Lemony Shrimps

Lemony Shrimps.JPG

Greece is surrounded by sea. According to encyclopedias, Greece has the 11th longest coastline in the world at 13,676 km (8,498 miles) in length, with approximately 1,400 islands, of which 227 are inhabited. From the ancient ages all civilizations that lived in this part of the world had a very close and strong connection to the sea. From Minoans to Mycenaeans and from Athenians to Macedonians, Greeks have developed a numerous and very capable fleet, commercial and warship. They were skilled merchants and at the same time fearless sailors and warriors. Their ships were sailing all over Mediterranean Sea selling local products and buying wealth from the countries of the Middle East and southern Europe.

In the modern years the shipping industry is a very important sector of the Greek economy accounting for 4.5% of GDP.

Lemony Shrimps.JPG

During the 1960s, two men Aristotle Onassis and Stavros Niarchos helped our country’s fleet to double. I am sure you all have heard of at least one of them and perhaps you have seen one or all the movies depicting their lives, which were full of passion, love, betrayal, hatred, wealth, and controversies, elements that make a good soap opera.

According to a United Nations Conference on Trade and Development report in 2011, the Greek merchant navy is the largest in the world at 16.2% of the world’s total capacity.

Traditionally the inhabitants of our islands were the main pool from which ship owners were staffing their vessels. All the others who were left behind, they were becoming either fishermen or they were collecting sponges. Very difficult jobs both of them and very dangerous. Many men were lost along with their fishing boats because of storms, while others were left paralyzed or with serious health issues because of decompression sickness.

Lemony Shrimps.JPG

Fish constitutes a very important and common ingredient in Greek cooking and all Greeks enjoy eating all the food sea provides. Our fish and seafood are saltier than those of the ocean, because of the largest concentration of salt in the Mediterranean Sea.

Shrimps are very popular and widely eaten here! Every time I try to find a new way to cook them and make yet another tasty meal for the family. This time I decided to make them with a lemony sauce. It is a dish similar to shrimps scampi but with a few differences. It was so delicious! The combination of lemon and honey gave a sweet and sour flavor to the shrimps and pasta was the perfect bed for them to release their flavors. This is an easy, quick and very tasty meal very appropriate for the busy weekdays, but also ideal for a Sunday with less cooking and more relaxing!

Lemony Shrimps.JPG

½ tsp dried oregano

½ tsp dried basil

3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

1 tbsp honey

Salt and pepper

Lemony Shrimps.JPG

Add the garlic and sauté for a minute, until fragrant.

Add the wine, the lemon, salt and pepper, the dried herbs and the honey, increase the heat to medium/high and sauté until remains half the quantity.

Throw the shrimps and parsley and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.

Lemony Shrimps.JPG

Toss to mix the sauce with the spaghetti and serve while warm.

Tip: If the sauce is somewhat runny, thicken it by adding to it 1tsp of corn starch dissolved in 1 tsp of water.

Lemony Shrimps.JPG

• 3 tbsp lemon juice
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • ½ tsp dried basil
  • 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • Salt and pepper
  1. In a skillet in medium heat, sauté the onion and peppers until they become soft.
  2. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute, until fragrant.
  3. Add the wine, the lemon, salt and pepper, the dried herbs and the honey, increase the heat to medium/high and sauté until it remains half the quantity.
  4. Throw the shrimps and parsley and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
  5. While you make the shrimps prepare the spaghetti and when they are ready drain them and throw them in the skillet with the shrimps.
  6. Toss to mix the sauce with the spaghetti and serve while warm.

