Dark Chocolate Torte with Strawberry Jell

Dark Chocolate Torte.JPG

Tomorrow is my Name Day. In Greece Name Days are even more important than birthdays. If you want to learn more about this tradition you can check here. In the old days people used to visit the person whom his/her name was celebrating and wish him/her well. At that day a range of desserts were made by the housewife, so as to treat all the guests expected.

Today things have changed quite a bit. With the frenzy rhythms of everyday life and the crazy working hours, people do not celebrate as they used to. In order to visit you have to be invited first. Usually, if someone celebrates his/her Name Day during the week prefers to invite everyone during the weekends. But even this does not happen as often as it used to back in the 50’s or 60’s.

Dark Chocolate Torte.JPG

Every year I invite my friends to celebrate and have fun, but somehow this year I feel totally exhausted and completely strained from energy. I have no idea what I am going to do to celebrate, perhaps take them out and have someone else do the dirty job for me. That would be perfect. I have to think about it a bit and decide.

In the meantime, and because I don’t want to leave you without a treat, I made this delicious Dark Chocolate Torte filled with Strawberry Jell. It is not hard to make, on the contrary it is quite easy. It has three stages and the good thing is that you can make it even two days before the event. In this way, you have a very impressive dessert and you don’t have to make it the same day.

Dark Chocolate Torte.JPG

In Greece, contrary to the States, we prefer desserts that are less spongy and have a thick layer of ganache. As I mentioned in previous posts, Greek pastry chefs follow the French masters. I, too, prefer in formal occasions the Torte instead of the Cake. It is more airy and leaves a richer taste in your taste buds.

If you like dark chocolate then this Torte is THE DESSERT for you. A rich semi sweet ganache with a strawberry jell inside it, covered with a fine layer of dark chocolate ganache. I garnished it with chocolate grindings and finely crumbled cookies like the ones we use in cheesecake. My son told me that it was the best Torte I have ever made and believe me he is a very hard to please little thing.

Now that we are entering a long festive season this is the best sweet to serve to your friends and family and impress with its flavor.

Dark Chocolate Torte.JPG

Torta di Lefkothea.JPG

Lemon Torte di Lefkothea

Dark Chocolate Torte.JPG

Dark Chocolate Torte with Strawberry Jell

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Dessert
For the Jell
  • In Greece we have jells that are sold in a package that contains two envelopes of 100 gr. /3.5 oz. each. I used the one envelope which I dissolved in 200 gr. / 7 oz. hot water and added another 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. of cold water. From this solution, I used half the quantity for my torte. The rest I put it in a bowl and we ate it as it was.
For the Ganache Filling
  • 400 gr. / 14 oz. dark chocolate 50% cocoa
  • 240 gr. / 8.5 oz. milk
  • 400 ml / 13.5 fl. oz. heavy cream 35% fat
  • 2 tsp confectioner’s sugar
For the Ganache Cover
  • 300 gr. / 10.5 oz. dark chocolate 60% cocoa
  • 240 gr. / 8.5 oz. heavy cream 35% fat
  • A very thin layer about 1,5 cm. / 0.5 in. thick of sponge cake with diameter 24cm/ 9.5 in.
For the Jell
  1. Put this jell in a rounded pan or bowl that its diameter will be 4 cm. / 1.5 in. less that the diameter of the pan you will be using (in my case since I used a spring form pan of 24 cm. / 9.5 in. the pan I used for the jell was 20cm. / 8 in.) for the torte and place it in the freezer to freeze completely. You can make this even two days before the actual day of serving.
For the Ganache Filling
  1. Boil the milk.
  2. In a glass bowl place the chocolate cut in small pieces and pour the hot milk.
  3. Incorporate and put aside.
  4. In your mixer bowl pour the heavy cream and confectioner’s sugar and whisk with the wire whip until it becomes thick as a Greek yogurt.
  5. Slowly, slowly add it to the chocolate batter and mix gently with a spatula until everything is incorporated.
  6. Place it in the refrigerator for half an hour to start becoming thick.
  7. Take a rounded spring form pan with diameter 24cm / 9.5 in.
  8. Place the sponge cake at the bottom of the pan.
  9. Pour half of the ganache and spread to form a layer from side to side.
  10. Take the jell out of the freezer, unmold and place it in the center of the spring form pan on top of the ganache leaving an equal distance from the sides of the pan.
  11. Cover it with the rest of the ganache and spread it again with a spatula to become even on top.
  12. Place in the freezer covered with a cling film.
For the Ganache Covering
  1. In a glass bowl melt in the microwave the chocolate and heavy cream until they become a dark liquid.
  2. Take the torte out of the freezer.
  3. Lay a parchment paper on your counter.
  4. On top of it place a rack.
  5. Take the torte and put it on the rack.
  6. Pour the ganache covering so as to cover the top and the sides of the torte.
  7. With a spatula spread to make even on top.
  8. If you like you can decorate with milk chocolate grinding and or ground cookies.

