Marinated Greek Souvlaki with Pita and Yogurt Mezé

Greek Souvlaki.JPG

Now, if there is a food that is unbreakably connected to Greece, this is souvlaki. I am sure everyone knows it and everyone has tasted the original one here or a version of it somewhere in the world.

In Greece, souvlaki is an easy and cheap meal, anyone enjoys. In almost every corner and certainly in every neighborhood, one can find at least one souvlaki diner. Some of them are excellent, some are good and some are bad just like it happens in everything.

Here, when we talk about souvlaki we mean a kebab made of pork pieces, tzatziki, onion, tomato and parsley wrapped in a pita. Souvlaki can be made also with gyros (which is very thinly sliced pork), again tzatziki, onion, tomato and parsley, or the recently arrived more ‘healthified’ version with chicken.

Greek Souvlaki.JPG

I was accepted in a  group of bloggers from different spots of this planet who, every last Sunday of the month, have to make a representative dish of their country for a specific occasion. World on a plate is an event invented and hosted by Pola from An Italian Cooking in the Midwest. This month the theme is grilling and I chose the one and only, the world’s famous Greek souvlaki to offer to you and to the event.

world_on_a_plate3.jpg

I am giving you the way I and my mother make it at home, plus a yogurt mezé that I am sure it will win your hearts, should you choose to try it. The recipe of this mezé was given to me some 20 years ago by an old lady, who was friend of mine. I have no idea who the creator of this recipe is, but what I know is that if you start digging into this sauce you will not stop until you empty the bowl. If you like tzatziki then I am sure you’re going to love this as well. It goes perfectly with souvlaki or any other grilled meat!

Greek Souvlaki.JPG

2 tomatoes, diced and seeded

2 tbsp vinegar

3 garlic cloves

Salt and pepper

Greek Souvlaki.JPG

For the Souvlaki Marinade

In a non-reactive bowl place all ingredients and the meat.

Mix well.

Greek Souvlaki.JPG

When you are ready to grill, pierce the pork pieces in the skewers.

Greek Souvlaki.JPG

For the Yogurt Mezé

Preheat oven to 175° C/350° F   .

Brush the eggplant and the peppers with olive oil.

Spread some salt.

Bake for about 15 minutes or until the pieces are soft.

Remove from stove and pour it to a strainer to get rid of the excess liquid.

Let everything cool down.

Greek Souvlaki.JPG

Mix very well and let it stay in the fridge for couple of hours.

Serve the souvlaki with the yogurt mezé on the side!

Greek Souvlaki.JPG

Marinated Greek Souvlaki with Pita and Yogurt Mezé

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Main Course
For the Souvlaki
  • 1 kilo/2 lb pork or chicken cut in thick pieces
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (feel free to add as many cloves as you like, the stronger the better)
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 2 green peppers, diced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced and seeded
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • Salt and pepper
For the Souvlaki Marinade
  1. In a non-reactive bowl place all ingredients and the meat.
  2. Mix well.
  3. Cover with a cling film and place it in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
  4. When you are ready to grill, pierce the pork pieces in the skewers.
  5. Grill for about 20 minutes, or until the meat is completely cooked and golden brown.
For the Yogurt Mezé
  1. Preheat oven to 175° C/350° F .
  2. Brush the eggplant and the peppers with olive oil.
  3. Spread some salt.
  4. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the pieces are soft.
  5. In a small pot place the tomato pieces with 1 tbsp of olive oil and boil in medium heat until they become soft about 10 to 15 minutes.
  6. Remove from stove and pour it to a strainer to get rid of the excess liquid.
  7. Let everything cool down.
  8. Once everything has cooled, take a big bowl and pour the yogurt, salt and pepper, the tomato, the eggplant and peppers, the garlic cloves and the vinegar.
  9. Mix very well and let it stay in the fridge for couple of hours.
  10. Serve the souvlaki with the yogurt mezé on the side!

