Little Chocolate Baklava Bites

Chocolate Baklava.JPG

As I have mentioned to you before, Greece was under the Ottoman Empire for 400 years between 1453 and 1821 when the rebellion of Greeks has started, in order to be released from the Turkish chains. But even after the 1821 only one small part of Greece was liberated. It took another 126 years in 1947 until Greece has acquired the shape which we all know today.
One hundred and twenty six years later, in 1947 and after constant wars, negotiations, diplomatic maneuvers and thousands of people lost in battlefields, Greece eventually became the country that it is today.
Because of the close relation with Turkey and our geographic position, which is close to the Middle East, our kitchen has influences by all the neighboring countries of the Mediterranean.

Chocolate Baklava.JPG
Baklava is a sweet that is made in many countries from Greece to India. There are many variations and all of them are delicious. In Greece we make baklava with walnuts and almonds. Other than that, we basically follow the standard procedure with which everyone makes this sweet.
I love baklava although I don’t get to eat it very often lately because of the amount of calories it contains. Also, you all know that I am a big, huge fan of chocolate. Yes, chocolate is my ultimate satisfaction when it comes to sweets. So, last week I had this idea of combining a traditional sweet as is baklava with my love for chocolate. Thus, these little chocolate baklava bites were created and let me tell you, they were out of this world. I made them during the weekend because it needs for the recipe to be made in two stages. First make the baklava and bathe it into syrup and next day after they have soaked as much syrup as possible, you throw them into chocolate. I am telling you it cannot be more decadent and sinful than this! The recipe for the baklava is loosely adapted from Areti Vardaka’s recipe for Olive oil Baklava. Areti is an fb acquaintance and she is a passionate cook as well. I made several changes to the original recipe, I used my own syrup recipe and of course I bathed everything in chocolate.

Chocolate Baklava.JPG

1 tbsp lemon juice

Chocolate Baklava.JPG

For the Chocolate Cover
1 kilo/ 2 lb. chocolate, 65% cocoa

First Day
For the Baklava
Preheat oven to 225°C/ 437° F.
In a small bowl mix the ¼ cup corn oil with the ¼ cup olive oil.
Take a pan with dimensions 24cmX36cm/ 10in.X14in. and oil it very well.
Take the phylo sheets and cut them in half from their longer side.
Brush it with oil from the olive/corn oil mixture.
Place the second phylo sheet on top of it.

Chocolate Baklava.JPG
Oil it again.
In the microwave heat the 2/3 cup of olive oil until it becomes very hot and pour it on top of the baklava parcels.
Bake at the above mentioned temperature for 6 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let them cool completely.
Cut them in bite size.
My wraps yielded 4 each.

Chocolate Baklava.JPG

For the Syrup
Let them rest and soak as much syrup as possible.
I let them stay overnight.

Chocolate Baklava.JPG

Second Day
Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
Take a parchment paper and cover a large pan.

Chocolate Baklava.JPG
Place the baklava bites and pour on top of each one the chocolate.
Make sure the chocolate covers all the sides of the little baklavas.
Placethem in the fridge and leave them for about ½ hour or until the chocolate becomes hard.

