Savory Rainbow Muffins

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

fava of Santorini, shrimps, pepper, onion, tomato, wine, legume, Greek, main course, seafood

Marriage in Greece, just as I think in many other parts of this world, is very important not only for the couple, but also for the families and friends around.

In the old days the festivities started one week before the wedding.

On Monday the bride’s family cleaned and washed the dowry. Dowry was necessary for a girl to be able to find a husband and according to the economic status of the family was from moderate to very rich.

On Tuesday and Wednesday the aunts and cousins (girls) of the bride were coming to the bride’s house and all helped to iron and decorate the dowry. The dowry consisted of everything that was necessary for the house like towels, sheets, pillows, blankets, comforters, china, flatware, etc. plus golden liras.

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

Wednesday night three little children, who had both their parents, kneaded the sourdough with which the bridal tsoureki (sweet bread) was made. The bride’s parents treated whoever was there with sweets and spirits like ouzo or tsipouro.

On Thursday young girls and boys were taking the dowry from the house of the bride to the house of the groom, where the newlyweds were going to stay after their marriage. The father of the groom paid money for the dowry to enter his house and it was placed and exhibited in a room that was specially arranged for that purpose.

On Friday both houses were making sweets and breads and were treating all friends and relatives who were passing by.

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

On Saturday festivities started and the groom went to the house of the bride to throw the handkerchief at her as they called it. People came at night to celebrate and eat.

On Sunday morning again the groom along with his family and relatives came to the bride’s house and either the marriage took place there or in other cases the bride was taken to the church on a carriage where the groom was expecting her.

After the marriage a big celebration with live orchestra took place and the father of the groom along with the mother of the bride gave money to the musicians. After the marriage the couple went to the groom’s house to reside and the girl was under the authority of the mother-in-law.

Nowadays things are much simpler and dowry is not a necessity anymore. Nevertheless, if parents have the economic ability, they try to provide their children with a home and all the furniture inside it. The marriage takes place in the church and then there is a reception for everyone to have fun and celebrate with the couple.

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

In many cases the couple goes to a household store to create a gift list. Then inside the wedding invitations, they inform their relatives and friends of this list in case they want to offer an amount of money at that particular store, so as for the couple to be able to acquire the items they picked up.

I was very happy when Zoulovits household stores, a very old and well esteemed brand, came to contact with me and offered to send me a dinner set to try and state my opinion. In fact, when I was about to get married, I bought many things from there and I was very happy with my choices and still have them and use them. They have a wide range of household items from very expensive to moderate and of a very high quality! The dinner set has a beautiful, colorful design on the left hand side and that gave me the inspiration to make these savory muffins in three different colors; red, green and yellow. They were super delicious and we ate most of them just as they came out of the oven.

They perfectly matched the dishes and I was very happy I was offered such a beautiful dinner set. It is microwave and dishwasher safe which are very important for me, since, during weekdays, time is so very limited for me. Overall, and after I have used them, I believe that it is a beautiful, trustworthy set that it is sold in a very logical price. Thanks Zoulovits for this beautiful gift!

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

1 egg

1 cup grated yellow cheese

200 gr. / 7 oz. feta cheese, crumbled

1 tomato chopped

1 zucchini trimmed

1 yellow pepper chopped

Cherry tomatoes cut in half

Yellow pepper cut in slices

Zucchini in slices

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

Preheat oven to 180° C/ 345° F.

In a bowl pour the buttermilk, the margarine and the egg.

Divide the batter in three.

In the first add the chopped tomato and fold.

Add the 2 tbsp of flour and fold it to the batter.

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

In the second add the trimmed zucchini and fold.

In the third add the chopped yellow pepper and fold.

Take a 12 case muffin pan.

Put muffin papers and oil them.

Divide the batters equally to the muffin papers.

In the tomato muffins put on top one half cherry tomato.

In the zucchini muffins put on top one zucchini slice.

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

In the yellow pepper ones put on top one slice of yellow pepper.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove, let them cool a little bit and serve.

Desclaimer: Zoulovits store have sent me this dinner set to test and use in my cooking. I received no money from them and I have simply stated my opinion.

