I am back from my last week of vacations for this summer (photographs will follow) and I feel kinda sad. In two weeks from now, schools are starting and we will be back to our winter routine. Summer is over and with it those long, lazy, out in the open days. This makes me feel a bit melancholic and depressed. I like winter and all the celebrations it brings with it, but summer has a unique magic especially in this country. Summer is so full of life, full moons, swimming, sunsets, beach walks etc. that are very hard for me to let go.
Anyway, as we say, if you cannot change things just sit back and enjoy. For the end of August and summer, I am giving you the recipe for a very fine and tasty Greek meze.
When Pola from World on a Plate told us that the theme for this month was stuffed vegetables, the first thing that came to my mind was stuffed tomatoes and peppers (Gemista in Greek). But then I thought that, this is something everyone knows and makes one way or another.
And then, when I went to the supermarket, I saw these beautiful zucchini blossoms and I immediately understood that they were there for some reason. Their mission was to become a beautiful appetizer full of Greek flavors and my submission to World on a Plate for this month!
Zucchini blossoms are very delicate and they have to be treated with care and love.
These blossoms are stuffed with feta cheese. In Greece we stuff them with rice and ground meat too. Either we fry them as in this case or we bake them.
In any way we make them, they taste deliciously and it is the perfect appetizer during warm, summer days!
This recipe is so easy and delicious you cannot believe it!
World on a plate is a blogging cultural exchange. On the last Sunday of the month, bloggers from all over the world get together to interpret a food through the lens of their home country cooking. Each blogger will produce a wonderful dish featuring the food chosen that is typical of her/his home country and will tell us a bit about the dish.
Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
21 zucchini blossoms
200 gr. / 7 oz. feta, crumbled
3 tbsp evaporated milk
2 tsp spearmint
Dash of onion and garlic powder
For the batter
4 tbsp of flour
Water until it becomes a batter as thick as the one we make crepes
Dash of salt
Wash carefully the blossoms and remove the stems.
Mix feta, milk and herbs.
Stuff the blossoms and close them carefully.
Put them in the fridge for half an hour.
Make the batter by mixing water, flour and salt.
In a pot pour olive oil and put it in high heat.
Bath the blossoms to the water/flour batter and let them drain.
When oil is hot, fry them until they become somewhat crispy.
Remove and serve.
They can be eaten warm or cold as well!
- 21 zucchini blossoms
- 200 gr. / 7 oz. feta, crumbled
- 3 tbsp evaporated milk
- 2 tsp spearmint
- Dash of onion and garlic powder
- 4 tbsp of flour
- Water until it becomes a batter as thick as the one we make crepes
- Dash of salt
- Wash carefully the blossoms and remove the stems.
- Mix feta, milk and herbs.
- Stuff the blossoms and close them carefully.
- Put them in the fridge for half an hour.
- Make the batter by mixing water, flour and salt.
- In a pot pour olive oil and put it in high heat.
- Bath the blossoms to the water/flour batter and let them drain.
- When oil is hot, fry them until they become somewhat crispy.
- Remove and serve.
- They can be eaten warm or cold as well!
- 21 κολοκυθοανθούς
- 200 γρ. φέτα τριμμένη
- 3 κ.σ. γάλα εβαπορέ
- 2 κ.γ. δυόσμο
- Μία πρέζα αλάτι και πιπέρι
- 4 κ.σ. αλεύρι
- Νερό μέχρι να γίνει ένας παχύρευστος χυλός σαν αυτόν που φτιάχνουμε τις κρέπες
- Μια πρέζα αλάτι
- Πλύντε προσεκτικά τους κολοκυθοανθούς και βγάλτε τους στήμονες.
- Ανακατέψτε τη φέτα, το γάλα και τα αρωματικά.
- Γεμίστε τους κολοκυθοανθούς και κλείστε τους προσεκτικά.
- Βάλτε τους στο ψυγείο για μισή ώρα.
- Φτιάξτε το χυλό ανακατεύοντας όλα τα υλικά.
- Σε μία κατσαρόλα βάλτε ελαιόλαδο και ανοίξτε το μάτι στη μέγιστη θερμοκρασία.
- Βουτήξτε τους κολοκυθοανθούς στο χυλό, τινάξτε λίγο να στραγγίσουν.
- Ρίξτε τους στο καυτό λάδι και τηγανίστε για ένα δυο λεπτά μέχρι να γίνουν λίγο τραγανοί.