Caramelized Onions, Peppers and Cream Cheese Tart

Cream Cheese Pie.JPG

In 1989 I was 19 years old. I was studying economics at the Economic Department of Law School at the Greek University in Athens and at the same time, I was studying business administration and marketing at The American College of Greece. I remember how excited I was about all these new things I was learning and how much happiness gave me the fact that I could study in two totally different educational systems and get as much as I could from both of them.

One day around this time of year, I don’t know how, I discovered I had a lump in my breast. At first, I thought I made a mistake. I started touching it trying to see what this lump was. When I realized that it wasn’t a pimp or a gland, I completely freaked out. I remember sitting at the library thinking one bad scenario after another. I was petrified by the thought that I might have cancer at that young an age. In addition to that, I was trying to decide whether I would say it to my parents or not.

Cream Cheese Pie.JPG

I remember I lived in this nightmare until after Christmas. I can safely say that those Christmas were one of the worse I have ever spent. I thought they were the last. Finally, the logical part of me prevailed and I decided to tell my mom. She took the news ostensibly calmly and she said to me that it was probably nothing, but in any case we should visit a doctor to get a diagnosis.

To make the long story short, we visited a doctor and he confirmed to us that that lump was an adenoma and it was written in my DNA how many of these cuties would grow in my body. Adenomas are non-malignant tumors the number of which is written in our genetic code. After that first one, every year I was discovering yet another one until they reached to number five.

Cream Cheese Pie.JPG

Doctors said to me that in no case do we touch them. We just let them be and we proceed to surgery only in the case that they grow. Also, they said to me that I had to do an ultrasound every two years and after the age of 40 every year. Also, when I was 40 years old I would have to do a mammogram every two years.

I don’t know why, but I followed their instructions with religious devotion. Twenty six years now I have gone through sixteen ultrasounds and four mammograms. In this way I have full control of the situation. I don’t want unpleasant surprises; I don’t want to find myself in the same situation as twenty six years ago. Breast cancer has one of the best prognoses among other types of cancer and if we find it at an early stage is fully cured. I don’t want to preach about it, I just wanted to share my experience and perhaps give some food to thought.

Cream Cheese Pie.JPG

Now you will ask how on earth this story is connected to this delicious savory tart! I went for my biannual appointment to have a mammogram and I bought and ate a similar tart to this one from a deli outside the diagnostic center. I simply loved it and I tried to see what they have put in there. Very simple in conception but so very tasty. So, here I am with a copycat of that tart and all that history behind it. Now that Thanksgiving is approaching this is ideal as a first course and I am sure everyone will love it. Also, as promised I am giving you yet another festive menu idea for the coming feasts.

Cream Cheese Pie.JPG

• 6 tbsp butter or margarine, divided
  • 500 gr. / 17.5 oz. cream cheese
  • 100 gr. / 3.5 heavy cream
  • ½ tsp Italian herbs
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
For the Tart Cell
  1. The previous day or at least three hours before we bake the tart, make the tart cell.
  2. In your mixer add the flour, salt and sugar and mix slightly to combine.
  3. Add the butter or margarine and whisk so as to become crumbles.
  4. Add the egg after you have whisked it a bit and mix again slightly.
  5. Add the water and vinegar and whisk only until everything starts to gather around the paddle.
  6. Take a cling film and wrap the dough tightly.
  7. Put in the fridge and let it rest until its usage.
For the Filling
  1. In a skillet pour 3 tbsp of butter or margarine in medium heat.
  2. Add the onions and sugar and sauté them until they are caramelized.
  3. Towards the end, pour the rum and flambé them (you can add the rum and just let it evaporate if you don’t feel comfortable with setting a fire).
  4. Remove from heat and set aside.
  5. Either on the same skillet or in a different one pour the other 3 tbsp of margarine or butter again on medium heat.
  6. Add the peppers and mushrooms and sauté until they become tender.
  7. Remove and set aside.
  8. While the onions and the peppers sauté, you can make the cream cheese filling.
  9. In a bowl mix the cream cheese, the heavy cream, the herbs and the garlic powder (you can use a garlic clove if you don’t want or don’t have garlic powder).
Assembly
  1. Take the dough out of the fridge and let it stay at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
  2. Take a 25cm / 10 in. tart pan with side width 4cm to 5 cm / 1.5 in to 2 in. and butter it.
  3. With a rolling pin open the dough to a round that has a diameter about 30 cm. /12 in to 32 cm / 12.5 in.
  4. Place the dough in the tart pan and arrange it to fit.
  5. Add the cream cheese and on top arrange the onions and peppers.
  6. Cut the dough that exceeds the edges of the tart pan.
  7. Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
  8. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is done.
  9. Remove from the oven, let it cool and serve.
  10. It can be eaten warm or at room temperature.