Chocolate Baklava.JPG

With this recipe I am participating to Chocolate Party at Roxanna’s Home Baking

Chocolate Baklava.JPG

Little Chocolate Baklava Bites

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Sweet
  • 1 package of phylo
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. almonds, crumbled
  • 200 gr. / 7 oz. walnuts, crumbled
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 scant tsp ground cloves
  • 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. sugar
  • 1 tsp breadcrumbs
  • ¼ cup corn oil
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Syrup
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2 cloves
  • 2 lemon rinds
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the Chocolate Cover
  • 1 kilo/ 2 lb. chocolate, 65% cocoa
First Day
For the Baklava
  1. Preheat oven to 225°C/ 437° F.
  2. In a bowl mix the almonds, the walnuts, the cinnamon, the cloves, the sugar and the breadcrumbs.
  3. In a small bowl mix the ¼ cup corn oil with the ¼ cup olive oil.
  4. Take a pan with dimensions 24cmX36cm/ 10in.X14in. and oil it very well.
  5. Take the phylo sheets and cut them in half from their longer side.
  6. Take one and place it on the bench in front of you with its short side towards you.
  7. Brush it with oil from the olive/corn oil mixture.
  8. Place the second phylo sheet on top of it.
  9. Oil it again.
  10. Add two spoonfuls of the almond/walnut filling just couple of centimeters from the edge of the phylo in the center leaving space on the right and left sides.
  11. Start to wrap it up and couple of wraps before the end turn the two sides towards the center so as to seal it up.
  12. Place it in the oiled pan and follow the same procedure with the rest of the phylos until they finish.
  13. In the microwave heat the ⅔ cup of olive oil until it becomes very hot and pour it on top of the baklava parcels.
  14. Bake at this temperature for 6 minutes.
  15. Reduce temperature to 200° C/ 400° F and bake for another 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature once more to 175° C/ 350° F and bake for another 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
  16. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely.
  17. Cut them in bite size.
  18. My wraps yielded 4 each.
For the Syrup
  1. In a deep pot add all the ingredients of the syrup and boil for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the temperature arrives at 100° C/ 212° F.
  2. Remove from the fire and with a ladle pour the syrup over the baklava bites so as to spread evenly among them.
  3. Let them rest and soak as much syrup as possible.
  4. I let them stay overnight.
Second Day
  1. Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
  2. Take a parchment paper and cover a large pan.
  3. Pour an amount of chocolate and spread it on top of parchment paper so as to cover it leaving a margin about 3 to 4 cm / 1 to 1.5 in. around.
  4. Place the baklava bites and pour on top of each one the chocolate.
  5. Make sure the chocolate covers all the sides of the little baklavas.
  6. Place it in the fridge and leave them for about ½ hour or until the chocolate thickens.
Recipe for baklava adapted from Areti Vardaka

