Pan Seared Scallops with Apple Cider Cream

Apple Cider Scallops.JPG

I am sure you all know Aphrodite, the goddess of beauty. Aphrodite, according to myth, was born in the sea. Story says that Zeus’ father, Kronos in order to take the rule from his father Uranus, cut his genitals and threw them in the sea. They fell close to a Greek island called Kithira. At that point huge foam was created and with the help of Zephyrus wind it traveled all the way to Cyprus. There, at the beautiful coast of Pafos, Aphrodite emerged from the sea.

Ores, the seasons of the year, welcomed her, dressed her with beautiful dresses of silk and gave her jewels to wear in her ears, neck and hands. She then was presented in front of gods in mount Olympus. Everyone was astonished by her beauty. Especially male gods were complementing her with a view to making her their wife. Eventually, as oxymoron as it may sound, this beauty became the lawful wife of the ugly handicapped Hephaestus.

Apple Cider Scallops.JPG

Nevertheless, a marriage was not enough to keep the beautiful goddess from creating other extracurricular affairs with several gods and mortals with the most famous of all being that with Mars the god of war with which she gave birth to several children. The most famous of them was cupid who followed her everywhere.

Sandro Botticelli depicted the birth of Aphrodite in his famous painting La nascita di Venere. In this painting the goddess is shown to stand on a seashell. The wind waves her hair and Ores are running to dress her.

Apple Cider Scallops.JPG

Aphrodite was the one who promised Paris to give him the most beautiful mortal woman on earth, if he gave to her the apple that had a scripture “to the most beautiful one” and this is how Trojan War has started.

I don’t know if it is me, but I saw a connection between apples and scallops. Aphrodite on the seashell, Paris gave the apple to Aphrodite, there it is, that bond between these two ingredients. And this is how this dish was created. I saw the painting in a site and suddenly I remembered the myth and one thing led to the other and I thought it would be a great idea to make a dish with the both of them. I also happened to find scallops in my local store after a very long time and I didn’t want to pass this opportunity.

Apple Cider Scallops.JPG

I loved every bite of this dish. The sauce was rich and hearty, the scallops were juicy and soft, the apples were crunchy and sweet and I had a bunch of shrimps in my freezer so added them too because my parents came over for lunch so I had to double the recipe.

I paired them with spaghetti and it was pure heaven. You can also put cauliflower or broccoli next to them or even mashed potatoes, I am sure they will taste equally great! The recipe is for 5 people but you can easily half it or double it. The analogy in ingredients is not as strict.

Apple Cider Scallops.JPG

Pan Seared Scallops with Apple Cider Cream

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Main Course
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: International
  • 500 gr. / 18 oz. spaghetti pasta
  • 800 gr. / 28 oz. scallops
  • 400 gr. / 14 oz. shrimps
  • 330 gr. / 12 oz. apple cider
  • 400 ml / 14 fl oz. light cream 15%
  • 2 apples cut in little cubes
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Salt and pepper (I put 2 tsp salt)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • ½ tsp dried thyme
  1. Take a big skillet.
  2. Add couple of tbsp of olive oil and sauté the scallops and shrimps in medium/high heat until they take a nice golden color on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side.
  3. Remove and put aside.
  4. In the same skillet add the onion and garlic and sauté until they become soft about 3 minutes.
  5. Pour the apple cider and deglaze the pan.
  6. Let boil for a minute and add the cream.
  7. Lower the fire to low and add salt and pepper and all the other herbs.
  8. Let it simmer while you prepare the apples.
  9. Take another skillet add the apples, 1 tbsp of sugar and ½ cup of water.
  10. Let them boil in medium/high heat until they are soft.
  11. If they need more water add by ¼ of cup.
  12. Once all liquid is evaporated and the apples are ready throw them in the apple cider/cream pan and incorporate.
  13. About three minutes before the end throw the scallops and shrimps and whisk gently to incorporate.
  14. If the cream is watery, add 1 tsp of corn starch dissolved in one tsp of water.
  15. If on the other hand is thick add ½ cup boiling water from the pasta.
  16. Prepare pasta according to your liking and either throw it into the sauce skillet and toss or serve in plates and above it add the scallops and sauce. Either way it is super tasty!

