Cilbír and Spaghetti with Garlic Scented Yogurt

Cilbir.jpg

As a child, I was very picky when it came to eating. I was very thin and my mom always worried about my health and the fact that I wasn’t taking all the necessary elements for my body to grow correctly. Back then, I wasn’t really interested in food (I wish I could say the same thing today lol). I had a very specific and narrow range of dishes to which I could indulge and this in very small portions.

My maternal grandparents lived in Piraeus while we lived in Athens. To go and visit them, presupposed a trip of about 30 minutes by train and another 15 minutes with a taxi from the station to their home. When schools closed my mom and I were visiting my grandparents and stayed there 3 to 4 days. As I have told you before my grandmother and grandfather came as refugees from Asia Minor after Greece lost the war to Turkey. It was only natural that all these people brought their eating habits with them along with a kitchen very mush influenced by the Middle Eastern one.

Cilbir.jpg

My grandma knew exactly how picky eater I was, so, she tried to cook the dishes I loved the most. Two were the meals I enjoyed during my stays there and they were the ones that I was expecting to eat upon my arrival; Spaghetti with Garlic Flavored Yogurt and Cilbír.

When I was stepping in my grandparents’ house, Cilbír was waiting for me to devour it with warm bread straight from the bakery (my grandfather had no other choice than to follow my grandma’s orders and go early in the morning at the local bakery to buy bread for the poor child in order to feed it and put some fat on it lol). During summer I always remember her and lately I miss both of them so much, I guess I am getting old lol.

Cilbir.jpg

I can safely say that the two things that helped me grow up were eggs and milk. These two basic elements were fundamental and indispensable in my everyday diet. To be honest I didn’t care pretty much about anything else.

So, as you can understand Cilbír and the Spaghetti with Garlic and Yogurt were staples when visiting my grandparents.

Cilbir.jpg

These dishes are very summery and so easy to make you will laugh and perhaps consider that they weren’t worth posting about. The truth is that as simple as they look in conception, they are so tasty and satisfying you cannot believe. If you have the chance do give them a try, they are both healthy and so filling and you will be left with a sense of satisfaction without heaviness in stomach.

Yogurt Spaghetti.JPG

Cilbír

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Breakfast / Brunch
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Middle Eastern
Serves: 2
  • 2 eggs
  • ¾ cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 garlic clove, minced or ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ to ½ tsp of salt depending how salty you want the yogurt
  • 4 tbsp melted butter or margarine
  • Salt, freshly grated pepper
  • 2 pinches of paprika
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  1. In a bowl mix the yogurt and the garlic and salt.
  2. Set aside.
  3. Poaching an egg can be a challenging task.
  4. The first time I tried it, I ruined 4 eggs before I was able to learn how to poach them.
  5. Once you grasp it though, it is a routine.
  6. If you don’t feel confident enough, instead of poached you can use fried eggs!
  7. In a pot pour about ½ liter / 1 pint water
  8. Bring to just before boil.
  9. Add 1 tbsp white wine vinegar.
  10. Pour the egg in ramekin.
  11. With a ladle, make a swirl and in the center of it pour the egg.
  12. Lower the heat and let it cook for 3 minutes.
  13. With a perforated spoon remove the egg and put aside.
  14. Take two plates and divide the yogurt.
  15. On top place one egg per plate and pour 2 tbsp of butter.
  16. Add salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch of paprika.
  17. Serve while the egg is warm.

Spaghetti with Garlic Scented Yogurt

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Main Course
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Middle Eastern
Serves: 2
  • 250 gr. / 9 oz. spaghetti
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp water
  1. In a bowl mix the yogurt, minced cloves, salt, pepper, olive oil and water.
  2. Put in the fridge until the pasta is cooked.
  3. Cook the pasta and mix it with the yogurt sauce.
  4. Serve while warm.
This is a super easy, super quick pasta dish perfect for the summer because it is refreshing because of the yogurt, needs minimum cooking time and no bake or sauté or anything that increases temperature.