Τούρτα Μαύρης Σοκολάτας με Γέμιση Ζελέ Φράουλας

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Επιδόρπιο
Για το Ζελέ
  • Από ένα πακέτο που περιέχει δύο φακέλους των 100 γραμμαρίων, χρησιμοποίησα τον ένα φάκελο που διέλυσα σε ζεστό νερό 200 γρ. και πρόσθεσα και άλλα 100 γρ. κρύο νερό. Από αυτό το διάλυμα, χρησιμοποίησα την μισή ποσότητα για την τούρτα. Το υπόλοιπο το έβαλα σε ένα μπολ και το φάγαμε όπως ήταν.
Για τη Γέμιση
  • 400 γρ. σοκολάτα με 50% κακάο
  • 240 γρ. γάλα
  • 400 ml κρέμα γάλακτος 35% λιπαρά
  • 2 κ.γ. ζάχαρη άχνη
Για την Κάλυψη
  • 300 γρ. σοκολάτα με 60% κακάο
  • 240 γρ. κρέμα γάλακτος 35% λιπαρά
  • Ένα παντεσπάνι με διάμετρο 24cm και πάχος περίπου 1,5 cm.
Για το Ζελέ
  1. Βάλτε το ζελέ σε ένα στρογγυλο ταψί ή μπολ με διάμετρο 4 cm. λιγότερη από τη διάμετρο του ταψιού που θα χρησιμοποιήσετε (στην περίπτωσή μου δεδομένου ότι χρησιμοποίησα ένα ταψί των 24 cm. το ταψάκι που χρησιμοποίησα για το ζελέ ήταν 20 cm.) για την τούρτα και τοποθετήστε το στην κατάψυξη να παγώσει εντελώς. Μπορείτε να το κάνετε αυτό ακόμη και δύο ημέρες πριν από την ημέρα που θα το σερβίρετε.
Για τη Γέμιση
  1. Βράστε το γάλα.
  2. Σε ένα γυάλινο μπολ τοποθετήστε τη σοκολάτα κομμένη σε κομματάκια και ρίξτε το ζεστό γάλα.
  3. Ανακατέψτε να λιώσει η σοκολάτα τελείως και βάλτε στην άκρη.
  4. Στο μπολ του μίξερ σας ρίξτε την κρέμα γάλακτος και τη ζάχαρη άχνη και χτυπήστε με το σύρμα μέχρι να πήξει και να έχει την υφή του γιαουρτιού.
  5. Σιγά-σιγά, προσθέστε τη λιωμένη σοκολάτα στην κρέμα γάλακτος και ανακατέψτε απαλά με μια σπάτουλα να ενσωματωθούν.
  6. Βάλτε στο ψυγείο για μισή ώρα μέχρι να αρχίσει να πήζει λίγο.
  7. Πάρτε ένα ταψάκι με διάμετρο 24cm.
  8. Τοποθετήστε το παντεσπάνι στον πάτο.
  9. Ρίξτε τη μισή γκανάς και απλώστε σε ένα ομοιόμορφο χρώμα.
  10. Βγάλτε το ζελέ από την κατάψυξη και από το ταψάκι του και τοποθετήστε το στο κέντρο του ταψιού και πάνω από τη γκανάς αφήνοντας ίση απόσταση από τα πλαινά του ταψιού.
  11. Καλύψτε με την υπόλοιπη γκανάς και απλώστε με μια σπάτουλα να ισιώσει από πάνω.
  12. Τοποθετήστε στην κατάψυξη καλυμμένο με μια μεμβράνη.
Για την Κάλυψη
  1. Βάλτε τη σοκολάτα και την κρέμα γάλακτος σε ένα γυάλινο μπολ να λιώσουν στο φούρνο μικροκυμάτων μέχρι να ομογενοποιηθούν.
  2. Βγάλτε την τούρτα από την κατάψυξη.
  3. Βάλτε ένα χαρτί ψησίματος στον πάγκο που θα δουλέψετε.
  4. Από πάνω βάλτε μια σχάρα.
  5. Πάρτε την τούρτα και τοποθετήστε τη στη σχάρα.
  6. Ρίξτε τη γκανάς έτσι ώστε να καλύψει την επιφάνεια και τις πλευρές της τούρτας.
  7. Με μια σπάτουλα απλώστε έτσι ώστε να γίνει ένα λείο στρώμα από πάνω.
  8. Αν σας αρέσει μπορείτε να διακοσμήσετε με σοκολάτα γάλακτος και τριμμένο μπισκότο.