Γαρίδες σε Σάλτσα Λεμονιού με Σπαγγέτι

• 3 κ.σ. χυμό λεμονιού
  • ½ κ.γ. ρίγανη
  • ½ κ.γ. βασιλικό
  • 3 κ.σ. φρέσκο μαϊντανό, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 1 κ.σ. μέλι
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι
  1. Σε μια κατσαρόλα σε μέτρια φωτιά, σωτάρετε το κρεμμύδι και τις πιπεριές, μέχρι να μαλακώσουν.
  2. Προσθέστε το σκόρδο και σωτάρετε για ένα λεπτό, μέχρι να μυρίσει.
  3. Προσθέστε το κρασί, το λεμόνι, αλάτι και πιπέρι, τα μυρωδικά εκτός του μαιντανού και το μέλι, δυναμώστε τη φωτιά σε μέτρια/υψηλή και σωτάρετε μέχρι να μείνει η μισή ποσότητα.
  4. Ρίξτε τις γαρίδες και το μαϊντανό και μαγειρέψτε για 3 έως 4 λεπτά.
  5. Ενώ κάνετε τις γαρίδες ετοιμάστε τα μακαρόνια και όταν είναι έτοιμα τα στραγγίζετε και τα ρίχνετε στο τηγάνι με τις γαρίδες.
  6. Ανακατεύετε να πάει η σάλτσα σε όλα τα μακαρόνια και σερβίρετε όσο είναι ζεστά.
Αν η σάλτσα είναι αραιή δέστε τη ρίχνοντας 1 κ.γ. κορν φλάουρ διαλυμένο σε 1 κ.γ. νερό.

59 Responses to Lemony Shrimps

1. This looks so delicious and flavourful!

3. Looks amazing…by the way, I love the new look of your blog :-)

5. Manila Spoon says:

With shrimps and white wine thrown in, I can just imagine how yummy this is!

7. Your recipe looks absolutely divine!! Light, healthy and filling. Great recipe

9. Elizabeth says:

Gosh how do you make shrimps look so good! Mouthwatering, in fact!

12. The pictures of the pan step by step left my mouth watering. This dish looks finger licking good.

14. This one of my favorite combo to put together before a long bike ride. Filling, but not too heavy. Shrimp is a wonderful protein and so versatile.

16. That looks so appealing! I need to put shrimp on my menu.

18. Tara says:

I am drooling thinking about how wonderful this would be, perfect for spring!!

20. I am loving all kinds of lemon flavours at the moment.

22. These look awesome! I’ve been cooking shrimp often lately, so this fits right into my meal planning! Thanks for the recipe.

24. I love lemon with shrimp and this is a delicious quick meal.

26. Gday Katerina! Your dish looks delish, true!
    Your photos today are mouth-watering too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as part of Food Friends Friday Chili Party

28. Lisa says:

My family would LOVE these! Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/10/try-new-recipe-tuesday-october-15.html

Hi Katerina,
    Your Lemony Shrimps look delicious, we just love shrimp. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a fun weekend!

32. Diane Balch says:

Really wonderful broth that the shrimp and pasta are cooked in… classic. Thanks so much for sharing this dish with us on foodie friday.

34. It’s always an adventure visiting your blog, not only you have great recipes with all the things I love like shrimp,great photos, but there’s also always something new to learn. Thank you and thanks for sharing with us at the Fluster Buster party this week, Lizy yoru party co host

36. a quiet life says:

looks mouthwateringly delicious!

38. Katerina, I always feel more intelligent when I read your blog. Your posts have been the source of plenty of dinnertime conversations in my house. My children are like sponges and love to absorb new information. Thanks so much for sharing this with our Let’s Get Real hop readers. I love lemon with my seafood. I just love the tartness and I think it just isn’t seafood without lemon so I know I am going to love your recipe. My husband and I try to have a date night once a month. Rather than going out next time, I think I may make this for him. I know he will enjoy it very much.

41. Just spotted this recipe on the Foodie Friday link up. Looks absolutely delicious! I love shrimp, in any guise :)

Because we’re surrounded by desert here, we don’t get really fresh shrimp, but the shrimp I can get is somewhat fresh so as far as seafood it’s mostly what I buy. I’m always looking for delicious, simple little dishes and this is definitely that. I love this dish! Thanks for sharing!