Μακαρονάδα με Χτένια και Μηλίτη

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Κυρίως Πιάτο
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Διεθνής
  • 500 γρ. Σπαγγέτι
  • 800 γρ. χτένια
  • 400 γρ. γαρίδες
  • 330 γρ. μηλίτη
  • 400 ml κρέμα γάλακτος 15%
  • 2 μήλα κομμένα σε κύβους
  • 1 κ.σ. ζάχαρη
  • 1 μικρό κρεμμύδι, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 1 σκελίδα σκόρδο, κιμά
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι (έβαλα 2 κ.γ. αλάτι)
  • 1 κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • 1 κ.γ. ξερό βασιλικό
  • ½ κ.γ. ξερό θυμάρι
  1. Πάρτε ένα μεγάλο τηγάνι.
  2. Προσθέστε δύο κουταλιές της σούπας ελαιόλαδο και σοτάρετε τα χτένια και τις γαρίδες σε μέτρια/υψηλή θερμοκρασία μέχρι να πάρουν ένα ωραίο χρυσό χρώμα και από τις δύο πλευρές, περίπου 2 λεπτά ανά πλευρά.
  3. Αφαιρέστε και βάλτε στην άκρη.
  4. Στην ίδια κατσαρόλα προσθέστε το κρεμμύδι και το σκόρδο και σοτάρετε μέχρι να μαλακώσουν περίπου 3 λεπτά.
  5. Ρίξτε το μηλίτη και ξύστε με μία σπατουλίτσα το τηγάνι να καθαρίσει.
  6. Βράστε για ένα λεπτό και προσθέστε την κρέμα γάλακτος.
  7. Χαμηλώστε τη φωτιά στο χαμηλό και προσθέστε αλάτι και πιπέρι και όλα τα άλλα βότανα.
  8. Αφήστε να σιγοβράσουν ενώ προετοιμάζετε τα μήλα.
  9. Πάρτε ένα άλλο τηγάνι προσθέστε τα μήλα, 1 κουταλιά της σούπας ζάχαρη και ½ φλιτζάνι νερό.
  10. Αφήστε να βράσουν σε μέτρια/υψηλή θερμοκρασία έως ότου μαλακώσουν.
  11. Αν χρειάζεται περισσότερο νερό, προσθέστε ¼ της κούπας.
  12. Μόλις όλα τα υγρά εξατμιστούν και τα μήλα είναι έτοιμα ρίξτε τα στο τηγάνι με την κρέμα και ανακατέψτε ελαφρά.
  13. Περίπου τρία λεπτά πριν από το τέλος ρίξτε τα χτένια και τις γαρίδες και ανακατέψτε απαλά να ενσωματωθούν.
  14. Εάν η κρέμα είναι υδαρής, προσθέστε 1 κ.γ. κορν φλάουρ διαλυμένο σε ένα κ.γ. νερό. Αν πάλι είναι πολύ σφιχτή βάλτε ½ φλ. νερό από αυτό που βράζουν τα μακαρόνια.
  15. Ετοιμάστε τα ζυμαρικά σύμφωνα με τις προτιμήσεις σας και είτε ρίξτε τα στην κατσαρόλα με τη σάλτσα και ανακατέψτε ή σερβίρετε τη μακαρονάδα σε πιάτα και πάνω από αυτή, προσθέστε τα χτένια και τη σάλτσα. Είτε έτσι είτε αλλιώς είναι εξαιρετικά νόστιμο!

49 Responses to Pan Seared Scallops with Apple Cider Cream

1. Reading your story of Aphrodite gives me a small pang of of longing for my former profession, teaching world history, mythology and literature. Sigh… But these scallops look utterly amazing.

3. Botticelli’s Aphrodite is one of my favorite paintings and I love how you created this delicious dish inspired by it. Cooking is indeed an art form!!!

5. I love this recipe! This looks so delicious and such great flavor. Your ingredients are the perfect blend of flavors…thanks for sharing!

OMG – you came up with this based on Aphrodite in a seashell? What a creative mind you have! What an awesome meal! This is going down on my menu and I’ll be making it no matter how much I have to pay for scallops! Thanks for this fabulous recipe!

9. I love to see apple recipes in the fall, will give this a try!

11. We LOVE scallops so I’m excited to try the apple cider cream! We have never tried this kind of sauce with the scallops, so this will be a wonderful recipe to try!

13. Scallops are one of my fave seafoods. This will be on my “to do” list for sure. Thanks for bringing it to our #theWeekendSocial. :)

15. damn delicious!!!
    succulent charred scallop with tangy and creamy sauce, just perfect!

What a creative idea to put apple cider into the creamy sauce with scallops! They look fantastic, Katerina! And I totally agree: great minds think alike 😉

Katerina…fun post! Your scallops and apple cider cream sauce is utterly delicious looking! I have to give this one a try…it would make my family quite happy!