Τάρτα με Καραμελωμένα Κρεμμύδια και Τυρί Κρέμα

• 6 κ.σ. βούτυρο ή μαργαρίνη
  • 500 γρ. τυρί κρέμα
  • 100 γρ. κρέμα γάλακτος
  • ½ κ.γ. ιταλικά βότανα
  • ¼ κ.γ. σκόνη σκόρδου
Για τη Ζύμη Τάρτας
  1. Την προηγούμενη ημέρα ή τουλάχιστον τρεις ώρες πριν ψήσετε την τάρτα, φτιάξτε τη ζύμη.
  2. Στο μίξερ σας, προσθέστε το αλεύρι, το αλάτι και τη ζάχαρη και ανακατέψτε ελαφρά.
  3. Προσθέστε το βούτυρο ή τη μαργαρίνη και χτυπήστε ελαφρά ώστε να γίνει σαν θρύψαλα.
  4. Προσθέστε το αυγό, λίγο χτυπημένο και ανακατέψτε και πάλι ελαφρά.
  5. Προσθέστε το νερό και το ξύδι και ανακατέψτε μόνο μέχρι να αρχίσει να συγκεντρώνεται γύρω από το κάπα.
  6. Πάρτε μια μεμβράνη και τυλίξτε τη ζύμη σφιχτά.
  7. Βάλτε στο ψυγείο και αφήστε να ξεκουραστεί μέχρι τη χρήση.
Για την Γέμιση
  1. Σε μια κατσαρόλα, ρίξτε 3 κουταλιές της σούπας βούτυρο ή μαργαρίνη σε χαμηλή φωτιά.
  2. Προσθέστε τα κρεμμυδάκια και τη ζάχαρη και σοτάρετε μέχρι να καραμελώσουν.
  3. Προς το τέλος, ρίξτε το ρούμι και βάλτε φωτιά για να φλαμπαριστούν (μπορείτε να προσθέσετε το ρούμι και απλά αφήστε το να εξατμιστεί αν δεν αισθάνεστε άνετα με τη φωτιά).
  4. Αφαιρέστε από τη φωτιά και βάλτε στην άκρη.
  5. Είτε στο ίδιο τηγάνι είτε σε άλλο βάλτε τις άλλες 3 κουταλιές της σούπας μαργαρίνη ή βούτυρο και πάλι σε μέτρια φωτιά.
  6. Προσθέστε τις πιπεριές και τα μανιτάρια και σοτάρετε μέχρι να μαλακώσουν.
  7. Αφαιρέστε από τη φωτιά και βάλτε στην άκρη.
  8. Όσο σοτάρονται τα κρεμμύδια και οι πιπεριές, μπορείτε να κάνετε την ετοιμασία του τυριού κρέμας.
  9. Σε ένα μπολ ανακατέψτε το τυρί κρέμα, την κρέμα γάλακτος, τα βότανα και το σκόρδο σε σκόνη (μπορείτε να χρησιμοποιήσετε μια σκελίδα σκόρδο, αν δεν θέλετε ή δεν έχετε σκόνη σκόρδου).
Συναρμολόγηση
  1. Βγάλτε τη ζύμη από το ψυγείο και αφήστε τη να μείνει σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου για 10 έως 15 λεπτά.
  2. Πάρτε μια ταρτιέρα με διάμετρο 25cm και ύψος πλαινών 4cm με 5 cm και βουτυρώστε τη.
  3. Με τον πλάστη, ανοίξτε τη ζύμη σε έναν κύκλο που θα έχει διάμετρο περίπου 30 έως 32 cm.
  4. Τοποθετήστε τη ζύμη στην ταρτιέρα και τακτοποιήστε τη.
  5. Απλώστε το τυρί κρέμα και από πάνω τα κρεμμύδια και τις πιπεριές.
  6. Κόψτε τη ζύμη που περισσεύει.
  7. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
  8. Ψήστε για περίπου 30 λεπτά, ή έως ότου ψηθεί η ζύμη της τάρτας.
  9. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο, αφήστε να κρυώσει και σερβίρετε.
  10. Τρώγεται ζεστή ή σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου.

55 Responses to Caramelized Onions, Peppers and Cream Cheese Tart

1. That tart is simply gorgeous!

3. Βασίλης says:

Καλημέρα και καλό μήνα.
    Ουφ, για λίγο με τρόμαξες… όλα καλά.
    Εγώ γιατί βάζω και κοτόπουλο; Πάει φαντάζομαι.