Μπακλαβαδάκια με Σοκολάτα

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Γλυκό
  • 1 συσκευασία φύλλου
  • 200γρ. αμύγδαλα, τριμμένα
  • 200 γρ καρύδια, τριμμένα
  • 2 κ.γ. κανέλα
  • 1 κ.γ. γαρύφαλο
  • 100 γρ. ζάχαρη
  • 1 κ.γ. τριμμένη φρυγανιά
  • ¼ φλ. καλαμποκέλαιο
  • ¼ φλ. ελαιόλαδο
  • ⅔ φλ. έξτρα παρθένο ελαιόλαδο
Για το Σιρόπι
  • 1 φλ. νερό
  • 2 φλ. ζάχαρη
  • 1 ξυλάκι κανέλας
  • 2 γαρύφαλα
  • 2 φλούδες λεμονιού
  • 1 κ.σ. χυμό λεμονιού
Για την Κάλυψη με Σοκολάτα
  • 1 κιλό σοκολάτα, 65% κακάο
Πρώτη Ημέρα
Για τον Μπακλαβά
  1. Προθερμένετε το φούρνο στους 225° C.
  2. Σε ένα μπολ ανακατέψτε τα αμύγδαλα, τα καρύδια, την κανέλα, το γαρίφαλο, τη ζάχαρη και τη φρυγανιά.
  3. Σε ένα μικρό μπολ ανακατέψτε το ¼ φλ. καλαμποκέλαιο με το ¼ φλ. ελαιόλαδο.
  4. Πάρτε ένα ταψί με διαστάσεις 24cmX36cm και λαδώστε το πολύ καλά.
  5. Πάρτε τα φύλλα και κόψτε τα στη μέση από την μαγαλύτερη πλευρά τους.
  6. Πάρτε ένα φύλλο με τη στενότερη πλευρά προς το μέρος σας.
  7. Λαδώστε το και τοποθετήστε το δεύτερο φύλλο από πάνω.
  8. Λαδώστε ξανά.
  9. Προσθέστε δύο κουταλιές από το μίγμα αμύγδαλου/καρυδιού στην άκρη του φύλλου και στο κέντρο αφήνοντας χώρο στις πλευρές δεξιά και αριστερά.
  10. Ξεκινήστε να τυλίγετε και λίγο πριν από το τέλος τυλίξτε τις δύο ακτές προς το κέντρο ώστε να σφραγίσει και από τα πλάγια.
  11. Βάλτε το στο λαδωμένο ταψί και ακολουθήστε την ίδια διαδικασία με τα υπόλοιπα φύλλα μέχρι να τελειώσουν.
  12. Στο φούρνο μικροκυμάτων ζεσταίνετε τα ⅔ φλιτζάνιου ελαιόλαδο μέχρι να γίνει πολύ καυτό και ρίξτε το πάνω από τις φλογέρες του μπακλαβά.
  13. Ψήστε στους 225° C για 6 λεπτά.
  14. Μείωστε τη θερμοκρασία στους 200° C και ψήστε για άλλα 10 λεπτά και στη συνέχεια μειώστε πάλι τη θερμοκρασία στους 175° C και ψήστε για άλλα 10 λεπτά ή έως ότου πάρουν ένα ροδοκόκκινο χρώμα.
  15. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο και αφήστε να κρυώσει εντελώς.
  16. Κόψτε σε μικρές μπουκιές.
  17. Η κάθε φλογέρα δίνει περίπου 4 κομμάτια.
Για το Σιρόπι
  1. Σε μια βαθιά κατσαρόλα προσθέστε όλα τα υλικά του σιροπιού και τα βράστε για περίπου 2 έως 3 λεπτά ή έως ότου η θερμοκρασία φθάνει σε 100° C.
  2. Κατεβάστε από τη φωτιά και με μια κουτάλα χύστε το σιρόπι πάνω από τις μπουκιές του μπακλαβά, ώστε να τις καλύψει όλες.
  3. Αφήστε τις να ξεκουραστούν και να απορροφούν όσο περισσότερο σιρόπι γίνεται.
  4. Εγώ τα άφησα όλο το βράδι.
Δεύτερη Ημέρα
  1. Λιώστε τη σοκολάτα στο φούρνο μικροκυμάτων.
  2. Πάρτε ένα χαρτί ψησίματος και καλύψτε ένα μεγάλο ταψί.
  3. Ρίξτε μια ποσότητα της σοκολάτας και απλώστε τη πάνω στο χαρτί έτσι ώστε να το καλύψει αφήνοντας ένα περιθώριο 3 έως 4 cm γύρω γύρω.
  4. Τοποθετήστε τις μπουκιές μπακλαβά και ρίξτε από πάνω από την κάθε μία σοκολάτα.
  5. Βεβαιωθείτε ότι η σοκολάτα καλύπτει όλες τις πλευρές τους.
  6. Βάλτε στο ψυγείο και αφήστε για 1 ½ ώρα περίπου ή μέχρι να πήξει η σοκολάτα.
Η συνταγή για τον Μπακλαβά είναι προσαρμογή από αυτή της Αρετής Βαρδάκα

100 Responses to Little Chocolate Baklava Bites

1. Jann says:

Any substitute for all the sugar?

3. Sonia says:

I love Baklava and this chocolate version looks delicious!

6. Diane says:

These look so addicting. Bites sized chocolate beauties. Perfect for a party!

8. Tara says:

My daughter would be nuts for these, her favorite is baklava!!

10. I love the step by step instructions. They are so helpful.

12. I love chocolate and baklava. This is very delicious.

14. I’ve never had chocolate baklava, looks wonderful!

16. Thank you so much for this very well explained recipe with pictures. Without that I think I would never dare trying this recipe. Now it looks so much easier! :)

18. I love that these baklava are chocolate! Baklava is so awesome to begin with, and you made it even better! Yum!

20. Kristen says:

this is pure genius!

22. Manila Spoon says:

Little bites of deliciousness! Love these yummy morsels!