Τσιλμπίρ

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Πρωινό
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Μικρασιάτικη
Serves: 2
  • 2 αυγά
  • ¾ φλ. γιαούρτι
  • 1 σκελίδα σκόρδο, λιωμένη ή ½ κ.γ. σκόνη σκόρδου
  • ¼ έως ½ κ.γ. αλάτι ανάλογα με το πόσο αλμυρό θέλετε το γιαούρτι
  • 4 κ.σ. λιωμένο βούτυρο ή μαργαρίνη
  • Αλάτι, τριμμένο πιπέρι
  • 2 πρέζες πάπρικα
  • 1 κ.σ. ξίδι από λευκό κρασί
  1. Σε ένα μπολ ανακατέψτε το γιαούρτι με το σκόρδο και το αλάτι.
  2. Βάλτε στην άκρη.
  3. Το να ποζάρεις ένα αυγό είναι μια πρόκληση.
  4. Την πρώτη φορά που το δοκίμασα, κατέστρεψα 4 αυγά πριν μπορέσω να μάθω πώς γίνεται.
  5. Αφού το μάθεις μετά είναι ρουτίνα.
  6. Εάν δεν αισθάνεστε σίγουροι αρκετά, αντί των ποσέ, μπορείτε να χρησιμοποιήσετε τηγανητά αυγά!
  7. Σε μια κατσαρόλα ρίξτε περίπου ½ λίτρο νερό.
  8. Φέρτε το λίγο πριν βράσει.
  9. Προσθέστε 1 κ.σ. ξύδι από άσπρο κρασί.
  10. Ρίξτε το αυγό σε ένα μικρό μπολάκι.
  11. Με μια κουτάλα, κάντε ένα στρόβιλο στο νερό και στο κέντρο του ρίξτε το αυγό.
  12. Χαμηλώστε τη φωτιά και αφήστε να βράσει για 3 λεπτά.
  13. Με την τρυπητή κουτάλα βγάλτε το αυγό.
  14. Πάρτε δύο πιάτα και μοιράστε το γιαούρτι.
  15. Από πάνω τοποθετήστε ένα αυγό ανά πιάτο και ρίξτε 2 κ.σ. βούτυρο.
  16. Προσθέστε αλάτι, φρεσκοτριμμένο πιπέρι και μια πρέζα πάπρικα.
  17. Σερβίρετε ενώ το αυγό είναι ζεστό.

Μακαρόνια με Γιαούρτι και Σκόρδο

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Κυρίως Γεύμα
Cuisine/ Κουζίνα: Μικρασιάτικη
Serves: 2
  • 250 γρ. σπαγγέτι
  • 1 φλ. γιαούρτι
  • 2 σκελίδες σκόρδο, λιωμένες
  • Αλάτι και φρεσκοτριμμένο πιπέρι
  • 2 κ.σ. ελαιόλαδο
  • 2 κ.σ. νερό
  1. Σε ένα μπολ ανακατέψτε το γιαούρτι, το σκόρδο, το αλάτι, το πιπέρι, το ελαιόλαδο και το νερό.
  2. Βάλτε στο ψυγείο μέχρι να γίνουν τα ζυμαρικά.
  3. Βράστε τα ζυμαρικά και ανακατέψτε με τη σάλτσα γιαουρτιού.
  4. Σερβίρετε αμέσως.
Πρόκειται για ένα πανεύκολο, σούπερ γρήγορο πιάτο ιδανικό για το καλοκαίρι, επειδή είναι δροσερό λόγω του γιαουρτιού, θέλει ελάχιστο μαγείρεμα και δεν χρειάζεται ψήσιμο ή σοτάρισμα, ενέργειες που αυξάνουν τη θερμοκρασία.

49 Responses to Cilbír and Spaghetti with Garlic Scented Yogurt

Oh Katrina, both of these dishes look absolutely scrumptious! I’ve never had garlicky yogurt but it sounds and LOOKS amazing. Thanks for both of these recipes!

3. Regina says:

This recipe sounds yummy. I love yogurt, I love to make it, but when I buy, I buy Greek yogurt.

I’m going to save this recipe so I can try it one of these days.

Thank you Katerina.

5. Lisa says:

This looks so very good! Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” Hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/07/try-new-recipe-tuesday-july-22.html

7. Cynthia says:

There’s something about grandmas’ cooking; even the pickiest of eaters can help but asking for seconds when it comes to their recipes…. These look like such tasty, unique dishes. Thank you for linking at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you again next week.

9. Thanks for sharing with the Let’s Get Real Party.

HI Katerina,
    I just saw this post on Pinterest and just had to stop by to check it out. Amazing! I agree with the other person who said they were surprised to learn you were a picky eater. Your dishes are always so enticing and I am sure delicious!

I am especially intrigued by this dish. I have often made spaghetti with garlic and oil but never with yogurt. Since I just made yogurt, I must try it! My grandson is a picky eater and I often worry that he is not getting enough nutrients. (I guess it’s something Grannies do:) Thank you so much for sharing this recipe Katerina. I am not only saving it, I’m pinning it too!!!

This dish looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing your post with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back to see us real soon!

15. Lori Hart says:

This is unique and something I have to try. I found your recipe over at Tuesday’s Table. I host Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday and would love it if you would come over and share this recipe. I’m sure our party goers would love it! Here is the link http://bit.ly/1qcBRGv. Have a wonderful day!

17. Diane Balch says:

I can see why this dish had kid appeal. Thanks for bringing it to foodie friday. Pinned.

Two ways I would have never thought to use yogurt but they both sound delicious! Your grandmother knew what she was doing 😉

looks delicious love poached egg and fun to have with yogurt

23. Tampa Cake Girl says:

I just pinned and shared on my page!

25. I love yogurt and this is a very creative dish! I can’t believe you were a picky eater considering you make so many amazing dishes. :)

excellent recipes! i love using yogurt in my cooking and baking, though i’ve never applied it pasta!

29. Hadia says:

Katerina, your dish sounds fantastic!! Love the flavor of garlic and yogurt. Sounds easy to put together and a great summer dish!

