Feta and Olive Twirlos

Feta & Olives Twirlos.JPG

The myth says that the first name of Athens was Akte or Aktike, named after its first king Akteos.

When Kecrops succeeded Akteos by marrying his daughter, he wanted to change the name of the city and thus he performed a competition among gods as to who will give his or her name to the city. Two gods made it to the last round; Poseidon, brother of Zeus and god of sea and sea creatures and Athena, beloved daughter of Zeus and goddess of wisdom. Zeus, who was caught in the middle of all this and in order to avoid any violent encounter between the two, decided that each one of them would make a gift to the city and its citizens would choose which one is better and subsequently which god will render his or her name to the city.

Feta & Olives Twirlos.JPG

Competition took place in the rock of Acropolis and both citizens and gods have gathered to see what the end result would be. Poseidon struck the rock with his trident and a spring of salted water gushed up. With this blow a horse was leaped also ready to serve its lord faithfully. All this was interpreted as help from the side of the Poseidon to succeed in war at the sea.

Athena, on the other hand, dropped a seed that immediately turned into an olive tree, symbolizing the fruits of piece wisdom and the precious nutritional value of olives and olive oil.

Feta & Olives Twirlos.JPG

It was a difficult struggle and both gods were equally powerful and their gifts appealed to different target groups. Legend says that men voted for Poseidon, whereas women voted for Athena. Because there was one woman more than men, goddess Athena’s gift was selected and therefore the city was named Athens. Parthenon and many other monuments were built to honor the goddess and many games and rituals took place to honor her.

Olive tree has become a vital part of the ancient Greek diet and continues to be a very important part of our diet today. Greece has the highest consumption of olive oil per capita and it is an indispensable part of our everyday cooking. The same stands for olives.

Feta & Olives Twirlos.JPG

“Greek-style black olives, Spanish-style green olives, Kalamata-style olives, and many different methods of olive preparation provide us with valuable amounts of many different antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients. Hydroxytyrosol, an olive phytonutrient that has long been linked to cancer prevention, is now regarded as having the potential to help us prevent bone loss as well. Several recent laboratory animal studies have found increased depositing of calcium in bone and decreased loss of total bone mass following consumption of this olive phytonutrient (as well as oleuropein, another key phytonutrient found in olives). These findings are fascinating, since consumption of a Mediterranean Diet has long been associated with decreased risk of osteoporosis, and olives often find themselves on center stage in Mediterranean Diet studies.”

(Source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=46)

Feta & Olives Twirlos.JPG

I can tell you one thing; I cannot possibly live without olive oil or olives. And this stands not only for me but also for the majority of Greeks, who learn to eat them from a very young an age. It is only natural for me to try and create as many things as possible with these both. I saw these twirlos in a recipe site, I cannot recall right now, but they were made with bacon and yellow cheese which were perfectly fine. I liked the idea but I wanted something vegetarian and healthy to give my son at school, my husband at work and for me to take at work as well. So, I kept the shape but followed a recipe of mine for the bread and for the filling I improvised! It was awesome and definitely healthier. If you want something light, healthy but still filling and tasty then I urge you to try this one. You will be filled with good energy and you will have eaten a healthy, nutritious snack.

Feta & Olives Twirlos.JPG

• 60 gr. / 2 oz. green olives, pitted and chopped
  • 150 gr. / 5 oz. yellow cheese I used Edam, grated
  • 150 gr. / 5 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
  • 2 tsp. sugar to counterbalance the acidity of the feta and the olives
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  1. In the mixer put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Pour the water and start mixing for about 10 minutes until the smooth ball is gathered around the hook.
  2. Take a bowl and oil it. Place the dough either in a warm place or in the oven for an hour.
  3. After the hour has passed deflate the dough and with a pining roll make a rectangular 40cm X 35cm / 16 in. X 14 in.
  4. Preheat oven to 200° C / 400° F.
  5. Spread the yellow cheese, then the feta cheese and finally the chopped olives.
  6. Sprinkle with the sugar, oregano and basil and start rolling carefully the dough as in the pictures.
  7. When you finish seal the seams and give it a rounded shape.
  8. Join the two ends and seal them.
  9. Place it on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until it has taken a deep brown color on top.
  10. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Γεμιστό Ψωμί με Φέτα και Ελιές