5. Βασίλης says:

Καλημέρα και καλό μήνα :)
    Ουφ, για μια στιγμή με τρόμαξες… όλα καλά.
    Εγώ γιατί βάζω και κοτόπουλο; Εντάξει, πάει φαντάζομαι.

7. This tart is absolutely gorgeous and the flavor combinations are lovely. I’m a huge caramelized onion fan. Can’t wait to try this.

9. Balvinder says:

I have never seen a cake with a jell. This looks so pretty!

11. I would make this caramelized onions peppers and cream cheese tart any day of the week. My family will definitely enjoy this flavorful tart.

13. V says:

This tart looks beautiful and sounds delicious! I love peppers and onions. I will certainly be making this.

15. You poor dear to have to suffer through the unknown at such a young age! I don’t think I would have been as calm as your mother, but that sure was wise of her. So glad to hear all is well! Now that tart looks absolutely amazing! I love all the fresh ingredients you used!

17. Diane Balch says:

I live with the same condition, but in the state they aspirate them with a needle. It nerve racking everything you get another one. At least you have the tart to cheer you up. Pinned. Thanks for bringing this by Weekend Bites.

19. My sister in law made a dish like this but, I never got it from her. It was so delicious as a side dish. I’ll have to try this recipe.Pinning.

21. Winnie says:

Fantastic and super delicious looking tart!!
    Definitely worth pinning

23. nipponnin says:

You’re an amazing cook! People love to be invited to your house for the feast!(me included). Everything look wonderful!

25. Michal says:

That tart looks so good!
    All the good stuff in one dish, excellent!
    Have tweeted this, thanks!

27. Thank was a bumpy ride. Your tart looks delicious. I also like to check out something new after a trip to the doctor.

29. Stephanie says:

Looks amazing! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

Thanks so much for sharing your delicious tart with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back soon!

33. This tart looks delicious! Found you from the link party at Flour me with love…

I’ve heard of adenomas but I had no idea that the number you would develop was written in your genetic code. That’s VERY interesting. So glad that it wasn’t cancer and that you have shown no further complications. Finding a lump is a scary thing. Your tart is just gorgeous! Love the colors and I can easily devour anything made with onion and peppers.

37. I am so RELIEVED to read it wasn’t something serious. This veggie tart looks so colourful and appetizing!

39. Glad you are healthy and I pray that you stay that way :)
    I love savory tarts and this one too has captured my heart.

Dear Katerina, thank you so much for sharing with us your experience. Hopefully, you’ll convince those whi never do check ups to see a doctor… The tart looks fabulous. So colourful and joyful! No wonder you had it on the check-up day 😉

43. Linda says:

Your story is a good one both the one about your good health fortune and discovering the tart. Interestingly, my gourmet group has a caramelized onion/gouda tart on its menu this weekend.

45. Julia says:

Great recipe! Love the roasted peppers! What restaurant have you had the best Cheese Tart? Remember to add it to your Besty List! http://www.thebesty.com/culinaryflavors

47. γεια σου Κατερίνα μου!!!
    έχεις δίκιο, η πρόληψη είναι το παν! έχω κι εγώ την ίδια ιστορία με σένα! κάθε έξι μήνες εξετάσεις, αλλά έτσι είμαι σίγουρη.
    η τάρτα σου είναι εξαιρετική!! όπως ακριβώς μου αρέσουν! θα την δοκιμάσω σίγουρα!!
    σε φιλώ!

49. Maggie says:

Hi Katerina, I found your site through Michelle from Complete Savorist. I just went to Greece for a short trip last month and I loved the Greek cuisine! Can’t wait to try some of the cooking at home.
    By the way, I really like the way to present the recipe in both English and Greek. It’s so convenient for the local reader too. Thanks for the inspiration! :)
    The tart looks healthy and so delicious. Pinned and saved! :)

51. I have several friends who have battled breast cancer and beaten it. But it’s scary. I am glad you are healthy, but I can only imagine what you went through in the beginning. And I’m glad you encountered that yummy tart so you could pull together a copycat recipe! I absolutely love caramelized onions! This looks delicious! I would be honored if you would link it up with us at Foodie Fridays tonight…we go live at 9 pm EST. Pinning and stumbling this wonderful recipe!

53. What a lovely tart! My mother has had a few scares in the past as well. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

55. What a beautiful tart and so perfect for the upcoming holidays. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have had a few scares myself and know some of what you have gone through. I am soooooo happy you are healthy my sweet friend! xoxo

Ολα καλά Κατερίνα μου. Πάντα υπάρχει το πρώτο σοκ για κάτι ξαφνικό που εμφανίζεται. Αλλά η ψυχραιμία και η θετική σκέψη όλα τα διορθώνουν.
    Και φυσικά η πρόληψη και ο τακτικός έλεγχος είναι σωτήρια.