31. I have never tried yogurt in a pasta sauce! Your recipe definitely has me intrigued and I can’t wait to try it!

Yogurt as a pasta sauce sounds so refreshing!

35. G’day! Quite unusual Katerina! Looks delish! Wish I could try some now!
    Cheers! Joanne

37. Deepti says:

Wonderful recipe Katerina! your story bring back my memories to life… My grandma just did as you said.. as I was a picky eater too :)

39. Poached eggs are fabulous, learning to appreciate them more now. And this is simple but a great dinner, little cooking and great for summer.

41. Kecia says:

Katerina you completely peaked my interest with the Garlic Scented Yogurt dish! That look so creamy and amazing!

Yum! Garlic yogurt, what’s there not to love about it. Cannot wait to try it.

Such sweet memories that come along with these two wonderful recipes!

47. Simple recipes, especially during the summer, are most welcomed. :)

49. I love the garlic scented yogurt is sounds good.. I am going to give it a try… Also the egg dish sounds good too. Pinning.

51. Agos says:

This is pretty different for me, but it sounds delicious! I love poached eggs, they never come out perfect (or even close lol), but they’re still good :)

53. Yum, this garlic yoghurt would be a perfect dip, a restaurant nearby sells it 😀
    But I want to try your recipe now!

55. Both of these recipes are on my “To do” list. I’m pinning so I will remember them both. I may even try my hand at poaching an egg although I do pretty well at “over easy”. Thanks for this yumminess!

57. This sounds so good! And, it’s so beautiful. I love both ideas, the eggs and the pasta. I know what you’re talking about with poaching eggs being a bit frightening. Due to my hesitation in poaching eggs, I did some tests a while back to see what method worked the best. Maybe I’ll have to go back, and poach some eggs just so I can try this beautiful sauce! mmm! Pinning and stumbling for later.

59. Claire says:

Fresh bread from the bakery, mmm! So delicious. This spaghetti sounds very good and something I have never heard of so I enjoyed reading about it!

61. nipponnin says:

I enjoy reading your story. You were surrounded by warm caring people growing up…so nice! This is interesting dish, I definitely have to try it.

63. Oh how I love the Middle Eastern/Mediterranean foods. This reminds me of home. Yum!

Summer is the perfect time for a delicious, simple dish like this. Loved the memories behind it, too.

67. This meal looks totally satisfying. No wonder you didn’t care for much else! I’m going to try this recipe. I’m so hooked on Greek yogurt. What is your favorite brand?

69. This looks so delicious and I totally love the idea of using cilbir with noodles as I am a crazy yogurt lover!! Delicious recipe!

71. Katerina, no apologies necessary for the simplicity of favorite recipes – these both look so good, that I am not surprised that you love them – thanks for great inspiration!

Katerina, these are most unusual dishes! I already feel I will enjoy them immensely. I am impatient to test either of them as soon as possible. Thank you for sharing with us your childhood food memories.

75. I also was a very picky eater as a child and very thin. Hmmm… well not any more. I love this dish, it reminds me a bit of a dish my Mom made instead of yogurt she used ricotta. I loved it and would devour it instantly. What lovely memories of your Grandparents.

77. Nice, growing up, the only pasta dish we ate was that with crumbled white farmers cheese on top. With yoghurt, I haven’t tried it yet. Beautiful egg dish…well done!

ela h.

I was also so picky as a child, I could only eat sausages that days
    a picky child means a food blogger in the future:)

My sister was the picky eater in our house. Nobody ever had to tempt me to eat! :)
    Wonderful story about your grandmother and her/your pasta dish looks tasty. Can’t go wrong with garlic and yogurt!

What interesting dishes! I’ve never seen or heard of anything like these. They both look delicious and I love the idea of dipping warm bread in that Cibir. Thanks for sharing your grandmother’s recipes!

85. Your story brought a smile to my face. What a sweet grandma to make you this fave food of yours. Looks like comfort food for sure!

Delicious recipes Katerina…I sure would love to try them…I am learning so many different recipe using yogurt…fantastic!
    Have a wonderful week dear 😀

89. και οι δύο προτάσεις φαίνονται πεντανόστιμες!! αλλά αυτό το τσιλμπίρ θα το δοκιμάσω οπωσδήποτε!!! και ελπίζω να τα καταφέρω με το αυγό, γιατί ομολογώ ότι ποσέ δεν έχω κάνει ακόμα…

When I was a kid, I wouldn’t eat eggs but I drank a ton of milk. Funny how I used to eat so few things, and now I’ll try almost anything!

93. Πρωτότυπες και οι δύο προτάσεις σου Κατερίνα!
    Αυγό ποσέ επιχείρησα να φτιάξω μια φορά αλλά δεν μου βγήκε! Που θα μου πάει, θα το μάθω!
    Τα ζυμαρικά με το γιαούρτι εύκολα και πολύ δροσερά, ότι πρέπει για τις καλοκαιρινές ζέστες!
    Φιλιά!

These are both totally new concepts to me! A very different kind of comfort food than those I would expect.

97. Garlic yogurt reminds me of Tzatziki..only thinner. The pasta looks very tasty!