45. This meal has comfort written all over it. Lovely post :)

47. Emily says:

Another beautiful recipe! I am bookmarking both of those that I am commenting on this morning. :)

49. I like the sound of lemon and honey combined. This looks seriously good.

That’s an amazing fact about Greece’s coastline. I had no idea! Your lemony shrimps look amazing. Unfortunately, I can’t serve these because of my husband’s shellfish allergies, but I can look at your beautiful photos and dream.

53. Amy Tong says:

Your lemony shrimps look wonderful and what a perfect sauce and topping for pasta. :)

55. This perfect combo looks scrumptious!

Wow, interesting that your seafood is saltier due to the Mediterranean. Your dish looks both beautiful and delicious. Even picky Bill will now eat shrimp…so I need to add this to our menu. We’d both love it.

59. Sounds wonderful so delicious!!

61. Linda says:

This looks wonderful. How many would this serve?

63. gloria says:

I love shrimps and this plate look amazing, Always I dream to know some day Greece, just beautiful!! xo

Je serai passée manger chez toi avec plaisir.

Perfect for Florida, too! Marvelous lemony sauce for this dish, Katerina.

69. I love shrimp and this little sauce sounds like it has all the beautiful flavors of the Mediterranean. Take Care, BAM

71. Mmm… that looks so comforting and summery!!

73. Yummy, now I have to go and buy some shrimps! You are making me hungry for shrimps!! :)

75. Pretty damn good pasta dish,
    i guess kaffir lime juice is the perfect lemon replacements fo my licking…

77. Wow! This looks so tempting & delicious, although I’m not a fan of seafood. Fantastic pictures!

As always, you enchant us with fascinating stories! I have never realised that Mediterranean fish and seafood is saltier than from the ocean (the fish is not as fresh here though so maybe a lot of its taste is lost in the meantime…).
    Your pasta looks absolutely delicious and so simple, provided you have good fresh ingredients. The lemon touch sounds very original.

81. I always love visiting…not only do you have a wonderful recipe but you share so many interesting facts about life in Greece.

83. cquek says:

WOW!!! totally hooked to this recipe…looks so so delicious with those enticing burst of colors…loving it

85. Jeannie Tay says:

What a lovely and delicious looking dish! I just love seafood and shrimps are the best! 😀

The flavors in these shrimps sounds delicious Katerina, like the idea of serving with pasta…yum!
    Have a great week my dear 😀

89. divya says:

looks simply yummy and mouthwatering.

91. The sauce looks mouthwatering, Katerina. This is a great meal.

Somewhere in my memory I must have known that Greece had so much water around it but it just didn’t register! But that does explain all the fabulous seafood dishes that are Greek! This one definitely included!

95. delicious,quick and absolutely comforting bowl of pasta…love the pairing of lemon and shrimps…so beautiful together :-)

97. Julie says:

Oh this looks so delicious. I love all things shrimp.

99. Yum! Great looking shrimp!

i’m slowly beginning to appreciate and enjoy shrimp, and i think this preparation sounds bright, refreshing, and delicious!

103. CCU says:

Your shrimp looks perfect 😀
    Delicious job!

CCU

105. This sauce is a great paring with shrimp, a beautiful dish. And would love to try the slightly saltier sea food where you are.

The Greeks also have fabulous romantic mythology about the sea. Almost as romantic as these shrimp!

109. Interesting facts, enjoyed reading your post.
    This shrimp dish is so simple and good, would love it for dinner.

111. Πανέμορφο πιάτο, γεμάτο αρώματα!
    Καλή εβδομάδα Κατερίνα μου!

Hi Katerina!

I don’t mind looking at these gorgeous lemony shrimp first thing in the morning at all. They look so delicious and shrimp with pasta is one of my favorite ways to eat both!

The history of the Greek Naval fleet is well documented and yes, I do know at least one of those names:)

115. ola says:

Any way of cooking schrimps is good as long as it is with garlic:)