Rainbow Muffins.JPG

• 1 cup grated yellow cheese
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 tomato chopped
  • 1 zucchini trimmed
  • 1 yellow pepper chopped
For Garnishing
  • Cherry tomatoes cut in half
  • Yellow pepper cut in slices
  • Zucchini in slices
  1. Preheat oven to 180° C/ 345° F.
  2. In a bowl pour the buttermilk, the margarine and the egg.
  3. Throw the flour, the baking powder, soda, the salt, the onion, the feta and the yellow cheese and mix just to incorporate.
  4. Divide the batter in three.
  5. In the first add the chopped tomato and fold.
  6. Add the 2 tbsp of flour and fold it to the batter.
  7. In the second add the trimmed zucchini and fold.
  8. In the third add the chopped yellow pepper and fold.
  9. Take a 12 case muffin pan.
  10. Put muffin papers and oil them.
  11. Divide the batters equally to the muffin papers.
  12. In the tomato muffins put on top one half cherry tomato.
  13. In the zucchini muffins put on top one zucchini slice.
  14. In the yellow pepper ones put on top one slice of yellow pepper.
  15. You may have some batter left of all three so will have to make a second batch of 3 or 4 muffins.
  16. Bake for 30 minutes.
  17. Remove, let them cool a little bit and serve.

Αλμυρά Μάφινς Τρικολόρε

Η εταιρεία Ζούλοβιτς μου προσέφερε αυτό το σερβίτσιο πιάτων για να το δοκιμάσω και να γράψω τη γνώμη μου. Αυτό με ενέπνευσε και έφτιαξα αυτά τα αλμυρά μάφινς σε τρία χρώματα όσα και του σερβίτσιου. Είναι ένα πολύ όμορφο και ανθεκτικό σερβίτσιο πιάτων και σε πολύ καλή τιμή. Για περισσότερες πληροφορίες και σχέδια μπορείτε να μπείτε στο site του Ζούλοβιτς που είναι www.zoulovits.com!
Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
  • 25 γρ. λιωμένη μαργαρίνη
  • 300 γρ. ξυνόγαλα
  • 2 φλ. αλεύρι που φουσκώνει μόνο του + 2 κ.σ.
  • 2 κ.γ. μπέικιν πάουντερ
  • 1 κ.γ. σόδα
  • ½ κ.γ. αλάτι
  • 1 κρεμμύδι ψιλοκομμένο
  • 1 αυγό
  • 1 φλ. τριμμένο κίτρινο τυρί
  • 200 γρ. τυρί φέτα τριμμένη
  • 1 ντομάτα ψιλοκομμένη
  • 1 κολοκυθάκι τριμμένο
  • 1 κίτρινη πιπεριά ψιλοκομμένη
  • Τοματίνια κομμένα στη μέση
  • Κίτρινη πιπεριά κομμένη σε φέτες
  • Κολοκυθάκια σε φέτες
  1. Προθερμαίνετε το φούρνο στους 180° C.ή
  2. Σε ένα μπολ ρίξτε το ξυνόγαλα, τη μαργαρίνη και το αυγό.
  3. Ρίξτε το αλεύρι, το μπέικιν πάουντερ, σόδα, το αλάτι, το κρεμμύδι, την φέτα και τα τυριά και ανακατέψτε απλά μέχρι να ενσωματώθούν.
  4. Μοιράστε το μίγμα στα τρία.
  5. Στο πρώτο προσθέστε την ψιλοκομμένη τομάτα και ανακατέψτε.
  6. Προσθέστε άλλες 2 κ.σ. αλεύρι και ενσωματώστε το.
  7. Στο δεύτερο προσθέστε τα κομμένα κολοκυθάκια και ανακατέψτε.
  8. Στο τρίτο προσθέστε την ψιλοκομμένη κίτρινη πιπεριά και ανακατέψτε.
  9. Πάρτε ένα ταψί για μάφινς με δώδεκα θέσεις.
  10. Βάλτε θήκες για μάφινς και λαδώστε τις.
  11. Μοιράστε τα μίγματα στις θήκες.
  12. Στα μάφινς με τη ντομάτα βάλτε από πάνω από μισό τοματίνι.
  13. Στα μάφινς με τα κολοκυθάκια βάλτε στην κορυφή μία φέτα κολοκύθι.
  14. Στα μάφινς με την πιπεριά βάλτε στην κορυφή μία ροδέλα κίτρινης πιπεριάς.
  15. Μπορεί να χρειαστεί να γεμίσετε και μια δεύτερη παρτίδα με 3 ή 4 muffins.
  16. Ψήστε για 30 λεπτά.