24. What an absolutely brilliant idea – two of my favorite things in one bite.

26. Diane says:

These look so tempting! I love all the process pictures in this post. This recipe is a bit of work so I’m glad your showing us how to do it right! My Great Greandma was Checkloslovakian and she made baklava. I can’t find her recipe. Maybe I’ll use yours!

28. Oh my, I could eat many of these delicious bites.

30. I must try making baklava, they are so delicious.

32. LydiaF says:

Baklava and chocolate together sounds amazing :)

34. my husband will love these…I can’t wait to try it.

36. Elizabeth says:

Oh these sound AMAZING! Such a great idea!

38. I love this chocolate covered Baklava…what a beautiful recipe and step by step instructions.

40. What delicious bites, it doesn’t get much more delicious than these.

42. Susan Lester says:

Wow, Katerina! These look amazing and are truly a work of love!

44. Mary Ellen says:

These look delicious! I would of never thought of dipping them in chocolate.

46. Hadia says:

Katerina you have combined my favorite sweets together, baklava and chocolate. What could be better than that. I hope I could reach my hand through the screen and grab a piece!

48. Aunt Bee says:

These look amazing! Your pictures are stunning!

51. G’day! Absolutely gorgeous! Stunning step by step photos!
    Cheers! Joanne

53. I bet these taste amazing Katerina. I want one right now!!!

55. Individual servings and little bites are my favorite way to showcase foods! <3

57. Shelby says:

I love Baklava. I have only made it once but your post has made me decide that I will make it again and make it as chocolate covered bites! This may be the treat I make to have when my parents come to visit! Gorgeous photos.

59. This is such a great idea! I love the sound of coating baklava in chocolate (ok, coating anything in chocolate, really…), and making them in bite-size pieces is even better. I wanted to let you know that I’ve featured your post on my blog’s Weekend-Wrap Up — I’ve included the link below in case you’re interested. Thanks for some amazing blogging, and enjoy your weekend!

61. Veronica says:

Oh man, bite sized pieces of baklava dipped in dark chocolate!? I think I am in heaven!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe at our Halloween/Fall Linky Party! I am one of the co-hosts from MorningNooNight! :)

Hi Katrina,
    I just love Baklava, thank you so much for showing us exactly how to make this awesome treat. I can almost taste it! Hope you are having a fantastic weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!

66. These are gorgeous! I bet they are as delicious as they look!

68. Nat D. says:

Wow! I’m not kidding – this has to be the best thing I’ve since in AWHILE! Pinning it, promoting it…whatever I can do. <3 it!

70. Ginger says:

Stopping over from DIY Vintage Chic. — Chocolate & Baklavah?? Sounds like a scrumptious combination!

If you’re interested, I’d love if you shared this at my Show & Tell party going on right now. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/09/show-tell-45.html

72. Becca says:

Congrats! You were featured on Friday’s Five Features over on DIY Vintage Chic. Stop by and grab yourself a button!

74. Chocolate Baklava? No one has told me about that!!! Sounds divine! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #31.

~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com

76. lisa says:

This looks amazing! Baklava is so good on its own, but with chocolate, it must be fabulous!

78. Heather says:

Those look sinfully dangerous! I think I will save these to try out for Thanksgiving. Yumm!

80. Who’d of thought of dipping Baklava in chocolate! What a great idea! I’ve gotta pin this! Deb @ Kneaded Creations

82. Beautiful and delicious! Thanks for sharing at Tasty Tuesday! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

84. Bismah says:

Wow! This looks so delicious and amazing! I have only ever made one Baklava dessert, not with chocolate. Looks like I now have a new one to try. Thank you for sharing!
    Stopping by from the “Tuesdays Table Link Up”. Following you on G+ and Facebook. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
    Have a great week :)
    Bismah @
    Simple Mama

87. Before I met baklava, chocolates were my ultimate food euphoria, then came baklava and stole the throne.
    But this?! Oh my GOOOOOOOOOD-NESS!:)

Hi. I saw you partying at WHATS SHAKIN

kissesfromhome

89. Robin says:

These look amazing – I love Baklava and covered in all of that chocolaty goodness send them over the top. Thank you for sharing at this weeks Creative Muster. Now that you found our party I hope that you continue to join us every Tuesday evening.

