Puffy Nests Filled with Vanilla Cream and Apples

Puff Nests.JPG

I dreamed about this sweet! Seriously, I was sleeping a few days ago and I was dreaming about sweets. I woke up in the middle of the night and I said to myself: “These puffy nests will be the post on the coming Monday.”  Can you believe it? I guess I am crazy obsessed with cooking, baking and blogging lol.

I dreamed about these delicious, little nests and I thought that since fall is here, apples would be the perfect touch. As you say and actually we, in Greece too, say: “One apple per day keeps the doctor away.” Well, if they said so, they were probably right.

Apples appear in many religious traditions, often as a mystical or forbidden fruit.

Puff Nests.JPG

You all remember the movie ‘Troy’ where Greeks went against Troy to take back beautiful Helen wife of Menelaus of Sparta. I will forgive the many inaccuracies of the movie only because Brad Pitt played Achilles haha. In reality Achilles died in that war killed by Paris, who shot him in the heel with an arrow. But do you know that an apple was to blame for the bursting of this war?

Peleus and Thetis, Achilles’ parents when they got married, invited all gods except the Greek goddess of discord, Eris. She became very angry for not being invited to the wedding and in retaliation, she tossed a golden apple with the inscription ‘To the most beautiful one’ into the wedding party.

Puff Nests.JPG

After a big fight among the female goddesses, three left to claim the apple: Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite. They went to Zeus, but he was smart enough to avoid taking part and he appointed Paris of Troy to select the recipient. Hera promised him power, Athena wealth and wisdom and Aphrodite promised to give him the most beautiful woman in the world. Well, you know how men are, right? He eventually gave the apple to Aphrodite and she led him to Helen of Sparta and helped him abduct her. And that’s how, according to Homer, the Trojan War has started.

These little tartlets were so tasty! They combined the sweetness of the vanilla cream with the somewhat tanginess of the caramelized apples. I used vanilla bean to the cream along with vanilla extract and they gave the cream a beautiful flavor. You can skip adding syrup to the puff pastries, but I liked the sweetness the pastry hold because of the syrup.

Puff Nests.JPG

¼ tsp cinnamon

1 tbsp lemon juice

A splash of brandy

¼ cup water

Puff Nests.JPG

For the Cream

Whisk to dissolve the flours and turn on the stove to medium/high.

Cut the vanilla bean in half and scrape the inside.

Add this and the vanilla extract and continue to whisk.

Remove from fire and add the margarine and the egg yolks whisking constantly.

Puff Nests.JPG

For the Puff Nests

Preheat oven to 175° C / 350° F.

Take a muffin pan, butter it and place the puff pastries making nests.

Cut parchment paper in so many pieces as the puff pastries, in this case 10.

Place them on top of the puff pastries and fill them with lentils or beans.

Bake them for about 20 minutes or until golden.

Puff Nests.JPG

For the Syrup

Remove from fire.

Bathe each one of the puff pastries for one minute.

Take them out, put them in a rack and let them drain.

Puff Nests.JPG

For the Apples

Assembly

Take the puff nest and add one slice of apple.

Fill with the cream and on top garnish with another one slice of apple.

Puff Nests.JPG

• ½ cup sugar
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • A splash of brandy
  • ¼ cup water
For the Cream
  1. In a deep pot pour the milk, heavy cream, sugar, corn starch and all-purpose flour.
  2. Whisk to dissolve the flours and turn on the stove to medium/high.
  3. When the milk starts to become hot start to whisk until the cream starts to thicken.
  4. Cut the vanilla bean in half and scrape the inside.
  5. Add this and the vanilla extract and continue to whisk.
  6. Remove from fire and add the margarine and the egg yolks whisking constantly.
  7. Let it cool at room temperature and then place it in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
For the Puff Nests
  1. Preheat oven to 175° C / 350° F.
  2. Take a muffin pan, butter it and place the puff pastries making nests.
  3. Cut parchment paper in so many pieces as the puff pastries, in this case 10.
  4. Place them on top of the puff pastries and fill them with lentils or beans.
  5. Bake them for about 20 minutes or until golden.
  6. Remove from the oven, remove the lentils and parchment paper and let them cool completely.
For the Syrup
  1. In a deep pot add all the ingredients of the syrup and boil for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the temperature arrives at 100° C/ 212° F.
  2. Remove from fire.
  3. Bathe each one of the puff pastries for one minute.
  4. Take them out, put them in a rack and let them drain.
For the Apples
  1. In a skillet add the apples, the sugar, the lemon juice, the cinnamon and water and cook in low heat until they are soft and caramelized.
  2. Add the splash of cognac and either flambé them or let them cook for a minute or two.
Assembly
  1. Take the puff nest and add one slice of apple.
  2. Fill with the cream and on top garnish with another one slice of apple.