It was featured at:

Photobucket

81 Responses to Savory Rainbow Muffins

1. I love savory muffins but always forget to make them! You’ve inspired me :-)

3. I love savory muffins; they make a really easy lunch. And yours look awesome with all those different colored veggies. Yum.

5. Nicky says:

My sister in law is of Greek decent. Her family made a few dishes for the wedding. I love seeing how different cultures celebrate. These recipes look delicious. It makes me want to get married all over again (to my husband)

7. Those savory muffins look delicious! I love learning about traditions and wedding celebrations!

9. I loved learning about the traditions behind a Greek wedding. Fascinating and I look forward to sharing this with my children, too.

11. Erica (@Erica's Recipes) says:

What a beautiful post! I loved reading about the traditions and the different preparations on the different days leading up to the wedding. And these muffins! Oh they look tremendous. I thoroughly enjoyed this Katerina.

13. Diane says:

I love your stories Katerina! It’s so fun to read about Greek traditions! these muffins looks stupendous on your new dishes! those muffins are just adorably cute!!

15. I love the versatility of these Savory tasty treats. Great for appetizers.

17. Sara says:

I love a savory treat! Thank you for sharing this!!

19. LydiaF says:

I would happily try every one of those variations all the while happy I don’t have to provide a dowry for my daughter!

21. I love savory muffins, there are so pretty and sound delicious!

23. The story of the historical Greek wedding was very enjoyable to read. The savory muffins look delicious. Despite a search on the internet, I am unable to discover what pomodori is, and where we would find it here in the US, or what could be used as a substitute.

25. Nicky says:

These muffins look delicious. I loved hearing about the tradition pre-marriage customs. It sounds like quite the production filled with amazing food and traditions.

27. The savory rainbow muffins sound delicious. This is a great way to use up some leftover veggies.

29. I still think these Savory Rainbow Muffins would make easy yummy appetizers. Great to see chopped veggies in them as well.

31. These muffins looks so tasty! And even pretty simple to make. I love the peppers for color and garnish. Great idea!

33. Kecia says:

I don’t even know what to say… these look just incredible! Pretty and oh my! I just want to eat them up!

35. This looks great, I love the colors and that these are savory, what a great idea for breakfast!

37. Love a great history story, great serving pieces and a unusual recipe!!

Pinning!!

Thanks so much, really enjoyed it!!

39. These look fantastic Katerina!

41. Katerina!!! These are GORGEOUS! So colorful and fun! And I love the idea of a savory muffin! I will be making these for sure!

43. I love learning about different cultures! Wish I could have been born into the receiving a furnished home tradition! Food is what brings everyone together. Delicious looking muffins!

45. KC Kahn says:

These are so cute. What a great afternoon snack or evening appetizer idea. Love the idea that they are not sweet. Thanks!

47. Debi says:

I loved ready the history of a Greek Wedding, very interesting! The Savory Rainbow Muffins look wonderful! Thank you for sharing on Thursday’s Treasures, I’m featuring this on week 109. Pinned!

49. This looks delicious! Thanks for linking to Less Laundry, More Linking Party!

51. Kathy Moody says:

Oh, these look amazing, and I love the great history! Just pinned! You were featured at Pick of the Bunch this week. Thank you so much sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. Have a fabulous weekend. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

Hi Katrina,
    I just love the history of the Greek Marriage festivities, you always tell the story in such a way that you make us feel like we are right there taking part in whatever you are writing about, a beautiful talent.
    Your Savory Rainbow Muffins look awesome and I can’t wait to try them.
    Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon,

55. lovely story and yummy food too! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop! ♥

57. Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

Simply beautiful! Would love to try these for sure.

