Galotiri (Milk, Yogurt and Cheese Spread)

Galotiri.JPG

One of the things I really enjoy when visiting my father’s village is Galotiri. Galotiri means milk+cheese and it is a spread that combines the flavors of milk+yogurt+cheese. It originates from Thessaly and Epirus (areas in the mainland Greece) and can be found in two variations. The first one, which is considered to be the authentic, is made with sheep’s milk and salt. The shepherds take the milk from the sheep at the end of August when it is the thicker and fattier. They boil it to pasteurize it and add salt. It is then put in big non-reactive containers and is kept at a steady temperature of 18° to 20° C / 64° to 68° F for about 5 days whisking three times a day to help the milk germs do their job faster. After these five days the milk has transformed to a thick batter with a texture between yogurt and soft cheese something like cottage cheese. It is then ready to be consumed and it is stored in the fridge.

Galotiri.JPG

Since I consumed outrageous amounts of galotiri when I visited my father’s native place, I decided to give it a try here in Athens too. I also have decided to do both recipes the original one I mentioned to you above and the more domestic, easy to follow and equally tasty one which I will give you below. Regarding the first one, I am still in the process of transforming the milk into cheese and I will let you know on this project in the following posts. I am not sure this will succeed, because I do not have a place with the right temperature to store it and thus I put it in the fridge. But we will see.

Galotiri.JPG

Regarding the second one, it is so easy and fast I made it right away and it was a huge success. So, I am giving you this version which can easily be made at home by anyone in this world who has access to yogurt, milk and feta cheese. Yes, feta cheese is a crucial ingredient for this Galotiri.

I think after this, I will continue to consume outrageous amounts of Galotiri even here lol. Galotiri, being a spread, goes perfectly with warm bread or barley rusk or pita bread or feel free to fill the blank! It is as addictive as tzatziki.

Galotiri.JPG

Galotiri ( Milk, Yogurt and Cheese Spread)

1100 gr. / 2.5 lb Greek yogurt full fat

100 ml /  3.5 fl oz. full fat milk

500 gr. / 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled

1 tsp salt

Galotiri.JPG

Mix everything in a non-reactive bowl and place it in the refrigerator.

Let it stay for 3 to 4 days whisking three times per day.

After these days it is ready to be consumed.

Galotiri.JPG

Spread it on a warm slice of homemade bread or any type of bread or pita bread.

Keep the rest in the fridge.

Galotiri.JPG

Galotiri (Milk, Yogurt and Cheese Spread)

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer
  • 1100 gr. / 2.5 lb Greek yogurt full fat
  • 100 ml / 3.5 fl oz. full fat milk
  • 500 gr. / 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 tsp salt
  1. Mix everything in a non-reactive bowl and place it in the refrigerator.
  2. Let it stay for 3 to 4 days whisking three times per day.
  3. After these days it is ready to be consumed.
  4. Spread it on a warm slice of homemade bread or any type of bread or pita bread.
  5. Keep the rest in the fridge.
  6. You can add some dried spearmint or dried oregano or any such type of herb if you want to jazz it up a little bit.
Recipe adapted from Chef Thanos Vlachopoylos

Γαλοτύρι

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Ορεκτικό
  • 1100 γρ. γιαούρτι στραγγιστό ή σακούλας πλήρες
  • 100 ml γάλα πλήρες
  • 500 γρ. φέτα τριμμένη
  • 1 κ.γ. αλάτι
  1. Αναμείξτε τα πάντα σε ένα γυάλινο ή μεταλλικό μπολ και τοποθετήστε το στο ψυγείο.
  2. Αφήστε το να μείνει για 3 έως 4 ημέρες ανακατεύοντας τρεις φορές την ημέρα.
  3. Μετά από αυτές τις μέρες είναι έτοιμο να καταναλωθεί.
  4. Απλώστε το σε μία φέτα ζεστό, σπιτικό ψωμί.
  5. Κρατήστε το υπόλοιπο στο ψυγείο.
Συνταγή προσαρμογή από του Chef Θάνου Βλαχόπουλου

It was featured in

what i am eating

photo 9c2d3d39-9e5d-4351-b060-d6251ee13eaa_zpseda17cd5.jpg

52 Responses to Galotiri (Milk, Yogurt and Cheese Spread)

1. Feta cheese is really one of my favorites. I’m sure I would love this!

3. Sandra says:

This is one I would love to try and can’t wait to see the steps on transforming milk into cheese too!

5. I want to try making the second kind. It looks and sounds delicious! I had to look up tzatziki. It also sounds delicious!

Can you use it in place of cream cheese?

7. I adore feta cheese, this dip sounds wonderful!

9. Diane says:

I’m sold Katerina! I must try this. I love making things like this for condiments. Its going on my must make list. Thanks for sharing!

11. Lisa says:

Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I am featuring you this week! :-) The post should go live around 11pm Eastern on Monday evening. Be sure to stop by and grab an “I’ve been featured” button from my sidebar for your blog. I hope you will be able to linkup again this week.

13. You had me sold when you added feta cheese! Thanks for sharing this with the Less Laundry, More linking party.

15. Lauren says:

This looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing on Tell Us Tuesday!

Lauren @ muchadoaboutsomethin.com

17. Danielle says:

Yummy – I’ve never heard of galotiri!! Looks delish! Thanks for sharing it at the Pinterest Power Party!! =) Hope you have a great weekend!

Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

19. Anyonita says:

Oh that galotiri looks amazing! :) Great props as well! Also, if you’re looking for a new Tuesday party I run Tasty Tuesdays and every post gets pinned! Here’s this week’s party if you’d like to link up: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/tasty-tuesdays-26.html

21. What a lovely and I bet delicious spread! Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

23. I love all the colorful props in this styling, Katerina. So fun :)

25. Julie says:

This looks so delicious. We love cheese spread!

Pretty sure I want to have this spread at our next party!

29. Delicious & creamy spread, I love how simple & easy this recipe is. Wonderful presentation!

I just need to buy some feta to try making this. It sounds wonderful!

33. looks wonderful Katerina! I wish I had some of this with my breakfast this morning!

if we only take a little extra time with some things, we can have a much superior homemade version! this is a nifty process–thanks!

37. What a refreshing and easy dip. I also love your little tomato with the cucumber slices. How fun! Our family loves feta cheese and I just bought a block of it today and can’t wait to try this recipe over the weekend. Take Care, BAM

39. This spread has everything I love, the best is the feta., and you’ve made it look easy.

Oh, yes…I know I’d love Galoriri! So fun stopping by and learning new Greek recipes…you always have something special cooking for us :)

43. rosita says:

Se ve muy delicioso katy es una estupenda receta para un aperitivo …Bravo me encanta,saludos.

Ce fromage semble facile à faire et vraiment délicieux.
    J’espère trouver de la fera grecque.
    Recette notée.

It looks delicious, and I can’t believe how easy it is! That is one perfect recipe.

49. such a creamy spread,your new take on this recipe sounds easy to try at home(especially for us who have never made them) and bet they taste as good as the authentic,thanks a lot for sharing this yummy spread :-)

51. It is easy indeed! I usually need to buy feta whenever I need it and don’t always have in my fridge, but I’d love to give this a try! It’s always nice to try making some new spread recipe!

53. This sounds wonderful. I think this would be so good with toasted pitas, olives and perhaps some stuffed grape leaves.

55. Delicious looking spread!

57. So creamy and delicious…I would love this dip too.

59. Greece and Indian are equally ancient cultures and I see a few similarities between them too. Yogurt, cheese, milk combo sounds so good. They all are a very integral part of the Indian cuisine.

61. This one is certainly worthy of a summer picnic here in the Cape. I shall keep it for when the weather clears.

Katerina, here all the organic shops sell sheep cottage cheese, but I’m sure it has nothing to do with the Greek delicacy! The feta version sounds fantastic too and I will certainly try it.
    You know, I have a totally different way to prepare home fresh cheese (I have been doing it only with cow milk though). If it’s raw milk, then you simply leave it for 24 hours at room temperature, it curdles on its own and then I put it into a gauze over a pan to drip for several hours and home-made “cottage” cheese is ready.
    When I make it with pasteurised milk, I add say one teaspoon of lemon juice and heat it slowly, so that it stays warm but never hot. It tastes better though if I manage to find rennet (it’s sold in some shops here). It finally curdles and then I put it into a gauze and drain until it has the required consistency. This method doesn’t require any special temperature in the house. The method you cite sounds much more sophisticated of course and certainly gives better taste results.

What a perfect summer lunch.

67. This spread looks so creamy and delicious!!

69. I love how creamy this spread is. So simple to make and many uses. Great recipe.

This mix sounds delicious and so simple to make Katerina…and I have all the ingredients handy…
    Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a wonderful week my dear 😀

73. What a wonderful, savory spread. Yummy!

75. Dina says:

this sounds like a great dip for veggies! yum!

77. pepi says:

Καταπληκτικό!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Κρατάω τη συνταγή …..θα το φτιάξω!!!

This looks like such a rich and creamy spread and so easy to prepare. Lovely!

81. CCU says:

Beautiful spread, so full of delicious fresh ingredients 😀

CCU

What an easy and simple recipe. Just love this! I would love to eat it with some grilled chicken on the side. yummy!

WOW! Homemade cheese spread – life doesn’t get much better than this! Thanks for sharing this!

Oh Katerina!

I just love coming here to visit. You serve up thee best Greek delights! I wished I lived closer, I’d be nibbling at your door every day, lol…

Thank you so much for sharing, I’m saving this recipe. I would love to try it one day!!!

89. This looks so delicious. I would think that it would be very tasty on bread.

What great memories. I love it when food brings us back to family. This looks delicious!

93. Pam says:

It sounds delicious and I want to try it. Bet it’s great spread on a cracker! Great photos too!

95. gloria says:

this look really delicious!

97. Claire Davis says:

That sounds like a really fresh and tasty spread, thanks for sharing! Hope you had a wonderful visit!

99. How awesome to live in a town that means a type of food. I can see myself eating this non stop too. What a great spread.

Αγαπημένο, το αγοράζω από γνωστό τυροκομείο της πατρίδας μου αλλά κι από Κρητικό πρατήριο.
    Το βάζω και σε τάρτες και φαγητά.
    Φιλιά και καλή προσαρμογή μετά την άδεια.

103. That was a super easy recipe. This has similarities to American cream cheese that we often spread on bagels.

This is delightful! Enjoy.

Velva