Φωλιές Σφολιάτας με Κρέμα Βανίλιας και Καραμελωμένα Μήλα

• ½ φλ. ζάχαρη
  • ¼ κ.γ. κανέλα
  • 1 κ.σ. χυμό λεμονιού
  • Ένα σφηνάκι κονιάκ
  • ¼ φλ. νερό
Για την Κρέμα
  1. Σε μια βαθιά κατσαρόλα ρίχνουμε το γάλα, την κρέμα γάλακτος, τη ζάχαρη, το κορν φλάουρ και το αλεύρι.
  2. Χτυπάμε με το σύρμα για να διαλύθουν όλα αυτά και ανοίγουμε την εστία στη μέτρια θερμοκρασία.
  3. Ανακατεύουμε μέχρι η κρέμα να αρχίσει να δένει.
  4. Κόβουμε το λοβό της βανίλιας στη μέση και ξύνουμε για να βγει το εσωτερικό του.
  5. Το ρίχνουμε στην κρέμα μαζί με το εκχύλισμα βανίλιας και συνεχίζουμε να ανακατεύουμε μέχρι να δέσει η κρέμα.
  6. Βγάζουμε από τη φωτιά και προσθέτουμε τη μαργαρίνη και τους κρόκους των αυγών ανακατεύοντας συνεχώς.
  7. Αφήνουμε να κρυώσει σε θερμοκρασία δωματίου, και στη συνέχεια το τοποθετούμε στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον 3 ώρες.
Για τα Σφολιατάκια
  1. Προθερμαίνουμε το φούρνο στους 175° C.
  2. Παίρνουμε ένα ταψί για μάφινς το βουτυρώνουμε και τοποθετούμε τα σφολιατάκια κάνοντας φωλιές.
  3. Κόβουμε χαρτί ψησίματος σε τόσα κομμάτια όσα και τα σφολιατάκια μας, εν προκειμένω 10.
  4. Τα βάζουμε πάνω στα σφολιατάκια και τα γεμίζουμε με φακές ή φασόλια.
  5. Ψήνουμε για περίπου 20 λεπτά ή μέχρι να ροδίσουν.
  6. Βγάζουμε από το φούρνο, αφαιρούμε τις φακές και το χαρτί ψησίματος και αφήνουμε να κρυώσουν εντελώς.
Για το Σιρόπι
  1. Σε μια βαθιά κατσαρόλα προσθέτουμε όλα τα υλικά του σιροπιού και τα βράζουμε για περίπου 2 έως 3 λεπτά ή έως ότου η θερμοκρασία φθάνει σε 100°C.
  2. Βγάζουμε από τη φωτιά.
  3. Βάλτε κάθε ένα από τα σφολιατάκια στην κατσαρόλα με το σιρόπι για ένα λεπτό.
  4. Βγάλτε το έξω και βάλτε το σε μία σχάρα και αφήστε να στραγγίσει.
  5. Το ίδιο κάνουμε και για τα υπόλοιπα.
Για τα Μήλα
  1. Σε ένα τηγάνι προσθέτουμε τα μήλα, τη ζάχαρη, το χυμό λεμονιού, την κανέλα και το νερό και ψήνουμε σε χαμηλή φωτιά μέχρι να μαλακώσουν και να καραμελώσουν.
  2. Προσθέτουμε το κονιάκ και είτε τα φλαμπάρουμε ή τα αφήνουμε να σωταριστούν για ένα λεπτό ή δύο.
Συναρμολόγηση
  1. Πάρτε το σφολιατάκι και προσθέστε μια φέτα του μήλου.
  2. Γεμίστε με την κρέμα και από πάνω γαρνίρετε με μια άλλη μια φέτα μήλου.

photo 9c2d3d39-9e5d-4351-b060-d6251ee13eaa_zpseda17cd5.jpg

48 Responses to Puffy Nests Filled with Vanilla Cream and Apples

1. Loriann says:

These look so good I would probably eat them all! Excellent job!

3. A delicious sweet treat Katerina for a very special Valentine dessert.

5. Lisa says:

These look SO good! Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I am featuring you this week! :-) Be sure to stop by and grab an “I’ve been featured” button from my sidebar for your blog. I look forward to seeing what you’ll share this week.

Hi Katrina,
    I just love the history you always make it so interesting. Your dessert look delicious and we would just love it, and a great tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, and have a great weekend.

9. Thank you so much for sharing this with the Less Laundry, More Linking party. This looks awesome, I will have to try this soon. Pinning this to our party board.

11. Michelle says:

These look yummy! I have been completely in the mood for apples this fall. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

13. What beautiful dreams you have! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe on the Friday Foodie Friends linkey. I have pinned and liked it and am looking forward to making it. Deb @ Kneaded Creations

15. Sara Howe says:

One word….YUM!!! I’d love if you’d stop by and link up over at Feed Me Friday

17. TaMara says:

These look delicious! Thanks for sharing at Food on Friday.

