Η συνταγή και στα ελληνικά στο τέλος της ανάρτησης!
In Greece the majority of population is Christian Orthodox. This religious form resulted from the schism of 11th Century A.D. The schism between the Eastern and Western Mediterranean Christians resulted from a variety of political, cultural and theological factors which transpired over centuries. In 1054 the mutual excommunications of the Pope and the Patriarch led to the terminal separation of the two schemes.
In Greek Orthodox scheme most of the days of the year are dedicated to one or more Saints. During these days whoever has the name of the particular Saint celebrates his/her name day and everyone calls or sends wishes. On the 27th of August is Saint Fanourios day. St. Fanourios is one of the saints that we ask to intercede for us when we lose things. His name derives from the Greek verb fanerono which means I reveal. He lived during Roman times and he was in constant persecution because of his Christian beliefs.
Tradition has it that his mother was a great sinner, and that he was unable to convert her in her lifetime. After her death he prayed more for her salvation than for his own. Fanouropita is basically a cake without eggs or animal fats – thus is perfectly fine for those fastening- that is made with 7 or 9 ingredients. The number of ingredients is not random. Seven and nine were considered to be very important numbers in divination and magic. Thus, by using so many ingredients it only empowers the ability of the pie to reveal whatever we ask for.
For several years I have tried many Fanouropitas and all of them because of the lack of eggs were somewhat dry and stiff. I thought and tried and tested in my kitchen and I finally ended up with this one which I believe makes a very moist and juicy cake as if it was bathed in syrup. Since the pan was big enough, I had the chance to give some to a few friends, who told me that it was really, really good.
So, if you have something that you lost, or something that you desperately need, go ahead and give it a try. Who knows perhaps someone will listen to you and reveal it for you!
With this cake I am participating to The Great Denby Cake Off!
Fanouropita (Saint Fanourios’ Pie)
3 ½ cups of self-rising flour
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 ½ cup white sugar
1 cup of prepared green tea
½ cup orange juice
1 cup blanched almonds, crumbled
1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 175° C / 345° F.
In your mixer bowl add all the dry ingredients.
Follow by adding all the wet ingredients.
Don’t add the almonds and raisins.
Mix well until they are all fully incorporated.
Now add the raisins and almonds.
Mix just to incorporate.
Butter and flour a 29cm/11in.round pan.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until the knife that you insert in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven.
Let it cool, dust with caster/superfine sugar and serve.
- 3 ½ cups of self-rising flour
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup of prepared green tea
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup blanched almonds, crumbled
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 175° C / 345° F.
- In your mixer bowl add all the dry ingredients.
- Follow by adding all the wet ingredients.
- Don’t add the almonds and raisins.
- Mix well until they are all fully incorporated.
- Now add the raisins and almonds.
- Mix just to incorporate.
- Butter and flour a 29cm/11in.round pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the knife that you insert in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let it cool, dust with caster/superfine sugar and serve.
- 3 ½ φλ. Φαρίνα που φουσκώνει μόνη της
- 3 κ.γ. κανέλα
- 1 φλ. σπορέλαιο
- 1 φλ. μέλι
- 1 ½ φλ. λευκή ζάχαρη
- 1 φλ. πράσινο τσάι
- ½ φλ. χυμό πορτοκαλιού
- 1 φλ. άσπρα αμύγδαλα, χοντροαλεσμένα
- 1 φλ. σταφίδες
- Προθερμαίνετε το φούρνο στους 175° C.
- Στο μπολ του μίξερ σας προσθέστε όλα τα στεγνά συστατικά.
- Ακολουθήστε προσθέτοντας όλα τα υγρά συστατικά.
- Μην προσθέσετε τα αμύγδαλα και σταφίδες.
- Ανακατέψτε καλά μέχρι να είναι όλα πλήρως ενσωματωμένα.
- Τώρα, προσθέστε τις σταφίδες και τα αμύγδαλα.
- Ανακατέψτε αργά ίσα που να ενσωματωθούν τα αμύγδαλα και οι σταφίδες.
- Βουτυρώστε και αλευρώστε ένα ταψί 29cm.
- Ψήστε για περίπου 40 λεπτά ή μέχρι το μαχαίρι που θα βυθίσετε στο κέντρο να βγει καθαρό.
- Βγάλτε από το φούρνο.
- Αφήστε το να κρυώσει και πασπαλίστε το με ζάχαρη άχνη ή σερβίρετέ το έτσι.