61. Scarlett says:

What a lovely story! I love these muffins as well, they are a nice compliment to the traditional story of offering plenty of food for family & friends.

63. Catherine says:

Beautiful tradition. These muffins looks so beautiful and sound absolutely splendid. I hope you have been well my dear friend. Blessings, Catherine xo

65. I always love reading your posts! These muffins look fabulous, I love the three options to taste. Thank you so much for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

67. What a great idea for savory muffins. With so many options there’s something for everyone.

69. I really enjoyed reading about Greek weddings. It sounds likes fun, busy, and magical week for the couple. These muffins look absolutely yummy! Thank you for sharing them on Foodie Friday

71. Cheryl says:

This looks yummy, and it was fun reading about the Greek traditions. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

73. Diane Balch says:

such an interesting story about your country’s bridal tradition… love the savory muffins too. Thanks so much for sharing them with us on foodie friday.

75. TaMara says:

Those traditional weddings sound wonderful and very fun! My wedding was very simple. Thanks for sharing at Food on Friday.

77. what a creative innovation making colorfull savoury muffin….
    you inspired me, i guess i’m gonna use roasted beet for red, pesto with less pine nuts for green and saffron/turmeric for the yellow, the color must be more intens….hehehe
    well done my friend!

Such an interesting post, Katerina! The muffins sound so wonderfully yummy and look beautiful! Love the dishes, too!

81. Dina says:

they are so adorable and a great way to get in your veggies!

I want to try one of each! So pretty…and I love the linens and dishes, too :)

J’aime beaucoup tes introductions qui nous permettent de mieux connaitre la Grèce et les Grecs
    Une délicieuse réalisation Je te pique un muffin

87. No wonder there is so much cooking and prep and fussing before a wedding a Greece. A whole week of festivities and gatherings, Oh My. these delicious little savory muffin are the perfect make ahead snack to get the poor little bride through a very busy week. Take care, BAM

89. yummmmm,these savory muffins are such a change from the usual sweet ones…will make breakfast times all the more special and we get to load some veggies which our kids will otherwise dislike to eat….great idea and scrumptious recipe,thanks for sharing :-)

91. Great to know about your tradition and love these cute savory treats with variable topping…

Your muffins are lovely. Isn’t it interesting how much wedding traditions have changed over the years?

95. I’m loving all the veggies in this savory colorful muffins. Yummy!!!

97. rosita says:

Una gran delicia se ve irresistible precioso colorido,abrazos

99. cquek says:

Love Love this!!! This looks too good!

101. What a nice post. I am curious about the “throw the handkerchief at the bride tradition”.

103. Wilson Ng says:

Visually attractive and healthy muffins!

Wilson

105. gvarvakis says:

Εξαιρετικά, πολύχρωμα και σίγουρα απολαυστικά!!!!
    Στο “τεράδιο συνταγών” κι αυτά :)
    Πολλά φιλιά
    Καλημέρα Κατερίνα

107. This is so cute! I can imagine these muffins in kids lunch box or after school snack. I enjoyed reading about the greek culture around the marriage/wedding. Younger generation takes short cut and we start to lose traditional culture. Life and culture evolves but still it’s a bit sad. We should keep beautiful culture to next generation! Thanks for sharing delicious recipe!

109. Brilliant! Love eating the rainbow and never thought to do it like this =)

111. They look too pretty to be savory. 😉

Everyone has their traditions, Katerina. I loved reading about this one. You always have such fascinating posts!
    Your savory little muffins look delicious and yes, I’d have to try each of them!

I’ve always found the concept of the wedding dowry to be quite interesting. I’m sure it could have been a challenge for some. Interesting post. Muffins are something that I’ve never been very fond of because they are so sweet, so these savory muffins have definitely caught my attention. I could easily eat a few of these!

