During summer, fruits and vegetables can be found in abundance here. It is this time of season, when all of us consume as many as possible and our summer dishes are making a very good use of them. Apart from s/m where vegetables are sold, usually the best quality ones, can be found either in small greengroceries or in farmer’s market.
Greengroceries exist almost in every neighborhood just like bakeries, drugstores and butcheries. They buy from producers and their prices are more expensive than the ones of the s/m.
Farmer’s markets are programmed to take place once a week in every neighborhood. The municipality chooses one road that is big enough to carry the market, but not as important to the local transportation as to create a jam and closes it down once a week for the market to take place. At six o’clock in the morning all sellers are all set behind their booths that are loaded with vegetables and fruits of all kinds. People from the area start visiting and buying their fresh produce. At 3 to 3.30 in the afternoon the farmer’s market closes down, farmers pick up their stuff and leave. Once the road is empty from people, the garbage trucks pass by and clean the area from the trash, so as for the road to be given back to traffic. The municipality collects a special fee from each and every farmer in order to provide this service.
In farmer’s market the rule of every free market is applied. In early morning, prices of produce are high. As time passes by, farmers start lowering their prices, so as to sell as much as possible from their yield. Of course, price and quality go hand in hand in this case. In the morning you buy expensive, but you get the very best of everything. As day passes by, what is left starts to be of inferior quality and thus the price is equivalent.
Unfortunately, where I live, farmer’s market takes place every Friday, which makes it impossible for me to visit, since I am working. So, I buy my greens form the local greengrocer. Nevertheless, these days that I was on holidays and stayed for a few days at home after returning from our trip, I had the chance to visit and buy some really good stuff from my farmer’s market.
I was thinking what to do with them, as I wanted to change from the ordinary, classic, summer, vegetable dishes and so I decided to make these tortilla wraps. They are very easy to make and they are the perfect snack for the office or a light lunch or supper. I dressed them with a Greek yogurt/feta cheese sauce to give them a Greek twist and it matched perfectly with the vegetables. Very refreshing and tasty choice especially during warm summer days.
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 3 green peppers, cut in squares
- 3 zucchinis, cut in cubes
- 2 eggplants, cut in cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in squares
- 2 onions, cut in cubes
- 200 ml / 7 fl oz. Greek yogurt
- 100 gr. / 4 oz. feta cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp dried mint
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200° C / 400° F.
- Arrange vegetables including onions so one doesn’t overlap the other.
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt them.
- Bake until they become soft.
- Remove and let them cool, while you prepare the sauce
- In a blender add all the ingredients and pulse until they are all incorporated.
- Take a tortilla, add some veggies and top with couple of spoons of the sauce.
- They can be eaten warm or at room temperature but the sauce must be somewhat cold.
- 8 τορτίγιες με αλεύρι ολικής αλέσεως
- 3 πράσινες πιπεριές, κομμένες σε τετράγωνα
- 3 κολοκυθάκια, κομμένα σε κύβους
- 2 μελιτζάνες, κομμένες σε κύβους
- 2 κόκκινες πιπεριές, κομμένες σε τετράγωνα
- 2 κρεμμύδια, κομμένα σε κύβους
- 200 ml γιαούρτι
- 100 γρ. τυρί φέτα
- 1 σκελίδα σκόρδο
- ¼ κ.γ. ξηρό δυόσμο
- Αλάτι και πιπέρι
- Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
- Τακτοποιήστε τα λαχανικά συμπεριλαμβανομένων και των κρεμμυδιών έτσι ώστε το ένα να μην επικαλύπτει το άλλο.
- Ρίξτε λίγο ελαιόλαδο και αλάτι.
- Ψήστε μέχρι να μαλακώσουν.
- Βγάλτε τα από το φούρνο και αφήστε τα να κρυώσουν, ενώ ετοιμάζετε τη σάλτσα
- Σε ένα μπλέντερ προσθέστε όλα τα συστατικά και χτυπήστε τα μέχρι να ενσωματωθούν.
- Πάρτε μια τορτίγια, προσθέστε μερικά λαχανικά και από πάνω δυο κουταλιές της σούπας σάλτσα.
- Τρώγονται ζεστά ή σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου, αλλά η σάλτσα πρέπει να είναι κάπως δροσερή.