastries are making me quite hungry. A very unique way to enjoy sausage. What a great feast you have going here!

35. What a lovely party nibble to serve at upcoming holiday parties! Beautiful photos and well written directions as always my friend!

Nice little bites Katerina…sausage and mashed potato all in one bite…in a puff crust. Great appetizer!
    Thanks for the inspiration…hope you are enjoying your week :)

39. Mila says:

I ate too much sausage rolls and I was looking for a pastry/meat recipe with a twist. Thanks for that!

41. Yummy appetizer. They would be perfect served at Holiday parties.

43. The puff pastry and the green salad are definitely making me drool right now. Everything looks amazing

45. These look amazing and I look forward to more posts from you. Love your blog Katerina.

47. These savory little bits would be perfect for the Christmas party I hold every year. I know everyone would really enjoy them.

49. These look great! I have to admit that when I first saw them I thought they were desserts. Now that I know what’s in them, I love the idea! Yum! Pinned!

These are such cute little appetizer bites!!

What delicious nibbles! Bill would be thrilled with these! And I would, too.

55. Looks awesome! You make such delicious recipes and I can’t wait to try this one for sure!!!

57. Balvinder says:

Definitely a wonderful appetizer!

59. nipponnin says:

Darling little savory treats which I love to take to gathering like bridal shower…I think it’s great idea. Very nice recipe.

61. Oh these are just to adorable. I am not a huge sausage fan too but I like them used like this. Is it summer yet?

63. Νόστιμη πρόταση, ιδανική για μπουφέ ή για ένα χουχουλιάρικο χειμωνιάτικο βράδυ μαζί με καλή παρέα!
    Μ’ αρέσουν πολύ τα υλικά που έβαλες Κατερίνα και μου αρέσει πολύ η εμφάνιση των αλμυρών σου φωλιών.

65. I love those delicious looking pastry nests! I think I could eat those for my whole meal!

these are cute little mini sheperd pies

Winter? We’re finally getting fall!

I know what you mean about November normally being depressing. After the golden leaves fall to the ground there isn’t much to look at outdoors until the first snow fall but then there’s more time to cook and bake :)

These savory sausage puffs look delicious, Katerina!

73. V says:

These appetizers sound delicious and are perfect for holiday parties. I particularly like the puff pastry one. Puff pastry is the perfect “container” for all sorts of yummy fillings. I will certainly try out your recipe!

75. Sues says:

Pretty sure my stomach just rumbled while I was reading this post. YUM!!

77. So cute and easy to make, the perfect party pleaser appetizer.

79. Monica says:

This recipe is a great one for the holidays! It sounds super delicious!

81. I love the simple sweet potato filling. These pastry nests look wonderful.

Εξαιρετική γιορτινή πρόταση!!!

I never think of using puff pastry for savoury dishes. What a great appetizer!

Well, all great people have birthdays in November! :)

These appetizers may show up at one of our holiday parties as well. That salad looks amazing and has me wondering when the pomegranates will show up in our stores this season. Can’t wait to see what else you have in store,

89. Those puff pastry nests look so addictive, no one could stop at one 😀

I saw first Christmas decorations here in October sold in a shop! OMG! each year earlier and earlier, I am not sure if I like it or not
    but well, it’s good time to start planning festive menu!

93. marcela says:

Wow! Everything looks so delicious! Great job!