91. Diane Balch says:

I’ve never seen such a chocolatey version of baklava… wonderful. Thank you for sharing them with us on foodie friday.

93. LuAnn Braley says:

New subscriber from Bouquet of Talent at Life on Lakeshore Drive.

Baklava is my all-time favorite dessert. I’d rather have baklava on my birthday than cake!

95. Nicole says:

These look too pretty to eat! :) Thanks for sharing at Let’s Get Real!

97. Nabeela says:

These look amazing, definitely going to try this fro when I’m feeling brave! Thanks so much for the history lesson too, I’m an art history graduate so it was a great read!

99. TaMara says:

So elegant looking! Thanks for sharing at Food on Friday.

101. Wow! I can’t even imagine how amazing that would taste. Baklava is so sweet and decadent on its own and now you are adding the love of my life, chocolate! You have outdone yourself. Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with our Let’s Get Real readers. Your posts always have such interesting information to go with your amazing recipes. What a treat to have you join us.

103. Emily says:

I don’t make sweets very often… I am not much of a baker and don’t have as much of a sweet tooth as I used to… but I do like Greek food and these look really good! Also, thank you for the interesting bit of Greek history. I didn’t know any of that! (nor that baklava isn’t JUST from Greece!) :)

Oh my gosh Katerina these little bites look so sinfully delicious!!! I love reading your posts about Greece. I love all kinds of Mediterranean dishes but I sure have a weakness for Baklava especially when it is bathed in chocolate (which I’ve never seen before, lol:)

I too cringe at the thought of working with phylo so I already know I will probably never make these but, I sure can dream! I’m also curious. I thought Baklava was only made with honey. Now I know you can use sugar too.

Thanks for sharing, Katerina…

107. I have a huge weakness for baklava — love these cute little decadent bites!!

109. Katerina, I am speechless! Chocolate baklava is a genius idea, looks spectacular!

111. I have never seen chocolate coated baklava beofre. It looks so delicate and delicious!

113. Awww these look so cute. I have never tasted a chocolate covered baklava, but I am sure it is twice as delicious as the regular one. Your desserts are inspiring.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

Oh Katerina, You have left me drooling! I know I will be trying these in the future…decadently gorgeous!

117. Damn, i can imagine how great this baklava gonna taste like….
    bitter sweet chocklate with nutty stuffing and crispy baklava testure, heavently!

119. this is genius!! These bites look absolutely irresistible – I’ve gotta try these asap!

Decadent is the right word for this delicious bite! I’ve always found baklava to be the most decadent dessert there is, but I guess I was wrong. Cover it in chocolate and it’s the most decadent dessert there is! WOW!

They really do sound decadent! I always associated baklava with Greece until a few years ago, when I realized other countries were known for it too.

baklava is one of my favorite desserts, and you’ve definitely escalated it here! delicious!

Extraordinary idea! I have never ever seen baklava in chocolate and luckily because I think I wouldn’t be able to stop eating. I am not fan of baklava because it’s always too sweet for my taste, but dark chocolate must make it dangerously bitter and irresistible. Your chocolate baklava looks so luscious especially to a chocolate addict like me 😉

129. Claire Davis says:

wow!! so elegant and lovely. I will be have to try this one for my next party.

Those ARE decadent, Katerina! Love your baklava recipe…enjoyed it in Greece and figured no point in trying it anyplace else. Who could make it better? So am happy to have your recipe….

133. Balvinder says:

Indian cuisine is also influenced by its neighbouring countries and people who ruled India, so here we share some similarity with Greece. Katerina, Baklava is already a delicious sweet by coating in chocolate you have brought it to a next level.

135. Julie says:

I wish I had one (or two) of these! Delicious and beautiful!!

137. I could never eat just one of these chocolate baklava bites. These are a perfect size to be enjoyed. I love baklava. Delicious!

Velva

Une version de baklawa très originale. Bravo Katerina pour ton ingéniosité et ta gourmandise.
    J’en mangerai avec plaisir.