62 Responses to Dark Chocolate Torte with Strawberry Jell

1. I didn’t knew about name day, just learnt about it. This chocolate torte looks like a great dessert.. Love the strawberry jello in the middle!!

3. Vita says:

Υπέροχο το εφέ της κόκκινης “καρδιάς” στην καρδιά της τούρτας! Τι ιδέα!

5. This is definitely the dessert for me! I love chocolate, especially dark chocolate! This has to be one of the prettiest torte I’ve ever seen. The strawberry jello in the middle is stunning!

7. This looks so delicious! Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party! I’ve pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Board.

this is a show-stopper, katerina! i like it when something looks pretty AND tastes great. :)

Oh Katerina…sorry I missed you Name Day…Happy Belated Name Day my dear…what a beautiful way to celebrate…love the jelly inside, it is sure a very elegant cake.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

13. Daiana says:

Happy (belated) name day to you!
    Wonderful cake! I saved it on my to-do list.
    The menu is great too!

15. Diane Balch says:

Happy Name Day,
    I hope you perk up a little. Love the jello center of your cake. Very festive. Pinned. Thanks for bringing this to Weekend Bites.

17. Maggie says:

What a beautiful cake! It’s so interesting to see jell inside a cake, and it looks so delicious! Pinned! :)

20. Delicious combo and looks tempting…

What a unique and delicious idea, Katerina! So pretty too. Hope you had a wonderful name day!

24. Winnie says:

It’s a gorgeous cake and definitely a delicious one!!
    Torte cakes with strawberry jelly are super popular here :)

26. Thats a beautiful torte Katrina.

28. marcela says:

Wow! This is such a great idea! I love jell and chocolate, so this combination is just perfect!

30. Happy name day Katerina! Such a cool looking cake, impressive for guests, plus it looks so good!

32. What a beautifully unique cake. This is one that I must try because I am intrigued by that gel center :-)

Such a pretty dessert. Happy Name Day!

36. Catherine says:

Looks absolutely delicious! Perfect for the holiday table.
    Happy Thanksgiving. xo Catherine

Χρόνια πολλά και από εδώ Κατερίνα μου :)
    Να είσαι καλά κι ευτυχισμένη

Εχουν αλλάξει λίγο οι ονομαστικές εορτές. Ολοι τις μεταφέρουν το σ/κ, αν τις γιορτάσουν τελικά. Μου λείπουν οι παλιές μέρες που πήγαινες όποια μέρα και να έπεφτε να ευχηθείς στον άλλο χωρίς να σε καλέσει.

Τέλειο γλυκό. Φανταστικό.
    Το ζελέ στη μέση το κάνει απίστευτο.
    Στην εκτέλεση τελικά δεν είναι και τόσο δυσκολο, όσο φαίνεται.
    Πολύ ωραία παρουσίαση.

Φιλιά πολλά

40. What a wonderful recipe, I would never have thought about that. Looks incredibly good!!

42. Viviana says:

Happy Name Day Katerina! Your cake looks absolutely gorgeous, I hope you enjoy!

44. Happy Name Day! I’d never heard of this tradition! Your torte looks delicious…we love dark chocolate!

46. Oh my god that jelly center is just driving my taste buds crazy.. wish I had a slice to devour right now! Incredible recipe!

Fabulous dessert and SO beautiful!

Hi Katerina,
    first let me say your dessert is absolutely stunning. When I first saw the combinations of the jelly and chocolate I thought of chocolate candies I use to eat when I was a child theyere was a starberry jell inside and they were covered in dark chocolate. I wish I could remember their name:)

Your Torte is stunning and I totally agree. I would take this over a cake any day!

I have always been fascinated with Name Day celebrations. I’ve done quite a few posts on my blog celebrating them. It’s too bad the tradition is going by the wayside. I suppose it would be more enjoyable to go to celebrate though. After all, it is your Name Day.

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe, Katerina. I do hope you are feeling better soon. We all have a busy holiday season ahead. Stay well and have a wonderful time where ever and what ever you do!!!

52. What a lovely dessert! Love the strawberry and chocolate. I hope you find a wonderful way to celebrate, and enjoy your special day!

54. Daniela says:

Happy Name Day, Katerina!
    In Austria we celebrate the Name day as well.
    You chose such a delightful and pretty dessert to celebrate the occasion.

56. Abby says:

Your photography is stunning and brings out the yummy-ness in this gorgeous dessert! And yes, you had me at Dark Chocolate! Love it!

