Feta Cheese Quiche

Feta Cheese Quiche.JPG

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the words Greek food? I bet one of the first things that you recollect is feta cheese. Indeed feta cheese is one of the most recognizable and well known Greek foods around the world.

Since 2002, feta has been a protected designation of origin product in the European Union. That means that only cheese that has been made from sheep’s milk or a combination of sheep’s and goat’s milk cheese can be called feta cheese. It is true that the misuse of the feta name is as big as its reputation. Many companies, including European ones, have tried to circulate products that are named as feta cheese, but have absolutely nothing in common with the real thing. I am not a food puritan, but I strongly believe that the consumer must be able to realize the difference between the original product and the substitute and then it is in her/his hand to choose which one she/he prefers to buy.

Feta Cheese Quiche.JPG

I have seen the procedure of making feta cheese, but I am giving you the paragraph from Wikipedia since I am not familiar with the English terms of this specific sector and I don’t want to confuse you. So, according to Wikipedia and its sources: “The milk from the sheep or sheep and goat may be pasteurized or not; most producers now use pasteurized milk. When the pasteurized milk has cooled to approximately 35°C / 95°F, rennet is added and the casein is left to coagulate. The compacted curds are then cut up, and placed in a special mold or a cloth bag to allow the whey to drain. After several hours, the curd is firm enough to cut up and salt; salinity will eventually reach approx. 3%, the salted curds are then placed (depending on the producer and the area of Greece) in metal vessels or wooden barrels, and allowed to infuse for several days. After the dry-salting of the cheese is complete, aging or maturation in brine (a 7% salt in water solution) takes several weeks at room temperature and then for at least 2 months in a refrigerated high-humidity environment, and as before, this takes place either in wooden barrels or metal vessels, depending on the producer; however, barrel aging is said to give the cheese a unique flavor and is more traditional.”

Feta Cheese Quiche.JPG

Feta cheese can be traced back to the Byzantine Empire with the name prósphatos which means recent in English. The name feta was taken later and comes from the Italian word “fetta” which means slice. It is not known whether this name refers to the fact that we cut the cheese in slices to eat it or the producers slice it to put it in barrels.

Having lived in US and having tried the “feta” that circulates there, I can give to my American friends a small piece of advice. If you can get your hands in any feta that originates from Greece and you see this written on the package, do not let the opportunity go wasted. Do try it and you will immediately understand the difference. Of course until then, the cheese that you can find in the grocery stores or super markets or deli is perfectly fine.

This quiche has a very fluffy texture and is packed with feta cheese flavor. Not only is it tasty, but also it is very easy to make, so this makes it a perfect alternative for a weekday dinner. Also, I always make it when I invite people over, because it is a crowd pleaser and doesn’t add to my already loaded schedule. I made it on Sunday as we had some friends coming over and there were no leftovers. I guess that tells something right?

Feta Cheese Quiche.JPG

Feta Cheese Quiche

200 gr. / 7 oz. feta cheese

1 puff pastry sheet

5 tomato slices

6 green pepper or any other pepper slices

5 to 6 zucchini slices

½ tsp dried oregano

100 gr. / 4 oz. full fat milk

2 eggs

¼ tsp salt (optional)

Feta Cheese Quiche.JPG

Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.

Place the puff pastry so as to cover the bottom of the form and its sides.

Cut with the knife the edges that exceed out of the sides.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven, remove the parchment paper and the beans/lentils.

Feta Cheese Quiche.JPG

Do not discard the beans or the lentils.

You can use them in another such occasion.

Crumble the feta cheese and cover the bottom of the puff pastry.

Throw the dried oregano.

In a blender add the cream, the milk, the eggs and the salt (optional) and mix.

Pour the batter over the feta.

Arrange the vegetable slices on top (you can add more vegetables if you like or even you can add more feta but if the feta is salty don’t overdo it).

Feta Cheese Quiche.JPG

Feta Cheese Quiche

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. feta cheese
  • 1 puff pastry sheet
  • 5 tomato slices
  • 6 green pepper or any other pepper slices
  • 5 to 6 zucchini slices
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • 250 gr. / 9 oz. light cream (or you can use heavy cream if you don’t have light, or half and half)
  • 100 gr. / 4 oz. full fat milk
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ tsp salt (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
  2. Take a tart form with diameter of about 28cm / 11 in. to 30cm / 12 in and butter it very well.
  3. Place the puff pastry so as to cover the bottom of the form and its sides.
  4. Cut with the knife the edges that exceed out of the sides.
  5. Put a parchment paper so as to cover the bottom and the sides of the pastry and place beans or lentils so as to create a layer.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes.
  7. Remove from the oven, remove the parchment paper and the beans/lentils.
  8. Do not discard the beans or the lentils.
  9. You can use them in another such occasion.
  10. Crumble the feta cheese and cover the bottom of the puff pastry.
  11. Throw the dried oregano.
  12. In a blender add the cream, the milk, the eggs and the salt (optional) and mix.
  13. Pour the batter over the feta.
  14. Arrange the vegetable slices on top.
  15. Bake in the same oven for about 20 minutes or until the filling has started taking a light golden color.