141. cquek says:

look fabulous and I bet they taste even better

143. You are a genius!! I didn’t think baklava could get much better but dunk it in chocolate and, well, there you have it. I live near a few amazing Middle Eastern bakeries so I’ve always been too lazy to make baklava on my own (especially since the bakeries do it so well) but you have me convinced!

Το είδα στο fb και με λίγωσες.

Αγαπημένος μπακλαβάς. Και με την σοκολάτα τον έκανες ακόμα πιο ωραίο Κατερίνα μου
    Ωραία ιδέα οι μπουκίτσες, για κέρασμα ότι πρέπει.

Ωραίες φωτογραφίες :)

ΦΙλια πολλά

147. Ooh…chocolate baklava! Intriguing!

wow these look divine and cool history to know I thought the cuisines for the two countries had similarities

151. Tante Kiki says:

Ααααα!! Καταπληκτικές μπουκιές και καταπληκτική παρουσίαση Κατερίνα μου!!!
    Καλό φθινόπωρο!!!
    Να περνάς καλά και φιλιά!!! -:))

Beatiful presentation! It looks very modern and tasty!

155. These chocolate baklava look decadent, Katerina. Nuts, chocolate and flaky pastry…totally divine!

OMG,
    This looks sinfully delicious!!! What a fantastic idea of chocolate baklava. Love this!!!

159. It is always nice reading your posts and learning about the Greek history. Indian too gained independence from the British rule in 1947. Just like India, Greek history and culture is rich.

The chocolate baklava sounds awesome!!! I am sure these are addictive.

161. Baklava is something I love, everytime I eat it! I loved this chocolate-coated baklava. You have made these so well. If you consider selling these baklavas, I am sure, these will be sold out in no time!

163. Jeannie says:

Hi Katerina,

You are so clever to roll your baklava piece by piece instead of layering sheet by sheet. This is so much easier to do, I think…looks wonderful!

165. Baklava is one of my favorite sweets, and you have taken it to another level with chocolate. How could we stop binging on these. Amazing looking dessert, I am sure it tastes heavenly.

I love baklava but never attempted to make as I get kind of nervous working with phylo…like them covered with chocolate and the small size…yum!
    Have a wonderful week ahead Katerina 😀

169. divya says:

looks yummy.. tempting…

Goodness! These look too decadent!! Great recipe. (These are lo-cal, right? LOL)

173. I am glad cuisine wise the two nations get along, so many wonderful flavors. And WOW on this baklava, I am a chocolate addict too.

175. CCU says:

I love the chocage twist to baklava they look delicious :)

177. Oh…brilliant! Looks so good!

179. gloria says:

Love these beauties:))

Chocolate is a nice addition to my favorite Greek sweet.

183. chocolates and baklava together is heavenly….such drool worthy bites….irresistibly tempting :-)

Αυτή η ανάρτηση είναι μια μεγάλη πρόκληση αλλά μόλις γύρισα και δεν έχω τη δύναμη να ξεκινήσω, όχι τίποτα άλλο αύριο έχει γενέθλια και πάλι με κάτι πρόχειρο θα τη βγάλω.

187. Τι ωραία φωτογράφηση Κατερίνα!
    Ο μπακλαβάς είναι από τα λίγα σιροπιαστά γλυκά που τρώω και μου αρέσουν! Η επικάλυψη με σοκολάτα τον κάνει άκρως ακαταμάχητο!!
    Φιλιά πολλά!

189. I love baklava and have never had it covered in chocolate. Sounds great, would love to give this a try. I have never made it before and it’s on my short list to try. I have what is probably an unsubstantiated fear of working with phyllo. I have to try making this.

191. Zambia says:

Πολύ όμορφη και σίγουρα νόστιμη η πρόταση σου για σοκολατένιες μπουκίτσες μπακλαβά!

Πολλά εύγε!
    Z.

193. Love Baklava and these chocolate ones look so delicious! It’ll be hard to stop at one bite. :) They look beautiful with the lemon zest garnish on top. :)