When a child is born and before it reaches the second year of age, the parents decide for its baptism or christening. The majority of Greeks belong to the Orthodox scheme and thus they have to baptize their children, so as for them to become members of the Greek Orthodox Church. Every child has a godparent, who is chosen by its parents. Usually this person comes from either the families of the couple or their friends. This person is supposed to be the spiritual guide of the child and help him or her through the course of becoming an adult and continue to offer his/her support through the years.
For the Orthodox Church, christening is one of the seven mysteries and is a ceremony that takes place in a church. The godparent on behalf of the child accepts the grace of God and Holy Spirit and becomes a member of the God’s church. That day friends and family are invited to participate and celebrate with the couple and child. The child is baptized into a rounded vessel filled with water that is called “Kolibithra” three times. These three times symbolize the three days Christ was buried and resurrected.
Usually, and because baptism is considered a very important event in the life of the child and its parents, a big fest takes place after the mystery in which the couple has the chance to celebrate along with their families, relatives and friends. Godparent is responsible to buy the child’s clothing for the mystery and also buy a golden cross which is blessed by the priest and is the child’s “weapon” against evil.
I have a godmother, my husband has a godfather and my son too has a godmother. I myself have become a godmother to two children and so did my husband.
Nowadays, things have become less complicated and godparents have one and only obligation, to offer gifts to their godchildren in four different occasions; Name days, Christmas, birthdays and Easter.
One of my two godchildren is almost six years old and he had his Name Day a few days ago. So as a good godmother, I bought him a present and invited him and his dad to come and spend the Sunday with us. I made my Marinated Greek Souvlaki with Pitas and French fries and for a sweet I made this so easy and so delicious Milk Pie. It is a recipe adapted from Vefa Alexiadou and I have made it several times.
If you are somewhat hesitant in working with phylo, this pie is the best thing to start becoming familiar with it. All you have to do is crumple the phylo sheets and place them in the pan. It doesn’t require any particular pattern or way of doing it. It is as simple as that and apart from phylo, which must be available at home, all the other ingredients, I think, are always present at everyone’s house. Milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla. It was a delicious pie and as easy as counting to ten. Also it preserves very well and all you have to do is reheat a little bit before serving it.
Easy Peasy Milk Pie
7 phylo sheets
1/3 cup butter or margarine
¼ tsp cinnamon
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
3 cups warm milk
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanillin
Caster sugar or confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon for dusting on top
Preheat the oven at 175° C/ 345° F.
Butter a rounded pan with diameter 30cm or 12 in.
Take a phylo sheet and place the short side towards you.
Crumple the sheet and place it loosely in circle in the pan.
Do the same with the rest of the sheets.
Melt the butter in the microwave and pour it on top of the sheets trying to spread it so as to go everywhere.
Dust with cinnamon and place it in the oven.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the phylo sheets have taken a nice golden color.
In the meantime, in a bowl whisk the sugar and the eggs.
Add the milk and the vanilla and incorporate.
When the phylo sheets are golden remove from the oven and pour on top of them the milk batter making sure it goes everywhere.
Place again in the oven and bake for another 25 minutes or until the milk batter has become cream.
Remove from the oven, let it rest for 5 minutes, dust with confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon and serve while it is warm.
If you have leftovers, place them in the fridge and just reheat them before serving them.
- 7 phylo sheets
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups warm milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanillin
- Caster sugar or confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon for dusting on top
- Preheat the oven at 175° C/ 345° F.
- Butter a rounded pan with diameter 30cm or 12 in.
- Take a phylo sheet and place the short side towards you.
- Crumple the sheet and place it loosely in circle in the pan.
- Do the same with the rest of the sheets.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and pour it on top of the sheets trying to spread it so as to go everywhere.
- Dust with cinnamon and place it in the oven.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the phylo sheets have taken a nice golden color.
- In the meantime, in a bowl whish the sugar and the eggs.
- Add the milk and the vanilla and incorporate.
- When the phylo sheets are golden remove from the oven and pour on top of them the milk batter making sure it goes everywhere.
- Place again in the oven and bake for another 25 minutes or until the milk batter has become cream.
- Remove from the oven, let it rest for 5 minutes, dust with confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon and serve while it is warm.
- If you have leftovers, place them in the fridge and just reheat them before serving them.
- 7 φύλλα κρούστας
- ⅓ φλ. βούτυρο ή μαργαρίνη
- ¼ κ.γ. κανέλα
- 3 μεγάλα αυγά
- 1 φλ. ζάχαρη
- 3 φλ. ζεστό γάλα
- 1 κ.γ. εκχύλισμα βανίλιας ή 1 βανιλίνη
- Ζάχαρη άχνη και κανέλα για το πασπάλισμα στην κορυφή
- Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 175° C.
- Βουτυρώστε ένα στρογγυλό ταψί με διάμετρο 30cm.
- Πάρτε ένα φύλλο και τοποθετήστε την κοντή πλευρά προς το μέρος σας.
- Τσαλακώστε το φύλλο και βάλτε το χαλαρά σε κύκλο στο ταψί.
- Κάντε το ίδιο με τα υπόλοιπα φύλλα.
- Λιώστε το βούτυρο σε φούρνο μικροκυμάτων και ρίξτε το πάνω από τα φύλλα έτσι ώστε να πάει παντού.
- Πασπαλίστε με κανέλα και βάλτε το στο φούρνο.
- Ψήστε για περίπου 25-30 λεπτά ή μέχρι τα φύλλα να πάρουν ένα ωραίο χρυσό χρώμα.
- Εν τω μεταξύ, σε ένα μπολ χτυπήστε τη ζάχαρη και τα αυγά.
- Προσθέστε το γάλα και τη βανίλια και ενσωματώστε.
- Όταν βγάλετε τα φύλλα από το φούρνο ρίξτε από πάνω τους το μίγμα γάλακτος, φροντίζοντας να πηγαίνει παντού.
- Βάλτε και πάλι στο φούρνο και ψήστε για άλλα 25 λεπτά ή μέχρι το γάλα να γίνει κρέμα.
- Βγάλτε από το φούρνο, αφήστε να ξεκουραστεί για 5 λεπτά.
- Πασπαλίστε με άχνη ζάχαρη και κανέλα όσο είναι ζεστό.
It was featured in Munchin Mondays at www.nibblesbynic.com