Κις Λοραίν με Φέτα

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
  • 200 γρ. τυρί φέτα
  • 1 φύλλο σφολιάτας
  • 5 φέτες ντομάτας
  • 6 φέτες πράσινης πιπεριάς ή οποιαδήποτε άλλης πιπεριάς
  • 5 με 6 φέτες κολοκυθιού
  • ½ κουταλάκι ρίγανη
  • 250 γρ. ελαφριά κρέμα (ή μπορείτε να χρησιμοποιήσετε κρέμα γάλακτος, αν δεν έχετε ελαφριά κρέμα)
  • 100 γρ. πλήρες γάλα
  • 2 αυγά
  • ¼ κ.γ. αλάτι (προαιρετικό)
  1. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
  2. Πάρτε μια φόρμα τάρτας με διάμετρο από περίπου 28cm έως 30cm και βουτυρώστε τη πολύ καλά.
  3. Τοποθετήστε το φύλλο σφολιάτας, έτσι ώστε να καλύψει τον πάτο της φόρμας και τις πλευρές.
  4. Κόψτε με το μαχαίρι τα περισσεύματα.
  5. Βάλτε χαρτί ψησίματος έτσι ώστε να καλύψει τον πάτο και τις πλευρές της ζύμης και τοποθετήστε φασόλια ή φακές ώστε να δημιουργηθεί ένα στρώμα.
  6. Ψήστε για 15 λεπτά.
  7. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο, αφαιρέστε το χαρτί ψησίματος και τα φασόλια/φακές.
  8. Μην πετάξετε τα φασόλια ή τις φακές.
  9. Μπορείτε να τα χρησιμοποιήσετε σε μια άλλη τέτοια περίπτωση.
  10. Τρίψτε τη φέτα και καλύψτε με το τρίμμα τον πάτο της σφολιάτας.
  11. Ρίξτε την ρίγανη.
  12. Σε ένα μπλέντερ ρίξτε την κρέμα, το γάλα, τα αυγά και το αλάτι (προαιρετικό) και ανακατέψτε.
  13. Περιχύστε με το μίγμα τη φέτα.
  14. Βάλτε τις φέτες των λαχανικών από πάνω.
  15. Ψήστε στον ίδιο φούρνο για περίπου 20 λεπτά ή μέχρι η γέμιση να αρχίσει να παίρνει ένα ελαφρύ χρυσό χρώμα.

It was featured in:

what i am eating

61 Responses to Feta Cheese Quiche

1. Sandra says:

I love the flavor of feta. Now I’m going to pay closer attention to where it’s made when I purchase it. I want the authentic flavor for sure!

3. I adore feta cheese, this tart sounds amazing!

5. Nicky says:

This quiche looks delicious. I love feta. I get it at a Mediterranean market in town that offers 3 varieties of feta. It’s so much better than the store bought feta. I will have to try this very soon.

7. Diane says:

Katerina, I am in awe! This quiche is so pretty I’m not sure I could cut it up. Your pictures are amazing. I hope it tastes as good as it looks. I must try to make this! Thanks for the tip on looking for Feta made in Greece. I will try to find it. This quiche deserves the best!

9. What an interesting post. I did not know how feta cheese is made but I do LOVE feta cheese from Greece!

11. This gorgeous quiche showed up just in time for lunch. I’d like a nice big piece, please! :)

13. Molly says:

I wanted to say thanks for linking your recipe up to our Lovely Ladies link party, and to let you know I’ve featured them in a great round-up of Thanksgiving sides & appetizers. You can check it out if you’d like- http://bit.ly/18wRyOb
    Thanks so much- Molly from Just a Little Creativity

15. Lisa says:

This looks SO good! Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/11/try-new-recipe-tuesday-november-12.html

17. This quiche looks wonderful! Thanks for linking this to Less Laundry More Linking party!

19. that is a delicious looking quiche!. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. You help to make it so much fun.♥

Hi Katerina,
    I love the history that you gave us in this post, that makes me appreciate this cheese in a new way. I have all the ingredients in my frig, and will be making this before the weekend is over, cant wait. Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,

23. Beautiful quiche, Katerina! Love love love feta cheese and this quiche makes my mouth water~~~!

25. Winnie says:

It’s a beautiful quiche
    I love the combination of ingredients that you used :)

27. The quiche looks delicious ! Just this past weekend my daughter wanted to try a new recipe but couldn’t find a recipe which she liked. Saving yours for the next time she is home :-)

29. I am a big fan of feta and now I find out all these years I have not really been eating feta. I need to find some real feta. I’m sure it must be fantastic. I really like the saltiness of feta or feta like cheese. It would be a perfect pairing with the vegetables in this dish. Thanks for shedding some light on this subject……….and as always thanks for linking up with Let’s Get Real. I don’t know what I would do without you.

31. This looks fantastic. I cannot wait to try this recipe.

33. that looks so deelish, I love quiche!

