No Machine, no Eggs Chocolate Ice Cream

No Machine Chocolate Ice Cream.JPG

The first testimonies regarding ice cream fall very much behind time in the depths of Asia and most particularly in China. Ice cream was first produced there around 2000 BC from slightly boiled rice, herbs and milk that were left on snow to coagulate.

The most popular legend of how ice cream became known to Europe refers to Marco Polo (1254-1324), who saw how ice cream was prepared during his trips in China. He was believed to have brought the idea back on his return to Italy. In 1533, Catherine de Medici married Henry II of France and she introduced a frozen dessert made from a sweet cream. Ice cream, in the beginning, was consumed exclusively by wealthy people and this because it was very expensive to preserve ice in the summer. Around 1560, a Spanish physician practicing medicine in Rome, Blasius Villafranca, discovered that by adding potassium nitrate to ice and snow, the freezing point would be reached much quicker.

No Machine Chocolate Ice Cream.JPG

“The technique of producing ice cream made with milk and eggs began in France in the mid-18th century. Americans first tasted ice cream in 1800. In the 19th century, industrial production of ice cream became much easier with the introduction of the ice cream machine in 1843 in England and America. Ice cream spread in England and America thanks to Italian immigrants selling ice cream on the street.” (Source: Wikipedia)

In Greece, ice cream was first introduced in 1835 in one of the social galas of the Bavarian Prime Minister of Greece, Armansperg.

No Machine Chocolate Ice Cream.JPG

An Italian called Kalvo, who was a hotel manager in Athens was about to open a pastry shop and in order to promote his store, he asked the countess Armansperg if she could let him make ice creams for her guests. Of course she accepted with pleasure since that would be the clue of the night, very innovative and pioneering. Definitely something the whole high society of Athens would talk about for days.

All guests were so much impressed and excited by this new delicacy and countess Armansperg advertised the new, talented pastry shop. Nevertheless, as time was passing by, guests started to leave the ballroom in a hurry. They were trying to find a dark corner or went to the garden to vomit.

No Machine Chocolate Ice Cream.JPG

Kalvo in his attempt to impress with his ice creams, he used chemical colors instead of vegetal ones. All the guests who ate those ice creams were food poisoned. The dance went up in smoke and people were trying to get medical assistance. Of course Kalvo disappeared from Athens until the incident was well forgotten.

Later on another pastry shop has opened in Athens and this time ice cream became huge success without the unfortunate results of the first time! (Source:  adapted from “O mikros Romios” , article written by Lefteris Skiadas)

No Machine Chocolate Ice Cream.JPG

I wanted something quick, with no machine involved and no eggs! This recipe comes from an old book of my mother’s and it was so tasty you cannot believe! Very easy to make, very fast but most of all very tasty!

Morfat is a vegetal cream that is packed in metallic can in the s/m shelves and not in the fridge. I am sure you all can find something similar in your countries.

No Machine Chocolate Ice Cream.JPG

No Machine, no Eggs Chocolate Ice Cream

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ice Cream
  • 1 can or 200 gr. / 7 oz. Morfat vegetal cream
  • 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 can or 400 gr. / 14 oz. evaporated milk
  • 1 tbsp black rum (if you don’t want to use rum you can add 1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 180 gr. / 6.5 oz. semisweet chocolate 60% cocoa, chopped
  1. In a glass bowl place the milk and put it in the microwave oven until it becomes very hot, just before it starts to bubble.
  2. Throw the chopped chocolate and whisk until all chocolate is melted and incorporated to the milk.
  3. Put aside and let it cool down.
  4. When the chocolate mixture is ready, take the vegetal cream and throw it in your mixer’s bowl.
  5. Whisk with the wire tool until it doubles in size and become fluffy.
  6. Add the sugar, the rum and the chocolate and continue to whisk until you get a smooth even in texture mixture.
  7. Pour it in a glass container and place it in the freezer for at least two hours.
  8. Your ice cream is ready.
Recipe adapted from Sofia Skoura's book Greek Kitchen

Εύκολο και Γρήγορο Παγωτό Σοκολάτα χωρίς Μηχανή και Αυγά

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Παγωτό
  • 1 κουτί Morfat φυτική κρέμα
  • 1 φλ. άχνη ζάχαρη
  • 1 κουτί γάλα εβαπορέ
  • 1 κ.σ. μαύρο ρούμι (αν δεν θέλετε να χρησιμοποιήσετε ρούμι μπορείτε να προσθέσετε 1 κ.γ. απόσταγμα βανίλιας ή δύο βανιλλίνες)
  • 180 γρ. σοκολάτα κουβερτούρα, ψιλοκομμένη
  1. Οδηγίες
  2. Σε ένα γυάλινο μπολ ρίξτε το γάλα και βάλτε το στο φούρνο μικροκυμάτων μέχρι να γίνει πολύ καυτό, λίγο πριν αρχίσει να βράζει.
  3. Ρίξτε τη σοκολάτα και χτυπήστε, έως ότου η σοκολάτα λιώσει και ενσωματωθεί με το γάλα.
  4. Βάλτε στην άκρη και αφήστε το να κρυώσει.
  5. Όταν το μίγμα της σοκολάτας είναι έτοιμο, πάρτε την φυτική κρέμα και ρίξτε τη στο μπολ του μίξερ σας.
  6. Χτυπήστε με το σύρμα μέχρι να διπλασιαστεί σε μέγεθος και να γίνει αφράτη.
  7. Προσθέστε τη ζάχαρη, το ρούμι και τη σοκολάτα και συνεχίστε να ανακατεύετε μέχρι το μίγμα σας να αποκτήσει μια ομοιόμορφη υφή.
  8. Ρίξτε το σε ένα γυάλινο δοχείο και τοποθετήστε το στην κατάψυξη για τουλάχιστον δύο ώρες.
  9. Το παγωτό σας είναι έτοιμο.
Συνταγή προσαρμογή από το βιβλίο της Σοφίας Σκούρα Ελληνική Κουζίνα