58. G’day Absolutely gorgeous and Happy Name Day Katerina!
    Cheers! Joanne

60. Becky says:

Happy Name Day!! This dessert sounds and looks amazing! So unique with the jello filling!

62. Happy Name Day! What a fun tradition and what a delicious torte. I love dark chocolate and would devour this in a heart beat. Thank you for sharing this with us. Hope you have a lovely celebration.

64. Just a stunningly beautiful dessert. What a surprise people would have when they cut into this. Amazing! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

66. Happy Name Day my Sweet Friend! Your torte is absolutely breathtaking..I can’t stop looking at it and can only imagine how heavenly it must taste! xoxo

68. Lovefoodies says:

Pure Genius! What a beautiful and great dessert with wonderful flavour and texture contrasts. I really like it a lot, and thank you! I am going to try this for Christmas time!

70. Happy Name Day Katerina :) What an absolutely stunningly beautiful dessert. I am like you and would take a rich torte over a cake any day. This is going on my Christmas menu, for sure!

72. I loved reading about name days and the recipe – well the torte is GORGEOUS.

I love that strawberry jello filling to cut the richness of the chocolate!

76. Happy Name Day. I’ve never seen a dessert like this. It’s so beautiful. Have a wonderful day.

78. Happy Name Day, Katerina!
    The dark chocolate torte looks so beautiful with hidden treasure :-)

80. Your dessert is so unique. I have not seen anything like it before. I was wondering how you got that gel filling in the inside and now your secret is out. Love the textures to your cake, it sounds so rich and delicious and I can’t wait to try it. Happy belated name day to you! Just shared!!!

82. Mari says:

Πολύ πρωτότυπη τούρτα και φαντάζομαι πολύ νόστιμη!!
    Χρόνια σου πολλά και ότι επιθυμείς εύχομαι!!
    Φιλιά πολλά!!

84. happy name day! what a delicious way to celebrate!

86. Suzanne says:

Everything looks incredible, that cake with the strawberry jello in the middle is so beautiful. Stellar line up.

88. nipponnin says:

Your country has an interesting holiday. I think it’s a neat tradition.
    This is unique dessert and very pretty and fun! I love dark chocolate and yes! this is my kind of cake. You must have great technique, it looks divine!

90. τι όμορφη και πρωτότυπη τούρτα είναι αυτή!!! το διάφανο ζελέ στη μέση είναι πολύ εντυπωσιακό! εύγε!
    σου εύχομαι να περάσεις πολύ όμορφα την ημέρα της γιορτής σου και κάθε επιθυμία σου να γίνει πραγματικότητα!
    καλό βράδυ Κατερίνα μου!!

92. Ώπα τι τσαχπινιά ειναι αυτή στην μέση της τουρτας!

Να έχεις μια γλυκύτατη εβδομάδα :)

94. That lovely jelly centre would be such a fun surprise factor 😀
    Delicious dessert!

96. Pam says:

Interesting reading about Saint Catherine. Name day is a great tradition. Your torte looks fabulous, it has to be delicious! Pretty too. Happy Name Day!

98. Michal says:

Have never heard of Name day before, so happy name day :-)
    And that cake looks so delicious!
    Sharing this on my G+ :-)

Greek chefs are so right to follow the French art of pastry and confectionery… For me French pastry is the best in the world and your torte does look like a dessert from a French confectioner’s shop. It looks so creamy, light and sophisticated, I am sure most people would be surprised a home cook has made such a beauty!
    Happy Name Day, Katerina!

102. Sues says:

What a beautiful cake! It’s so unique. Happy Name Day! :)

Χρόνια Πολλά από σήμερα!! να είσαι πάντα Υγιείς και να σε χαίρονται αυτοί που σε αγαπούν.
    Πολλά φιλιά

Happy Early Name Day from one to another!

What a stunning torte! I love the surprise in the center :)

110. Monica says:

This was so interesting! And this cake is amazing since I love rich desserts. Anything with chocolate ganache has got to be divine. The jelly inside is such a surprise. What a treat!

112. V says:

Your chocolate tort cake looks delicious. I absolutely love having cakes abroad and prefer this method of making cakes to the American version. I try my best to hunt down the French style bakeries in the area! I’m sure the strawberry jell filling is an excellent taste contrast and surprise when eating this desert :)

Happy Name Day! I really had not ever heard of this tradition (except for Game of Thrones) so glad to get the traditional information. Your tart is exquisite! Hope you catch your breath and enjoy!

116. This looks delicious. Strawberries and dark chocolate go so well together.

118. What a pretty dessert, and the lemon one is very tempting.