• 60 γρ. πράσινες ελιές, χωρίς κουκούτσι και ψιλοκομμένες
  • 150 γρ. κίτρινο τυρί edam ή όποιο άλλο, τριμμένο
  • 150 γρ. φέτα τριμμένη
  • 2 κ.γ. ζάχαρη για να αντισταθμίσει την οξύτητα της φέτας και των ελιών
  • 2 κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • 1 κ.γ. ξερό βασιλικό
  1. Βάλτε το αλεύρι, τη μαγιά, τη ζάχαρη και το αλάτι στον κάδο του μίξερ.
  2. Ρίξτε το νερό και ξεκινήστε το ανακάτεμα με το γάντζο για περίπου 10 λεπτά έως ότου η ζύμη γίνει μια λεία μπάλα και συγκεντρωθει γύρω από το γάντζο.
  3. Αλείψτε ένα μπωλ με λάδι.
  4. Τοποθετήστε τη ζύμη σε ζεστό χώρο για μια ώρα.
  5. Αφού έχει περάσει η ώρα ζυμώστε για ένα λεπτό με τον πλάστη ανοίξτε μια ορθογώνια ζύμη 40 cm X 35 cm.
  6. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
  7. Απλώστε το κίτρινο τυρί, τη φέτα και τέλος, τις ψιλοκομμένες ελιές.
  8. Πασπαλίστε με τη ζάχαρη, τη ρίγανη και το βασιλικό και αρχίστε να ρολάρετε προσεκτικά τη ζύμη όπως στις εικόνες.
  9. Όταν φτάσετε στο τέλος τσιμπήστε για να ασφαλίσετε τις ραφές της ζύμης.
  10. Ενώστε τις δύο άκρες και ασφαλίστε τις πιέζοντάς τες.
  11. Βάλτε σε ένα ταψί καλυμμένο με λαδόκολλα και ψήστε για περίπου 20 έως 30 λεπτά, ή ώσπου να πάρει χρώμα.
  12. Σερβίρετε το ζεστό ή σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου.

55 Responses to Feta and Olive Twirlos

This is gorgeous!! Your pictures certainly sell it as being freakin delicious!

3. Stephanie says:

This looks so good! And beautiful too!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

5. Diane Balch says:

Just wanted to let you know that your recipe is being featured on Weekend Bites. I will be pinning and tweeting it this week too.

7. Diane Balch says:

Not only is this delicious it makes such a gorgeous presentation. Pinned. Thanks for bringing this to Weekend Bites.

9. Goodness, you are making me hungry and I have to hop into bed! Late here! That is a masterpiece! Have a great week, Katerina. :)

I am going to try to make this for the holidays, it looks awesome. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Full Plate Thursday!

13. nipponnin says:

So neat looking! I would like to make this when I throw a party…people go Wow! right? You’re amazing cook!

15. Simi Jois says:

Absolutely GORGEOUS!! Am going to try baking this with indian spices and mashed potatoes . Am solo excited to have found this recipe, thanks so much for sharing. instant love!

17. Wow, this looks so good , I know what I will be making for dinner today :)
    Thanks for the inspiration.

19. What a show-stopper dish! It would surely impress anyone lucky enough to share it.

21. Corina says:

This looks beautiful – I love how the filling is just oozing out.

23. Hey Katerina, I think your recipe would be a show stopper at any party. Nice to see it at ours! 😉 I’ve pinned, of course!

25. Great combo and looks appetizing!

this is SO pretty and literally bursting with good stuff!

Beautiful and I’ll bet equally delicious, Katerina! It does look so professional too. This would be wonderful for a large gathering as an appetizer. Can’t wait to try it.

Amazing bread, Katerina!!! Very impressive to look at and a very yummy blend of ingredients!!Have a great weekend,XOXO

33. flggy says:

I made this recipe today and it’s excellent! My husband thought I bought it at the store! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

35. Debbie says:

Really this is amazing.
    This twirlo shape is new to me and seems very delicious and stunning for a nice gathering. Will be trying it soon.
    Thanks.

OMG Katerina, I am ready to go to bed and after seeing this twirl I am hungry again…I love everything in the filling…looks so good. Beautifully done dear!

39. I love these twirlos, what an awesome idea! Feta and olive are made for it 😀
    Delicious! I need to try this one day!

Oh Katerina,
    Every time I read one of your post where you share Greek Mythology I wish that I could show it to my grandaughter. (she’s eleven) She is fascinated with Greek Mythology and of course all things food! She loves olives too:)

My daughter is very strict about her going on the internet so I can’t send her this link but I may just copy it into an email and send it off to her that way:)

Thank you so much for sharing the story Katerina and of course for that gorgeous, heavenly, delicious looking bread which I wish I could have a hunk of, lol…

• Louise says:

Hi Katerina,
      I thought you might like to see the email I received from my grand-daughter after I emailed her this post with the gorgeous looking pictures of course:)

Dear Grammy,
      Thank u for sending me this story and
      Recipe. Tell Katerina thank u as well.
      It was very interesting!