42 Responses to No Machine, no Eggs Chocolate Ice Cream

1. That is so good looking ice cream! I’ve never heard of vegetal cream, it must be a European thing.

3. This looks absolutely sinful!!

5. Carol says:

Oh I really like that no machine is needed. I’m featuring when my link party opens up tonight.

7. Diane Balch says:

I would have never guessed that ice cream came from China… really neat history. Great looking recipe. Pinned.

9. This sounds delish, and your photos are gorgeous. Pinning to try soon. Found on Tuesdays Table. Thanks for sharing.

11. G’day! This looks delish and great photos as always!
    Cheers! Joanne

13. Kecia says:

I love ice cream! The best part is no machine! I love the history included in this post, too!

15. Thanks for coming and linking up at #The Weekend Social. Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on KitchenDreaming.com ! I hope to see you there!

this looks sooo creamy and chocolatey! what a revelation, katerina. lovely presentation too. :)

19. Debi says:

Lovely! Makes me want to make ice cream this very second!

21. Looks delish! Pinned this on my Moms HEART Chocolate board on Pinterest!
    Stopped by from SITS.

23. While I do have an ice cream maker, plenty of my readers don’t. I love that your chocolate ice cream recipe requires NO machine!

25. Jennie says:

Yumm! I love ice cream and this looks like a great recipe!
    – Jennie
    Come join my linkup and share!

Delicious and very easy, Katerina!!!Very interesting story on the origin of ice cream, I can definitely sigh with relief for not having attended that first party…lol..Have a great weekend, XOXO

29. Aunt Bee says:

Absolutely drooling at this chocolate ice cream picture and recipe! Wonderful!

31. No machine ice cream is great! I have an ice cream machine but a lot of people don’t want to invest on seasonal treats (I eat ice cream all year around tho haha). Your ice cream shot looks so delicious. May I have one (or a few)? :)

33. Susie Gall says:

Looks so delicious and I love anything chocolate. I also love that this recipe is no-bake. Thanks for sharing.

35. I love chocolate everything and ice cream is no exception. Looks so creamy and tasty. I love this no-churn recipe!

37. Wow Katerina…So decadently delicious!!!

39. Shelby says:

This looks so creamy and delicious! I am not a sure what to compare your cream to here in the states?

So decadent and delicious!!

43. You and I have been ice cream moods at the same time! Chocolate ice cream is my absolute favorite and yours looks so “decadently delish!” And I love that you can make it without a machine!…

45. Mila says:

Who doesn’t love ice cream! Gorgeous photos! :)

Your ice cream looks so rich and decadent! And so nice that it doesn’t require an ice cream maker!

49. Chocolate ice cream is a favorite of mine! This looks so simple and so delicious! thanks for the great recipe!

Great recipe Katerina…looks really good especially with no eggs…
    Hope you are enjoying your week dear 😀

53. I love chocolate ice cream! I must find some time and try this!

Interesting and amusing story, Katerina!
    I’ve never heard of Morfat vegetal cream! But your ice cream looks delicious!

57. Looks sinfully decadent! So creamy that I can’t believe it doesn’t include eggs at all. Excellent!

59. Looks perfectly decadent and yummy! Nice photos too.

61. My childhood’s favourite ice cream! With Morfat cream, just like my momma used to make it! Looks delicious ! Thanks for sharing Katerina, kisses!

First time I’ve ever heard to Morfat vegetal cream. After looking it up I can see how it could really help to make lighter ice cream than when just using the condensed milk. Delicious looking ice cream and any chocolate ice cream goes to the top of my list!

66. Lovely and simple and love that its no eggs. It looks perfectly creamy and delicious.

We call this “refrigerator ice cream” round here!

70. OMG I cannot believe that story about people getting poisoned from ice cream. Thanks full that is not the case. Greta recipe for those without all the equipment.

Poor Kalvo and his guests with that ice cream disaster! This recipe looks so creamy and delicious but I don’t think I’ve ever seen vegetal cream before. I’ll have to ask at my grocery store!

74. Deepti says:

Are you serious?? this looks absolutely fantastic.. I will do this right away :)

76. I like the simple ingredients you used. I will have to look for Morfat Vegetal Cream. This ice cream looks so creamy, and of course chocolate is my favorite :)

78. It is freezing right now down under but nothing could keep me from your indulgent chocolate ice cream 😀

80. So beautiful! That would so hit the spot now. 92 degrees and 100 percent humidity in Hk right now… I would have to eat the ice-cream fast.

82. ola says:

I am not sure whether I could find this ingredient but I must say they look so perfect!