Μαριναρισμένο Σουβλάκι και Γιουρτομεζές

• 2 πράσινες πιπεριές, σε κύβους
  • 2 ντομάτες, σε κύβους και χωρίς σπόρους
  • 2 κ.σ. ξύδι
  • 3 σκελίδες σκόρδο, λιωμένες
  • Αλάτι και πιπέρι
Για τη Μαρινάδα του Σουβλακιού
  1. Σε ένα γυάλινο μπολ τοποθετήστε όλα τα υλικά και το κρέας.
  2. Ανακατέψτε καλά.
  3. Σκεπάστε με μία μεμβράνη και βάλτε στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον 6 ώρες ή όλη νύχτα.
  4. Όταν είστε έτοιμοι περάστε τα κομμάτια του χοιρινού κρέατος στα σουβλάκια.
  5. Ψήστε για περίπου 20 λεπτά, ή μέχρι το κρέας να είναι εντελώς μαγειρεμένο και να ροδίσει.
Για τον Γιαουρτομεζέ
  1. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο στους 175° C.
  2. Πασαλείψτε τις μελιτζάνες και τις πιπεριές με ελαιόλαδο.
  3. Ρίξτε λίγο αλάτι.
  4. Ψήστε για περίπου 15 λεπτά ή μέχρι τα κομμάτια να μαλακώσουν.
  5. Σε μια μικρή κατσαρόλα τοποθετήστε τα κομμάτια ντομάτας με 1 κουταλιά της σούπας ελαιόλαδο και βράστε σε μέτρια φωτιά, μέχρι να μαλακώσουν περίπου 10 έως 15 λεπτά.
  6. Βγάλτε από τη φωτιά και ρίξτε τις σε ένα σουρωτήρι για να σουρώσουν από τα περιττά υγρά.
  7. Αφήστε όλα να κρυώσουν.
  8. Όταν όλα έχουν κρυώσει, πάρτε ένα μεγάλο μπολ και ρίξτε το γιαούρτι, το αλάτι και το πιπέρι, την ντομάτα, τη μελιτζάνα και τις πιπεριές, τις σκελίδες σκόρδο και το ξίδι.
  9. Ανακατέψτε πολύ καλά αλλά απαλά και αφήστε το να μείνει στο ψυγείο για μερικές ώρες.
  10. Σερβίρετε το Σουβλάκι με τον γιαουρτομεζέ στην άκρη!

61 Responses to Marinated Greek Souvlaki with Pita and Yogurt Mezé

1. Hyosun Ro says:

I love Greek food and know now where to come to learn about it. Your yogurt meze with eggplant sounds really delicious.

3. Trisha says:

This looks like something I would love, I have to try it out soon!

I’m hosting a giveaway over at my blog and would love for you to stop by and participate.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

5. I’ve had souvlaki before and it’s definitely a favorite. The meze sounds delicious, too.

This entire meal looks amazing! I remember eating Gyros from carts that were wrapped in paper as a college student in Athens! This is a perfect menu for a summer party! Thanks for the inspiration!

9. Priya says:

Great to see ur blog..fabulous recipe collections and wonderful clicks…Very glad to follow this space….

Thanks for sharing your mom’s special recipe with us! I am of Lebanese descent and we make lamb dish with a yogurt dressing! I will definitely be making this in the future! Sounds delicious!

13. Laurie says:

This looks wonderful…thanks for the recipe!

I love how fresh-flavored souvlaki always is! It really makes for the perfect meal.

17. Rita says:

Whenever we go to our Greek restaurant my husband always orders Souvlaki and I am ashamed of saying i have never make it. I just printed your recipe and will pick up the ingredients to make it this weekend; won’t he be thrillled. Thank you Katerina.
    Rita

19. What a wonderful dish to represent your country’s cooking. The yogurt meze sounds terrific! Your photos look like I could take a bite right through my computer screen.

21. Eliot says:

Thank you for sharing these delicious looking recipes! I can’t wait to try them.

What a perfect way to capture the taste of Greece! It probably is the most representative dish, and your version looks great.

25. I’ve never had souvlaki before:-(

27. Katerina, the meal looks so delicious! and pictures are perfect: I just want to grab from it! Is that you in those photos? You look very fit!

• Katerina says:

Indeed I am at the photos and I am thin, but you have no idea how many sacrifices do I have to do to keep it this way! Thank you for your kind words!

I’ve had souvlaki before, but I’d kill to have it in Greece.

31. Julie says:

This looks delicious. Love the flavors.

33. I love everything about this!!! Souvlaki is a favorite of mine, and this looks amazing. I also love the look of that yogurt meze with the eggplant in it! Yum.

Un repas qui sent bon l’été et la méditerranée.
    J’aime beaucoup.

37. Catherine says:

Dear Katarina, Souvlaki is one of my favorite dishes. I like the way you have prepared it. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

39. Ambreen says:

Sounds great! I’m sure it would be great with chicken too!

So this is the way real souvlaki looks like! Nothing to do with what I have tasted here. It looks light, delicious, full of flavours and so fresh! I also love the mezé. I will make it when aubergines and peppers are in season here.

43. What a great meal…I love souvlaki, drooling over your pics and that yogurt meze sounds yummy…

45. Vijitha says:

Another lovely grilling idea. We are a huge fan of middle eastern cooking and my husband loves pita with hummus or anything with zatar or sumac spice blend on it. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I am going to try it soon.

47. Faith says:

Such a beautiful, bright and healthy meal! Definitely one of my favorites and I loved seeing this delicious version.

49. Candace says:

Katerina, I’m trying this comment again. Your captcha didn’t like my first response. :)

This looks so fresh, healthy and amazingly delicious! I know what I’m making this next weekend. Thank you for sharing your recipes!