43. I love this! Sounds wonderful!

45. I love this! Looks and sounds amazing!

47. Kecia says:

I can’t stand it! This looks so good! I just want to eat the whole thing myself! I love olives and feta!

So much salty carb-filled deliciousness! I love it.

51. It looks absolutely amazing!!

53. there is so much to learn and recipes that always make us hungry…. every time we visit this adorable blog….these twirlos with feta are just calling to try them out over the weekend,thanks :-)

55. G’day This looks delish and is now on my list! Thank you!
    Cheers! Joanne

57. GiGi Eats says:

This thing is EXPLODING!!! Quick, shove it in your mouth before it makes a mess 😉

PS: I AM OBSESSED WITH MYTHOLOGY!! A little known secret about me! lol

59. Hadia says:

Katerina, this is a piece of art. I am pretty sure it tastes just as it looks.

61. I have never heard of twirlos before… so pretty and flavorful! Thank you again for helping to educate us about authentic foods of your country!

63. Κατερίνα μου είναι πραγματικά πολύ εντυπωσιακό και σίγουρα πεντανόστιμο.Η γέμιση καταπληκτική!!!
    Φιλιά πολλά!!!

65. What a fantastic looking dish here, it is right up my alley! Thanks for the beautiful dish; I happen to love all things feta and olives!

67. I love this combo and would LOVE this Katerina!!!

69. Καλημερα!
    Φαινεται τοσο λαχταριστό.
    Και ναι μπορω να ζησω μονο με λάδι, ε και λιγο ψωμακι αντε και λίγη φέτα με ντοματούλα :)

71. Your olive feta creation looks amazing! How fun would that be for a party!

73. Cool, I already new that story. Love it. And wow on your Twirlos bread, it looks jam packed with goodness.

What a gorgeous loaf! All that oozing cheese is irresistible!!!

77. Wow, that looks incredibly delicious!!

What a beautiful and tempting dish, Katerina! I cannot take my eyes off it! I can already imagine it served with a salad as a full meal… or as a snack… or breakfast… In short, one more of your recipes is bookmarked! Thank you so much for constant inspiration.

All I can say is, Wow! This bread is stunning…love the flavors of feta and olives! I guess I should add it to my baking list.

83. Wow! This is amazing! I am not usually a big fan of olives, in fact I didn’t eat them at all as a child, but recently I’m better friends with them. Your recipe looks so yummy that even a difficult customer like me is drooling now in front of the laptop screen 😉 Καλή εβδομάδα Κατερινάκι, φιλιά!

85. μια λέξη του ταιριάζει: εντυπωσιακό!!!!
    και άλλη μια: μυρωδάτο!!
    άσε, σιγά-σιγά μου έρχονται κι άλλες και θα γράφω όλη νύχτα!
    απίθανο κατερίνα μου!!
    καλό βράδυ!

Athena has always been one of my favorites (and so has olive oil)

89. Wow! This is a stunner! Really love the flavors of olive and feta together!

91. Θα συμφωνήσω μαζί σου Κατερίνα μου, μπορώ να στερηθώ το κρέας, τα γλυκά και πάρα πολλά ακόμα υλικά ή φαγητά, αλλά το ελαιόλαδο ποτέ!
    Το γεμιστό σου ψωμάκι δείχνει πολύ λαχταριστό με τη γέμιση να ξεχύνεται από μέσα του!
    Ότι πρέπει νομίζω για μια εκδρομούλα ή πικ-νικ!

93. My husband would love this olive and feta bread. A delicious treat!

95. Κατερίνα says:

Καλή βδομάδα.
    Θαυμάσια ιδέα. Νόστιμο και υγιεινό. Νομίζω πως θα του πήγαινε και λίγη ντοματούλα μέσα. Όλη η μεσόγειος στο πιάτο :)

97. This looks and sounds so good. I love olives and feta so I must try your recipe. Yum yum.

99. kiki says:

Κατερίνα με έστειλες μεσημεριάτικα! Και πεινάω, και δείχνει υπέροχο και έχω αδυναμία στις ζύμες! Πολύ καλή παρουσίαση!!!

101. The cheese olive filling looks so so good!

103. My goodness Katerina mou, this looks mouth watering, I can literally reach right in!! Beautiful as always my friend! ♥

It looks very complicated but reading the instructions make me feel I could try myself:)

Τι είναι αυτό πρωί πρωί!!
    Καλημέρα και καλή εβδομάδα