Hi Katerina,
    We love Scallops and your Apple Cider Cream look delicious,can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing this post with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great day!

23. Katerina, this recipe is on my must do list. It looks so delicious and rich. Pinning it so can make it later. Take care, BAM

What a delicious combination, Katerina! I know I would love this meal as well.

27. I love the history of this dish … and I can’t wait to make it! Glad I found this on Foodie Fridays – thanks.

29. Your creamy apple cider sauce is a perfect complement to tender scallops. This dish looks scrumptious!

31. I am so excited you linked this up with us at Foodie Fridays…I have thinking about your recipe ever since I saw it! It looks absolutely amazing!!

Hi Katerina:)

I love that you include these little stories with your posts. The Birth of Venus is especially fascinating as is this lovely dish you have set before us. I’m sure your family was as pleased in enjoying it as we are having you share it with us.

The combination of flavors is so enticing. I can just imagine how sensuous the flavor must be. I must try this dish, Katerina and I thank you so much for sharing your creativity and inspiration with us…

35. These scallops look amazing! I can imagine that cooking them in vinegar brings out the flavor while keeping them tender.

YUM! i’ve never had scallops with a sauce like this but it sounds just marvelous! what a beautiful plate. :)

39. gloria says:

Look absolñutely delicious! I love it!!

41. Looks delicious! I never would have thought of pairing scallops and apple cider.

43. Oops, I meant have a nice day, not happy anniversary sorry. But why not 😉

45. I love sea scallops and your recipe looks very tasty. Congrats on the good job and Happy 1st Anniversary :)

That apple cider cream? I want to drink it!

49. This recipe is really beautiful. I love the look of those lovely seared scallops and that apple cider cream sauce looks and sounds divine!

51. What a wonderful way to use some of the apples in our orchard. We love scallops and I cook them often…I can’t wait to try your recipe.

53. That was a beautiful story. Great idea to pair scallops with apple cider vinegar.

55. I never heard the story for the birth of Aphrodite, a great one. And scallops is on my top 3 favorite seafood. The dish is gorgeous and great with the note of apples.

57. I absolutely love scallops and I cannot wait to try this recipe!! It looks amazing! Pinning and sharing!

59. Kecia says:

I cannot express how wonderful this looks to me! I love the flavors in this dish!

The apple cider cream sounds delicious Katerina…I love scallops, and can only imagine how awesome this dish is…
    Hope you are enjoying your week dear 😀

63. Pan Seared Scallops with Apple Cider Cream not only sounds delicious, it looks stunning! I am definitely in love with this idea!!!

65. Oh delish! Can’t remember when last I had scallops. I especially love those huge bay scallops. Your story made me smile.

I love scallops (shrimp, too), so this dish sounds spectacular! What a gourmet meal!

69. Scallops are one of my fave seafoods. Your version looks amazing. Pinned

71. Wow – this dish is so pretty and looks so good. I adore scallops, but I’ve never had them made with apple flavors before. It sounds wonderful.

73. I am a big fan of scallops this looks delicious! And the apple cider cream’s sweetness would be wonderful!

75. nipponnin says:

What a story! And the dish is very unique with apple cider and cut up apples. I’m very curious of the taste.

77. What a beautiful fall dish Katerina. I love that you added chopped apples and cider!

79. τα χτένια μου αρέσουν πολύ, αλλά για ένα περίεργο λόγο δεν τα έχω μαγειρέψει ποτέ στο σπίτι… μόνο σε εστιατόρια τα τρώω μέχρι τώρα..
    η συνταγή σου κατερίνα μου φαίνεται πεντανόστιμη!! με προκαλείς να τα φτιάξω!!! :)
    φιλιά!!!

81. This is definitely mouth-watering!! I would totally eat this NOW! YUM!

83. Mila says:

I love scallops, they are very tender and tasty! And what a great sauce recipe! :)

85. I love how you interwove the story of Aphrodite. Love scallops and this sounds so delicious and looks it too!

87. G’day and great recipe! I have some scallops to use up and this is the perfect way to try your dish which looks delish too!
    Cheers! Joanne

89. I too love meaty tender scallops. The creamy apple cider sauce would go lovely with chicken too.

91. This sounds so good! I love scallops so this is a new recipe I can try.

I’m not a huge fan of scallops, but this is lovely.

95. Μα τι λες τώρα, υατο το πιάτο σου πρέπει να είναι λουκούμι!

You can find a Greek myth for each recipe:)The dish looks very good!