The wedding story sounds like my mom’s time…very traditional…
    This little savory muffins look fabulous Katerina, I like the fact that you have different flavors, the only problem is that I will need to try them all.
    Have a wonderful week my dear 😀

119. Balvinder says:

Katerina I always thought of making savory muffins but never found a good recipe. These look pretty easy and good.

121. MayMoh says:

Oh….love the wedding story. What happy occasion and celebration! I think these days, a lot of people make it simpler. My daughter’s recent wedding was simple and fun, unlike the traditional ones. Mine was definitely traditional! D Love your muffins and the plate. Looks delicious….mmmm. So sorry have not dropped by for quite a while. Just had been very busy with too much travelling. Trust you are well and enjoying each day.

123. These savory muffins look wonderful on the new dishes and would be great for a wedding treat. That sounds like an exhausting week but on the other hand now weddings take month’s to plan.

125. Just liked your Facebook page after reading this. Katerina, even in India dowry system is there and sometimes the boy’s family is so greedy that it takes a bad shape. Luckily, in the state where I belong to, dowry system was not there, although my parents gifted me all what I needed. Wonderful post about Greek wedding…it sounds such fun!

This recipe of rainbow muffins is just great and surely perfect for marriage. I love savoury muffins!

127. So colourful and delicious! I love those little savoury treats.

129. The muffins sound as wonderful as they look. And it is always nice learning from you about Greek history and culture :)

131. Love your savory little muffins…I would have to try one of each. Thank you as always for sharing the traditions of your country, they are all so interesting.

133. Greek weddings sounds interesting, quite similar to South Asian weddings with week-long celebrations & dowry.
    These savory muffins look fantastic with so many variations.

135. Emily says:

What wonderful, colorful little muffins! And I loved the story about wedding traditions. They just don’t do weddings like they used to anymore! I love when you share traditions and history of your beautiful country!

I had no idea traditional Greek weddings were a week-long process! Crazy.

These muffins are so cute! I love how you get a different color and flavor with each one.

139. Lila says:

Μου άρεσαν πάρα πολύ ως ιδέα, οι συνδυασμοί δε είναι άπειροι!!
    Καλό Μήνα!!!!!
    Φιλάκια!!!

141. Καλημέρα Κατερίνα μου!
    Πολύ μου αρέσει που ταίριαξες τα χρώματα των μάφινς με αυτά του σερβίτσιου :)
    Ωραία και η ποικιλία, κάνει ιδιαίτερα δύσκολη την επιλογή!
    Φιλιά!

What an interesting post, Katerina. I had no idea the traditional Greek Wedding was celebrated so far in advance. I bet there were more than a couple of people who were exhausted by the time “the day” arrived:)

I never think to bake savory muffins. Yours look so yummy and the dinner set sounds amazing!

• Louise says:

Hi Katerina!
      I added you to the Pasta Month pinterest board. Have FUN! Yes, your recipe from June will be just great. I’ll email you the details. Louise

145. CCU says:

Haha in India weddings are a massive event as well, just keeps the fun going! 😀
    Love your cute colourful savoury treats :)

i can appreciate a savory muffin, especially when they’re so adorable and colorful like these! delicious work. :)

149. These muffins look so good colorful and flavorful.
    It was so much fun reading your week long wedding routine, how nice. It’s nice to see that how so many cultures are tied with some common things. How I wish we had all that now too..I miss those days.

Part of me thinks it’s a little sad we don’t follow those beautiful old traditions anymore!

153. mia maria says:

Υπέροχα τα μαφινάκια Κατερίνα μου! Δεν είναι περίεργο που τα φάγατε αμέσως! Με γεια το σερβίτσιο :)

I do like desserts and sweets, but I’m rather the type of person who takes the starter for dinner if she is still hungry in a restaurant, so I would definitely prefer your savoury muffins over any sweet version.
    The Greek traditional wedding sounds exhausting! Luckily it’s easier nowadays.

Interesting to read about the tradition, today’s life won’t allow for such long celebrations:)

Κατερίνα με κέρδισαν μετην πρώτη ματιά!!
    Θα τα φτιάξω στην επόμενη επίσκεψη του γιου.
    Καλή εβδομάδα