51. Mari says:

The marinate is very similar to what we use here in meats. I love the mustard in it, I am sure it gives it a nice taste. have a great week :)

53. Kristen says:

That yogurt sauce sounds so good. What a refreshing way to beat the heat.

55. these look delicious! awesome recipe!

57. This is so yummy! I must try it with chicken.

59. ΕΛΕΝΗ says:

Κατερίνα μου το λατρεύω εννοείται, μπράβο σου για τη παρουσίαση!!!Η σάλτσα γιαουρτιού απίθανη!!!!
    Φιλιά πολλά!!!

This is definitely what I think of when I think of Greek food. Simple healthy delicious fare!

63. Julie M. says:

The meze absolutely makes the dish. Souvlaki just isn’t complete without the dip. This is a truly gorgeous recipe Katrina!

65. Shobha says:

Hi Katerina,
    Thanks for dropping by… Pomfret is not available even in Brazil..I have also used another variety….buy any fish which has a center bone and can be removed easily to stuff the marinade.

What a marvelous dish, Katerina. Thanks to you and your mom! I love the Yogurt Mezé…

70. Margarita says:

I love all the ingredients in this dish and the other things that come along with it! I have never made souvlaki before and I really should start, it doesn’t seem that hard! Thanks for sharing a family classic… :)

72. Reeni says:

Your souvlaki looks so incredibly delicious Katerina! I would love to try your wonderful sauce. You are so right – I wouldn’t stop until the bowl was emptied!

74. Your classic version is so delectable. Does not look like street food the way you present it. And the yogurt meze looks fantastic, love eggplants is such dishes. That is a keeper.

76. Delishhh says:

Just gorgeous! I have to try the Meze!

78. Wow, this looks like an elaborate meal. But it definitely looks worth the effort, this is truly mouthwatering!

80. PolaM says:

I have to try that yogurt meze! I love tzatziki and this looks like a great sauce for grilled anything!

82. Estupenda elaboración te ha quedado de lujo,una complementación total de ingredientes,abrazos hugs,hugs.

84. Lori says:

This is my perfect meal! It looks so good! I have admit I’ve never tried to make it at home before. So glad to have this recipe. I’ll be trying your version soon!

86. julie says:

Superb n tempting one!

Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
    in the following ongoing events-
    Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
    EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

What a great idea World on a Plate is! I love having this recipe for souvlaki for grilling season. The meze sounds delicious too!

Δεν υπάρχει καλύτερο από ένα σπιτικό σουβλάκι.
    Το έχεις αποδώσει τέλεια Κατερίνα μου.
    Μα πιο πολύ μου άρεσε το συνοδευτικό με το γιαουρτι.
    Καταπληκτική φαίνεται.

92. love2dine says:

Gorgeous dish, I would totally dive in, especially with that white wine on the side

94. I love souvlaki, yours looks delicious. Saving this recipe, will definitely make it soon now that grilling season has begun!

96. Raina says:

This is a popular treat at Greek restaurants in my area. For the past years, as you have said, they have been made with chicken. A favorite place for my family and I to get them is at a sub shop run by a local Greek family. I am so happy that your shared your recipe. It looks really wonderful filled with all of the flavors I love:)

98. This is a delicious meal, Katerina! I do favor a lot of greek cuisine and this one has all the reasons as to why. Fresh veggies, tasty seasoned grilled meat and a yogurt sauce-yum! Wish I had been at your house for this meal-delicious. Enjoy the day!

100. This looks so good, it might rival all the Greek restaurants around my office!

102. Claire says:

I am excited about your recipe, my favorite thing to order at a Greek restaurant. I can’t wait to try this at home! Thank you!

104. Shobha says:

Loved this recipe..bookmarking it.

106. What a wonderful flavour combo my friend – seriously exotic 😀

108. eleni says:

Πωπω Κατερίνα… τέλειοοοοοο!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Λατρεμένο σουβλάκι!!!!!!!!!
    Φιλιά και καλή εβδομάδα!!!!!!!

110. I love souvlaki! I have not had it in ages though…I know what I am making this week! The yoghurt would be perfect with this!

112. Thanks for sharing Greek Souvlaki recipe with us. And it’s your mom’s special recipe too. This looks so delicious and perfect for grilling season!

114. Πω πω Κατερίνα μου, το σουβλάκι είναι το αγαπημένο μου φαγητό, ειδικά όταν πρόκειται για σπιτική εκδοχή του!
    Η σάλτσα γιαουρτιού πολύ δροσερή και καλοκαιρινή! ξεφεύγει από το κλασικό τζατζίκι, αλλά συνδυάζεται πολύ ωραία με το πιάτο!
    Φιλιά!

116. Miriam says:

It looks absolutely delicious!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

118. Jeannie says:

Your yoghurt meze sounds delicious and of course I love the pork kebabs best! Great combination of flavors!