Ωραίες γεύσεις έχει η τάρτα σου.
    Αν και πλούσια σε υλικά η γεύση της με το τυρί κρέμα θα την κάνει ελαφριά.

Φιλιά πολλά

59. Heather Grow says:

Thank you for sharing your story. Your tart sounds so yummy. And, it looks pretty, too.

Wow does this tart look and sound delicious! I would love to give it a try…I’m sure it would be a hit in my house!

Glad you are well, even though when something happens that is not normal to us, it is quite stressful!

Having been through breast cancer at a fairly young age (not as young as you when you had your first scare), I totally understand the fear that gripped you. I’m so glad you found the courage to tell your mother and that everything has been good for you. It’s a good story to tell and every woman should remember and to be vigilant. It’s not as scary as doing nothing.

Lovely tart! I’m impressed with the cafe for serving such a wonderful dish.

65. Kecia says:

This looks so beautiful, colorful and so full of flavor! Lovely recipe Katerina!

67. Balvinder says:

This is a beautiful tart and I love caramelized onions so much!

69. I’m a veggie lover and I must say your recipe looks perfect to me! Really need to give it a try :)

71. I am delighted to hear that you are all clear on your scans!!! Beautiful tart and I am sure your is a million times better than the one that had while waiting for your scan. Love the caramelised onion, pepper and cream cheese combo. Have a super week.

Your tart is very colorful and loaded with flavor, Katerina!I’m glad your ordeal turned out to be nothing, it sounded very scary, especially at such a young age..XOXO

75. Your tart has such wonderful flavours, I love caramelised onions with cream cheese! Beautiful recipe 😀

I can imagine how scared you were back then…it is so interesting that in Greece mammogram is done every other year, ad here we do every year…
    This tart looks delicious in spite of where you tasted it…like the caramelized onion…and homemade crust are the best.
    Have a wonderful week Katerina :)

79. G’day! Absolutely GORGEOUS tart Katerina! Sharing the love today! Pinned
    Cheers! Joanne

81. What a lovely dish! And so happy for your good health :)

83. Wow, this tart is stunning. I love the colorful texture all the vegetables give.

85. Inspiring story and a delish looking recipe! Thanks for sharing. Pinned! :)

87. This looks super yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I can’t wait to make it!

89. It is really awesome that you shared that story with us. Hopefully it will make someone seek out attention instead of keeping it a horrible secret. No one wants to hear bad news but the sooner it could be caught the better. Glad all is OK in your case. And wow gorgeous festive tart, so colorful.

91. Katerina,
    I am so glad you are well and how awfully scared you must have been. The tart is stunning – just gorgeous and looks to die for delicious.

It’s interesting to read how different cultures deal with medical issues. I studied comparative health for a while, comparing how health is viewed and treated here, in Europe, and in Asia.

In the US, we remove all “tumors” (fatty cysts remain) regardless of their malignancy.

95. Εξαιρετική δείχνει Κατερίνα!
    Λατρεύω τα υλικά και τα χρώματα!
    Αγαπημένα λαχανικά και το τυρί κρέμα που πάντα δίνει μια απίστευτη υφή οπουδήποτε και αν προστεθεί!

I am glad that you are healthy, Katerina!
    Personally I am trying not to see any doctors as I am hypohondric a bit

99. Hey sweetie! Sorry to hear about your health adventures but I’m glad it turned out to be under control. You are absolutely right, the best way to defend from these deseases is early detection. You have responded to the situation very well, I admire you. The tart looks fantastic by the way. No wonder you remembered its taste after so many years 😉 Filakia!

101. Sues says:

I’m glad you’re healthy!! This tart looks absolutely perfect!

Η πρόληψη θεωρείται σωτήρια σε κάποιες περιπτώσεις, η αναστάτωση που φέρνει σε νεαρές ηλικίες είναι φθοροποιός αλλά δεν υπάρχει άλλος δρόμος.
    Έχω ζήσει παρόμοιες καταστάσεις και σε καταλαβαίνω.
    Τέλος καλό όλα καλά όμως και πάμε να απολαύσουμε την υπέροχη τάρτα σου σύντομα.
    Πολλά φιλιά

105. Ωραια χρώματα!

Have a great start of the week :)

107. If this was on the menu I would definitely choose it. This looks and sounds so good. I definitely want to try this.