Katerina, I love reading your posts so much! You know, as a teenager I loved Greek mythology so much I read my favourite Greek myths book several times in a row.
    The tarts look delicious and cute. I am not surprised you dreamt about them! (I also dream about food quite often… I suppose we are both obsessed 😉 ).
    PS I’m so sorry for such a late comment. I was on holidays in Japan and it was so busy, I hardly had any time to go on internet.

21. OLGA LOPEZ says:

wow you have a fantastic and delicious recipes.
    Regards
    Olguis.

Fabulous little treats! Now I’m going to be dreaming about them! Great idea to add the apples and perfect for the fall.

25. It is time to start picking apples in our orchard and this is a wonderful way to use some of them. Your nests filled with the cream and apples sounds wonderful.

27. These puffy nests filled with decadent vanilla cream!! YUM!! Looks so so cute!!!

Delicious little gems, Katerina. We love pastry cream….usually use summer fruit with it, but using apples is a super idea.

wow these look great and perfect for apple season

I will happily eat an apple a day, especially in the form of these gorgeous tarts!

35. So yummy, fantastic pastry nests! This would be a perfect dessert for fall!

37. Amy Tong says:

These are the perfect nests for Fall! I love the flavor and how adorable they look. :)

39. Oh yum! Your desserts always look and sound so delicious. This one is no exception!

41. rosita says:

Una realización perfecta se ve muy rico y tentador,abrazos.

43. wow, what a fancy dessert!
    cinnamon and apple is always win my hearth…

45. WOW!!
    This is an amazing recipe, from an obviously inspiring dream.
    I dream in sweets too… and then I wake up hungry :( Love this dessert :)

47. You definitely have the best dreams in the world – these sound like such heavenly desserts!

49. Μarion says:

Τώρα το ονειρεύομαι κι εγώ Κατερίνα μου
    Πάρα πολύ ωραία και ο συνδυασμός της κρέμας με τα καραμελωμένα μήλα κάνουν ένα γλυκάκι σουπερ

Πάλι μου βάζεις ιδέες :)

Φιλιά πολλά

51. Iglika says:

Πολύ όμορφο και νόστιμο! Ιγκλικα

When I was a child, I used to love reading the Greek myths. The story you mentioned was one of the first I read. I never understood why he didn’t pick Athena! (I loved school, loved to read, and I guess I self-identified with Athena.) Thanks for bringing back these memories.

55. This looks delicious. I will be making a tart soon, but it is still to hot here for me.

57. Loved reading your post especially the story of the golden apple.
    The puffy nests look lovely and have such amazing flavors.

59. gloria says:

love these puffy nests!!!

Oh, how I love apple desserts! Your nests look fantastic!

63. Love the combo and looks fabulous!

65. These are really gorgeous, I can see why you were dreaming about them!

67. So impressed by these puffy nests, they look sublime. Wow I usually dream about people chasing me, not food. And anyway sounds like apples can get you in too much trouble 😉

69. What gorgeous photos!! What a sweet dream…and it came true!

Such a beautiful dessert Katerina, like the idea of pairing apples and cream…and the puff dough for the nest looks great with the syrup…
    Hope you are having a wonderful week my dear 😀

73. I can’t get enough apples right now! These treats look wonderful and I love that you dreamed them into existence. :) Truly a girl after my own heart. I’m also a big fan of mythology and I really enjoyed the accompanying story!

75. Υπέροχα κι “ονειρεμένα”
    Γεια στα χέρια σου και στα …όνειρά σου Κατερίνα μου :))

77. Trisha says:

These look divine!! x

79. Σε νιώθω Κατερίνα μου!
    Κι εγώ σκέφτομαι υπερβολικά πολύ το φαγητό και έχω μεταμεσονύκτιες αναλαμπές!
    Υπέροχες οι φωλιές με την απαραίτητη φθινοπωρινή πινελιά!
    Μου αρέσει που η βάση έχει ποτιστεί σε σιρόπι και που η κρέμα είναι τόσο πλούσια!

81. wow..these syrup bathed pastry nests with vanilla cream look seriously tempting!

83. Oh! I love these little nests. And the vanilla cream. And the apples. So pretty and they sound delicious.

85. Margarita says:

Love the mythology tidbit here! I have always been a Greek mythology fan. These apple puffs look crazy delicious!

87. What an interesting post. Never knew so many details. My teen would love to read your post, will definitely show it to him the moment he gets back from school.
    Now, to the tarts, how lovely it and yummy looking.

Such adorably puffy nests!

91. Syntages mas says:

Katerina!! you’re making me drool! I really enjoy your dreams too and wish my recipes (and such good ones) came to me in a dream as well!! I’m definitely gonna make those!! thanks a lot!!

93. mia maria says:

I like your dreams! My dreams are not so sweet, LOL!
    Your little nests look delicious!

95. Jeannie says:

A lovely story indeed as is your crumptious tarts.:)