35. Michelle says:

This sounds delicious and is beautiful! I have never used feta in a quiche before, but I know it has to be wonderful! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

37. Michelle says:

This sounds delicious and is beautiful. I have never used feta in a quiche before,

39. This looks terrific. I cannot wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

41. Ginnie says:

This looks so delicious – I love feta! Thank you for sharing:)

43. Lulu says:

Quiche is one of my favorite things to fix for dinner, and I love the combination of ingredients in yours. It’s definitely on my list of things to try. thank you.

45. Diane Balch says:

I have never made quiche with feta… and I have a lot of eggs right now. Thanks for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

SO marvelous made with puff pastry!! I wish I had a huge slice for my breakfast tomorrow :)

49. I adore quiche, and have only recently discovered that I quite like Feta too. This is a beautiful recipe that’s got me drooling!

what a gorgeous quiche!!! I love feta, but apparently I haven’t had good feta. :) I’m now on the hunt for Greek feta. Thanks!!!

53. This looks so comforting! Perfect on a weekend brunch!!

55. Xara says:

Hi Katerina, very flavorful quiche!It looks so appetizing,too!Hope your weekend is great, XO

57. Emily says:

Oh wow. Here is another one of your recipes that I will be bookmarking! I love feta cheese and this looks so good, I will have to try it!

Such a pretty quiche and it sounds delicious!

I love quiche and this looks amazing!

63. Julie says:

I love feta cheese and so rarely cook with it.

65. rosita says:

La quiche está muy linda y tentadora me llevo también la receta,abrazos mi querida Catherine.

I love feta cheese, but now I’m curious to try the real thing! In the meantime, your quiche looks amazing.

69. gloria says:

This look delicious I love feta cheese!!

71. This savory quiche looks fabulous!

73. cquek says:

quiche my favourite, very hard to find in Malaysia

75. Nawel.B says:

Just amazing! This Quiche looks delicious and plenty flavors!

this looks and I agree you can’t beat Greek feta made in Greek

Beautiful, perfectly shaped feta quiche! You will be surprised but not only feta is the most famous Greek product in Europe, but, for example in France, feta quiche is actually quite popular! (If it’s made with real Greek feta… not always of course, though here in Switzerland every shop carries both the local “feta style cheese” and real feta, imported from Greece).
    Your feta quiche reminds me of my student years when I was discovering French cuisine 😉 making different tarts and quiches. This was one of my favourite additions to French pastry.
    I hope I will go one day to Greece and taste the good quality real Greek feta (I’m sure the imported ones are not as good!).

Ωραία τάρτα Κατερίνα μου
    Και από εμφάνιση και φαντάζμαι από γεύση. Που να μείνει περίσσευμα…

φιλιά πολλά

83. Feta cheese is criminally expensive here and I wonder if there is a substitute for feta…I would love to try this quiche. It sounds amazing.

What a beauty this quiche is! Such stunning presentation and great flavors!

87. How I love Feta! The quiche looks perfect!

Ta tarte, en plus du fait d’être certainement délicieuse, est magnifique.
    On dirait une oeuvre d’art. BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!

92. I can just taste this quiche. I love Feta cheese.

94. Sutapa Ghosh says:

wooow Katerina….beautiful quiche…love the flavor added.

Beautiful quiche, Katerina. I’ve never used feta in one and I also really like the idea of using puff pastry as crust. No wonder your guests love this dish!

98. Jeannie Tay says:

Looks lovely too! I love feta cheese (the ones here are not as authentic, I am pretty sure, but still taste good).Would love to have a piece if I could:D Cheese products are pretty pricey here!

100. Pam says:

Feta cheese, for sure! Your quiche looks and sounds delicious! And colors are great too. Thanks for the recipe.

102. Love feta cheese. I am more used to the North American one but have tried the Bulgarian and Greek one. It’s so good. I have even made my own during my cheese making year. I have some on the fridge actually and I really should make this amazing quiche with it.

104. Feta is my absolute favorite cheese, some olive oil, flat bread, olives and I am very very happy. I love your tart, it looks fantastic.

great flavors, katerina! it’s done so artistically–bravo!

To be fair, the first food that comes to mind when I think of any culture is usually the cheese! I actually had a feta and caramelized onion tart on the menu for this week!

110. Feta is one of my favorite. Love the way you’ve decorated it, so beautiful.

112. bergamot says:

Love the way you decorated it and it’s rather simple recipe too. I love feta cheese.

114. Καλή εβδομάδα Κατερίνα μου!
    Η τάρτα σου υπέροχη!
    Σε συνδυασμό με μια ωραία σαλάτα, νομίζω ότι θα την τρώω και θα νιώθω ευτυχισμένη :)

116. Lila says:

Φέτα, ντομάτα, θαλασσινά και τάρτες…………..μόνο αυτά θέλω να τρώω!!!!! Μπορώ????

Καλημέρα Κατερίνα,στις κάθε είδους τάρτες έχω μεγάλη αδυναμία, τελαυταία με απογοήτευσαν οι σφολιάτες εμπορίου και είμαι έτοιμη να βρω λίγο χρόνο να φτιάξω δική μου. Θα δοκιμάσω τότε την πρόταση σου.

120. peps says:

Τι ωραία τάρτα και πολύ νόστιμη!!!